PDA

View Full Version : Sports that suck

Stoop Dawg
6/20/2006, 04:22 PM
There seems to be a contingent that thinks soccer sucks. That's fine, but it got me to think about other sports that "suck". I thought I'd list some of mine and, of course, allow you to list yours.

Hockey - I think we all agree that the fights in hockey are cool, but it something really a "sport" if the best part is the fights? Why not just watch boxing?

Boxing - I don't get the strategy (assuming there is some) so it goes on my "suck" list mostly out of my own ignorance. Although the violence does appeal.

Tennis - C'mon.

Baseball - Boooooooooring. If I want to watch a guy adjust his crotch I'll stand in front of the mirror.

NASCAR - On par with hockey. When the crashes are the best part there is something wrong.

Golf - I don't know if golf actually sucks since it is very useful for inducing those Sunday afternoon naps.

Okay, let's have yours...

slickdawg
6/20/2006, 04:25 PM
There seems to be a contingent that thinks soccer sucks. That's fine, but it got me to think about other sports that "suck". I thought I'd list some of mine and, of course, allow you to list yours.

Hockey - I think we all agree that the fights in hockey are cool, but it something really a "sport" if the best part is the fights? Why not just watch boxing?

Boxing - I don't get the strategy (assuming there is some) so it goes on my "suck" list mostly out of my own ignorance. Although the violence does appeal.

Tennis - C'mon.

Baseball - Boooooooooring. If I want to watch a guy adjust his crotch I'll stand in front of the mirror.

NASCAR - On par with hockey. When the crashes are the best part there is something wrong.

Golf - I don't know if golf actually sucks since it is very useful for inducing those Sunday afternoon naps.

Soccer is of no value to me.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:26 PM
Horce Racing - where's the sport, subjecting animals to cruel training and pushing them to the max, only to kill them when they're old, washed up and have broken legs.

Golf - a great sport to watch and play, should not be on this list

Waterpolo - yawn

Polo - again, stupid

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:27 PM
Other than golf, I totally agree with your original list. Baseball is fun to play but boring to watch. NASCAR or IndyCar? Are you kidding? Yawn!!!!!!! Watch the cars go round the oval over and over . . . I'd rather watch homeless people race shopping carts.

slickdawg
6/20/2006, 04:29 PM
Other than golf, I totally agree with your original list. Baseball is fun to play but boring to watch. NASCAR or IndyCar? Are you kidding? Yawn!!!!!!! Watch the cars go round the oval over and over . . . I'd rather watch homeless people race shopping carts.

That would be really cool, especially if you put coveted items in their
buggies, so they try to rob each other.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:32 PM
That would be really cool, especially if you put coveted items in their
buggies, so they try to rob each other.

The race would be from the pawn shop to the liquor store and back.

Stoop Dawg
6/20/2006, 04:35 PM
Golf is decidedly NOT fun to watch. I suppose it *could* be moderately fun to play - if the weather is nice and you bring enough beer. Eh, screw it. Who needs golf? The nice weather and beer alone are enough.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:37 PM
Golf is decidedly NOT fun to watch. I suppose it *could* be moderately fun to play - if the weather is nice and you bring enough beer. Eh, screw it. Who needs golf? The nice weather and beer alone are enough.

To each his own, of course. I find golf fun to play and entertaining to watch to a point.

IronSooner
6/20/2006, 04:48 PM
Golf is NOT a sport. It's a game. And it sucks.

NASCAR is also not a sport. It's an activity. When they take the engines out and put people in hamsterwheels, it'll be a sport. And it too sucks.

Tennis I think could be fun to play, but since I have no idea how to I'm limited to watching it on TV. And that sucks. This puts it on par with baseball. Fun to play, sucks to watch.

Baseball's alright if you're playing it or watching OU. I can't stand the majors, but college can be fun if you care about the teams.

I personally like watching soccer, but only for the world cup. In between them I'm oblivious to its existence. I used to enjoy playing it as a kid at recess though.

GottaHavePride
6/20/2006, 04:53 PM
I like playing golf, bad as I am at it. I hate watching it. I watched the last two holes of the US Open, but that's about all I can stand - two holes worth.

Car racing - at least the kind you usually see, which is driving in an oval - sucks. Now the offroad rally stuff, Formula One, and touring car racing is great. Not only are they going fast, many times they're just driving like mad through the middle of a city. Oh, and watching one insane dude take the Pike's Peak climb in a modified 18-wheeler tractor is awesome. That guy was power sliding about 4 inches from the edge of a cliff with no railing.

rebmus
6/20/2006, 05:05 PM
if it sucks... it's not a sport.

that's my rule anyway.

