PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old girl sues myspace for 30 million bucks

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/21/2006, 11:00 AM
AUSTIN, Texas — A 14-year-old girl who says she was sexually assaulted by another user of MySpace.com sued the social networking Web site Monday, claiming it does not take sufficient steps to protect underage members.

Should she sue her parents for not providing adequate supervision?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200233,00.html

rebmus
6/21/2006, 11:04 AM

yep... along with hanging the ********* that would assault a 14 yr old.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 11:05 AM
Ridiculous . . . through and through.

crawfish
6/21/2006, 11:05 AM
Don't you have to be 18 to be on MySpace?

White House Boy
6/21/2006, 11:06 AM
At some point in time, everyone must accept personal responsibility for his/her own actions.

IMO, there is no reason whatsoever for a 14 y.o. girl meeting up with ANYONE she met online.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2006, 11:08 AM
If she can sue MySpace for not protecting her, can she sue herself for being stupid?

rebmus
6/21/2006, 11:10 AM
If she can sue MySpace for not protecting her, can she sue herself for being stupid?
nope... that'd be "personal responsibility"... something lawyers got rid of years ago.

royalfan5
6/21/2006, 11:13 AM
I think America would be a better place is the plantiff's lawyers would have his ankles broken Misery style every time a case like this was filed.

IronSooner
6/21/2006, 11:17 AM
I think America would be a better place is the plantiff's lawyers would have his ankles broken Misery style every time a case like this was filed.

What is Kathy Bates doing these days anyway? I'd pitch in for her salary to curb this stupid sh!t. If you eat McD's every day, you will get fat. If you smoke cigarettes, you will get cancer and die. If you're a kid and you meet up with older people you met from the internet, there's a good chance something bad will happen. Either learn to live with the consequences or don't play the game.

rebmus
6/21/2006, 11:18 AM

that's a bandwagon i'll jump on!

(this may have been in another thread here already?)... KFC is getting sued b/c the type of oil they use to fry chicken. supposedly, the oil is too artery clogging... wtf? do people going to kfc think they're going there to "eat healthy" in the first place???

hey,,, i love me some oily fried foods. i do NOT reserve the right to sue someone for selling me what i like.

TexasLidig8r
6/21/2006, 11:21 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200233,00.html

So, she files a lawsuit (through a next friend).. against her parents as well for negligent supervision. Parents' homeowners insurance pays for the defense and settles with her for about 750K.

Money is put in trust for her until she turns 18.

of course, she in all likelihood, would have to go to a foster home and not be under her parents' "supervision."

Attorney takes his cool 40% plus expenses.

OhU1
6/21/2006, 11:23 AM
I just got sued for $5,000,000 myself. Any fool with $150 can file papers at the courthouse. Why stop at $5,000,000 though? Why not type in a few more zeros?

It's just a nuisance to have to respond to frivolous law suits. Some of these suits, like the one against me, are filed pro se - without an attorney.

royalfan5
6/21/2006, 11:25 AM
I just got sued for $5,000,000 myself. Any fool with $150 can file papers at the courthouse. Why stop at $5,000,000 though? Why not type in a few more zeros?

It's just a nuisance to have to respond to frivolous law suits. Some of these suits, like the one against me, are filed pro se - without an attorney.
Was it myspace related though?

slickdawg
6/21/2006, 11:32 AM

I'll settle right now for $10,000

:texan:

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 11:35 AM
The girl says a 19-year-old man lied in his profile about being a senior on a football team to gain her trust and phone number.

Who would she sue if he'd approached her in person instead of online?

OUDoc
6/21/2006, 11:48 AM
Anti-Darwinism continues in America.

tbl
6/21/2006, 11:48 AM
Don't you have to be 18 to be on MySpace?
No way. For a while, it seemed like you had to be under 18 to be on there...

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/21/2006, 12:01 PM
It's also a requirement that you like your text and pictures semi-transparent against neon vomit background.

Our old neighbors in Houston have 3 girls, 7, 10 and 13. They each have a myspace account. They all say they're 16. The 10 year old lists herself as "sexy stoner." The parents didn't have a clue when I tattled, but they haven't been taken down.

BigRedJed
6/21/2006, 12:04 PM
Link?

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 12:05 PM
It's also a requirement that you like your text and pictures semi-transparent against neon vomit background.

Our old neighbors in Houston have 3 girls, 7, 10 and 13. They each have a myspace account. They all say they're 16. The 10 year old lists herself as "sexy stoner." The parents didn't have a clue when I tattled, but they haven't been taken down.

Goodon you for telling them. Bad on them for not doing anything yet. Maybe they stopped them from looking at it, but they don't know how to delete it. It's multiple steps to get it deleted, one of which may be sending an email you have to reply to. Can't remember from when I deleted mine.

