PDA

View Full Version : Workout plan.....

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 06:08 PM
Okay, so I'm turning into an out-of-shape mofo, and I don't like it. I've always been lucky enough to not really have to work out much, b/c I'd been active year round playing sports, etc. Now that I have a grown up job, I'm finding it hard to be as active.

So.....I want to put together a little workout plan that I can try to get through every week. Maybe a day or two or running, and maybe 2-3 days of lifting. Problem is, I don't really know where to start. I have a bench at home (bench press, preacher curl bar/stand, and leg extensions), so I'd like to do as much at home as I can possibly do.

Also, at this stage, how important is the "core" workout stuff? I'm a little familiar with it, but my thinking is that until I get into better shape, I don't need to focus too much on this.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or chat with me about it, I'd appreciate it. And please, no p**** a** suggestions like training for a triathalon. ;)

Howzit
6/21/2006, 06:17 PM
Okay, so I'm turning into an out-of-shape mofo, and I don't like it. I've always been lucky enough to not really have to work out much, b/c I'd been active year round playing sports, etc. Now that I have a grown up job, I'm finding it hard to be as active.

So.....I want to put together a little workout plan that I can try to get through every week. Maybe a day or two or running, and maybe 2-3 days of lifting. Problem is, I don't really know where to start. I have a bench at home (bench press, preacher curl bar/stand, and leg extensions), so I'd like to do as much at home as I can possibly do.

Also, at this stage, how important is the "core" workout stuff? I'm a little familiar with it, but my thinking is that until I get into better shape, I don't need to focus too much on this.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or chat with me about it, I'd appreciate it. And please, no p**** a** suggestions like training for a triathalon. ;)

My house.

Saturday, 0700.

Bring a water bottle and wear running attire.

Mongo
6/21/2006, 06:23 PM
http://www.richardsimmons.com/

He is willing to help:D

I am in the same boat as you, I have started riding my bike again. Focus on the cardio until you shed a couple of pounds and get your wind back, and then proceed to lift weights(not heavy). The core training is very important. Do core training as much as possible.

hurricane'bone
6/21/2006, 06:32 PM
Drink Heavily.

BeetDigger
6/21/2006, 06:42 PM
My house.

Saturday, 0700.

Bring a some anal lube and wear those shorts with a hole cut in the bottom.

:twinkies:

oumartin
6/21/2006, 08:16 PM
stanley, cut down on the pop and fat foods,
run, don't jog. jogging is the crap on your joints.
loads of push ups, leg lifts, crunches and soem cardio like kick boxin'

StoopTroup
6/21/2006, 08:19 PM
To get a 6-pack avoid 12 packs.

GhostOfJAS
6/21/2006, 08:39 PM
I've lost 100 pounds over the last 5 years. My advice is to vary things up to keep from getting bored. Run around the block if the weather is nice. Get a home elliptical machine if you don't want to go to the gym. Walk around the mall on a rainy day. Use the stairs all the time if you can. Lift some weights. Do it before work if you feel like it, at lunch, after work, late in the evening, whenever you're most likely to do it. Just make sure you do something every day.

I know I feel 10x better on the days I work out, so now it's second nature to me. Also I know it's easier to work out when I'm eating well (that is, when I avoid stuffing myself).

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 09:50 PM
I'm 23. I do nothing but eat junk food all day long with little to no exercise. I can't gain a damned pound not a one. I sit here and burn more fat doing nothing than most people do after an entire day of exercise.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2006, 09:52 PM
I'm 23. I do nothing but eat junk food all day long with little to no exercise. I can't gain a damned pound not a one. I sit here and burn more fat doing nothing than most people do after an entire day of exercise.

Ummm... isn't that kinda bad for the diabetes?

afs
6/21/2006, 09:53 PM
oh just wait. the Zima will catch up with you one of these days.

OUinFLA
6/21/2006, 09:56 PM

I like you less than I did when you tried to steal my Russian windfall.
:D

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 10:05 PM

I was the same way until I hit 25 or so. Trust me, it'll hit you. It'll hit you hard.

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 10:07 PM
Ummm... isn't that kinda bad for the diabetes?
Well, to be honest that was before the diabetes.

I still snack around quite a bit, but the foods I snack around on aren't quite as bad or sugary as they used to be.

I had lost so much weight from the diabetes that I looked like a POW before I disvovered what the problem was. Now I'm back up to my normal weight and I feel great.

And it's just since I got into college that I stopped exercising. I swam competitively for 10 years and until HS I swam competitively year round on different leagues and teams. So that kept me in pretty good shape.

