PDA

View Full Version : POW question

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 02:49 PM
While reading about James Stockdale and him being a POW for 7 years a question popped into my noggin.

Do POWs get paid at their normal salary while a POW?

Fugue
6/23/2006, 02:51 PM
While reading about James Stockdale and him being a POW for 7 years a question popped into my noggin.

Do POWs get paid at their normal salary while a POW?

no silly, the captors will just take it, duh. :texan:

usmc-sooner
6/23/2006, 02:53 PM
I think they get a lot more. But I'm not sure.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 02:53 PM
no silly, the captors will just take it, duh. :texan:

Uh, if they knew where to mail the paycheck, he wouldn't be a POW. They'd just go get him. DUH. :D

Fugue
6/23/2006, 02:54 PM
Uh, if they knew where to mail the paycheck, he wouldn't be a POW. They'd just go get him. DUH. :D

sorry Mr. Valdez.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 02:54 PM
sorry Mr. Valdez.

:mad:

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 02:56 PM
welp, nowadays you gots to have the direct deposit to be in the military, for the most part, so they would just hold your LES' and keep on putting the jack in your account.

Fugue
6/23/2006, 02:56 PM
:mad:

heh

Okla-homey
6/23/2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, they get paid all appropriate sums including their base pay as well as allowances if they have a family. Additionally, they almost always get promoted everytime they became eligible. There were guys who were shot down early in the war as O-2's who came out of the Hanoi Hilton as O-4's.

As 1TC said, the cash just stacks up in their account until they get released.

The only guys who don't get promoted or lose pay are the very few who are tried and found to have colluded with the enemy or refused to follow orders from the senior prisoner present.

frankensooner
6/23/2006, 03:41 PM
What if you are MIA how long do they hold off paying your GI life insurance (if you bought it)?

Okla-homey
6/23/2006, 03:48 PM
What if you are MIA how long do they hold off paying your GI life insurance (if you bought it)?

On MIA's, I'm not quite sure but I think it continues until the MIA is officially declared dead.

Under certain circumstances insurance beneficiaries may bring an action to have the person declared constructively dead in order to get the pay-out. There are civil cases on the books in which people have done that when Dad goes out for cigs and never comes home yet no body is ever found and there is no evidence of his whereabouts. Don't quote me on this but it has something to do with the theory that if the d00d were alive, they would have heard something from him over a several year period. I know they are tough cases to win because some guys take a walk and don't want to be found.

jk the sooner fan
6/23/2006, 04:42 PM
they do investigations on the MIA's......if there's any kind of evidence that they may be dead, then they'll go ahead and pay the SGLI.....thats my understanding anyway