PDA

View Full Version : So has USA lost to Ghana yet?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/22/2006, 11:23 AM
foosball is the devil!

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 11:24 AM
really?

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 11:25 AM
Lost 2-1.

We suck.

sooneron
6/22/2006, 11:29 AM
Yep, let's start calling for the coach's head like he's Calvin Simpson.

TUSooner
6/22/2006, 11:30 AM
Lost 2-1.

We suck.
NO. When they WIN it's "we"; when they suck, it's "they." ;)

The USA's performance was as lame as this post.

Penguin
6/22/2006, 11:43 AM
Is it real hard to keep possession in soccer, or does the US offense really, really suck?

I never saw one US guy be able to control and keep the ball for more than 3 seconds.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 11:47 AM
well one shot on goal through the first 3 games...leads me to believe we suck on offense ;)

skycat
6/22/2006, 11:49 AM
well one shot on goal through the first 3 games...leads me to believe we suck on offense ;)

Obligatory Chuck Long post.

GDC
6/22/2006, 11:54 AM
*yawn*

oumartin
6/22/2006, 11:59 AM
they're still the best U.S. world cup soccer team in America at this time!

BeetDigger
6/22/2006, 12:01 PM

Technically, they are not in America at the moment.

TUSooner
6/22/2006, 12:02 PM

High praise indeed!

49r
6/22/2006, 12:04 PM
I made a pledge last night before going to bed that I wouldn't shave again until the USA was eliminated from the World Cup.

So I didn't shave today.

Jimminy Crimson
6/22/2006, 12:05 PM
Horrible call to give the Ghanians the goal to go up 1.

F'n refs.

Fugue
6/22/2006, 12:09 PM
they're still the best U.S. world cup soccer team in North America at this time!

heh
South, not so much.

oumartin
6/22/2006, 12:12 PM
oops, you are right Fugue

Fugue
6/22/2006, 12:14 PM
oops, you are right Fugue

once they cross the Mexican border going south, pwned.

Penguin
6/22/2006, 12:19 PM
Horrible call to give the Ghanians the goal to go up 1.

F'n refs.

AMERICAN HOOLIGANS HAVE BEGUN RIOTING IN THE STREETS OF MANHATTAN!!!!

49r
6/22/2006, 12:20 PM
heh
South, not so much.

How many U.S. World Cup soccer teams are there in South America? :confused:

slickdawg
6/22/2006, 12:35 PM
IF the US winds the World Cup this year, I will become a whorn fan.

RacerX
6/22/2006, 12:37 PM

I think the soccer coach can make as many phone calls as he wants.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 01:06 PM
Did you guys know that the United States is 0-6-4 in games refereed by Joey Crawford over the last 12 years ;)

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 01:12 PM
Ghana? Where the hell is Ghana?

Let's see, here's a little *** place between Ivory Coast and Togo somewhere on the west coast of Africa. You can book a reservation at a grand total of 6 hotels.

And they waxed our asses.

All you soccer lovers need to move over there. Let me know if you want me to make you a hotel reservation.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 01:15 PM
Actually if Ghana doesn't get their sacred white bat "shikaca" they are going to burn the world cup down!!!!

TexasLidig8r
6/22/2006, 01:18 PM
IF the US winds the World Cup this year, I will become a whorn fan.

5 entries found for winds.
wind2 http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2 Fwinds) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (whttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifnd)
v. wound, (wound) wind·ing, winds
v. tr.

To wrap (something) around a center or another object once or repeatedly: wind string around a spool.
To wrap or encircle (an object) in a series of coils; entwine: wound her injured leg with a bandage; wound the waist of the gown with lace and ribbons.

<LI type=a>To go along (a curving or twisting course): wind a path through the mountains.
To proceed on (one's way) with a curving or twisting course.
To introduce in a disguised or devious manner; insinuate: He wound a plea for money into his letter.
To turn (a crank, for example) in a series of circular motions.

