PDA

View Full Version : Airline reservation suggestions needed

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 03:02 PM
SO'ers, I need your help.

Mrs. Turk's brother passed away unexpectedly yesterday, and I need to get her set-up to fly back to Seattle (from OKC) where her family is - soon. I haven't flown or made any reservations in quite a few years, so I need your suggestions.

Do you use an online site like Expedia, Orbitz, etc...? If so, which do you prefer.
Are there better (cheaper and less busy) days to fly?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2006, 03:08 PM
Depends...I typically find the Airline websites are as cheap as the big travel agencies. You may want to check on a ticket consolidator (like Priceline) for lower last minute fares, but you tend to travel on their time, rather than a time of your choosing. But I have had better success going to the airline directly.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 03:09 PM
Any travel agents on here?

HELLO????? We have a serious situation here, people!

sooner n houston
6/23/2006, 03:09 PM
Call the airlines!!! They will give discounts for such emergency's.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2006, 03:11 PM
If you are a member of a frequent-flier program, go straight to the airline's website. Also, when you go straight through the airline it's usually easier fo them to help with last-minute emergencies at the airport. I've never had a problem with Orbitz, Expedia, and Travelocity either, though - check a couple of places and see which one gives you the best price for the flight you need.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 03:11 PM

I went down that road about 6 years ago when the FIL died - I didn't get any better discounts out of any airline than what I looked up on the internet as their regular price.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, as far as I can tell anymore airline travel is a discount-free zone.

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 03:19 PM

seems so. i was looking into visiting some old grad school friends in Athens, Ohio or (i know) Austin, TX...and even Frontier out of Denver is much higher than i would have guessed or even paid last year.

i guess in massive debt contributes to that.

wish i had some sage advice Newcomb.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 03:24 PM
wish i had some sage advice Newcomb.

thanks, but it's NEWBOMB damn it! :mad:
First you call Colleyville Coffeyville, now this.

;)

King Crimson
6/23/2006, 03:27 PM
thanks, but it's NEWBOMB damn it! :mad:
First you call Colleyville Coffeyville, now this.

;)

well, this a legit typo. and Coffeyville was an AM/waiting for the Italian LAvazza to kick in on teh stovetop espresso maker....subliminal thing.

but, i see how it looks.

My sincerest apologies, Tork.

:D

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 04:29 PM
SO'ers, I need your help.

Mrs. Turk's brother passed away unexpectedly yesterday, and I need to get her set-up to fly back to Seattle (from OKC) where her family is - soon. I haven't flown or made any reservations in quite a few years, so I need your suggestions.

Do you use an online site like Expedia, Orbitz, etc...? If so, which do you prefer.
Are there better (cheaper and less busy) days to fly?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Turk...

Calling the Airline is the best idea, especially if your going to need to make arrangements for quite a few folks. They do have special fares for such travel. I don't think they leave it up to the Travel Agents anymore.

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2006, 04:30 PM

yes, call and ask for a "bereavement fare"

or something like that

OUstudent4life
6/23/2006, 04:45 PM
yes, call and ask for a "bereavement fare"

or something like that

That's what it is...I used that last year when my grandfather passed away...it wasn't a HUGE discount, but every little bit helps, especially in that situation.

OCUDad
6/23/2006, 04:52 PM
Hope this isn't too late... Southwest (among others) isn't represented on Expedia and some other travel sites. They fly OKC to Sea/Tac. Contacting them directly and asking for bereavement fare may get you a more affordable flight. Condolences to Mrs. Turk.

mdklatt
6/23/2006, 04:58 PM

Airfares are nothing but discounts nowadays, which is why the airlines can't seem to make money even with full flights.

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 05:01 PM
Airfares are nothing but discounts nowadays, which is why the airlines can't seem to make money even with full flights.

Then why is the cheapest airline(SWA) the only one that makes money?

olevetonahill
6/23/2006, 05:01 PM
yep , ditto what has been said
Condolences to you and the Mrs and the rest of the family
Let us know who treats you right and we can spek em , those that try to rob you we will neg

Getem
6/23/2006, 05:05 PM

Fuel hedges. They're paying a lot less for fuel than everybody else.

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 05:07 PM
Until a few months ago...

They had the cash to hedge their full costs. Now the price has leveled off and their costs are going up just like all the rest of the Airlines. They are also looking into getting away from the first come first served / no boarding pass service they offer.

SWA is a strong Airline no doubt...but they are just as concerned about their bottom line as all the rest. Jet Blue is cancelling orders for new planes.

Tough Industry right now.

mdklatt
6/23/2006, 05:09 PM

Less burdensome union contracts, a cheaper business model, and I think they do a lot with fuel options and stock up when the price is low.

I've been on at least 15 flights on various airlines since 9/11, and there have been about five empty seats total. If they can't make money with full airplanes, they should just hang it up. Of course, maybe the flights I'm on haven't been representative of their average load factor.

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 05:15 PM
Hope this isn't too late... Southwest (among others) isn't represented on Expedia and some other travel sites. They fly OKC to Sea/Tac. Contacting them directly and asking for bereavement fare may get you a more affordable flight. Condolences to Mrs. Turk.

unfortunately, it is.

Your absolutely correct about Southwest. I used Priceline and found resonably priced tickets. After seeing your post, I checked SW and found them to be a bit cheaper.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

olevetonahill
6/23/2006, 07:21 PM
So who tried to shaft ya and who gave ya a good deal ?

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 07:25 PM
She's going to Seattle on America West - they had good prices all around.
She's returning on United - I was surprised they had a decent price.

American was high dollar.

BajaOklahoma
6/23/2006, 07:26 PM
Newbomb, sorry about your b-i-l. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

olevetonahill
6/23/2006, 07:27 PM
She's going to Seattle on America West - they had good prices all around.
She's returning on United - I was surprised they had a decent price.

American was high dollar.
Cool
give her our love . We be a bunch of smartazzes but we do have a tendency to stick together in times of need :cool:

Newbomb Turk
6/23/2006, 07:32 PM
Baja and Olevet - the Mrs. thanks you...really.

she thanks all of you. You guys are great.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/24/2006, 03:29 PM
FYI...Most airlines are phasing out "Bereavement fares". I guess the cost competition and the availability of the internet has done those in. You may still find an airline that does it, but not many do anymore.