Cack
6/21/2006, 12:06 PM
/\ there are 2 ladies at my work that both have 12 year old daugthers w/ pages ... on was soooo man and stuff like that ... and i told her ... just tell her she can keep it up as long as she sets it up as private then nobody can contact her w/out her accepting them to begin w/

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/21/2006, 12:14 PM
Goodon you for telling them. Bad on them for not doing anything yet. Maybe they stopped them from looking at it, but they don't know how to delete it. It's multiple steps to get it deleted, one of which may be sending an email you have to reply to. Can't remember from when I deleted mine.

I was trying the other day to figure out how I'd monitor a teen's surfing habits.

I couldn't even setup a firewall upstream of the wireless here because we have multiple neighbors with open wifi. You'd have to go software monitoring on the kid's machine or something as well as house rules etc.

By the time my kids are old enough, it will be much tougher, too, I'm sure. Therefore, the best defense is to begin teaching responsibility and discipline and boundaries while they're young.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2006, 12:14 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/21/technology/21myspace.html

Penguin
6/21/2006, 12:18 PM
Why does anybody have a myspace account?

I don't mean to offend any myspace lovers, but you're just asking for trouble. Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, can track you down. I just don't understand. I mean, I get freaking ****ed when I get a phone call from some telemarketer on my unlisted number! On myspace, you'll have pervs, jealous ex-lovers, and Russian mobsters easily track you down.

I'll stay off of myspace, thank you very much. That is until my "candy at the playground" lure quits working.

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 12:23 PM

I don't mean to offend any myspace lovers, but you're just asking for trouble. Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, can track you down. I just don't understand. I mean, I get freaking ****ed when I get a phone call from some telemarketer on my unlisted number! On myspace, you'll have pervs, jealous ex-lovers, and Russian mobsters easily track you down.

I'll stay off of myspace, thank you very much. That is until my "candy at the playground" lure quits working.

I had one a while ago. It was a good way to interact and find people I hadn't seen or talked to in a while. Then it got old real quick, with all the stupid surveys and "you've been tagged" crap. It was a good place for bands though, to hear new music and such. But as soon as I realized that you didn't have to be a member to listen to the songs, I deleted my account.

Osce0la
6/21/2006, 12:36 PM
I originally got mine to get in touch with some friends in high school. I saw on a local radio station's website that they had a show coming up, and the website had a link to their band's MySpace site, so I signed up and sent them a message asking them about their upcoming show. I later found other friends I went to high school with so I just kept the page. I only check it every couple of days to see if anyone has sent me a message or something...I don't read the bulletins and crap on there because it's the same "Repost or you're denying God" or "Repost or something bad will happen to your family" or "Repost or you'll be eaten by giant monkeys from Pakistan" type stuff...

crawfish
6/21/2006, 12:44 PM
I originally got mine to get in touch with some friends in high school. I saw on a local radio station's website that they had a show coming up, and the website had a link to their band's MySpace site, so I signed up and sent them a message asking them about their upcoming show. I later found other friends I went to high school with so I just kept the page. I only check it every couple of days to see if anyone has sent me a message or something...I don't read the bulletins and crap on there because it's the same "Repost or you're denying God" or "Repost or something bad will happen to your family" or "Repost or you'll be eaten by giant monkeys from Pakistan" type stuff...

The giant pakastani monkeys were banging my door down, but fortunately I was able to log in and repost and they left.

Rhino
6/21/2006, 01:00 PM
She should also sue Bill Gates for creating Internet Explorer, Al Gore for inventing the Internet and God for inventing humans.

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 01:11 PM
and God for inventing humans

Religious thread meltdown in 5...4...3...

:D

OUDoc
6/21/2006, 01:16 PM
Can I sue SF.com for 30 million?
I think I made a bad post once and someone said something about it and I've really never gotten over it and now I get skeered everytime I post and I think I need 30 million.

1stTimeCaller
6/21/2006, 01:17 PM
I think I made a bad post once and someone said something about it and I've really never gotten over it and now I get skeered everytime I post and I think I need 30 million.

d00d, you owe me at least 30MM for having to read your posts. :D

rebmus
6/21/2006, 01:18 PM
good point OUDoc.

i got negspecked once... all the mental anguish, i'm not sure i'll ever sleep again.

where's my 30 mil????? (minus the 40% cut for crooked lawyer of course)

OUDoc
6/21/2006, 01:19 PM
d00d, you owe me at least 30MM for having to read your posts. :D
60 million.

You think Phil would represent me?

1stTimeCaller
6/21/2006, 01:20 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2006, 01:31 PM

D00d... with posts like that, you're never going to get your sponsor gift.

BigRedJed
6/21/2006, 01:37 PM
60 million.

You think Phil would represent me?
Nope. He has scruples. On the other hand, I'm guessing Lid is composing a PM to you listing his trial lawyering accomplishments at this very moment.

OhU1
6/21/2006, 01:39 PM
Was it myspace related though?

No, not an alleged MySpace tort. :)

If MySpace is guilty of anything it is wasting massive amounts of people's time and brain cells.

