PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been asked before...

goingoneight
6/21/2006, 10:22 PM
But for anyone who knows, did AD ever return kicks or punts in HS??? I have always (the past two seasons) wondered why he doesn't. I mean, his best runs have been with wide open field ahead of him... Does he not catch them well? That is usually the reason for single-purpose backs... Anyone who knows, I'm just curious...

sanantoniosooner
6/21/2006, 10:24 PM
Usually only scatbacks return kicks.

I wouldn't put AD in that category even though he's got some moves.

stoopified
6/21/2006, 10:27 PM
It is too much to ask AD to have all those carries and return kicks and/or punts.

snp
6/21/2006, 10:30 PM
Last year Stoops remarked that ideally, AD would be the best player on the team to return kicks, but he cwasn't able to be relied on.

I don't really like the idea of the starting RB returning kicks anyways. At best, he'll give us +5 yards per return, a couple TDs a year.

At worst, a gunner blows out his kneecaps.

Snrfn4ever08
6/21/2006, 10:46 PM
i don't think that ad returning kicks would be worth the risk of him getting injured

AzianSooner
6/21/2006, 10:54 PM
Being a fulltime running back already consume a bunch of energy.

TheGodfather889
6/21/2006, 11:02 PM
Adrian is way too good to be playing on special teams.

AzianSooner
6/21/2006, 11:08 PM
I disagree with the "special team" means "not too good players' team". I think some game comes down to how good a special team play.

goingoneight
6/21/2006, 11:16 PM
yeah, Barry Sanders and Reggie Bush were both on ST... You speak like it's special as in "gifted... stand out of the way and let him score" kinda special teams...

goingoneight
6/21/2006, 11:17 PM
However, thanks for the reply guys... I assumed since they rarely pass to him, even when Jason White was playing that maybe he has an occasional case of the butterfingers, but as long as he works the RB, cool by me...

soonerhubs
6/21/2006, 11:34 PM
If I'm remembering right I think the coaches mentioned the offense including more of AD catching short passes. Perhaps this dimension is being added... SSSSHHHHH! :)

snp
6/21/2006, 11:42 PM
AD is definately being incorporated into the passing game this year, hubler.

OKC-SLC
6/22/2006, 11:04 AM
adrian takes enough punishment being virtually our entire offensive gameplan.

soonerlaw
6/22/2006, 11:28 AM
Someone on here will definately know the exact stats, but didn't Bush - even with all the runs, passes and returns, average alot less touches than Peterson does just at RB? Adding that dimension to his game might be way too much to ask.

MI Sooner
6/22/2006, 12:19 PM
One extremely successful offensive tactic is to get your best open-field runners the ball in the open-field. How many times a game were we able to get the ball to someone like Mark Clayton in the open field? A couple? A half-dozen? Kickoffs and punts will often allow you to double the number of times your best open-field runner gets the ball in the open field. How many of you complained when we threw a screen pass to Mark Clayton because you thought he might get hurt. Of course he might, but what good is a great player if you don't use him?

I am unconvinced that there is a better chance of a player getting injured, especially seriously injured, on kick and punt returns than on any other play in which the he has the ball in the open field. I bet the risk of a concussive injury on a punt or kick return is slightly higher than a run or pass reception, but I doubt a ACL tear or sprained ankle isn't. I honestly cannot remember one time a player had to sit out a game due to being injured on a kick return (although I'm sure it's happened). I've seen many times a punt returner got his bell rung, (see JT Thatcher, Orange Bowl) but even then, they're out for the game, at worst.

As for returning kicks being too tiring for offensive players, I say that if that's the case, take the player out on offense. A punt will be fair caught (not tiring), kicked out of bounds (not tiring) or returned some distance (possibly tiring - depending on distance). If a player is tired because he returned a punt a long ways, that's a good trade-off. Take him out until he's not tired. Even if he's out an entire series, he probably would have made less impact than he did on the long return.

The best argument I can see for not using a starter as your kick returner is if it requires too much practice time, and the player's knowlege of the offense or technique suffers as a result.

That said, I don't know if AD would be a good punt or kick returner in the first place. I know this will be disagreed with, but I did think that Clayton was quite a bit better than Antonio Perkins. (Yes I'm aware of Perkins' successes and records).