<LI type=a>To coil the spring of (a mechanism) by turning a stem or cord, for example: wind a watch. <LI type=a>To coil (thread, for example), as onto a spool or into a ball.
To remove or unwind (thread, for example), as from a spool: wound the line off the reel.
To lift or haul by means of a windlass or winch: Wind the pail to the top of the well.v. intr.

To move in or have a curving or twisting course: a river winding through a valley.

<LI type=a>To move in or have a spiral or circular course: a column of smoke winding into the sky.
To be coiled or spiraled: The vine wound about the trellis.
To be twisted or whorled into curved forms.
To proceed misleadingly or insidiously in discourse or conduct.
To become wound: a clock that winds with difficulty.Ok Slickster... technically the US team did wind its way through the World Cup.. they proceeded misleadingly disguised as an actual soccer team.

Therefore, they did "wind" through the World Cup.

Welcome to the Light and Everything that is good and just. Sing it with me now..

"The eyes of Texas are upon you...." :D

Scott D
6/22/2006, 01:19 PM

<----was calling for his firing before the WC started..thanks :)

Taxman71
6/22/2006, 01:20 PM
Actually if Ghana doesn't get their sacred white bat "shikaca" they are going to burn the world cup down!!!!

If you ever meet someone from Ghana that you like, be sure to hack a big aggie in his face as a sign of affection.

Scott D
6/22/2006, 01:20 PM

Let's see, here's a little *** place between Ivory Coast and Togo somewhere on the west coast of Africa. You can book a reservation at a grand total of 6 hotels.

All you soccer lovers need to move over there. Let me know if you want me to make you a hotel reservation.

you still haven't begun to humor me Chainsaw Taint...newest 'star' of ECW.

Hatfield
6/22/2006, 01:22 PM
ghana actually asked their residents to cut back on their water usage and other electrical/magical wonders in order that there would be enough electricity to power the televisions.

true story.

bri
6/22/2006, 01:23 PM

Dude, they're 'Rebels' now. ;)

And foosball isn't the debil...sucking at it is. :D

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 01:23 PM

May I introduce my new tag team partner "Soccer Scott D!!"

Where's the midgets?

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah I went to look at their roster on ECW.com to look up some info on Big Guido and it took me a good two minutes before i connected rebels with roster :P The Big Guido is the most obscure wrestler ever, even obsessedwithwrestling.com has ABSOLUTELY no information on him :P

bri
6/22/2006, 01:37 PM
Well, that's because they're obsessed with wrestling, not jobbers. :D

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 01:45 PM

And all the basketball lovers should move to Argentina?

You should stick to the puppy dog threads.

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 01:45 PM
May I introduce my new tag team partner "Soccer Scott D!!"

Where's the midgets?

SSD? I like it.

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 01:53 PM
And all the basketball lovers should move to Argentina?

You should stick to the puppy dog threads.

Huh? How many Ghanas could you fit inside Argentina?

You should stick to neo-political nonsense threads.

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 01:55 PM
You'll need to give me the specific geographical size, population, and GNP of the countries that it is acceptable for the U.S. to lose to before I can continue this discussion.

And, for the record, I prefer the threads on religion.

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 02:01 PM
You'll need to give me the specific geographical size, population, and GNP of the countries that it is acceptable for the U.S. to lose to before I can continue this discussion.

And, for the record, I prefer the threads on religion.

Heh.

Let's take all the other mainstream sports. Let's take our best players in those sports and ask Ghana to field their very best team/s. How do you think it would go?

Yes, I know, those chillrens been kicking shrunken heads all over the pasture since they were 3, but with our technology, sports medicine, training facilities, etc., etc., etc. you'd think we would be able to give those boys a game.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/22/2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, I know, those chillrens been kicking shrunken heads all over the pasture since they were 3, but with our technology, sports medicine, training facilities, etc., etc., etc. you'd think we would be able to give those boys a game.

Our resident soccer freak/expert/coach here at the office said the same thing. He said all the soccer folks always gripe about this country not supporting it like we do the 'mainstream sports' but then when we have the chance to show what we've got we come out totally unprepared.

