PDA

View Full Version : If I were an Episiotomy, this would tear it once and for all for me.....

sanantoniosooner
6/21/2006, 08:20 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/01/20/big-baby.jpg
Woman gives birth to giant baby (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-01-20-giant-baby_x.htm)

achiro
6/21/2006, 08:21 AM
Best copycat thread evar(except those that have pron)

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 11:40 AM
Start recruiting the kid now.

;)

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 11:41 AM
Episiotomy...tear...

:D

And also: :eek:

Boarder
6/21/2006, 11:48 AM
You don't even have to feel the episiotomy. To see and especially hear it scars you for life.

salth2o
6/21/2006, 12:20 PM
Start recruiting the kid now.

;)

For futbol or football?

Pricetag
6/21/2006, 12:54 PM
It was by far the grossest part of the birth process. I was expecting the doctor to break out a scalpel or something. Instead, he used what looked to me like a common pair of scissors. Gave me the willies something fierce.

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 03:22 PM
eww!
Lots of exercising + home birth = no tearing/episiotomy and right back to normal.

yermom
6/21/2006, 04:04 PM
i can see the right back to normal part, but how can you ensure not needing more room by excercising?

yermom
6/21/2006, 04:07 PM
and SAS this IS the best copycat thread in recent memory :D

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 04:11 PM
i can see the right back to normal part, but how can you ensure not needing more room by excercising?

Depends on the exercise. :texan:

yermom
6/21/2006, 04:12 PM
yeah, i was kinda waiting for that one :eek:

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 04:23 PM

Home birth allows for all kinds of positions for both labor and delivery. Squatting or standing vs. delivery on one's back naturally opens the birth canal by an extra 30%, and gravity makes everything easier. A skilled midwife can patiently ease the baby's head and make the whole process gentle for all involved. Exercise makes all those muscles cooperate better. Yes, "those kinds" of exercises.

Last baby - 9 lbs, 8 oz. and 1 hr, 23 minutes from waking up to birth.

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 04:26 PM
Squatting...naturally opens the birth canal by an extra 30%, and gravity makes everything easier.

Gives a new meaning to 'dropping off the kids at the pool'. :eek:

yermom
6/21/2006, 04:30 PM
yeah, i was kinda thinking of Symphysiotomy for some reason...

i would guess with the excercise thing the "distress" stuff is probably less likely

i'm not sure why traditional medicine and more "holistic" type ideas don't overlap more... maybe they do more than i know, i just don't see it a lot i guess

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 04:49 PM
Traditional hospital settings are geared to the speed and comfort of the doctor. Cold rooms, bright lights, episiotomies, and trussed turkey position are all established so the doctor can breeze in and out quickly without breaking a sweat.

Soft lights, favorite music, relaxing in the whirlpool in lots of different postions through labor, comfortably relaxing in our own bed afterwards...

hmm. Which one sounds more appealing?

mdklatt
6/21/2006, 05:07 PM
Which one sounds more appealing?

They both involve squeezing a bowling ball out of your hoo-ha so I'm going to say neither.

skycat
6/21/2006, 05:24 PM
The thing about going to a hospital for delivery, is that help is right there if either mom or baby really need it.

yermom
6/21/2006, 05:25 PM
Traditional hospital settings are geared to the speed and comfort of the doctor. Cold rooms, bright lights, episiotomies, and trussed turkey position are all established so the doctor can breeze in and out quickly without breaking a sweat.

Soft lights, favorite music, relaxing in the whirlpool in lots of different postions through labor, comfortably relaxing in our own bed afterwards...

hmm. Which one sounds more appealing?

that and $$$ is probably my answer

i was asking an honest question there, not an attack, i put "holistic" in quotes because i wasn't sure of what other way to refer to things like what you are describing in other areas

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 07:19 PM
You're asking good questions. I'm just feeling more than a little immodest talking about this for all the world to see, to tell you the truth. :O

The point about safety and emergency preparation is the most important of all. Ultimately, what really matters is a healthy outcome. A well-equipped midwife brings all the major emergency equipment necessary. Constant screening throughout the pregnancy assured everything was going well. At any point it became indicated, the hospital would have been necessary. We arranged for an ambulance on standby, just in case. Our comfort was only a secondary benefit. By avoiding the hospital, we avoided the most virulent germs and the complications that too often accompany hospital births.

We just figured that God created a process that worked best with the least disruption. It's not for everyone, but it worked for us.

