PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson Interview

Jay C. Upchurch
6/20/2006, 10:06 AM
It's up on Sooner Spectator's home page...

http://soonerspectator.com/featureStory.php

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 11:55 AM
No questions about the offensive line attrition for the former offensive line coach?

ultimatesooner1
6/20/2006, 01:49 PM
What’s stressful to me is trying to make yourself look good when you don’t have any talent. We’ve got talent that allows you to do a lot of things. Some people don’t want to have all the talent because they’re afraid to screw it up. I’d rather have all the talent and go attack someone else.

I can't wait for this season to start

Jay C. Upchurch
6/20/2006, 02:41 PM
These are only excerpts from a much more indepth interview... to read the entire session, one must acquire a new copy of Sooner Spectator...

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 04:10 PM
Nah.

Jay C. Upchurch
6/20/2006, 05:24 PM
That's unfortunate.

sooneron
6/20/2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah, it's a good article/interview. Great issue Jay!

olevetonahill
6/20/2006, 09:40 PM
I'm pacing myself
I received this issue last week :D
I have read 1/2 of the 1st article ;)

AzianSooner
6/21/2006, 10:52 PM
The only things I sqeeze out from the passage is that there will be more new things in this year.

it is a total AWESOME.

goingoneight
6/21/2006, 11:19 PM
I remember Leach's playcalling... OUr 1999 team had a rapid-fire offense that wasn't necessarily a boatload of talent, just guys who were able to pull off tricky schemes... I hear KW likes that kinda play, so I hope they get to practicing... I'm ready for some more of the good old fun-to-watch offense...

Blue
6/22/2006, 12:39 AM
I haven't gotten my pre-season issue yet. Do I need to re-subscribe or what?

Collier11
6/22/2006, 01:13 AM
Good job, without seeming like im being greedy or like I could do your job better cus im not meaning to come off like that but where are the relevant questions to next year aka. why do so many o-lineman keep leaving, how could someone like demarco murray make a difference to our offense next year, what differences will we see as far as throwing on 1st down, throwing deep, option type plays, etc. as I said though im not criticizing just asking

Collier11
6/22/2006, 01:14 AM
great job though

oumartin
6/22/2006, 12:18 PM
so wilsons gonna take this talented group of kids that could possibly line up and just beat everyone in the country smash mouth style and make them run trick plays and a rapid fire offense?

man, we need to bring Chuck back

Jay C. Upchurch
6/22/2006, 03:29 PM
....as I mentioned previously....

...these are excerpts from a much more indepth interview with Kevin Wilson... to read the entire piece, you have to get the new issue of Sooner Spectator...

olevetonahill
6/22/2006, 09:10 PM
I haven't gotten my pre-season issue yet. Do I need to re-subscribe or what?
I paid extry to have yours sent to Egypt , You have to sign for it personally
:P ;) :D

Blue
6/22/2006, 10:22 PM
I paid extry to have yours sent to Egypt , You have to sign for it personally
:P ;) :D

F you, Joe Boo.

olevetonahill
6/22/2006, 11:46 PM
F you, Joe Boo.
Shouldnt have messed with the old sneaky dude in the SO :P

Boston Sooner
7/1/2006, 02:53 AM
If Wilson leaves to be the HC at Northwestern...we obviously won't see what he can do as an OC. I personally don't think this will happen, but if it does then we could be in some trouble.

First of all, if it's just him, I think we may be somewhat OK. We can use Cale/Josh/Sumlin or promote one or more to the position of OC, and IMO, those guys have enough offensive knowledge and experience in our system to be just fine as OC's IMO.

However, if Wilson were to leave, and take Patton with him...then we could be in some trouble. Replacing 2 key positions...1 being the OL which is the position that needs the most work before the season begins...1 month before fall practice begins would be difficult to say the least. I don't know if we have a short list of OL coaches, but if Patton does go then we'll need a new one.

I still think we would be better off just using 1 or more of the 3 offensive coaches I mentioned to handled the job of OC. But they can't handle OL coach too so as I said, hopefully we have somebody in mind for that job. Hopefully though, neither of these coaches will leave OU this close to the season, even though their former school does need help as they go through a very difficult time. JMO

Tear Down This Wall
7/3/2006, 10:50 AM
If Wilson leaves to be the HC at Northwestern...we obviously won't see what he can do as an OC. I personally don't think this will happen, but if it does then we could be in some trouble.

First of all, if it's just him, I think we may be somewhat OK. We can use Cale/Josh/Sumlin or promote one or more to the position of OC, and IMO, those guys have enough offensive knowledge and experience in our system to be just fine as OC's IMO.

However, if Wilson were to leave, and take Patton with him...then we could be in some trouble. Replacing 2 key positions...1 being the OL which is the position that needs the most work before the season begins...1 month before fall practice begins would be difficult to say the least. I don't know if we have a short list of OL coaches, but if Patton does go then we'll need a new one.

