PDA

View Full Version : Songs That Didn't Need To Be Covered

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 08:02 PM
i'm one that doesn't mind a re-make, as long as it adds to, rather than takes away from, the original. for instance, i like social D's version of ring of fire.

as far as songs that didn't need to be done again (and again):

big yellow taxi.

the counting crows version blows monkey a5s..........

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 08:06 PM
Any cover by a teen girl pop star evar.

Any cover of a rap song by a rock group.

I'm sure I'll think of more that **** me off in a bit.

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 08:08 PM
knockin on heaven's door and helter skelter: GNR and U2 respectively. U2's cover of HS is a plodding nightmare. and GNR's bombast period of imagined post-Appetite/Lies self-importance speaks for itself.

i think Social D's Ring of Fire is pretty average.

Thompson Twins: Revolution (ouch)

Billy Idol: LA Woman

Lenny Kravitz: Amercian Woman (another plodding POS)

at minimum: the original is vastly better in all cases.

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZz49fIhNvY&search=boy%20george

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 08:09 PM
an example of a good cover with a high degree of difficulty would be the Breeders: Happiness is a Warm Gun off of Pod (a sadly overlooked but excellent record).

IronSooner
6/23/2006, 08:22 PM
Lenny Kravitz: Amercian Woman (another plodding POS)

Best experienced as a music video on mute.

American Pie as remade by Madonna is always the first one that jumps to mind. They should have bronzed that song and made it uncoverable somehow.

Rhino
6/23/2006, 09:27 PM
Behind Blue Eyes

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/23/2006, 09:32 PM
Take My Breath Away by J Simpson

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 09:33 PM
Behind Blue Eyes
Why Fred Durst didn't end up in prison for that one is beyond me. The worst part of a terrible idea was the horrific spelling of Limp Bizikit in the middle of the song.

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 09:48 PM
Why Fred Durst didn't end up in prison for that one is beyond me. The worst part of a terrible idea was the horrific spelling of Limp Bizikit in the middle of the song.

nothing a gascan and some motivated people couldn't fix.....Durst, that is.

anyway: another good one that's legit: low spark of high heeled boys, Traffic: by Gelb Howe (former indie iconoclast with Giant Sand).....under the ARizona Amp and Alternator name.

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 09:52 PM
I forgot about Power Station's cover of Bang a Gong. One of Robert Palmer's few missteps.

Oldnslo
6/23/2006, 09:57 PM
Hooked on a Feeling was merely bad by Blue Swede,

But...

by Hasslehoff, it's as horrid as an Art Garfunkle solo album.

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 10:00 PM
I think William Shatner's "music" career should be included in this catergory.

Blue
6/23/2006, 10:03 PM
Sweet Child of Mine- Sheryl Crow

IronSooner
6/23/2006, 10:16 PM
Sweet Child of Mine- Sheryl Crow

I'd stricken that one from memory. I'll second that.

My Prerogative - Britney Spears. No explanation needed.

bri
6/23/2006, 10:31 PM
Tim McGraw absolutely BUTCHERED Ryan Adams' "Where the Stars Go Blue". I hope he dies soon, and horribly.

Strangely enough, there's also a splendid rendition of said song by The Corrs and Bono. So, you know, 66% of the time, that song doesn't suck.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/24/2006, 12:01 AM
After all these years......

Will To Power mangling NOT one BUT two songs, "Baby I Love Your Way" and "Free Bird."

Still craptastic after all these years.

Blue
6/24/2006, 12:09 AM
Alanis Morrisette- Seal's "Crazy"

AllAboutThe'O'
6/24/2006, 12:13 AM
Alanis Morrisette- Seal's "Crazy"
I forget the name, but some punk-rock band covered that song, too. Some other punk-rock band (don't know the name either) also covered the classic Cameo song "Word Up." Almost ran off the road when I heard that song for the first time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/24/2006, 01:49 AM
The several covers over the years of Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" have all been disgraceful. Someone above said there was a cover of "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" made. I can't imagine anyone's version being better than the original Traffic cut. What the heck are those people thinking?

nanimonai
6/24/2006, 06:22 AM
It's not exactly a cover but Coldplay's main riff on "talk" that was completely ripped off from Kraftwerk's "Computerliebe" bugs me to no end.

lefty
6/24/2006, 11:05 AM
http://www.fadetoblack.com/hallofshame/index1.html

Click the link, scroll to the bottom and you can hear the Pat Boone cover of "Smoke on the Water." Suckage at its finest.

Pricetag
6/24/2006, 05:11 PM
"Boys of Summer" by Don Henley. I don't know the name of the band that covered it, but it was one of those wannabe punk bands, and all they basically did was speed up the tempo.

bri
6/24/2006, 05:14 PM
That would be The Ataris...and while not great, it's far from the worst cover I've ever heard.

As far as punk/pop bands go, Smoking Popes did a LOT of fun covers...:D

Scott D
6/24/2006, 06:25 PM
The Corrs version of 'Everybody Hurts' is a billion times better than REM's version.

bri
6/24/2006, 08:58 PM
Dude, I BELCHED a version of "Everybody Hurts" that's a million times better than the original. That song is WRETCHED.

Blue
6/25/2006, 01:36 AM
http://vmusic.hp.infoseek.co.jp/wham!.jpg

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 07:13 PM
Man is this thread setting up my iTunes dl queue...