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 10:20 PM
stanley, cut down on the pop and fat foods,
run, don't jog. jogging is the crap on your joints.
loads of push ups, leg lifts, crunches and soem cardio like kick boxin'

Running is the crap on your joints too. Swimming. Total-body workout + cardio with zero impact.

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 10:36 PM
I'd highly reccomend swimming. Once you get used to it and get a tempo going you can swim almost indefinitely. I was a long distance swimmer and when I got my temp going I'd almost fall asleep in the water. It's VERY relaxing while also being a very good workout.

If you really want to get a good workout going in the water wear a t-shirt and a pair of seat pants/shorts. It'll soak the water up and it'll make you feel like you're hauling a ton of bricks behind you as you swim.

However, there is a bit of impact. I don't think it has any negative effect but if you're doing a flip turn at the wall rather than a touch and go then there's "impact."

Penguin
6/21/2006, 10:36 PM
Running is the crap on your joints too. Swimming. Total-body workout + cardio with zero impact.

That's sounds great, but I can't swim and I'm allergic to drowning.

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 10:38 PM
That's sounds great, but I can't swim and I'm allergic to drowning.
I used to teach swim lessons and co-coach a swim team. I'd be willing to teach you to swim for about $400.00.

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 10:39 PM
A penguin that can't swim? All this time I thought you were the one doing the tripping...

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 10:40 PM
I used to teach swim lessons and co-coach a swim team. I'd be willing to teach you to swim for about $400.00.

I still can't get the butterfly to work right. What am I doing wrong aside from attempting the butterfly? ;)

OUinFLA
6/21/2006, 10:43 PM
for $400 Ill throw you off the Skyway bridge.
You'll learn to swim......................or you wont need to learn anymore.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2006, 10:44 PM
i cant run anymore...i go to 24 hour fitness everyday after work and spend time on the elliptical...i'm trying to work on portion control with my diet

i've been told that cutting out sodas and french fries will help you, but i'm not to that point of desperation yet ;)

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 10:45 PM
Shift to diet soda if you don't want to give up the fizzy goodness entierely.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2006, 10:48 PM
i only drink one diet soda a day, and i've cut back to one beer a day...

i'd like to switch to decaf coffee, but im' not sure i can do that

stanley, do you eat out alot? if so, that'll explain some of the extra tonnage

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 10:57 PM
I still can't get the butterfly to work right. What am I doing wrong aside from attempting the butterfly? ;)

Well, I'd have to see you attempt it to know.
Personally, I just wouldn't attempt it. :D I freaking hate the fly...

However, the best way to do the stroke respectablly is work on it step by step rather than attempting to put it all together in one disaster of a stroke...

Work on your hip movements first and make sure you keep your legs/feet together. If you have bowlegs then it could be a bit of a problem. You don't want to kick from the knee down; you want to kick in one smooth solid stroke using your hips (sort of like a mermaid would swim). A great way to practice just the kick is to use a kickboard.

Then you'll want to progress up by ditching the kickboard and practicing the storke by simply keeping your arms stretched out in front of you. If you're doing the movement right then your body should naturally move in a kidn of "S" shape through the water. Your torso doesn't need to come very far above water. I think too many people try to bring themselves up out of the water like a surfacing submarine. :D

The arm movement is a bit harder to describe without physically being there to show you. While out of the water, take your arms and stretch them above your head. Then take your hands and place them together but with the bakc of the hands touching each other instead of the palms. The reason for doing this is to make it easier to "scoop" the water on the stroke. From this point the storke itself is similar to the breastroke; instead of bring your hands to your upper-chest and then pushing your arms forward , however, you bring your aggressively push your hands to your waist in a motion similar to "throwing the water behind you" (if that makes sense).

Now, you also don't have to bring your head totally out of the water to breathe. In fact, it's easier if you don't although the amount of air you get in each breath is less than if you were to breathe with your head above water and in front of you. Simple breathe as you would during freestyle by slightly turning your head enough to get just a portion of your mouth out of the water to get a breath.

Now, you should take your breath when your arms are just approaching your waist. Just as you "throw" the water behind you your head should be turning/coming out of the water. As soon as your bring your arms forward again to repeat the stroke your head should be back in the water.

That's the best way I know how to describe it online and without being there to physically show you. :D

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 10:59 PM
stanley, do you eat out alot? if so, that'll explain some of the extra tonnage

Yea, wimmins today pretty much insist on it. :O

But seriously.....I've cut french fries out of my diet entirely. I'm trying to only eat one "bad" meal a day now. I've pretty much cut Taco Bell out of my diet, but I do eat at Arby's alot, and WAY too much pizza.