PhilTLL
6/20/2006, 05:39 PM
I think of auto racing as a demonstration of engineering, to be honest. But I don't see how anyone who's actually watched a hockey game doesn't find it exciting, especially if they like soccer. Hockey is the rudiments of soccer, but faster (and harder-hitting). Baseball is so full of strategy and possibility that it's like the sporting version of the Vulcan concept of Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. \\// [/nerd]

But, I don't understand how running, cycling and swimming get on television with regularity (outside of the Olympics, which have appeal in novelty). They're very admirable athletic feats, but literally never differ in the outcome or execution. A bunch of them will do the same thing and one person will do it the fastest. Give me intricacy or give me the results in the newspaper! :)

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 05:44 PM
NASCAR is also not a sport. It's an activity. When they take the engines out and put people in hamsterwheels, it'll be a sport. And it too sucks.

True ,true.

usmc-sooner
6/20/2006, 05:44 PM
1: Mack Brown Football
2: Soccer
3: Hockey
4: Texas Football
5: NASCAR
6: Tennis
7: Lacrosse or any type of field hockey
8: John Blake Football
9: Howard *************** Football
10: Football that Herr Scholtz likes

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 05:47 PM
Forgot that one . . . sucks big time

slickdawg
6/20/2006, 05:47 PM
Lacrosse sucks, motion carried.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 05:50 PM
Lacrosse sucks, motion carried.

Man law?

All those in favor, say "aye."

GottaHavePride
6/20/2006, 06:07 PM
Baseball is so full of strategy and possibility that it's like the sporting version of the Vulcan concept of Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. \\// [/nerd]

That's what I hate about watching baseball. Playing it is fine, but being told that someone pitches a 2.75 ERA against left-handed batters wearing red socks on a wednesday after 7 pm if the temperature is between 72 and 75 degrees and the wind is from the northeast at 5 mph succs.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/20/2006, 06:19 PM
Golf is NOT a sport. It's a game. And it sucks.

Couldn't agree with you more there, especially golf.
I'll also add poker to that list. Since when that did become a sport?

Stoop Dawg
6/20/2006, 07:49 PM
But I don't see how anyone who's actually watched a hockey game doesn't find it exciting, especially if they like soccer. Hockey is the rudiments of soccer, but faster (and harder-hitting).

The problem with hockey is that the fighting and "hard hitting" is encouraged. Perhaps it's just because I never played, but I don't see much finesse out there.

When there's a guy on the roster whose sole job is to knock the other team's best player out of the game, you've left the world of "sport" in my book.

StoopTroup
6/20/2006, 07:56 PM
The Man Law commercials would be funnier if Bud had done the commercial IMO.

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 07:59 PM
All of 'em except:

1. Football.
2. World's Strongest Man.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
Soccer, hockey, what's lacrosse? curling, cricket rugby, auto racing, golf, in no particular boring order. Hunting and fishing(if they don't tell you the lures, techniques or any other details).

VeeJay
I swear, I tried to watch about fifteen minutes last night of a World Cup game. I forced myself to not change the channel. I just couldn't do it. It was being broadcast in Spanish, but that didn't matter. I keep hearing that soccer players run up and down the field the whole time. Uh-unh. The ones I saw last night weren't doing crap. Whenever the ball would get kicked or head-butted toward some players, they'd move a little. Otherwise, the lazy bastages were all just standing around - probably checking out chicks in the stands.

BudSooner
6/20/2006, 08:08 PM
I'll also add poker to that list. Since when that did become a sport?
No joke...but then they will show pool players on espn.

My list
1. Soccer-my daughter likes it..but not me.
2. Lacrosse-wtf?
3. Tennis
4. Horns football
5. Horns football
6. Horns football
7. Cubs baseball(heh!)
8. Hockey-I just never got an interest in it once the old Tulsa Oilers(of the 70's left)
9. Pool(rack 'em, not dive in that is.)
10. cricket-does anyone realllllly understand the game??

The rest....I will watch, even Red Sox baseball. :D

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 08:08 PM
I swear, I tried to watch about fifteen minutes last night of a World Cup game. I forced myself to not change the channel. I just couldn't do it. It was being broadcast in Spanish, but that didn't matter. I keep hearing that soccer players run up and down the field the whole time. Uh-unh. The ones I saw last night weren't doing crap. Whenever the ball would get kicked or head-butted toward some players, they'd move a little. Otherwise, the lazy bastages were all just standing around - probably checking out chicks in the stands.

