PDA

View Full Version : Raw Milk

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 07:46 PM
How many of y'all would be interested in drinking raw milk(unprocessed milk straight off the cow, no pastureization) Apparently it's a growing business for the grass dairies I visited today, despite the fact that it is illegal to advertise and sell anywhere except straight out the bulk tank in all states except California. I was just curious what interest in that kind of product there is. I will say raw milk cheese pwns regular cheese.

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 07:50 PM
i don't drink cow milk period. so no, i'm not interested.

however, i would be interested in some soy milk that didn't cost $10/gallon.

Vaevictis
6/23/2006, 07:51 PM
Isn't there a reason we pasteurize that **** in the first place?

Hoosier Dynasty
6/23/2006, 07:54 PM

Who cares? It's served us well all this time, don't change a think. . . and let the hippie new agers spend $10 a liter on milk and other "organic" foods. What a farce (and yet, a brilliant alternative arm of commerce and mechanism for luring people to spend more money than they should)

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 07:56 PM
Yes in the huge confinement dairies you have a lot more filth to worry about, in a grass fed one not so much.

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 07:57 PM
i don't drink cow milk period. so no, i'm not interested.

however, i would be interested in some soy milk that didn't cost $10/gallon.
You'll probably be waiting awhile, because Soybeans probably aren't going to get cheaper in the near future, plus there will be increase soybean demands on bio-fuel. If you want cheaper organic soy-milk, you gonna have to wait awhile.

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 08:00 PM
Raw Milk < Raw Silk

http://www.ivu.org/news/3-98/cow.jpg

oumartin
6/23/2006, 08:02 PM
milk is nasty unless its got chocolate or strawberry syrup in it.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:03 PM
nice avi martin - who's your lego boyfriend?

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 08:05 PM
nice avi martin - who's your lego boyfriend?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Newbomb Turk again.

oumartin
6/23/2006, 08:06 PM
you!

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:08 PM
you!

:D

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 08:10 PM
HEH.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:12 PM
I don't drink milk - it's bad for you.

I drink beer.

Flagstaffsooner
6/23/2006, 08:13 PM
Makes me fart.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:13 PM
Makes me fart.

beer or milk...or both?

oumartin
6/23/2006, 08:14 PM
oh man, strawberry milk used to tear me up.
let me tell you a story!

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:17 PM
oh man, strawberry milk used to tear me up.
let me tell you a story!

I'm afraid to be the one to ask.......but please do tell.

oumartin
6/23/2006, 08:23 PM
well i was workin' for a chemical company back in 99 and i started out loading railcars.. well once you start loading you had to stay with them. well i had me some strawberry milk on the way to work that morning and then started loading the railcar when i got there. there was no bathroom in the loading building.
well, half an hour in my stomach started talkin' to me and telling me i better start squeezing and moving toward a crapper. only i couldn't head toward a crapper.
i look outside and found a bucket. pulled that sucker inside the loading building and drops the pants and just absolutely exploded into that bucket.
talk about stinkin' too. and that aint all. my boss opens the door as i'm wiping with some paper towels. he sees me wiping and smells the smell and just turned and walked away..
we never said a word about it in the five years i was there. I think i really grossed him out...

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 08:27 PM
LMAO...

Martin at work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3OIGcR4uA&search=van%20wilder

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:27 PM
martin that's funnier than....well....$hit.

oumartin
6/23/2006, 08:28 PM
I'm bleeding :D

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 08:29 PM
LMAO...

Martin at work...

ST - nice!

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 08:37 PM
i think what you will see is that cheeses made from grass dairies will be very good and very boutiquey expensive....unfortunately.

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 08:39 PM
i think what you will see is that cheeses made from grass dairies will be very good and very boutiquey expensive....unfortunately.
I'm looking at it from the production end rather that the user end. It looks all more attrice that way when you see what the folks in the business are clearing.

Vaevictis
6/23/2006, 08:56 PM
Meh. Undulant fever, dysentery, tuberculosis, Q Fever, E. Coli?

I rarely drink plain ol' milk to begin with, and the organic stuff tastes plenty good as it is. I don't think the cost/benefit trade-off is worth it.

