PDA

View Full Version : Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise..........

Sooner24
6/22/2006, 11:29 PM
On Saturday October 14th 2006 I will attend my 200th consecutive OU home game when we play Iowa State.

That goes all the way back to the opening game of the season on September 16th 1972 against Utah State.

Also if I don't miss a home game this season it will be 35 seasons in a row with out missing a home game.

olevetonahill
6/22/2006, 11:48 PM
Salut :cool:

TheGodfather889
6/23/2006, 12:08 AM
Congratulations for being a true Sooner fan!

Flagstaffsooner
6/23/2006, 12:31 AM
Wow, grats.

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 12:46 AM
sooner24 must have been the other dude in the stadium back in about '81 against colorado when it was pis5ing down buckets.....

i actually went down and stood in the NW corner of the end zone during the 4th quarter. why not, there wasn't anyone there to stop me......

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 06:25 AM
sooner24 must have been the other dude in the stadium back in about '81 against colorado when it was pis5ing down buckets.....

i actually went down and stood in the NW corner of the end zone during the 4th quarter. why not, there wasn't anyone there to stop me......

Funny story, Right before halftime of that game the guy I was with and myself started up to the upper deck to see a friend of mine. We walk all the way up to the upper deck and just as we come out of the tunnel the skies opened up. I have never seen it rain, at any sporting event, like it rained that day. The buddy we went up to see and his mom are soaked and said they were leaving to go back to Ardmore. The guys brother said he was staying and so we just sat up in the upper deck with him. 70% of the stadium cleared out and never came back and here we are sitting in the upper deck getting drenched. They turned on those little stadium lights, they used to have, but the field was covered in water and the glare was so bad they had to turn them off. About half way through the third quarter, the radio guy says "there are just a few thousand people left at the game but that doesn't include the people sitting under the upper deck because we can't see them." Well bingo we all decide to go see if there are any seats under the upper deck. We walk down and the money seats were mostly empty too. We parked it on the fifty yard line and watched the rest of the game out of the rain. Not that it matter we were soaked to the bone and when I got home even my billfold was soaked all the way through and I had to take everything out to dry and buy a new billfold.

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 06:39 AM
We got season tickets for the first time in 1972 when I had just turned 17 years old. My dad told me he was going to let me drive my brother, who was 15 at the time, to the Utah State game. He told me to be careful and if OU lost to not get mad and have an accident. We parked at the corner of Timberdale and Asp and went to the game. I had never driven anywhere like this and was pretty nervous but made it up fine. After the game we get in the car to come home and there is just one car in front of me trying to get out of the parking lot. As the guy in front of me whips out onto Asp he hits a car. Both cars were dented up pretty good but neither driver got out. The guy in front of me just backed up and the other car took off. I was sitting there in stunned disbelief at what had just happened. I was just sure something like that was going to happen to me but I made it home just fine.

MiccoMacey
6/23/2006, 08:07 AM
Congrats.

You're apparently much older than I thought you were. :D

zeke
6/23/2006, 08:38 AM
good stories 24, congrats! I think the consecutive games you will see this year will be loaded with fun. Boomer Sooner

C&CDean
6/23/2006, 09:00 AM
Keep the streak alive Greg!!

swardboy
6/23/2006, 09:21 AM

Thank goodness my wife and I brought our ponchos in that day. Wasn't bad for us staying dry....highly recommend them.

Luthor
6/23/2006, 10:59 AM
On Saturday October 14th 2006 I will attend my 200th consecutive OU home game when we play Iowa State.

That goes all the way back to the opening game of the season on September 16th 1972 against Utah State.

Also if I don't miss a home game this season it will be 35 seasons in a row with out missing a home game.

You Sir deserve props from any and all fans. A fan with that caliber of pedigree gets respect from even the most ardent rival.

Snrfn4ever08
6/23/2006, 11:03 AM

i hope to be like you someday. sir, you have just become my life heroHook 'em

OKLA21FAN
6/23/2006, 12:24 PM

so when do you get honored at half time and get one of the neato recognition plaque dealios? (and maybe a game jersey)

TheUnnamedSooner
6/23/2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, there was about 10 of us at the aTm game in 1997. Great job Sooner24!!

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 12:57 PM
I am thinking about doing a, "My Favorite Game" from each year, 1972-2005, telling a little bit about why that was a favorite, leading up to the first game of the season.

Boy 2000 is going to be a killer to pick a favorite from. :D

SoonerStormchaser
6/23/2006, 01:00 PM
SPEK!

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 01:00 PM

We sat through the whole thing too. Not even the coldest OU game at home I have sat through either. Of all the players on that team the one I felt worst for was Kelly Gregg. He always gave 110% but as a team we were so inept it wasn't funny.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/23/2006, 01:55 PM

C'mon 24, if you're gonna make the list from the home games that you've attended, 2000 is a cinch.... And that would be the Red October clincher. I have never heard the stadium as loud as it was that day. I remember one timeout early in the third quarter when Boomer Sooner got started, without help from the cheerleaders I might add, and the place was literally shaking... the place was beyond geeked up...

snp
6/23/2006, 02:17 PM
Geez, 200 consecative home games? That a looong time.