I still think we would be better off just using 1 or more of the 3 offensive coaches I mentioned to handled the job of OC. But they can't handle OL coach too so as I said, hopefully we have somebody in mind for that job. Hopefully though, neither of these coaches will leave OU this close to the season, even though their former school does need help as they go through a very difficult time. JMO

No f'n way Cale Gundy is ever offensive coordinator. He shouldn't even be on the staff to begin with.

Boston Sooner
7/3/2006, 06:05 PM
No f'n way Cale Gundy is ever offensive coordinator. He shouldn't even be on the staff to begin with.
I thought that most were of the opinion that Cale's doing a good job, and has been doing one, w/ our RB's since he took over in '99. He helped Q become a terrific RB, took Patrick and turned him from a safety into a pretty good RB who looked like he'll be getting much better last year, and helped AD fix the few things that were wrong with his game. And since the Sooner's running game has been at least good and in most years since '99 great, then IMO CG has been doing a great job as coach.

Also last year he was also given the job of recruiting coordinator b/c he's in the top 3 of recruiters on our entire coaching staff. So when his coaching and recruiting abilities are combined, it's clear to me at least that he's extremely important to OU's football program. However, I do agree that he's not ready to be the OC. And that's why I said that the most he should be is co-coordinator, and that's only if KW leaves us now and we have nowhere else to go for an OC. JMO

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 10:44 AM
I thought that most were of the opinion that Cale's doing a good job, and has been doing one, w/ our RB's since he took over in '99. He helped Q become a terrific RB, took Patrick and turned him from a safety into a pretty good RB who looked like he'll be getting much better last year, and helped AD fix the few things that were wrong with his game. And since the Sooner's running game has been at least good and in most years since '99 great, then IMO CG has been doing a great job as coach.

Also last year he was also given the job of recruiting coordinator b/c he's in the top 3 of recruiters on our entire coaching staff. So when his coaching and recruiting abilities are combined, it's clear to me at least that he's extremely important to OU's football program. However, I do agree that he's not ready to be the OC. And that's why I said that the most he should be is co-coordinator, and that's only if KW leaves us now and we have nowhere else to go for an OC. JMO

Q became a good running back during his senior year, before that he was very average. Patrick played running back in high school and was recruited to play running back at several schools after his prep career, so no one on the OU staff - least of all Gundy - "turned" him into a running back.

Kejuan Jones never developed fully. In his one season as the starter, 2003, the running game wasn't the strength of the team. Donta Hickson never developed into a runner, but was a great fumbler throughout his career.

Cale is on for recruiting purposes. He never has guys as ready as other coaches. We're always getting from Cale, "This guy can't block yet" or "This guy fumbles too much" blah, blah, blah. Well, get off your butt and coach then, moron. Guys in the program for two or three years ought to know how to block and hold onto the ball.

If there's a God in heaven, Cale will someday leave the program for some school that is stupid enough to take him on as offensive coordinator.

Soonerman08
7/6/2006, 03:08 PM
Q became a good running back during his senior year, before that he was very average. Patrick played running back in high school and was recruited to play running back at several schools after his prep career, so no one on the OU staff - least of all Gundy - "turned" him into a running back.

Kejuan Jones never developed fully. In his one season as the starter, 2003, the running game wasn't the strength of the team. Donta Hickson never developed into a runner, but was a great fumbler throughout his career.

Cale is on for recruiting purposes. He never has guys as ready as other coaches. We're always getting from Cale, "This guy can't block yet" or "This guy fumbles too much" blah, blah, blah. Well, get off your butt and coach then, moron. Guys in the program for two or three years ought to know how to block and hold onto the ball.

If there's a God in heaven, Cale will someday leave the program for some school that is stupid enough to take him on as offensive coordinator.

Q was a very average back, since when??? What the hell are you smoking?

Desert Sapper
7/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Q became a good running back during his senior year, before that he was very average.

Lest we forget what very average looked like: Q Griffin scores 6 TDs to set record as OU whips saxet 63-14 (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=03&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2469&ATCLID=31786).

http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics6/200/WJFKEGMDBSXLXZW.20030618202931.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
7/10/2006, 10:35 AM
Q was a very average back, since when??? What the hell are you smoking?

Why don't you look at some of Q's rushing performances before his senior year. People on this very board complained about Q before his senior year. During his first three seasons, he only topped the 100+ yard mark four times, including a mere one during the junior season. What are you smoking?

Soonerman08
7/16/2006, 07:44 PM
Why don't you look at some of Q's rushing performances before his senior year. People on this very board complained about Q before his senior year. During his first three seasons, he only topped the 100+ yard mark four times, including a mere one during the junior season. What are you smoking?

Ohhhhh only the fact that he could have easily broken Sims' all time rushing record but he didn't out of respect. As stated above he had 6 rushing TD's and is one of the primary reasons we beat Texas from 2000-2002 and won the National Title. He was after all the only player to score a touchdown in the Orange Bowl. Doesn't sound very average to me, but a hell of a good player.