PDA

View Full Version : Fire Chuck Long!

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 11:10 AM
I mean Bruce Arena!

Seriously, we knew we had to win this game and (worst case) score a crapload of goals doing it and we start with only ONE freakin' forward? Holy crap. Might as well play football with 8 offensive linemen.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 11:22 AM
You know what the biggest problem with our world cup team...they don't let the Harlem Globetrotters design their uniforms...seriously we don't even look like Americans!!

Scott D
6/22/2006, 12:47 PM
You know what the biggest problem with our world cup team...they don't let the Harlem Globetrotters design their uniforms...seriously we don't even look like Americans!!

oh you mean that Nike design make everyone's white jersey look the same look? :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 01:03 PM
Heck yeah!!! I am talking some Striped Red and White Shorts with a Sweet Blue Top and hell they can wear an Uncle Sam hat just for effect ;)

Scott D
6/22/2006, 01:17 PM
the 1994 uniform design was probably the best, although Adidas designed that uniform.

We really need to have a specific look to our uniforms and stick with it....you know that Brazil will have the yellow with green collar trim, the argentines will sport the white and sky blue vertical stripes....nothing consistent in our uniforms.

Hopefully we'll get a good international guy for this team....Find out what Guus Hiddick wants, and pay him at least 1/3 more.

TUSooner
6/22/2006, 01:29 PM

Hopefully we'll get a good international guy for this team....Find out what Guus Hiddinck wants, and pay him at least 1/3 more.

Too much to hope for, but still . . . :D

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 03:04 PM
The thing that drives me bonkers about Arena - aside from the fact that he never gets fired up about anything - is that after the game when the reporters asked him if he thought there was anything he might have tried differently in our three games his reply was "Well, not really, no."

You mean that in a game we had to win - and preferably score a lot of points in case the Czechs won - he wouldn't even consider putting more than one forward on the field? As far as I can tell every team that's tried the 4-5-1 in this World Cup has not done well - usually getting a draw or 1-0 result at best. It kind of irritates me that he didn't say "well, maybe we should have gone with a 4-4-2 or 3-4-3 in that last game to try to get some more offense." Lack of flexibility = suckage.

Oh, and for supposedly being our "superstar", Landon Donovan looked really underwhelming out there. Although I admit once he got the captain's armband when Reyna went out the offense did show some life, but it was way too late at that point. I mean, I know Reyna's a really valuable player for us, but does having the team's captain playing so far back in the defense hamper his ability to coordinate offensive strikes? Just questions.

Scott D
6/22/2006, 03:08 PM
personally I think Reyna has hampered development of our central midfield...now don't get me wrong, Reyna is a great player...however is it a coincidence that our best showing in a World Cup since 1950, he was out injured?

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 03:12 PM
That's possible. Our midfield just looked sloppy. Passes were off target and slow. Plus, there was no awareness - it seemed like every one of them had to stop and look around before passing the ball - there was no flow like you see with the Brazilians or Argentinians.

Scott D
6/22/2006, 03:14 PM
yeah, but we don't really have a guy on our roster who developed his game on the beach and indoors as a child like a certain long haired Brazilian who wears the 'sacred' #10 and almost always seems to have a smile. Clint Dempsey might be the closest we have to a guy who may have played soccer year round.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 03:33 PM
I am telling you that it is the uniforms...You can't be sexy if you don't feel sexy.

http://www.branfordbike.com/images/smmrwear/kucharik/kusjbr.jpg

and the goalie could wear these sweet gloves

http://www.1workgloves.com/thumbs/chic-usacollection.jpg

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:01 PM
yeah, but we don't really have a guy on our roster who developed his game on the beach and indoors as a child like a certain long haired Brazilian who wears the 'sacred' #10 and almost always seems to have a smile. Clint Dempsey might be the closest we have to a guy who may have played soccer year round.
Heh. There-s the difference. Our guys don't look like they're having fun out there - they look like they're working.

SoonerDood
6/22/2006, 11:21 PM
oh you mean that Nike design make everyone's white jersey look the same look? :)
those were done by Puma
but yes I know what you mean

Also, does anyone find this World Cup showing similar to our men's basketball team? Good coach, best winning percentage in school history, has a great team who did very well (perhaps overachieved for once) last go 'round. Then goes out and has a very disappointing showing this year. Team looks like it doesn't care most of the time, coach doesn't seem to think he's doing anything wrong. we could fire him, but who could WE get that's better?

SoonerStormchaser
6/25/2006, 10:40 AM
I hear Chuckles might make Brucy his running backs coach next year...too bad Brucy doesn't know how to make his players run.