PDA

View Full Version : best margaritas in OKC

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/23/2006, 09:32 AM
I didn't even like them until I drank one at Toby Keith's last summer. When i was in Mexico I drank a lot of them since I couldn't drink tap water.

So tell me, where are the best margaritas in the OKC area?

TopDaugIn2000
6/23/2006, 09:52 AM
I drank a lot of them since I couldn't drink tap water.

now THERE'S an excuse!!!!!! :P

TopDaugIn2000
6/23/2006, 09:54 AM
I prefer a "Club Special", which is basically the same as a margarita but made with vodka instead of tequila. tequila does REALLY bad things to me.

The Library makes the best Club Specials IMO.

frankensooner
6/23/2006, 09:55 AM
Chelinos has some extremely lethal Margaritas, be sure to order a large.

C&CDean
6/23/2006, 09:57 AM
Why do people ruin perfectly good booze by mixing it with a bunch of crap?

BajaOklahoma
6/23/2006, 10:00 AM
The "best Margarita" is so subjective.
I recommend that you try out a Margarita at each of the suggested locations and report back to us.

ASAP. TIA.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 10:02 AM
I didn't even like them until I drank one at Toby Keith's last summer. When i was in Mexico I drank a lot of them since I couldn't drink tap water.

So tell me, where are the best margaritas in the OKC area?

You know they make the ice in the margaritas with the water right?

Taxman71
6/23/2006, 10:26 AM
You know they make the ice in the margaritas with the water right?

And the sweet n sour/margarita mix also.

Taxman71
6/23/2006, 10:27 AM
Margaritas are simple. If you want the best, always order top shelf or grand gold margaritas so you are drinking premium liquors rather than the house stuff (McCormick). Top shelf or grand gold margaritas should be virtually the same everywhere you go with the exception of the ice used (if on the rocks) or salt (which I hate).

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/23/2006, 10:55 AM
You know they make the ice in the margaritas with the water right?No, they have all these trucks with "potable" water that they deliver to the bars and restaurants. Not sure why they can make that water pure, but not what's out of the tap.

etouffee
6/23/2006, 11:04 AM
Isn't asking about the best margaritas in OKC roughly equivalent to asking about the best grits in Toronto?

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 11:17 AM
No, they have all these trucks with "potable" water that they deliver to the bars and restaurants. Not sure why they can make that water pure, but not what's out of the tap.

THat's just what they tell the gringos.

Boarder
6/23/2006, 11:18 AM
Why do people ruin perfectly good booze by mixing it with a bunch of crap?
'Cause most of them are made with less than perfectly good booze.

Jimminy Crimson
6/23/2006, 11:27 AM
THat's just what they tell the gringos.

zigzagly

if you go south of the border, plan on some turd squirts. theres no way to avoid water, potable or not. what do they 'wash' the dishes with? dirty messican water. :texan:

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/23/2006, 11:28 AM
The cheapest in town and even quite decent are at Taco Cabana.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 11:29 AM
The cheapest in town and even quite decent are at Taco Cabana.

yep

GottaHavePride
6/23/2006, 11:43 AM
1. I've never had any trouble drinking water in any country I've been to, including Mexico. Of course, I also don't notice the funny smell most people complain about when there's an algae bloom in the reservoir in Wichita, either. Water is water.

2. The best margaritas are made with the good stuff. If you're ordering a house margarita you're getting crappy Triple Sec and crapy Tequila - 95% of the time it's McCormicks and comes out of a plastic bottle. Rule #1: never drink liquor that comes in a plastic bottle - it will taste like plastic, which is nasty.

3. Making your own margaritas is easy. Buy some limes, they're about 30 cents each. Get your margarita glass prepped - rim with salt and put ice in the glass. In a separate glass, squeeze the juice from one lime, add a shot of good tequila (my current bottle: 1800 Reposado) and a shot of a good orange liqueur (Grand Marnier, Cointreau, etc.) Add some ice, shake and strain it into your prepared glass. Best margarita you've ever had, guaranteed. The fresh lime is the big difference - most places use a crappy powdered sweet & sour mix.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/23/2006, 11:57 AM
Okies like their margaritas frozen. Hey, if you're going to drink a sissy drink, might as well go all the way.

Here's a differnt non "official" version of the margarita and it's good too.

1. bottle of beer (the lighter colored the better. This is about the only thing Corona is good for).
1. can of that frozen concentrate minute maid limeade
1. bottle of tequila. Here is where you splurge.

Mix a bottle of beer, can of limeade concentrate and after the limeade is out, fill the limeade can about half way full of the tequila (more or less to taste).

Put all that stuff in the ice cream maker and make it work until it looks like the frozen ones you get at the bar or restaurant.

If you don't have one of those ice cream makers, add some ice and throw all of the stuff in the blender add a little bit more tequila to counteract the ice that will melt.

prep your glass like ghp said.