Coke/Pepsi is a major problem. I've tried cutting back, but I always go back to it. Just haven't found a suitable replacement yet. Something that'll give me energy, tastes good, but isn't terrible for me. I have a hard time drinking water all day.

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 11:00 PM
Oh, and swimming is pretty much out. Besides not being a huge fan of the water and being an adequate swimmer at best, I have a thing about swimming in public pools. Nasty.

OCUDad
6/21/2006, 11:01 PM
That's the best way I know how to describe it online and without being there to physically show you. :DPathetic attempt to grope GHP. :eek:

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2006, 11:04 PM
Pathetic attempt to grope GHP. :eek:
That is horrifing.

But here it swimmin' with bow-legged women.

Blue
6/21/2006, 11:06 PM
Run your *** off. Calories burnt > calories consumed. YWIA.

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 11:39 PM
Do you play tennis? I know of a couple of decent courts around our area that we could go to. I used to play along time ago, and want to get back into it a little. I have tried with with the GF, but she uh, how do I put this nicely, :succs:

Although if you want a really good workout, "play" tennis with her. You'll be running all over the ****ing place :D

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 11:47 PM
Do you play tennis? I know of a couple of decent courts around our area that we could go to. I used to play along time ago, and want to get back into it a little. I have tried with with the GF, but she uh, how do I put this nicely, :succs:

Although if you want a really good workout, "play" tennis with her. You'll be running all over the ****ing place :D

I'm not great, but I think I'm good enough (and will improve), that it wouldn't be too bad.

Oh, and I won't tell her you said that. ;)

Blue
6/21/2006, 11:51 PM
I just started playing tennis. It's actually pretty fun and definitely good exercise.

Good lookin out, Colley.

PhxSooner
6/21/2006, 11:52 PM

But seriously.....I've cut french fries out of my diet entirely. I'm trying to only eat one "bad" meal a day now. I've pretty much cut Taco Bell out of my diet, but I do eat at Arby's alot, and WAY too much pizza.

Coke/Pepsi is a major problem. I've tried cutting back, but I always go back to it. Just haven't found a suitable replacement yet. Something that'll give me energy, tastes good, but isn't terrible for me. I have a hard time drinking water all day.
As much as I love it, pizza is the debil.

Do you not like diet pop? If not, have you tried Diet Snapple? Flavored for taste, lots of caffeine:D, but no calories. I'm hooked on it, and don't feel as crappy as I do after a Diet Coke.

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not great, but I think I'm good enough (and will improve), that it wouldn't be too bad.

Oh, and I won't tell her you said that. ;)

We sound at about the same level. Let me know when you want to go. Seriously. I could always use for my work slack to fit a little better :D

Beef
6/22/2006, 11:04 AM
Have a heart attack. You will be a lot more motivated to eat right and work out.

OUWxGuesser
6/22/2006, 11:17 AM
If you like pizza make your own! Go to the store and buy the premade thin crust pizza (less fat). Buy a bell pepper and onion or whatever veggie you like... slice em up, and throw it on with some low fat meat like turkey peperoni or canadian ham stuff... go light on the cheese and you are good to go. Mix it up by doing BBQ sauce and chicken if you like.

The key is to use cheese sporadically.... then you have a healthy meal that isn't greasy!

Boarder
6/22/2006, 11:26 AM
Play basketball. Even if you're crappy you can run the court and play defense.

6/22/2006, 11:55 AM
I walk 4.6 miles every day, rain or shine. Average about 50 minutes, so it's pretty aerobic. That and a strict diet has caused me to lose more weight than I care to share with you dorks.

When I reach my target weight, I plan to eat more normally and continue the walks. There is no secret to getting in shape. It takes a change in lifestyle and dedication. Find a fitness activity you enjoy and can stick with for the long haul. It is quite rewarding.

49r
6/22/2006, 12:01 PM
get parasites, a good tapeworm will do wonders for ya

BeetDigger
6/22/2006, 12:11 PM
I have been playing squash every once in a while. Great game and it works the heck out of you when you are learning it. One rule, don't play anyone from India or from the UK until you get kind of good. They will kick your arse.

mdklatt
6/22/2006, 12:15 PM
get parasites, a good tapeworm will do wonders for ya

Well, he did go to Mexico.

49r
6/22/2006, 12:23 PM
Well, he did go to Mexico.

See? The ball is already rollin'

:texan:

Boarder
6/22/2006, 12:48 PM
I walk 4.6 miles every day, rain or shine. Average about 50 minutes, so it's pretty aerobic. That and a strict diet has caused me to lose more weight than I care to share with you dorks.

When I reach my target weight, I plan to eat more normally and continue the walks. There is no secret to getting in shape. It takes a change in lifestyle and dedication. Find a fitness activity you enjoy and can stick with for the long haul. It is quite rewarding.
Wouldn't the target weight for your height be like 350?

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 01:02 PM

1. Not all wimmins.

2. Now the private school boy can't even swim with other people.

3. Just put the ****ing soda down. Geez, you sound like it's crack. And if you gotta, drink diet.

4. Lift weights. And run/bike/cardio your *** off.

All this namby-pamby "ooh, don't run, it hurts you" is for fags and fatasses. As narrow as your little *** is, you ain't gotta worry about hurting yourself running - unless you run out in front of my truck.

jk the sooner fan
6/22/2006, 01:04 PM
how many wimmins is he takin to lunch/dinner?

C&CDean
6/22/2006, 01:06 PM
how many wimmins is he takin to lunch/dinner?

If by "wimmins" you mean "male partners" then probably several....

Scott D
6/22/2006, 01:11 PM

try switching to juices and teas, there's enough of them available in a 20 oz variety these days.

mdklatt
6/22/2006, 03:13 PM
It's interesting that nobody's suggested that Stanley have sex more often....

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2006, 03:14 PM
we don't want him to get carpal tunnel or tennis elbow...

mdklatt
6/22/2006, 03:15 PM
we don't want him to get carpal tunnel or tennis elbow...

I let it hang over the plate....

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/22/2006, 04:11 PM
I second swimming. I'm not a very good swimmer, but I love it and the chlorine kills all the pee pee germs.

Scott D
6/22/2006, 04:13 PM
before or after the red dye ring surrounds Stanley? :D

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_188.jpg

IB4OU2
6/22/2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_188.jpg

Mmmm, Mmmmmm, Baby Ruth....

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 04:24 PM
<sigh>

Not a matter of boo fricking hoo, or swimming. Bottom line is this is the "SO" board, not the pin headed, hide behind my keyboard and be a cowering little smart ***" board. But what the hell, most of you losers don't have a life anyway. So, if you have fun, get your rocks off etc. by lurking on these boards and posting stupid comments, go for it. All I know is this is the 152nd time I've come on this board looking for help and every time the same pack of losers responded with the same, limp, comments.

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2006, 04:24 PM
heh

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/22/2006, 04:26 PM
Geez Stan, that's the last time I offer my advice.

Howzit
6/22/2006, 04:26 PM
Watch it, boy.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2006, 04:30 PM
Now...I believe I offered some great advice to improve your stroke.

mdklatt
6/22/2006, 04:31 PM

*snicker*

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 04:31 PM

Nothing wrong with me stroke, that much I do know. :texan:

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:34 PM

Heh. And actually that's basically what I'm doing - I guess I'm just freaking slow with that one. Mebbe I'll just stick to freestyle and breaststroke.

BeetDigger
6/22/2006, 04:38 PM
Nothing wrong with me stroke, that much I do know. :texan:

As evidenced by the splotches on the wall. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2006, 04:40 PM
Heh. And actually that's basically what I'm doing - I guess I'm just freaking slow with that one. Mebbe I'll just stick to freestyle and breaststroke.
Well, fly is a GREAT workout. I can do free all day, but after just a 100-200 of fly I'm REALLY REALLY starting to feel the burn.

I suppose even if you aren't doing the stroke exactly right then it doesn't matter all that much since the important thing is to get a good workout. Unless you're swimming competitively then it probably isn't a real big deal.

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 04:40 PM
As evidenced by the splotches on my mom. :texan:

So true. ;)

Howzit
6/22/2006, 04:42 PM
Well, fly is a GREAT workout. I can do free all day, but after just a 100-200 of fly I'm REALLY REALLY starting to feel the burn.

I suppose even if you aren't doing the stroke exactly right then it doesn't matter all that much since the important thing is to get a good workout. Unless you're swimming competitively then it probably isn't a real big deal.

100-200 of fly? You can swim 200 fly? Hell, when I was a high school all-american I couldn't swim a 200 fly.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/22/2006, 04:42 PM

I suppose even if you aren't doing the stroke exactly right then it doesn't matter all that much since the important thing is to get a good workout. Unless you're swimming competitively then it probably isn't a real big deal.I just learned how to swim with my face underwater last week. I ended up doing some laps with just the basic stroke then did some backstroke. Looking forward to getting back in the pool. My goal is to swim laps. I'm never gonna be supa.fast, but I just want to do some lap swimming.

IB4OU2
6/22/2006, 04:45 PM
100-200 of fly? You can swim 200 fly? Hell, when I was a high school all-american I couldn't swim a 200 fly.

Me neither.....:D

Stanley1
6/22/2006, 04:46 PM
I wish 200 flies would attack Scotty D, if that helps?

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:47 PM

Oh heck no, I wasn't competitive. My endurance used to be good, but my speed was never that great. I think the last certification I got one of the requirements was to swim a full mile - I did it pretty easily, but it took me over half an hour.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/22/2006, 04:47 PM
100-200 of fly? You can swim 200 fly? Hell, when I was a high school all-american I couldn't swim a 200 fly.http://www.log24.com/log/pix05B/051211-gump.jpg
How does it feel to be an All-American?

Howzit
6/22/2006, 04:48 PM
I just learned how to swim with my face underwater last week. I ended up doing some laps with just the basic stroke then did some backstroke.

This just triggered a memory from my pubescent days...

There was a female swimmer from Wichita that was a really really good backstroker. Like nationally ranked. She was also really really stacked, and when she swam those bad boys rose and fell majestically from side to side with every deelishius stroke. The approach of her age group's backstroke events had the eyes of every male swimmer 13 and older (and their dads) glued to the pool in eager anticipation.

Stacked really really good female backstroker from Wichita, I love you still.

GottaHavePride
6/22/2006, 04:50 PM

There was a female swimmer from Wichita that was a really really good backstroker. Like nationally ranked. She was also really really stacked, and when she swam those bad boys rose and fell majestically from side to side with every deelishius stroke. The approach of her age group's backstroke events had every male swimmer 13 and older (and their dads) glued to the pool in eager anticipation.

Stacked really really good female swimmer from Wichita, I love you still.

Damn, musta been before my time.

Howzit
6/22/2006, 04:51 PM
Damn, musta been before my time.

Indubitably.

BeetDigger
6/22/2006, 04:55 PM

There was a female swimmer from Wichita that was a really really good backstroker. Like nationally ranked. She was also really really stacked, and when she swam those bad boys rose and fell majestically from side to side with every deelishius stroke. The approach of her age group's backstroke events had the eyes of every male swimmer 13 and older (and their dads) glued to the pool in eager anticipation.

She's probably playing soccer with them now. Damn gravity and kids.

IB4OU2
6/22/2006, 04:58 PM
Indubitably.

Howzit, speaking of old NHS swimming days, did you swim at the old Southbase pool like I did back in the early 70's? It was alot of fun jumping from the board on the highdive to the rafters and then from the rafters into the pool.

Howzit
6/22/2006, 05:01 PM
Howzit, speaking of old NHS swimming days, did you swim at the old Southbase pool like I did back in the early 70's? It was alot of fun jumping from the board on the highdive to the rafters and then from the rafters into the pool.

The University had let that pool "go to seed" and Sooner Swim Club cleaned it up to use around '74. We used it for summer workouts for a couple of summers.

After high school someone was still using it, because during the summer after 2:00 am we used to go jump the fence and skinny dip. Kind of embarassing when the campus police would bust us...

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2006, 05:02 PM
After high school someone was still using it, because during the summer after 2:00 am we used to go jump the fence and skinny dip. Kind of embarassing when the campus police would bust us...

Cause of shrinkage and stuff?

Howzit
6/22/2006, 05:03 PM
'Cause of just being butt nekkid and stuff.

IB4OU2
6/22/2006, 05:04 PM

Turtle head?

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2006, 05:05 PM
we've gone from a backstroker from Wichita with big ta-tas to Howzit skinny dipping.

Well done CVS, Well. Done.

GDC
6/22/2006, 05:08 PM
A guy at my gym was a finalist in the Body For Life contest, his transformation was incredible.

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2006, 05:09 PM
we've gone from a backstroker from Wichita with big ta-tas to Howzit skinny dipping.

Well done CVS, Well. Done.

yeah, cause I brought up the nekkid pool time.

BeetDigger
6/22/2006, 05:35 PM

:les: colleyvillesoowned

XingTheRubicon
6/22/2006, 05:53 PM
If you want a serious response, here's one.

1. Diet sodas suck. 5 diet cokes are better than 5 cokes, but both suck. Carbonated drinks, caloric or not, take too long to leave your body. 1 or 2 a day is OK, but that's it. Water is your friend.

2. Go to a government office and look at the employees. Then go to a car wash or a watermelon field. Now since you probably work behind a desk, this is what is warranted: You have to do about 3X what your brain thinks is necessary.

I'll illustrate it this way... Have you ever walked on a curb? You know when you start to lean one way and you try to regain your balance. Your brain tells you to lean back toward center just enough to regain your balance. This turns out to not be far enough and you never make it back and you fall to the side. So the next time you try it and start to lean one way, you have to convince youself to correct PAST center. In other words, trying to throw yourself to the other side is somtimes what it takes just to get back to center. The same is true for working out/losing body fat. You have to work too much and too hard.

Example:

One of the best fat burning techniques out there...

Go to a 1/4 mile track. Stretch, each stretch at least 10 seconds long and don't bounce. Jog a few laps real slow to warm up and stretch again.

Then, with a stopwatch, time yourself in a quarter mile. Run as fast as you can. If you don't have incredibly painful breaths at the end, you didn't run fast enough. OK, say you ran the 1/4 in 1:10. Now, your goal is to run a mile (4 laps) at that pace or 4:40. To train for this, you'll want to add a minute to your 1/4 time and run 3 miles @ 2:10 pace per lap and try to improve each time out. Now it will take a while to get there, months even years, but it's a great work out and will burn more fat than an Italian Chandelier.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2006, 06:21 PM
If you want a serious response, here's one.

1. Diet sodas suck. 5 diet cokes are better than 5 cokes, but both suck. Carbonated drinks, caloric or not, take too long to leave your body. 1 or 2 a day is OK, but that's it. Water is your friend.

2. Go to a government office and look at the employees. Then go to a car wash or a watermelon field. Now since you probably work behind a desk, this is what is warranted: You have to do about 3X what your brain thinks is necessary.

I'll illustrate it this way... Have you ever walked on a curb? You know when you start to lean one way and you try to regain your balance. Your brain tells you to lean back toward center just enough to regain your balance. This turns out to not be far enough and you never make it back and you fall to the side. So the next time you try it and start to lean one way, you have to convince youself to correct PAST center. In other words, trying to throw yourself to the other side is somtimes what it takes just to get back to center. The same is true for working out/losing body fat. You have to work too much and too hard.

Example:

One of the best fat burning techniques out there...

Go to a 1/4 mile track. Stretch, each stretch at least 10 seconds long and don't bounce. Jog a few laps real slow to warm up and stretch again.

Then, with a stopwatch, time yourself in a quarter mile. Run as fast as you can. If you don't have incredibly painful breaths at the end, you didn't run fast enough. OK, say you ran the 1/4 in 1:10. Now, your goal is to run a mile (4 laps) at that pace or 4:40. To train for this, you'll want to add a minute to your 1/4 time and run 3 miles @ 2:10 pace per lap and try to improve each time out. Now it will take a while to get there, months even years, but it's a great work out and will burn more fat than an Italian Chandelier.

You have exhausted me just from reading this post. I'm going to go watch some TV to cool down and rest.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2006, 06:27 PM

I can swim a 100 fly. I COULD do a 200 fly at one time, not quickly mind you, but I could get it done in my prime.

I'm so out of shape now that I'm not sure I even remember how to swim. :D

But I always hated fly followed by breast. I used to be a backstroker but stopped doing that when I switched to long distance (for obvious reasons).

You ever swim USS?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 08:31 AM
Xing's trying to kill someone.

I almost died reading that.

C&CDean
6/23/2006, 08:54 AM
<sigh>

Not a matter of boo fricking hoo, or swimming. Bottom line is this is the "SO" board, not the pin headed, hide behind my keyboard and be a cowering little smart ***" board. But what the hell, most of you losers don't have a life anyway. So, if you have fun, get your rocks off etc. by lurking on these boards and posting stupid comments, go for it. All I know is this is the 152nd time I've come on this board looking for help and every time the same pack of losers responded with the same, limp, comments.

What kind of a ****ing nimrod would ask this pack of limp losers for advice?

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/23/2006, 09:40 AM

hey, willis!!! who u callin' a limp loser???? ;)

stanley, i've discovered the fun of riding bikes. it cost some $$$ up front to get a decent one, but it's alooot of fun to do. it's not hard on the joints either. i'm still doing situps in spite of a bad back and also lifting weights, but i've discovered the older i get, i need to like the workout i'm doing. riding my bike around lake hefner in okc 1-2 times a week is relaxing and it's really pretty scenery too at the lake. i'd encourage you to consider doing that.

i'll be at lake hefner at the crack of dawn tomorrow if anyone wants to join me...:D

BeetDigger
6/23/2006, 09:46 AM

So asks the Head of the Limp Losers.

C&CDean
6/23/2006, 09:51 AM
Heh.