He said that there was more interest, more TV coverage and more fan support this year and our team should have taken the opportunity to show why we should support it more but we didn't.

He said we just stank it up on the basics and when you do that against good players, no matter where they're from' you're gonna get beat.

Oh, well. Maybe next World Cup...

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 02:28 PM
with our technology, sports medicine, training facilities, etc., etc., etc. you'd think we would be able to give those boys a game.

We freakin' INVENTED basketball and yet failed to even get to the Gold Medal game.

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 02:29 PM
We freakin' INVENTED basketball and yet failed to even get to the Gold Medal game.

What, once or twice? We suck at soccer all the time.

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2006, 02:29 PM

once or every year?

TIA

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 02:31 PM

Yeah. We put together a bunch of prima donna thugsters and called them a "team."

Allegedly, our WC team is the best we've got to offer. How sad is that?

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 02:32 PM
We are like the Aggies of Soccer....excuses...excuses....Maybe Bill Gates can become U.S.A's Boone Pickens ;)

Scott D
6/22/2006, 02:34 PM

[american sports superiority mentality]a canadian invented it, that's why we didn't win...damn canadians[/american sports superiority mentality]

Scott D
6/22/2006, 02:36 PM
What, once or twice? We suck at soccer all the time.

boy thank god the baseball team saved our bacon in the baseball world cup...oh wait ;)

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 02:36 PM
boy thank god the baseball team saved our bacon in the baseball world cup...oh wait ;)

Dude, everybody knows Fidel Castro invented beisbol.

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah. We put together a bunch of prima donna thugsters and called them a "team."

Allegedly, our WC team is the best we've got to offer. How sad is that?

So, if someone likes soccer and the US soccer team gets beat by a small country in Africa then that someone should move to that country.

If someone likes basketball and the US basketball team loses, they should just say "yeah, but we didn't try very hard".

I'm just trying to understand your position here.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 02:43 PM
SAS is Dean's troll handle...just put one and two together ;)

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 02:44 PM
So, if someone likes soccer and the US soccer team gets beat by a small country in Africa then that someone should move to that country.

If someone likes basketball and the US basketball team loses, they should just say "yeah, but we didn't try very hard".

I'm just trying to understand your position here.

My position? Right behind you.

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 02:46 PM
[american sports superiority mentality]a canadian invented it, that's why we didn't win...damn canadians[/american sports superiority mentality]

The thing I hate about the general view of soccer by America is that if we can't dominate it we just shouldn't play at all.

I'm all for winning. I don't want our soccer team to be a cellar dweller. I want to get better. But I don't see the need to stop supporting my team just because they aren't all that good. I guess I need a little more "fair weather fan" in my blood.

And this is the second "aggie" reference I've seen in relation to my support of USA men's soccer. If supporting your team even when you lose is "aggie" then sign me up.

Scott D
6/22/2006, 02:47 PM
Dude, everybody knows Fidel Castro invented beisbol.

and commies invented american football so we should just hate everything :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 02:48 PM
Nah...Aggie is when people complain about our draw and then talk about lack of support and excuse is made for finishing towards the back of the pack!

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2006, 02:48 PM
And this is the second "aggie" reference I've seen in relation to my support of USA men's soccer. If supporting your team even when they never win and then make excuses when they don't win year after year after year is "aggie" then sign me up.

fixed

Scott D
6/22/2006, 02:49 PM
The thing I hate about the general view of soccer by America is that if we can't dominate it we just shouldn't play at all.

I'm all for winning. I don't want our soccer team to be a cellar dweller. I want to get better. But I don't see the need to stop supporting my team just because they aren't all that good. I guess I need a little more "fair weather fan" in my blood.