Hope we don't have any night games this year or you might miss out ;)

Seriously, that's incredible. Nicely done.

Phil
6/23/2006, 03:37 PM
200 HOME games? HOME? HOME?

Sometime next season (depending on Big 12 Championship Game/Bowl Game participation in 2006), I will attend my 200th consecutive OU game. Not HOME game. Game.

Amateur.

:hmfic:

Sooner_Bob
6/23/2006, 03:55 PM

Very cool . . .

Phil
6/23/2006, 04:06 PM
No, seriously, 24, congrats.

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 04:25 PM
C'mon 24, if you're gonna make the list from the home games that you've attended, 2000 is a cinch.... And that would be the Red October clincher. I have never heard the stadium as loud as it was that day. I remember one timeout early in the third quarter when Boomer Sooner got started, without help from the cheerleaders I might add, and the place was literally shaking... the place was beyond geeked up...

If I just do the home games Nebraska hands down. I was thinking about doing one game from each year not just home games.

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 04:32 PM
No, seriously, 24, congrats.

Thanks. :)

Right now I stand at 252 games total with 196 of those being at home. I have been to 24 Texas games, and the rest are away games, Big 12 championships or bowl games.

Between the two of us we are getting close to 500 games. :eek:

soonerlaw
6/23/2006, 04:44 PM
So I guess that means you probably don't want to sell your season tickets. :D

Seriously, that is a great feat. You are a very lucky man to have experienced that much sooner football.

TheGodfather889
6/23/2006, 04:46 PM
That is actually an easy pick. Nebraska was the best home game that year. That was the loudest crowd I've ever heard at Owen Field.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/23/2006, 04:48 PM
If I just do the home games Nebraska hands down. I was thinking about doing one game from each year not just home games.

You know what is a little depressing for me for the home games I've attended... it's that many of the games that really stand out for me were losses... and losses to non-conference teams at that.

West Virginia
Stanford
Ohio State
USC (twice)
Miami

Ugh! Each extremely painful in their own way.

But then, for non-conference games I've been to at home... that Bama game will be really hard to beat!

But there might be one that can do it... next year. Great googly moogly I want us to beat those damn Hurricanes so bad I can taste it!!!

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 04:51 PM
200 HOME games? HOME? HOME?

Sometime next season (depending on Big 12 Championship Game/Bowl Game participation in 2006), I will attend my 200th consecutive OU game. Not HOME game. Game.

Amateur.

:hmfic:

I bow to greatness. http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/bow.gif

Let us know when you hit it.

The person that I would guess saw the most OU football games and will probably never be topped was Steve Newman (sp). I heard him say he attended every OU game home and away with his dad, and later doing the games himself, from the late 50's until he retired a couple of years before he died well into the 2000's.

Sooner24
6/23/2006, 05:12 PM
You know what is a little depressing for me for the home games I've attended... it's that many of the games that really stand out for me were losses... and losses to non-conference teams at that.

West Virginia
Stanford
Ohio State
USC (twice)
Miami

Ugh! Each extremely painful in their own way.

But then, for non-conference games I've been to at home... that Bama game will be really hard to beat!

But there might be one that can do it... next year. Great googly moogly I want us to beat those damn Hurricanes so bad I can taste it!!!

Boy we made that West Virgina QB look like a Super Bowl winning QB didn't we? Well I guess we made that Standford fellow look about as good. ;)

Stanford game story.

We left Ardmore and it was pouring down rain. We get to Norman and it's pouring down rain. We go to the stadium and it's pouring down rain. (See where I am going with this?) ;) Anyway we get inside set down and right before the game starts they come over the PA and say tag # so-and-so has left their lights on. I jokingly say to the guy with me "hey run back to the car and make sure I turned my lights off".

After sitting in the rain and watching Elway pick us apart all afternoon, we get back to the car only to find out I really did leave my lights on. :O

I got out opened the hood and the next car by stopped and ask if I needed a jump. I could not believe anyone would stop as no one was in a very good mood. Car started and we drove all the way back home in, you guessed it, the rain.

I loved Bobby Proctor but it sure seemed like the passing teams just ate our lunch. In his defense that day we couldn't keep our feet because of the wet turf but I really doubt it would have made any difference.

TheGodfather889
6/23/2006, 07:02 PM
I bow to greatness. http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/bow.gif

Let us know when you hit it.