You know what my motto is? I do the exact opposite of whatever you cretins suggest.

hurricane'bone
6/23/2006, 09:53 AM

stanley, i've discovered the fun of riding bikes. it cost some $$$ up front to get a decent one, but it's alooot of fun to do. it's not hard on the joints either. i'm still doing situps in spite of a bad back and also lifting weights, but i've discovered the older i get, i need to like the workout i'm doing. riding my bike around lake hefner in okc 1-2 times a week is relaxing and it's really pretty scenery too at the lake. i'd encourage you to consider doing that.

i'll be at lake hefner at the crack of dawn tomorrow if anyone wants to join me...:D

who's Dawn?

BeetDigger
6/23/2006, 09:58 AM
So you want serious advice?

Fine.

Don't buy equipment for home. It becomes a clothes hanger quickly. If you want to work out at home, get a cheap bike, some running shoes and a subscription to Men's Health magazine. Run and bike for cardio and due pushups and situps and other exercises that they show you in the magazine. If you decide that you can stick with regular exercise, then spend more.

I have found the best way to remain committed to exercising is to be a member of a gym however. I won't exercise on a regular basis without having a place outside the home. If you decide to become a member of a gym, the most important attribute is proximity. If it is more than 10 minutes out of your way, you will stop going. A personal trainer is worth it, but expect to have your arse worked off and to be major sore.

I work out at times when the committed folks are there. I have made a couple of friends there who I lift with. I avoid times when the 17-21 year old grab *** crowd is there. They spend time farting around, talking, throwing towels at the girls. It's a big pain in the butt.

SoonerBK
6/23/2006, 11:27 AM
Here's the money shot for ya:

1. www.P90X.com - Get this program and follow it
2. Eat at least one gram of protien per pound of body weight every day. This can come from shakes, or food (eggs, chicken, beef)
3. drink four to five bottles of water every day.
4. No pop, no beer.
5. Lots of vegetables.
6. Do this for four months. Don't think about it just do it. The results will amaze you.

Also:
Never buy suppplements at GNC, they are way overpriced. Got to www.fitrx.com On average stuff here is half the cost of what GNC charges. Shipping is $5.95 for any order unless your total goes over $200.00 then it is free. My stuff makes it to Oklahoma in two days usually.

Now get after it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 11:32 AM
Heh.

You know what my motto is? I do the exact opposite of whatever you cretins suggest.

Arright...

Which one of you clowns told Dean to not get jacked up by a chainsaw? :eddie:

SoonerInKCMO
6/23/2006, 11:36 AM
Arright...

Which one of you clowns told Dean to not get jacked up by a chainsaw? :eddie:

Ooh... that mighta been me.

Right after the first time he fell off a tree.

Howzit
6/23/2006, 11:37 AM

There is nothing workout wise that inspires me as much as being out on an early morning ride, with the sun to my back and my shadow stretching out in front of me.

Stan, Seriously, if you were interested in doing a little riding I biught a new bike and still have my old tri bike. You would have to either shell out for some new pedals or get some shoes/clips that fit the speedplays still on them, but I'd be happy to take you out for some cycling. You would be surprised at how beautiful the rural rides just outside of Flower Mound are.

Mjcpr
6/23/2006, 11:38 AM
Dude, just embrace your fatness and have another beer. That's what I've decided.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 11:39 AM
Stan, Seriously, if you were interested in doing a little riding I biught a new bike and still have my old tri bike. You would have to either shell out for some new pedals or get some shoes/clips that fit the speedplays still on them, but I'd be happy to take you out for some cycling. You would be surprised at how beautiful the rural rides just outside of Flower Mound are.

I wanna follow in a car so I can capture when Stanley passes out and wipes out. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 11:45 AM
Dude, just embrace your fatness and have another beer. That's what I've decided.

Are you doing a lot of this on your vacation?

Howzit
6/23/2006, 11:46 AM
Also, regarding Xing's plan, the only problem there is that hurts. And the older you get the less enjoyable hurting gets. And the less enjoyable the workout the less likely continuation becomes.

You are going to have to do cardio, but the best fat burning zone (for running) is when you are running at around 75% aerobic capacity for 30 minutes or more. 20 minutes isn't going to cut it, because your body is just burning off available glycogen stores. You have to burn off what is stored in the muscles so that the body will begin using fat for fuel.

In Dallas, this time of year is tough running outside, no matter what time of day. Get a running watch with two timer intervals, program one for 4 minutes and one for 1 minute. Run the 4 and walk the 1, this will help keep your body core temp down and enable you to go for longer periods, hence burning more fat.

And if you don't have an iPod or mp3 player get one. You are much more likely to maintain a program if you are listening to Mike Jones or some of that other **** you call music.

My offer of 0700 at my house Saturday stands, I'll be doing the 4/1 dealio, which you can do.

Boarder
6/23/2006, 11:48 AM
My offer of 0700 at my house Saturday stands, I'll be doing the 4/1 dealio, which you can do.
You probably, like, run fast and stuff.