And this is the second "aggie" reference I've seen in relation to my support of USA men's soccer. If supporting your team even when you lose is "aggie" then sign me up.

not supporting your team when you lose is *fairweather*. believing your team is a good team even if they end up losing isn't *aggie*. Hell, we all know the 2004 Sooner team was a good team even if they laid an egg in their most important game of the season...we still supported them, I guess that'd make us all guilty of being *aggie*.

People don't have the right perspective on our national team when it comes to the progress that has been made, especially in a sport where there is very little public support.

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 02:50 PM
IMO our draw was tough but winnable.

I don't think more fan support would suddenly make our players have better skills.

Looks like I'm safe!

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah Yeah!!! It's killing you to come up with some excuse to blame someone else ;)

Scott D
6/22/2006, 03:01 PM
IMO our draw was tough but winnable.

I don't think more fan support would suddenly make our players have better skills.

Looks like I'm safe!

better fan support never hurts. The only draw I think we would have had a harder time in than the one we got would have been to be in the group with Argentina and Holland.

Octavian
6/22/2006, 03:29 PM
[Kent Brockman]Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. :rolleyes: Holds it...[/KB]

[Mexican Announcer]Halfback passes to center. Back to the wing. Back to center. Center holds it! Holds it! :D Holds it!![/Mexican Announcer]

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:19 PM

That's exactly why we suck at soccer. Technology and training facilities mean absolute jack **** in soccer. The best players are guys that play all day every day since they were tiny kids. They don't even necessarily play organized games - they just spend enough time kicking a ball around that they know exactly where it's going without ever looking at it.

We Americans approach a sport and dissect it to figure out new scientific ways to get more performance out of an athlete and forget that if you're approaching it as work and calculating everything you're going to get your *** handed to you by the guy that does it all instinctively and enjoys doing it.

Basically, if we want to be good at soccer we need to encourage the little kids that enjoy it rather than saying "Soccer sucks, but you're talented so here's a football (or basketball or baseball) instead."

Octavian
6/22/2006, 04:23 PM
Basically, if we want to be good at soccer we need to encourage the little kids that enjoy it rather than saying "Soccer sucks, but you're talented so here's a football (or basketball or baseball) instead."

so...you're sayin we're never gonna be good. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 04:24 PM
So you are saying America is Ivan Drago and the World is Rocky Balboa!!!

sanantoniosooner
6/22/2006, 04:27 PM
I'm just glad we didn't lose to them at GhanArena.

Horrible place.

Taxman71
6/22/2006, 04:39 PM

When soccer players at OU start getting laid as much as Bomar and Gundy (in his heyday), we might start getting good. Until then, Euro futbol will be left to the spastic kids with bad haircuts.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 04:47 PM
Girls love soccer players loser boy...they got lots of Stamina..have you ever run around for 90 minutes straight...yeah didn't think so ;)

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:52 PM
Girls love soccer players loser boy...they got lots of Stamina..have you ever run around for 90 minutes straight...yeah didn't think so ;)

Heh - look at David Beckham's wife. and you know those 18-year-olds in the European pro leagues are thinking "I can do better than that."

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 04:56 PM
Look at all those sexy Brazillian women too...I know they aren't there for the compelling game because we all know women don't like watching sports ;)

GDC
6/22/2006, 05:05 PM
I always root for the Brazilian women's team.

Taxman71
6/22/2006, 05:07 PM

I ran a half marathon once and not a single chick offered to mount me at the finish line:confused:

But seriously, soccer dudes in Europe and South America score like Wilt the Stilt. I can see kids growing up wanting only to be soccer players in those countries. In the US, they are way down the list next to the X-Gamers.

toast
6/22/2006, 05:08 PM

Heck, if the soccer players are anything in the sack like they play, they spend most of their time laying around faking injuries instead of performing anyway. :D

And 0-2-1 with two goals scored (one actually) is very aggie like.

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2006, 05:08 PM
playing soccer is like playing the outfield in baseball. bunch of basically standing around with bursts of speed every now and then. Unless you're a midfielder and then it's jogging/ walking fast for 85 minutes, standing around for 3 minutes and sprinting for 2.