The person that I would guess saw the most OU football games and will probably never be topped was Steve Newman (sp). I heard him say he attended every OU game home and away with his dad, and later doing the games himself, from the late 50's until he retired a couple of years before he died well into the 2000's.
Was he the one who got honored it seemed like at every home football game? If it wasn't him then the guy I am thinking about hadn't missed a game in 50 years.

Sooner95
6/23/2006, 09:27 PM
man, truely great thread SPEK and great stories. You saw Elway? damn, that would have been great, rain or snow, for sure..

Keep it up, keep the streak alive. Boomer Frakin Sooner!

OKC-SLC
6/23/2006, 10:41 PM
i must have been sitting next to you right behind the OU bench that second half--i'll never forget seeing all the goofing off going on on that bench down 35.

MamaMia
6/24/2006, 01:51 PM
I love the stories about how people will stay, or make it possible to be able to cheer on the Sooners. I have a little story I would like to share.

My husband and I were with our daughter on Oct. 14th during an ultrasound and an amnio, which showed she and the baby were doing very well. As a result, her physician decided to take our grandaughter by C-Section that following Saturday. The physician told us that he planned to schedule the procedure for Oct. 18th, 10:00 am, at Mercy hospital. We were to play Missouri in Norman early that same Saturday afternoon.

I reminded the physician that my husband and I had specifically requested that unless there was some type of complication, that the delivery be done as to not interfer with an OU football game. I then explained that we wouldnt have time to make fuss over my daughter, do the whole 'new arrival, photo/video camera baby thing' and make the game as well, if he does the C-Section that late in the morning.

He grinned and said..."This week is full. Saturday is the only day I have free, and since I have nothing planned for that day, its a good time for me to do the procedure and be able to get home just in time to watch the game."

That very afternoon, we were able to come up with a couple of extra tickets to the game and had them delivered to his office. He and his brother had a wonderful time at the game. :D

My daughter was able to watch OU beat Missouri from her hospital room and everyone lived happily ever after.

~THE END~

TheLadiesMike
6/24/2006, 04:59 PM

Awesome. You're a great Sooner!

soonerboy_odanorth
6/25/2006, 12:48 PM
Boy we made that West Virgina QB look like a Super Bowl winning QB didn't we? Well I guess we made that Standford fellow look about as good. ;)

Stanford game story.

We left Ardmore and it was pouring down rain. We get to Norman and it's pouring down rain. We go to the stadium and it's pouring down rain. (See where I am going with this?) ;) Anyway we get inside set down and right before the game starts they come over the PA and say tag # so-and-so has left their lights on. I jokingly say to the guy with me "hey run back to the car and make sure I turned my lights off".

After sitting in the rain and watching Elway pick us apart all afternoon, we get back to the car only to find out I really did leave my lights on. :O

I got out opened the hood and the next car by stopped and ask if I needed a jump. I could not believe anyone would stop as no one was in a very good mood. Car started and we drove all the way back home in, you guessed it, the rain.

I loved Bobby Proctor but it sure seemed like the passing teams just ate our lunch. In his defense that day we couldn't keep our feet because of the wet turf but I really doubt it would have made any difference.

I don't know which was worse... the rain that game or the heat in that 0-12 loss to USC. It was so hot that day everything just looked....yellow... and I have no idea how many people they carried out on stretchers due to heat exhaustion that day, but it was plenty...

And that band...kept....playing...all....game....long.....: mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

fossil
6/25/2006, 07:22 PM

:eek: Dayum!!! You gotta be about as old as that lowest layer of rock in Grand Canyon. Congrats on the homegame string!

critical_phil
6/25/2006, 07:50 PM
....I loved Bobby Proctor....

i had never heard the "F" word until i went to an OU practice and heard him chewing out the DB's. Proctor used it as a noun, verb, and adjective all in the same sentence......and at the top of his lungs.

Primo
6/25/2006, 09:38 PM
Sweet.

That is a lot of dedication, patience and good health!:D

goingoneight
6/25/2006, 09:42 PM
Well, have you ever taken classes at OU??? Poser... :D

SPEK!!! As long as we have folks like yOU, we're in good shape... :D

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 04:34 PM
Well, have you ever taken classes at OU??? Poser... :D

SPEK!!! As long as we have folks like yOU, we're in good shape... :D

Well my brother graduated from there in 1980 and my son will be starting his soph. year in August. Does that count? ;)

sooner94
6/28/2006, 12:17 PM
Well my brother graduated from there in 1980 and my son will be starting his soph. year in August. Does that count? ;)

I think Boren should give you an honorary PHD. Something like a Doctorate of Footballology.

Thanks for the stories and dedication.

Sooner24
9/24/2006, 03:52 PM
I now stand at 199 in a row at home.

mosoon
9/24/2006, 06:34 PM
What was the closest you came to missing a game?

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 06:45 PM
mosoon lives! We need to take up a collection to get Mosoon some sponsor privileges, or something.

TUSooner
9/24/2006, 07:15 PM
Good on ya! Keep it up!