LilSooner
6/23/2006, 12:16 PM
Okies like their margaritas frozen. Hey, if you're going to drink a sissy drink, might as well go all the way.

Here's a differnt non "official" version of the margarita and it's good too.

1. bottle of beer (the lighter colored the better. This is about the only thing Corona is good for).
1. can of that frozen concentrate minute maid limeade
1. bottle of tequila. Here is where you splurge.

Mix a bottle of beer, can of limeade concentrate and after the limeade is out, fill the limeade can about half way full of the tequila (more or less to taste).

Put all that stuff in the ice cream maker and make it work until it looks like the frozen ones you get at the bar or restaurant.

If you don't have one of those ice cream makers, add some ice and throw all of the stuff in the blender add a little bit more tequila to counteract the ice that will melt.

prep your glass like ghp said.

I have heard that this is the best margarita of all time.

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 12:21 PM
1.....Water is water....

and water with sh!t in it is sh!t water.

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 12:26 PM
and water with sh!t in it is sh!t water.

joo learn that at the GFSoN?

GottaHavePride
6/23/2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah. Still, I laugh at all the people that go to a restaurant in Mexico and ask for no ice in their drink because the ice is made from local water when they don't realize that the soda fountain mixes syrup with carbonated local water anyway.

If you aren't in a little tiny town in the middle of nowhere, there probably isn't anything to worry about - if the big tourist towns actually had problems that severe it would kill off their tourism.

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 12:33 PM
joo learn that at the GFSoN?

yes.

that was the chapter we studied after learning palpation of supernumerary nipples.

btw, i'll be over for your sponge bath at 5:00.

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 12:55 PM
yes.

that was the chapter we studied after learning palpation of supernumerary nipples.

btw, i'll be over for your sponge bath at 5:00.

sweet. I'm feeling awfully dirty. Are we gonna talk about palpation of supernumerary nipples?

the_ouskull
6/23/2006, 01:10 PM
The best margarita's in the OKC area are mine. Margarita's paid my rent, bills, etc... for almost a decade, and I'm old, and unattractive now, so if I couldn't make a mean drink, I'd be in severe trouble. Having said that, if you want a REALLY good recipe, PeeM me or something.

the_ouskull

GDC
6/23/2006, 01:19 PM
1. I've never had any trouble drinking water in any country I've been to, including Mexico. Of course, I also don't notice the funny smell most people complain about when there's an algae bloom in the reservoir in Wichita, either. Water is water.

2. The best margaritas are made with the good stuff. If you're ordering a house margarita you're getting crappy Triple Sec and crapy Tequila - 95% of the time it's McCormicks and comes out of a plastic bottle. Rule #1: never drink liquor that comes in a plastic bottle - it will taste like plastic, which is nasty.

3. Making your own margaritas is easy. Buy some limes, they're about 30 cents each. Get your margarita glass prepped - rim with salt and put ice in the glass. In a separate glass, squeeze the juice from one lime, add a shot of good tequila (my current bottle: 1800 Reposado) and a shot of a good orange liqueur (Grand Marnier, Cointreau, etc.) Add some ice, shake and strain it into your prepared glass. Best margarita you've ever had, guaranteed. The fresh lime is the big difference - most places use a crappy powdered sweet & sour mix.

GHP has it right except they need to be actual Mexican limes, you can taste the difference. Also I prefer Triple Sec.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2006, 02:55 PM
GHP has it right except they need to be actual Mexican limes, you can taste the difference. Also I prefer Triple Sec.

Very true. And there's good Triple Sec and bad Triple Sec. ;)

BajaOklahoma
6/23/2006, 03:49 PM
Frozen Margaritas are the best.

And be sure to check out the calorie count. It really sucks.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/4/2006, 01:05 AM
The best margarita's in the OKC area are mine. Margarita's paid my rent, bills, etc... for almost a decade, and I'm old, and unattractive now, so if I couldn't make a mean drink, I'd be in severe trouble. Having said that, if you want a REALLY good recipe, PeeM me or something.

the_ouskull

No doubt. Thanks for the recipe.

Seriously, people.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2006, 01:07 AM
For all of you coming down to Waco for the game this year write this down:

Get a Ninfarita at Ninfa's. They're like 1.25 and they're the BEST margarita you'll have this side of the Rio Grande.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 01:46 AM
No doubt. Thanks for the recipe.

Seriously, people.

Agreed. Soon as I'm offa my steroids I'm making one of those. And next time I'm through Waco I'll remember Ninfa's.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2006, 02:46 AM
Agreed. Soon as I'm offa my steroids I'm making one of those. And next time I'm through Waco I'll remember Ninfa's.

Sweet, send me a PM whenever you happen to head my way and the drinks will be on me.