PDA

View Full Version : Okie history and/or flag nutz

Okla-homey
6/21/2006, 12:47 PM
I found a source for the first Oklahoma State Flag (1911-1925)

Its crimson to boot!

http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/us-ok_hi.html#red

If you want a 3x5' one suitable for outdoor use, tailgating, to show Okie Pride during the upcoming centennial festivities, or to make your neighbors wonder WTF you're up to, call Liberty Flag in Tulsa at:

phone: (918) 834-1110
toll-free: (800) 322-3524

And tell 'em you want the big red Okie flag with the star. They're 50 bucks which is cheap for a custom flag.

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with Liberty Flag, their heirs or assigns and have no financial or other interest in their business nor do I receive any form of compensation or consideration for this endorsement, so there.

That is all.

KaiserSooner
6/21/2006, 03:36 PM
I wonder if they have the current Oklahoma flag sans the state name at the bottom. That'd be awesomer. :)

PhilTLL
6/21/2006, 03:38 PM
Its crimson to boot!

Nuh-uh, it's red...comrade.

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 03:42 PM
I guess the "46" means Oklahoma was the 46th state? Is that something to brag about? Take away the 46, and the original one is a lot better than the current one.

KaiserSooner
6/21/2006, 03:48 PM
Take away the 46, we'll have us a commie flag, like Phil suggested.

TopDaugIn2000
6/21/2006, 03:48 PM
the original one is a lot better than the current one.

why do you hate native americans?

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 04:10 PM

Their symbol makes the flag too busy. Flags should be simple and abstract.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 04:24 PM

Why do you hate crimson flags (that are really red as red can be)?

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 04:25 PM
Their symbol makes the flag too busy. Flags should be simple and abstract.

Yup
http://www.1uptravel.com/flag/images/u/us_gay1.gif

Jimminy Crimson
6/21/2006, 04:47 PM
I wish we could make the official flag the current version, but with 'Oklahoma' in the original art deco font. Looks cooler. And stuff.

Okla-homey
6/21/2006, 07:29 PM
I wish we could make the official flag the current version, but with 'Oklahoma' in the original art deco font. Looks cooler. And stuff.

Precisely.

Vaevictis
6/21/2006, 08:35 PM
... the original Oklahoma flag, proudly brought to you by the folks who came up with "Oklahoma is OK!"

TUSooner
6/21/2006, 09:39 PM
Nice disclaimer, Homey. :D

Half a Hundred
6/22/2006, 12:48 AM
Ehh, I'm not a big fan of the whole name of the state on the flag thing. The flag's symbols should speak for itself. Not only that, but the blue background makes it look like almost every other state flag. Oklahoma should have something unique... the Indian crest is awesome, but the background could use fixing.

Jimminy Crimson
6/22/2006, 11:58 AM
...but the blue background makes it look like almost every other state flag...

Not many states have the light blue like us.

If it were navy, I could understand, but you can pick out the Oklahoma flag out of the 50 pretty easily.

49r
6/22/2006, 12:09 PM
At first I thought this thread was going to be about a new accessory folks could buy for thier flag, similar to what some people like to hang from the trailer hitch of their pickup trucks...

:eddie:

...and I was like "Oh, dear God"...

KaiserSooner
6/22/2006, 02:58 PM
Ehh, I'm not a big fan of the whole name of the state on the flag thing. The flag's symbols should speak for itself. Not only that, but the blue background makes it look like almost every other state flag. Oklahoma should have something unique... the Indian crest is awesome, but the background could use fixing.

I agree, except for the blue color. Most states have a dark blue flag, whereas Oklahoma's is light blue, like the other guy said.

The name on the flag issue can't be stated enough. The indian shield is distinctive enough without the state's name.

mdklatt
6/22/2006, 03:11 PM
Most states have a dark blue flag

That's because light blue is a sissy color. :texan:

PhilTLL
6/22/2006, 03:13 PM
Light blue, eh? Flags fly. Guess what doesn't stand out real well against our beautiful azure skies? :) All kidding aside, I like our flag. Now if we would only cut it in funny shapes like Maryland.

Half a Hundred
6/22/2006, 05:28 PM
True on the light blue being different, but I have to wonder, as a state whose name means "land of the red man", shouldn't there be some red on the flag? As gaudy as it might sound, I think that a horizontal bicolor of blue on the top, red on the bottom, with the native symbol in the center would be an interesting and distinctive state flag.

hurricane'bone
6/22/2006, 05:33 PM
Not many states have the light blue like us.

If it were navy, I could understand, but you can pick out the Oklahoma flag out of the 50 pretty easily.

Well...since it says Oklahoma on it...I would you would be able to.