PDA

View Full Version : Question (my mind has gone blank!!!)

Mac94
6/21/2006, 11:10 AM
Was watching the 1986 Orange Bowl last night with Holieway and I remember the years of J.C. Watts (and his fumbles) but for the life of me, I can't recall who QB'ed the Sooners in between the 1980 (Watts) and 1985 (Troy and Jamelle) seasons. Help!?!?

oumartin
6/21/2006, 11:29 AM
danny bradley

soonerboy_odanorth
6/21/2006, 11:32 AM
I have to disagree with you on J.C. I don't recall him having too much of a problem fumbling. He was a pretty deadly option operator. There may have been some fumbles or errant pitches here and there. But very infrequent in my recollection. But as we were running it 60 times a game in triple option, that's going to happen. I think in that time frame Sims was more likely to mishandle a ball than was J.C. (the '78 NU game when I believe Lott was still QB'ing and Sims's 4 fumbles standing out in particular)

Anyway I think your mind has fast forwarded to Kelly Phelps who succeeded J.C. and had a HORRIBLE problem fumbling. And there was Darrell Shepard who ended up I believe rotating with Phelps, and wasn't all that slick either. Then Danny Bradley was after Phelps. Then Aikman to Hollieway to Thompson back to Hollieway... to Collins then Gundy? Who was after that... McGee?

Then there is this little four year period where my mind goes black about all things Sooner... ;)

Salt City Sooner
6/21/2006, 11:33 AM
Darrell Shepard, Kelly Phelps, & Danny Bradley. Aikman also started the '84 KU game (KU kicked our butts 28-11) as a freshman when Bradley was hurt.

Mac94
6/21/2006, 12:04 PM
As for J.C. and fumbles, it's just what pops into my mind with him ... right or wrong. I was in grade school during his time but I did watch OU whenever I could and I did go to some games with my dad and it's just one of those things that I kinda remember. Don't know if it's fair or not. Of course, the triple option had that kind of risk to it.

thanks for the list, now that I hear the name I remember Danny Bradley ... but not the others. Was Darrell Sheppard and relation to Derrick Sheppard who was a WR for OU?

soonerboy_odanorth
6/21/2006, 12:12 PM
Was Darrell Sheppard and relation to Derrick Sheppard who was a WR for OU?

Indeed they were, but for the life of me (what a sorry Sooner I am) I can't remember if they were brothers or cousins. Help?

CU Sooner
6/21/2006, 04:23 PM
If I remember right they were brothers and they had another one named Woodie that played in the mid 70's. I remember the King commenting how talented they all were.

Octavian
6/21/2006, 05:46 PM
I could be wrong but I think Woodie Shephard threw the long half-back pass in the winning drive against in Lincoln in the 76 game we were supposed to lose (the game where Scott Hill asked God to please not let the best team win during the pre-game prayer.)