WTF? LOL!

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 08:11 PM
the NFL.

YWIA.

85Sooner
6/20/2006, 08:19 PM
The problem with hockey is that the fighting and "hard hitting" is encouraged. Perhaps it's just because I never played, but I don't see much finesse out there.

When there's a guy on the roster whose sole job is to knock the other team's best player out of the game, you've left the world of "sport" in my book.

HOCKEY????????????
Hockey combines the best of just about all the sports. The physicality of football/rugby, the teamwork and conditioning of basketball, the finesse of baseball, stamina of soccer, punches of boxing and more combined with speed.
and I will put any NHL player up against just about any pro athlete when it comes to stamina. May be not Lance Armstrong but most.

You generally don't have the drug problems in hockey as well because as the Great One once said, you'll get killed out there if you use that stuff.

OUinFLA
6/20/2006, 08:42 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned my favorite Olympic "sport"

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/103862.jpg

KsSooner
6/20/2006, 08:46 PM
Figure skating
Soccer
Hockey
Poker

At least soccer and hockey are sports, they just suck.

Scott D
6/20/2006, 08:46 PM

You have been asked to turn in your native american card at your earliest convenience ;)

tulsaoilerfan
6/20/2006, 09:17 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned my favorite Olympic "sport"

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/103862.jpg
That looks like pron to me:D

Boarder
6/20/2006, 09:31 PM
HOCKEY????????????
Hockey combines the best of just about all the sports. The physicality of football/rugby, the teamwork and conditioning of basketball, the finesse of baseball, stamina of soccer, punches of boxing and more combined with speed.
and I will put any NHL player up against just about any pro athlete when it comes to stamina. May be not Lance Armstrong but most.

You generally don't have the drug problems in hockey as well because as the Great One once said, you'll get killed out there if you use that stuff.
If your Major League Sport goes away for a year and most people don't notice...it sucks.

trwxxa
6/20/2006, 09:31 PM
The NBA has been dead to me for 10 years.

Hockey is best watched in person.

GottaHavePride
6/20/2006, 09:38 PM
If your Major League Sport goes away for a year and most people don't notice...it sucks.

Damn, YMSSRA.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 09:47 PM
The NBA has been dead to me for 10 years.

Hockey is best watched in person.

Goat kicking is best watched in person too.

Dio
6/20/2006, 10:47 PM

Why do you hate Canada?

Sooner24
6/20/2006, 11:09 PM
I would say the NBA.

Penguin
6/20/2006, 11:10 PM
NBA

The isolation play killed it for me. 8 guys stand around picking noses while one guy has the ball, juking and jiving, while one guy tries to defend him. Then the 8 guys standing around all run to the hoop whenever the guy with the ball shoots trying to get the rebound. Repeat for 2 hours.

Stupid. Absolutely stupid. I'd rather watch a WNBA preseason game than watch an NBA playoff game.

OhU1
6/20/2006, 11:20 PM
College Softball - like watching the girls and root for the Sooners but stupid rules. Only 1 player matters - the pitcher. Typical score 1-0.

Soccer - Don't get excited at that offensive push - someone must have been offside or ran too fast or kicked the ball too hard. Excitement penalty. Take away the goal. Announcer draws out the word GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Knowing it is likely the only time he will get to make that call all day. First team to 1 wins.

Hockey - soccer on ice.

NASCAR - candy bar wrapper on the track: Yellow flag. Someone winning by too much in the last few laps: yellow flag over a fender bump. Rain? Snow? Right turns? Forget it!

Regular season NBA on TV - Bball game or rock concert? What? I can't hear you over the blaring music.

Gimmick summer football leagues, worse than all of the above.

usmc-sooner
6/21/2006, 12:15 AM
You have been asked to turn in your native american card at your earliest convenience ;)

I renounce myself, I'm no longer king of Zamunda.

you think Indians watch a lot of Hockey, and Lacrosse maybe the Sioux or the Crow way up North.

Blue
6/21/2006, 12:29 AM
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Hangar/8407/nascar.jpg

If you guys knew the names and personalities of all these numbers, you'd like NASCAR much more.

The fastest growing sport has to be doing something right.