(and yeah, the organic milk around here tastes better to the point that it's worth the extra money, but raw milk would have to be euphoria-inducing for it to be so much better than pastuerized milk that I'd drink it instead.)

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 09:08 PM
Meh. Undulant fever, dysentery, tuberculosis, Q Fever, E. Coli?

I rarely drink plain ol' milk to begin with, and the organic stuff tastes plenty good as it is. I don't think the cost/benefit trade-off is worth it.

(and yeah, the organic milk around here tastes better to the point that it's worth the extra money, but raw milk would have to be euphoria-inducing for it to be so much better than pastuerized milk that I'd drink it instead.)
feeding only grass gets rid of e.coli because of the effect his has on ruminants stomach acidity. Raw milk from a clean dairy is perfectly safe. My whole family drank raw milk for years and never had an issue with it.

Vaevictis
6/23/2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, good luck with that ;)

(not because you're wrong, just good luck selling that in volume ;) )

royalfan5
6/23/2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, good luck with that ;)

(not because you're wrong, just good luck selling that in volume ;) )
You don't need volume when you get the price per hunderweight these guys are getting compared to the average dairyman who is underwater right now.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/23/2006, 11:33 PM
LMAO...

Martin at work...

Perfect

Vaevictis
6/23/2006, 11:38 PM
You don't need volume when you get the price per hunderweight these guys are getting compared to the average dairyman who is underwater right now.

Need? Nah, but you know you *want* it ;)

Preservation Parcels
6/23/2006, 11:57 PM
My grandparents were dairy farmers. For breakfast there, we ate grape nuts with raw honey and milk that had barely chilled straight from the cows. Jerseys gave the most cream. When a cow stopped giving enough milk, she filled the freezer. Little did we know how expensive that quality of organic food would become.

They always kept one bull, and Grandma warned me to stay away from him because he was mean. I asked why they kept him if he was mean. She never actually answered. It wasn't until I was married that it dawned on me.

Grandpa made cider with apples from his orchard. When Grandma wasn't looking, he would set a gallon in the sun to let it get "tingly." He didn't pasteurize that, either, and it tasted so much better than the stuff in the store.

Grandma cooked everything on a wood stove and ignored the electric one on the other side of the kitchen. Before the rest of us were out of bed, she had at least two pies, a couple loaves of bread, and a cake or two cooling near the window. The noonday meal was usually roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, two or three kinds of vegetables she had canned and stored in the North room, homemade bread, home churned butter, homemade applesauce, homemade bread-and-butter pickles, pie, cake, and cold milk.

Did anyone else's grandpa keep those little pink wintergreen mints on hand for when you were good? ;)

Sooner24
6/24/2006, 12:03 AM
My grandparents were dairy farmers. For breakfast there, we ate grape nuts with raw honey and milk that had barely chilled straight from the cows. Jerseys gave the most cream. When a cow stopped giving enough milk, she filled the freezer. Little did we know how expensive that quality of organic food would become.

They always kept one bull, and Grandma warned me to stay away from him because he was mean. I asked why they kept him if he was mean. She never actually answered. It wasn't until I was married that it dawned on me.

Grandpa made cider with apples from his orchard. When Grandma wasn't looking, he would set a gallon in the sun to let it get "tingly." He didn't pasteurize that, either, and it tasted so much better than the stuff in the store.

Grandma cooked everything on a wood stove and ignored the electric one on the other side of the kitchen. Before the rest of us were out of bed, she had at least two pies, a couple loaves of bread, and a cake or two cooling near the window. The noonday meal was usually roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, two or three kinds of vegetables she had canned and stored in the North room, homemade bread, home churned butter, homemade applesauce, homemade bread-and-butter pickles, pie, cake, and cold milk.

Did anyone else's grandpa keep those little pink wintergreen mints on hand for when you were good? ;)

Hey Grandpa what's for dinner?

http://www.cmhrecords.com/web/images/artists/9044_lrg.jpg

GottaHavePride
6/24/2006, 12:17 PM
I don't think there would be a huge market for raw milk direct to consumers. Now, selling raw milk to cheese-makers could be big - cheese is cheese because they let stuff grow in the milk curd - it'll have a lot more flavor if you don't pasteurize it.

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 12:56 PM
I don't think there would be a huge market for raw milk direct to consumers. Now, selling raw milk to cheese-makers could be big - cheese is cheese because they let stuff grow in the milk curd - it'll have a lot more flavor if you don't pasteurize it.

Precisely how does pastuerization change milk flavor? I mean, its at 98.6F when it comes out of Elsie. Then, they heat it to around 160F for a few seconds to kill the yucky microbes and bacteria. I fail to see how that could possibly affect taste. Homogenization yes, but pasteurization? No. I do know storage life is greatly less in unpasteurized milk because all that bacteria goes to work festering away in the milk and turns it sour much quicker.

I suggest a blind taste test of pasteurized vs. unpasteurized milk would result in no clear winner. Personally, I think milk taste is more about the cow's overall health and what she's been eating than any other factor. Perhaps a dairy ******-******* will enlighten us.

Big Red Ron
6/24/2006, 01:01 PM
Just imagine the first human being alive that said, "You see that cow's tits? I'm going to go suck it, cuz I fricking hungry."

OCUDad
6/24/2006, 01:05 PM
Precisely how does pastuerization change milk flavor? I mean, its at 98.6F when it comes out of Elsie.Normal body temperature of a cow is 101.5. We all want to know who you know named Elsie. ;)

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 01:07 PM
Just imagine the first human being alive that said, "You see that cow's tits? I'm going to go suck it, cuz I fricking hungry."

Imagine the first guy who:

a) opened and oyster and said, "Hmmm, that invertebrate snot-looking thing looks tasty"

b) Put grain in a crock, added water and let it fester for a month in the back of the cave. Then, upon examination, poured off a big mug of it and announced "Cheers!."

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 01:11 PM
Normal body temperature of a cow is 101.5. We all want to know who you know named Elsie. ;)

Okay, so they only have to heat it an additional 60 degrees. That makes my point more compelling.

Here's Elsie:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5008/2637701913xb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Big Red Ron
6/24/2006, 01:14 PM
Imagine the first guy who:

a) opened and oyster and said, "Hmmm, that invertebrate snot-looking thing looks tasty"

b) Put grain in a crock, added water and let it fester for a month in the back of the cave. Then, upon examination, poured off a big mug of it and announced "Cheers!."Which leads me to believe the Chinese and Japanese were some hungry mo fos at some point.

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 01:16 PM
Which leads me to believe the Chinese and Japanese were some hungry mo fos at some point.

But my wife's people are worse. They eat souse and chitterlings. You ever smelled chitterlings cooking? It reminds one of a hot afternoon in Sulphur OK.

Big Red Ron
6/24/2006, 01:18 PM
Is a chitterling like chittlins or hog guts?

Ever smelled da(sp?)? Gross.

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 01:53 PM
Is a chitterling like chittlins or hog guts?

Ever smelled da(sp?)? Gross.

Chitterlings is how they are called in polite Southern society. Chitlins is what the underclasses call them. Same thing. Disgusting.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/24/2006, 03:33 PM
I grew up on the stuff in the summer as I summered with my cousins on a dairy farm. Good tasting plus after sitting, you can skim off the cream for other uses. Very tasty!

Supposedly the pasturization destroys enzymes and such that are healthy unheated...This may change the flavor. But most milk's flavor depend on what the cow was fed. You could tell the difference on a cow fed grain vs. pastured.

Preservation Parcels
6/24/2006, 04:11 PM
Raw milk tastes creamier and pasteurized milk has just a slight "burnt" taste by comparison. It's like the difference between bread and toast, though. Both are good.

The first milk of spring still tastes different to me. It changes drastically when cows go from eating hay, grain, and silage to eating dandelions, alfalfa, and wild onions. It's probably more different in areas where the cows winter indoors because it's just too cold outside.

GottaHavePride
6/24/2006, 05:45 PM
Precisely how does pastuerization change milk flavor?

I didn't mean the milk would taste different, although PP seems to have some experience in the area. What I meant was that raw milk would be great for cheese manufacture precisely because they don't kill off the bacteria and such living in the milk. The little critters would add up to much bigger flavor as the cheese ages for months.