Okla-homey
6/21/2006, 07:22 PM
You're asking good questions. I'm just feeling more than a little immodest talking about this for all the world to see, to tell you the truth. :O

The point about safety and emergency preparation is the most important of all. Ultimately, what really matters is a healthy outcome. A well-equipped midwife brings all the major emergency equipment necessary. Constant screening throughout the pregnancy assured everything was going well. At any point it became indicated, the hospital would have been necessary. We arranged for an ambulance on standby, just in case. Our comfort was only a secondary benefit. By avoiding the hospital, we avoided the most virulent germs and the complications that too often accompany hospital births.

We just figured that God created a process that worked best with the least disruption. It's not for everyone, but it worked for us.

Please tell me you're not one of those whack-jobs who doesn't believe in getting your children immunized.

Okla-homey
6/21/2006, 07:25 PM
The thing about going to a hospital for delivery, is that help is right there if either mom or baby really need it.

Darn straight. If that child is born with an APGAR thru the flippin' floor, what are you going to to at home? Light incense?

IMHO, home childbirth is irresponsible and if the child ends up in bad shape, the morons who insisted on tipi delivery should be charged with criminal negligence.

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 08:03 PM
Homey,

Tell me what you really think:D

Seriously, after giving birth in a Texas hospital (first mistake) with the first one, we looked for a better alternative. My ob/gyn never showed up, and the on-call doc missed the birth because he was out drinking. It turned out for the best because the nurses weren't authorized to do anything drastic, and the birth went easily. After watching a nurse change one baby's messy diaper and then stick her unwashed finger in the next baby's mouth to make it quiet down, I had seen enough. That was only the beginning.

With an easy first birth despite the hospital, a home birth seemed much safer. The support network here is tremendous, and we had two midwives and a nurse. If the APGAR had been the least bit questionable, the hospital is very close. We also had oxygen, blood transfusion equipment, and all kinds of other medical care on hand and on standby. No tipis, no incense.

The kids are fully immunized, and the "baby" is 6'4" at 15 years old. :)

StoopTroup
6/21/2006, 08:09 PM
Is he good at sports? :D

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 08:21 PM
Starting forward on the varsity basketball team in 10th grade and top catcher in his baseball league. Thanks for asking. ;)

Okla-homey
6/21/2006, 09:08 PM
Homey,

Tell me what you really think:D

Seriously, after giving birth in a Texas hospital (first mistake) with the first one, we looked for a better alternative. My ob/gyn never showed up, and the on-call doc missed the birth because he was out drinking. It turned out for the best because the nurses weren't authorized to do anything drastic, and the birth went easily. After watching a nurse change one baby's messy diaper and then stick her unwashed finger in the next baby's mouth to make it quiet down, I had seen enough. That was only the beginning.

With an easy first birth despite the hospital, a home birth seemed much safer. The support network here is tremendous, and we had two midwives and a nurse. If the APGAR had been the least bit questionable, the hospital is very close. We also had oxygen, blood transfusion equipment, and all kinds of other medical care on hand and on standby. No tipis, no incense.

Glad you had a good outcome. That said, some people drive drunk and never have an accident, but I don't recommend it.

OCUDad
6/21/2006, 09:44 PM
Starting forward on the varsity basketball team in 10th grade and top catcher in his baseball league. Thanks for asking. ;)If he's 6'4" at 15 years old, get him out from behind the plate and onto the mound. That kid should be a pitcher.

Preservation Parcels
6/21/2006, 09:58 PM
You're good! He pitches, too, but he really loves throwing guys out at 2nd when they dare to steal. His favorite activity is eating about every 40 minutes.

Thanks, Homey. The outcome was definitely good even if the method isn't right for everyone. No drunk driving, no accidents. ;)

sanantoniosooner
6/21/2006, 10:10 PM
Oddly enough I totally intended the thread to go this direction.

Mongo
6/21/2006, 10:14 PM
Oddly enough I totally intended the thread to go this direction.

You are the puppetmaster:D

sanantoniosooner
6/21/2006, 10:16 PM
Mongo smart. Post good.

sanantoniosooner
6/22/2006, 12:38 PM
It was by far the grossest part of the birth process. I was expecting the doctor to break out a scalpel or something. Instead, he used what looked to me like a common pair of scissors. Gave me the willies something fierce.
That was something else.

Careful down there dude, I want that back.

Preservation Parcels
6/22/2006, 10:16 PM
OCUDad,

You called it right. He pitched all seven innings tonight, and they won. :D

yermom
6/23/2006, 12:45 AM

funny. when i read your posts i was thinking you had the midwife business

critical_phil
6/23/2006, 12:51 AM
Please tell me you're not one of those whack-jobs who doesn't believe in getting your children immunized.

one of those whack-jobs is my PCP. he won't give them. period.

he gives people the waiver forms that the schools require or sends them to the guy next door - their choice.