PDA

View Full Version : Cars Safer Than Light Trucks

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 02:31 PM
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSFAnn/TSF2004.pdf

page 78...

Light trucks were involved in 37.9% of crashes and 38.2% of fatalities.
Passenger cars were involved in 56.8% of crashes and 43.7% of fatalities.

0.5377% of light truck crashes resulted in fatalities.
0.4093% of passenger car crashes resulted in fatalities.

The proportion of light truck crashes resulting in fatalities is 31.38% higher than the proportion of passenger car crashes resulting in fatalities.

SUCK IT SUV DRIVERS!!! :D

skycat
6/20/2006, 02:36 PM
Does it say what percentage of vehicles on the road are light trucks?

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 02:38 PM
Nope. But that isn't relevant to my point - the point being that if you're going to crash, you're less likely to die in a car than in a light truck.

skycat
6/20/2006, 02:41 PM
But if cars are more likely to crash than trucks, your chance of dieing while in a car might be right back to level, or above, that of a truck.

skycat
I'll add that I don't find that to be likely.

SoonerInKCMO
Another interesting tidbit from the report: nearly 5% of all motorcycle crashes result in a fatality.

skycat
6/20/2006, 02:42 PM
Those things need air bags.

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 02:42 PM
But if cars are more likely to crash than trucks, your chance of dieing while in a car might be right back to level, or above, that of a truck.

There were more overall deaths in cars than in trucks for the year (2004) these data represent... but there were also more cars on the road. Haven't yet found any good data on crash rates by vehicle type.

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 03:02 PM
I'll tell you why it is. It's because ****ing idiots drive SUVs and think they're driving real trucks. Those things are foul-handling POS that have a much higher than average tendency to roll. And the idiots who drive them also have a much higher tendency to not wear their seat belts.

A few years ago we were driving up to Iowa around Christmas. From KC north, the entire I-35 was black ice. All the way to Des Moines. We stopped counting the number of cars in the ditch - many on their sides or top - at 135. Out of that 135 maybe 2 were pickups. Maybe 20 were cars. The rest were all Explorers, Cherokees, Blazers, and other assorted SUVs. Idiots who think "hey man, I'm in a truck, I can haulass without any problem....."

etouffee
6/20/2006, 03:50 PM
nearly 5% of all motorcycle crashes result in a fatality.surprisingly low IMO

slickdawg
6/20/2006, 03:54 PM
surprisingly low IMO

Rothelesbugererwererer has a hard head, as do many bikers.

IronSooner
6/20/2006, 03:58 PM
I'll tell you why it is. It's because ****ing idiots drive SUVs and think they're driving real trucks. Those things are foul-handling POS that have a much higher than average tendency to roll. And the idiots who drive them also have a much higher tendency to not wear their seat belts.

A few years ago we were driving up to Iowa around Christmas. From KC north, the entire I-35 was black ice. All the way to Des Moines. We stopped counting the number of cars in the ditch - many on their sides or top - at 135. Out of that 135 maybe 2 were pickups. Maybe 20 were cars. The rest were all Explorers, Cherokees, Blazers, and other assorted SUVs. Idiots who think "hey man, I'm in a truck, I can haulass without any problem....."

Yup. I remember seeing that same thing driving from OKC to Dallas in 2000 for the orange bowl, right after that big ice storm. TONS of SUV's in the ditch, and I got to watch one do a 360 on the road up ahead of me. I'm sure they never saw that coming.