PrideTrombone
6/21/2006, 12:57 AM

Appealing to society's lowest common denominator? :D

49r
6/21/2006, 12:32 PM
Bowling

Bowling sucks

Unless it's candlepin...that's cool! :D

Boarder
6/21/2006, 12:38 PM
It's REDNECK. Stereotype us correctly, please!

Pricetag
6/21/2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah. People will jump on any excuse to spend all weekend drinking beer.

The fighting in hockey ruins the sport for me. I admire the speed and finesse of the game, but when fighting is not only expected by the fans, but condoned by the game, it loses all credibility.

I hope no hockey fans have listed Lacrosse. They're two very similar games.

Boarder
6/21/2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah. People will jump on any excuse to spend all weekend drinking beer.

Umm, how many sports does that not apply to? :eddie:

Pricetag
6/21/2006, 12:47 PM
Umm, how many sports does that not apply to? :eddie:
Lots, but none of the other sports actually let you bring your cooler into the stadium.

Boarder
6/21/2006, 12:49 PM
Lots, but none of the other sports actually let you bring your cooler into the stadium.
i.e. Rednecks. :D

If you don't bring a cooler, they think you're wierd.

I think they're doing away with bringing beer in, actually. Seems like I heard Texas was. And, I seem to remember the Kansas City track not letting in the beer. I didn't pay that much attention, though.

Scott D
6/21/2006, 01:13 PM
I renounce myself, I'm no longer king of Zamunda.

you think Indians watch a lot of Hockey, and Lacrosse maybe the Sioux or the Crow way up North.

well since both sports are native inventions, stands to reason in general they should be more meaningful to natives than not. :)

GDC
6/21/2006, 02:54 PM
Everything except baseball, football, wrestling, and boxing.

GrapevineSooner
6/21/2006, 03:56 PM
NASCAR - candy bar wrapper on the track: Yellow flag. Someone winning by too much in the last few laps: yellow flag over a fender bump. Rain? Snow? Right turns? Forget it!

From the somewhat ironic department...

Nascar is in Sonoma this weekend for a road race.

So there will be right hand turns aplenty.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 04:31 PM
If you guys knew the names and personalities of all these numbers, you'd like NASCAR much more.

Uh, I don't think so. The fastest growing "sport" among whom and where? Don't believe the hype!

Pricetag
6/21/2006, 04:42 PM
Uh, I don't think so. The fastest growing "sport" among whom and where? Don't believe the hype!
Even if this is true, a quick glance at the pop charts will reveal that popularity is no indicator of quality.

Blue
6/21/2006, 10:39 PM

2nd only to the NFL in ratings and attendance. Granted it's only once a week, but still a strong showing.

I hated it too about 5 years ago, but I started watching it and got into it.

Just don't think you fuggers are better for not watching it. The group I went to the last Talladega race w/ consisted of 4 undergrad degrees and a couple of law degrees.

So basically it's also for us edumacated necks' too.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/21/2006, 10:44 PM
2nd only to the NFL in ratings and attendance. Granted it's only once a week, but still a strong showing.

I hated it too about 5 years ago, but I started watching it and got into it.

Just don't think you fuggers are better for not watching it. The group I went to the last Talladega race w/ consisted of 4 undergrad degrees and a couple of law degrees.

So basically it's also for us edumacated necks' too.

Educated people like senseless fun from time to time too (strip clubs, etc).

GottaHavePride
6/21/2006, 10:44 PM
Even if this is true, a quick glance at the pop charts will reveal that popularity is no indicator of quality.

But Michael Bolton won a Grammy! That means he's good!

Blue
6/21/2006, 10:56 PM
Educated people like senseless fun from time to time too (strip clubs, etc).

So you're saying NASCAR is fun. I agree.

HoserSooner
6/21/2006, 10:59 PM
If you like hockey and like the hitting/fighting, then give lacrosse a try. It is the one sport that allows the wrists to be slashed with the stick without a penalty. Those guys are the toughest SOB's out there.

And if you like drinking, give curling a shot.

Big Red Ron
6/21/2006, 11:16 PM
pro wrasslin
nascar
soccer
MLB
darts
bowling
food eating contests
hockey

Big Red Ron
6/21/2006, 11:17 PM
If you like hockey and like the hitting/fighting, then give lacrosse a try. It is the one sport that allows the wrists to be slashed with the stick without a penalty. Those guys are the toughest SOB's out there.
True, don't try this game at home.

teh succ

pro wrasslin
nascar
soccer
MLB
darts
bowling
food eating contests
hockey

Sooner24
6/21/2006, 11:18 PM
i.e. Rednecks. :D

If you don't bring a cooler, they think you're wierd.