Howzit
6/23/2006, 11:53 AM
You probably, like, run fast and stuff.

Nope. I got tired of that hurting stuff. There was a time when If I didn't throw up at the end I didn't think I had pushed it hard enough. Not anymore.

I want to break a good sweat for an hour or more, and that's it. I'm doing the 4/1 run/walk deal myself, it's just too hot to go over 5 or six miles and run the whole way.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 11:54 AM
There was a time when If I didn't throw up at the end I didn't think I had pushed it hard enough.

Don't do it, Pat...just don't do it...

Howzit
6/23/2006, 11:56 AM
Listen to her, Pat.

Mjcpr
6/23/2006, 01:52 PM
Nope. I got tired of that hurting stuff. There was a time when If I didn't throw up at the end I didn't think I had pushed it hard enough. Not anymore.

Maybe it just wasn't that big.....and that's okay.

Mjcpr
6/23/2006, 01:54 PM
Are you doing a lot of this on your vacation?

Lord no.....little drinking and more miles walking than I've ever endured in a six day stretch.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 01:56 PM
That sounds like work, Pat.

You're a crappy vacation-taker.

Mjcpr
6/23/2006, 01:58 PM
Dude, Disney World does that to everyone I think. :D

I got the weekend to catch up on my drankin'.

IB4OU2
6/23/2006, 02:00 PM
Dude, Disney World does that to everyone I think. :D

I got the weekend to catch up on my drankin'.

So what'd you bring back for us? MM ears or Goofy hats?

Mjcpr
6/23/2006, 02:09 PM
So what'd you bring back for us? MM ears or Goofy hats?

I got 1TC some MM ears.

http://images.snapfish.com/3468688%3B%3A%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3B%3A 8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233665%3B53757nu0mrj

IB4OU2
6/23/2006, 02:13 PM
I got 1TC some MM ears.

http://images.snapfish.com/3468688%3B%3A%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3B%3A 8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233665%3B53757nu0mrj

Wow! They look so real! ;)

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 02:28 PM
BSG calls em handlebars.

just sayin'

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/23/2006, 02:30 PM
Or cereal bowls.

Depends on the situation.

1stTimeCaller
6/23/2006, 02:33 PM
damnit, someone spek her. I can't.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 02:35 PM
damnit, someone spek her. I can't.

Done.

IB4OU2
6/23/2006, 02:38 PM
Or cereal bowls.

Depends on the situation.

Carefull, Rice Crispies make him nervous....

Hamhock
6/23/2006, 02:45 PM
Also, regarding Xing's plan, the only problem there is that hurts. And the older you get the less enjoyable hurting gets. And the less enjoyable the workout the less likely continuation becomes.

You are going to have to do cardio, but the best fat burning zone (for running) is when you are running at around 75% aerobic capacity for 30 minutes or more. 20 minutes isn't going to cut it, because your body is just burning off available glycogen stores. You have to burn off what is stored in the muscles so that the body will begin using fat for fuel.

In Dallas, this time of year is tough running outside, no matter what time of day. Get a running watch with two timer intervals, program one for 4 minutes and one for 1 minute. Run the 4 and walk the 1, this will help keep your body core temp down and enable you to go for longer periods, hence burning more fat.

And if you don't have an iPod or mp3 player get one. You are much more likely to maintain a program if you are listening to Mike Jones or some of that other **** you call music.

Do you use the garmin forerunner?

Fugue
6/23/2006, 02:46 PM
Done.

good work Coffee.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2006, 02:54 PM
:mad:

Fugue
6/23/2006, 02:55 PM
:mad:

oh come on, that whole coffee thing was funny.

SicEmBaylor
6/23/2006, 07:37 PM
I just learned how to swim with my face underwater last week. I ended up doing some laps with just the basic stroke then did some backstroke. Looking forward to getting back in the pool. My goal is to swim laps. I'm never gonna be supa.fast, but I just want to do some lap swimming.
You'll get there. And once you get comfortable doing laps you'll fall into a routine when working out. One of the great things about swimming is how you can disconnect from the world around you. VERY relaxing.

SicEmBaylor
6/23/2006, 07:40 PM

Heh. Yeah...I've seen a few of those...

There's a girl from back at home who I swam on USS with for a couple of years that was just a FANTASTIC swimmer. I've never seen anything like her in my life before or since. She was freaking hardcore too. She broke her arm and had it in a cast and still made it to every meet. She just wrapped her cast in plastic and off she went...

She got a swim scholarship to Rice and swims for them from what I understand. Had a bit of an attitude on her though..