MySpace "friends" must be the shallowest form of friend and social interaction in modern society yet. Lots of dead MySpace users web pages still exist. Some of these pages still get "dude, where you been?" messages left by "friends" months after the death.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/21/2006, 02:04 PM
Well I haven't seen ChickSoonerFan in a while but I keep sending her Peems....Stanley what did you do with our princess :(

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/21/2006, 02:05 PM
I bet we really could sue NickZeppelin for 25 million dollars for having to read some of his crap...

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 04:44 PM
So, she files a lawsuit (through a next friend).. against her parents as well for negligent supervision. Parents' homeowners insurance pays for the defense and settles with her for about 750K.

Money is put in trust for her until she turns 18.

of course, she in all likelihood, would have to go to a foster home and not be under her parents' "supervision."

Attorney takes his cool 40% plus expenses.

One problem . . . the insurance company would never settle this one, at least not for anything worth anything.

Pricetag
6/21/2006, 04:51 PM
One problem . . . the insurance company would never settle this one, at least not for anything worth anything.
They would if Jeff Martin was representing her.

Jimminy Crimson
6/21/2006, 04:58 PM

:les: WHAT'S BEANO DOING TROLLING MYSPACE FOR UNDERAGE NEIGHBORHOOD GIRLS?!?!?!?

;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/21/2006, 05:06 PM
If you're a kid and you meet up with older people you met from the internet, there's a good chance something bad will happen. Should I be offended? ;)

Vaevictis
6/21/2006, 05:44 PM
I couldn't even setup a firewall upstream of the wireless here because we have multiple neighbors with open wifi. You'd have to go software monitoring on the kid's machine or something as well as house rules etc.

Faraday cage. Drop metal mesh in between the walls of your house (or along the outside wall), and put a small layer above the room. Should attenuate the signal plenty.

StoopTroup
6/21/2006, 06:56 PM
Beano surfing the net...

http://freespace.virgin.net/michael.tucknott/farada1.jpg

jrsooner
6/21/2006, 08:17 PM
I was trying the other day to figure out how I'd monitor a teen's surfing habits.Try this out for size..

http://www.perverted-justice.com/

They're the group that helped Dateline in trapping the sexual predators.

snp
6/21/2006, 11:05 PM
You know, for once I am on the plantiff's side in this type of case.

I hate MySpace and would love for it to be taken down.

Blue
6/21/2006, 11:11 PM
yep... along with hanging the ********* that would assault a 14 yr old.

Ho told me she was 18. Damn.

Octavian
6/21/2006, 11:16 PM

to join the South Ovalites? :confused:

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/22/2006, 12:36 AM
Why do you hate MySpace..that is like hating hotmail, yahoo, or Google...I mean its allright but is there a point to the hate really

Rhino
3/22/2007, 09:38 PM
UPDATE:

Judge dismisses MySpace suit (http://www.stpns.net/view_article.html?articleId=32047607569743779)

Judge Sparks called the plaintiff’s arguments “artful” and “disingenuous” and noted that, “If anyone had a duty to protect Julie Doe, it was her parents, not MySpace.” Here, here Judge Sparks!

snp
3/22/2007, 10:01 PM
That's preposterous.

olevetonahill
3/22/2007, 10:33 PM
I wanta do a clas action on behalf of All of us here .
against lid for being a gay :texan: .
and Faggin up the threads !

47straight
3/23/2007, 02:48 AM
Article is wrong. Judge Sparks is not a "travis county district judge." Man is appointed-for-life-never-gonna-get-a-paycut Federal Judge for the Western District of Texas.

I'm not surprised. Anything techie at all and Sparks doesnt want to deal with it

Vaevictis
3/23/2007, 03:19 AM
I was trying the other day to figure out how I'd monitor a teen's surfing habits.

Also, dumb terminals.

Penguin
3/23/2007, 04:45 AM
Wow. I really hated myspace at some point.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2007, 07:26 AM
Wow. I really hated myspace at some point.
You had good reason.

The fact that you were assimilated doesn't change the fact that myspace is a zit on the worlds behind.

Hot Rod
3/23/2007, 09:05 AM
Hmmm, it sounds like myspace forced her to add this person as a friend, chat with him, and drug her out of the house to meet this guy.

Her parents seem to do not be doing their job here.

"We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart Web practices and have open family dialogue about how to apply offline lessons in the online world."

yermom
3/23/2007, 09:49 AM
You had good reason.

The fact that you were assimilated doesn't change the fact that myspace is a zit on the worlds behind.

you people hate it for all the wrong reasons :)

sure the idiots make it what it is, but that isn't myspace's fault. it could be a cool medium

that is, if the software/infrastructure didn't suck

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2007, 01:06 PM
I got a lot of reasons for hating it.

Some of them may be good. Some of them may be bad.

I've got enough to cover both plenty :D