I think they're doing away with bringing beer in, actually. Seems like I heard Texas was. And, I seem to remember the Kansas City track not letting in the beer. I didn't pay that much attention, though.

Kansas never has. I was at Texas a couple of weekends ago for the truck race and the IRL race and everyone had a cooler.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/21/2006, 11:19 PM
Golf is awesome just because I am very good at it.

I am not going to dawg a sport just because I am ignorant of it, so basically........... Unless I try it at least once I can't have a fair opinion. Of course our geography and culture dictate how we accept certain sports, ala hockey sucks in Oklahoma

Octavian
6/21/2006, 11:23 PM
I am not going to dawg a sport just because I am ignorant of it...

See, that doesn't bother me.

I don't know all the rules to rugby but I enjoy watching it.

I don't know all the rules to soccer either...I'd rather watch the hippie painter w/ an afro on public television.

To me, soccer sucks.

Madd Dawg
6/21/2006, 11:58 PM

Tennis - C'mon.

Hockey- is good live, but otherwise it sucks.

Boxing- is good, but has been goin down hill. UFC is awesome though.

Tenis- unless its Maria Sharapova, it sucks.

Baseball- I agree, its boring

NASCAR- I love it, i guess im a big redneck. If you get to know the drivers, and learn to understand the point system and that type of stuff, its better. Go Tony!!

Golf- Sunday is the only day worth watching

More:

Spelling bee on ESPN- Why is it even on there? So nerds feel like athletes for a day? c'mon, Boring.

Figure skating/ ballroom dance/ gymnastics- how can people watch it, other than for the occational upskirt?

Great Outdoors Games- Greatest sports ever!!! especially log climb and dog long jump.

Stoop Dawg
6/22/2006, 12:13 AM
I am not going to dawg a sport just because I am ignorant of it, so basically........... Unless I try it at least once I can't have a fair opinion.

I thought it was common knowledge that opinions based on ignorance were acceptable on the SO. ;)

Octavian
6/22/2006, 12:22 AM
I thought it was common knowledge that opinions based on ignorance were acceptable on the SO. ;)

I'm not ignorant of my own tastes. I dont like soccer b/c, to me, its boring to watch.

I'm positive it takes preparation and skill for my grandma to knit and sew but I wouldnt watch that either.

or nascar.

noleamite
6/22/2006, 12:27 AM
Would have to say the two man luge is pretty ghey.

BudSooner
6/22/2006, 12:25 PM
Would have to say the two man luge is pretty ghey.

Heh true dat!

Hey you got your thumb in my ***?? Nope, i'm just trying to steer!

Alot of Nascar tracks don't allow coolers in the stands.
I understand if not everyone "gets" Nascar...hell I love golf, playing it that is but watching it on tv is as painful as getting a root canal.
Hockey, I really had no problem with until the owners and players could not come to an agreement, not unlike baseball..and that took me awhile to warm up to again after the strike season in the mid 90's.

Here's another and for some damned reason it gets press in the sports pages....RODEO????
Hell I know hunting and fishing aren't sports..thats just leisure time for me but some things that are called sports just need redefined.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/22/2006, 01:15 PM

Maybe so.....but each sport takes a skill that sometimes "your average joe" doesn't have, which I repsect to an extent.

HoserSooner
6/22/2006, 02:37 PM
How long has ESPN been broadcasting dominos? We were in Famous Dave's on Monday night for dinner, and they had freaking' dominos on? :confused:

BudSooner
6/22/2006, 09:57 PM
How long has ESPN been broadcasting dominos? We were in Famous Dave's on Monday night for dinner, and they had freaking' dominos on? :confused:
Heh, after I posted my last comment I noticed that on the program guide...isn't there a tennis match to cover??

usmc-sooner
6/22/2006, 11:46 PM
well since both sports are native inventions, stands to reason in general they should be more meaningful to natives than not. :)

well not my tribe, I'd appeciate you not lumping me in with your stereo-types

geez according to scott d we all look alike and therefore think alike. :D

:D

I don't care if my dad invented both they suck

OCUDad
6/22/2006, 11:56 PM
The suckiest spork of all...
http://x12.putfile.com/11/33323321386.jpg (http://www.putfile.com)