PDA

View Full Version : Your tax dollars at work....

mdklatt
6/23/2006, 01:09 PM
The air conditioning of the new National Weather Center building was not designed to handle the heat generated by CRT monitors, just flat-panel LCDs. So, everybody who has a CRT is being asked to replace it before moving in. Classic.

It makes you wonder what else they lowballed the specs on. :eek:

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 01:10 PM
good jorb architects and mechanical engineers.

:D

Pricetag
6/23/2006, 01:14 PM
WTF? Can someone explain how the type of monitor affects the air conditioning system? Any kind of A/C will lower the temperature to the desired setting, won't it?

mdklatt
6/23/2006, 01:24 PM
WTF? Can someone explain how the type of monitor affects the air conditioning system? Any kind of A/C will lower the temperature to the desired setting, won't it?

We're talking about a building that's the result of federal and university bureacracy.

It reminds me of the meetings when we were getting updates from OU Arch. and Eng. Services about the many, many problems with the Energy Center (such as bricks working loose from the upper floor facades and falling 100 feet to ground because the orginal builder hadn't bothered with expansion joints in the the mortar). After some grumbling about all the disruption the renovations were causing, we were reminded that the building was over 10 years old, so problems were to be expected. I guess that's an eternity for the builders who brought us such engineering masterpieces as the Oklahoma County jail.

Taxman71
6/23/2006, 01:27 PM
We're talking about a building that's the result of federal and university bureacracy.

It reminds me of the meetings when we were getting updates from OU Arch. and Eng. Services about the many, many problems with the Energy Center (such as bricks working loose from the upper floor facades and falling 100 feet to ground because the orginal builder hadn't bothered with expansion joints in the the mortar). After some grumbling about all the disruption the renovations were causing, we were reminded that the building was over 10 years old, so problems were to be expected. I guess that's an eternity for the builders who brought us such engineering masterpieces as the Oklahoma County jail.

Amateurs.
Sincerely,
The Egyptians

usmc-sooner
The air conditioning of the new National Weather Center building was not designed to handle the heat generated by CRT monitors, just flat-panel LCDs. So, everybody who has a CRT is being asked to replace it before moving in. Classic.

It makes you wonder what else they lowballed the specs on. :eek:

you bitch about every thing. :D

1stTimeCaller
Gooooooo Manhattan!!!!

walkoffsooner
6/23/2006, 01:30 PM
This is why you should hire people with work history.Not school history.Have found it out the hard way.

SoonerInKCMO
6/23/2006, 01:33 PM

Not if it can't remove as much heat as is being produced both from inside the building and from solar radiation. CRTs use about 3 times the power as LCDs - and generate a lot more heat as a result.

mdklatt
6/23/2006, 01:41 PM
you bitch about every thing. :D

No skin off my nose. We get to stay in the Enchanted Forest for awhile before getting moved back to the Dark Tower. A move to NWC isn't even on the horizon.

Ike
6/23/2006, 01:57 PM

when you have a building with hundreds of monitors and computers, the effect those have on AC systems is enourmous. A/C systems do not function by "lowering the temperature", but instead move heat outside the building. its an important distinction, becuase with more monitors and computers, more heat is generated inside the building, and AC units have power limitations. Thus in order to reach that desired temperature of 72 or whatever it is, you have to make sure that the AC is powerful enough to move all the heat generated inside the building.

Ike
6/23/2006, 02:02 PM
the real question here is this though:

would the difference in the price tag for the AC system if it were designed to handle all CRTs be larger or smaller than the pricetag for replacing all the CRTs with LCDs?

skycat
6/23/2006, 02:15 PM
the real question here is this though:

would the difference in the price tag for the AC system if it were designed to handle all CRTs be larger or smaller than the pricetag for replacing all the CRTs with LCDs?

If you add in the lowered energy costs, both from the switch to LCD monitors as well as from the smaller capacity HVAC, in addition to the lower cost of the smaller HVAC system, I bet it's cheaper to do it this way within a fairly short period of time.

Ike
6/23/2006, 02:18 PM
thats what I was thinking too. which is why, in the end, I don't mind so much my tax dollars being spent to replace the CRT's with LCDs

skycat
6/23/2006, 02:19 PM
Hooray for engineers!

OCUDad
6/23/2006, 02:43 PM
Ike, the threadkiller. :mad:

OUAndy1807
6/23/2006, 02:47 PM
more proof that if you ever have to build something big in Oklahoma, you need to hire a company whose name starts with the letter F and rhymes with blintco.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2006, 03:04 PM

Actually, heat load is a major aspect to HVAC and no, any kind of AC does not necessarily handle the heat load.

CRT monitors with the tubes and all generate tons of heat, older building HVACs may not be able to handle that extra load if they were designed to house offices for pencil and paper pushing...

Funny they would actually calculate a heat load based on LCD flat panels rather than CRTs. That is a rather "progressive" thought process. I wonder if they did that becuase doesn't the new forecasting workstations use LCD flat panels? Most places including my employment place is trying to reduce monitor purchases and use up the CRTs by placing the LCD panels on a medically necessary list.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2006, 03:04 PM
Uhmmm, is Flintco the devil? I haven't heard good things about them and wonder why they keep getting the contracts...

OUstudent4life
6/23/2006, 03:27 PM
don't say bad things about Flintco...they'll activate the backdoor self-destruct mechanisms in the 14,204,546 buildings they've built at OU.

StoopTroup
6/23/2006, 03:47 PM
Ike and THA are exactly correct.

I worked in a building that was 5 floors of nothing but accounting personnel for a Corporation...

They basically had to use a skycrane to put new larger heat exchangers on top of the building to cool the place. They cut through the concrete on every floor to install the needed access for the new system. This was when they were just getting everyone PC for the old monochrome (radio-active) monitors they used to use. Laptops? They didn't even know what those were. The first laptops were heavy as boat anchors anyway...

OUAndy1807
6/23/2006, 05:18 PM
Uhmmm, is Flintco the devil? I haven't heard good things about them and wonder why they keep getting the contracts...
1) when have you ever heard anything good about a contractor?
2) 95% of Flintco's work is with repeat clients, 28% is sole source (the owners don't even talk to anyone else).

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 06:31 PM
I heard Dubya is going to be there for the dedication.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/23/2006, 07:00 PM
Hooray for engineers!

From what engineering school did they come?:rolleyes: