PDA

View Full Version : I narrowly escaped having an accident today while driving

Melo
6/20/2006, 10:01 AM
I was driving home this morning, and it had been raining/drizzling all night/morning. I took a corner, went slower than usual, but my truck still lost all its traction and swerved over several lanes. Luckily no one else was around me. I guess my truck hydroplaned? It scared the crap out of me, and unfortunetly I was on the phone with my little brother and dropped several f bombs, along with a few other filthy words.

I'm still shaking. Scary.

mdklatt
6/20/2006, 10:03 AM
I was driving home this morning, and it had been raining/drizzling all night/morning. I took a corner, went slower than usual, but my truck still lost all its traction and swerved over several lanes. Luckily no one else was around me. I guess my truck hydroplaned? It scared the crap out of me, and unfortunetly I was on the phone with my little brother and dropped several f bombs, along with a few other filthy words.

I'm still shaking. Scary.

Are your tires completely bald?

OCUDad
6/20/2006, 10:11 AM
Why are you talking on a cell phone while driving an unstable truck on wet roads?

Hatfield
6/20/2006, 10:14 AM
i almost had a different kind of "accident" while driving today

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 10:20 AM
Why are you talking on a cell phone while driving an unstable truck on wet roads?

That's what I was going to ask.

Melo
6/20/2006, 10:28 AM

I had dropped my brother off where he needed to be, and he had forgotten something at home. So he was calling me to tell me to get it for him. I NEVER answer my phone when I am in the car, because I know its stupid to talk on the phone while driving. BUT my parents arent home, and I couldnt just leave my little bro somewhere with no way to talk to me.

I ended up talking to him for about 4 minutes on the phone, and the whole thing happened withthin that time. :(

Osce0la
6/20/2006, 10:52 AM
I had dropped my brother off where he needed to be, and he had forgotten something at home. So he was calling me to tell me to get it for him. I NEVER answer my phone when I am in the car, because I know its stupid to talk on the phone while driving. BUT my parents arent home, and I couldnt just leave my little bro somewhere with no way to talk to me.

I ended up talking to him for about 4 minutes on the phone, and the whole thing happened withthin that time. :(
Look on the bright side, you can be a PSA for not talking on your cell phone while driving. You were fine until you got on the cell phone, and in the short time you were on it you almost had a wreck.

Osce0la
6/20/2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, and glad you're ok btw...Since nobody else here has said it yet...

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 10:55 AM
Chick drivers.

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2006, 10:58 AM
heh

Melo
6/20/2006, 11:09 AM
Chick drivers.

While I agree with you about women drivers, I might add that I have never once been pulled over, given a ticket, hit another vehicle or person. This was the first time anything like this has ever happened in my couple years of driving.

walkoffsooner
6/20/2006, 11:10 AM
Chick drivers.

yep:D

Melo
6/20/2006, 11:10 AM
Oh, and glad you're ok btw...Since nobody else here has said it yet...

Thank you. It just really scared me to see how close I came to sitting in a ditch, especially since nothing like that has ever happened to me before.

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 11:11 AM
While I agree with you about women drivers, I might add that I have never once been pulled over, given a ticket, hit another vehicle or person. This was the first time anything like this has ever happened in my couple years of driving.

That's because us men have become very adept at avoiding you.

Seriously, I've had many close-calls on the road with chicks-on-phones. If I weren't alert, they'd have nailed me.

Osce0la
6/20/2006, 11:14 AM
That's because us men have become very adept at avoiding you.

Seriously, I've had many close-calls on the road with chicks-on-phones. If I weren't alert, they'd have nailed me.
Same here...

GottaHavePride
6/20/2006, 11:31 AM
1. Glad you're ok, Melo.

2. Check the tread depth on your tires - might be time for some new ones.

3. Is your truck 4-wheel drive? If not, you may want to make a habit of carrying about 200 lbs. of sandbags in the bed of your truck. The weight will give you enough traction in wet/icy/snowy conditions. Heck, when my dad drove a rear-wheel drive sedan he'd always carry about 75 lbs. of sandbags in his trunk.

arenateam
6/20/2006, 02:38 PM
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/images/cell-phone-car3.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
6/20/2006, 02:55 PM

Yeah, don't you know the most hazardous thing to do while driving is talking on a cell phone? You are 3 times more likely to be in an accident when on the phone! Don't do it. Just turn it off while you are driving.

Oh, and don't slam on the gas after stopping when it is wet and you are driving an unstable truck...;)

TheHumanAlphabet
6/20/2006, 02:56 PM
1. Glad you're ok, Melo.

2. Check the tread depth on your tires - might be time for some new ones.

3. Is your truck 4-wheel drive? If not, you may want to make a habit of carrying about 200 lbs. of sandbags in the bed of your truck. The weight will give you enough traction in wet/icy/snowy conditions. Heck, when my dad drove a rear-wheel drive sedan he'd always carry about 75 lbs. of sandbags in his trunk.

Yeah and he wasted a lot of gas...I'll tell the gas police on you guys...Jacking up our gas prices and all...;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/20/2006, 03:00 PM
Are your tires completely bald?

apparently, i am the only one that went :eek: when i read this. ;)

Melo
6/20/2006, 04:12 PM
Go ahead and lecture me on picking up the phone while I was driving. Because I know NONE of you would have picked up a phone in the car, even if you knew it might be super important. If your wife goes out of town, and you have to take care of your kid, do you just ignore him? What if my brother had been calling to tell me school was closed, and he was standing out in the rain? Was I supposed to ignore that and wait till I got home to answer it? As soon as I realized it wasnt that important, I hung up. But go ahead, lecture me. Also, PLEASE give me pointers on how to drive. Ive NEVER gotten into an accident, or even come close, but definintely, without a doubt, it was completely due to my bad driving that the truck I was driving swerved all over the road. I also know, without a doubt, that none of you have EVER had a mishap while driving that was due to road conditions.

You know, as something that had never happened to me before, it really really scared me. And to think that I couldnt even call my parents, who were on a plane flying away from me freaked me out even more. All I wanted was a bit of sympathy. Thanks for not letting me down.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:20 PM
Go ahead and lecture me on picking up the phone while I was driving. Because I know NONE of you would have picked up a phone in the car, even if you knew it might be super important. If your wife goes out of town, and you have to take care of your kid, do you just ignore him? What if my brother had been calling to tell me school was closed, and he was standing out in the rain? Was I supposed to ignore that and wait till I got home to answer it?

Considering the conditions, yes. You got lucky though and hopefully you'll learn from the incident.

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 04:20 PM
Go ahead and lecture me on picking up the phone while I was driving. Because I know NONE of you would have picked up a phone in the car, even if you knew it might be super important. If your wife goes out of town, and you have to take care of your kid, do you just ignore him? What if my brother had been calling to tell me school was closed, and he was standing out in the rain? Was I supposed to ignore that and wait till I got home to answer it? As soon as I realized it wasnt that important, I hung up. But go ahead, lecture me. Also, PLEASE give me pointers on how to drive. Ive NEVER gotten into an accident, or even come close, but definintely, without a doubt, it was completely due to my bad driving that the truck I was driving swerved all over the road. I also know, without a doubt, that none of you have EVER had a mishap while driving that was due to road conditions.

You know, as something that had never happened to me before, it really really scared me. And to think that I couldnt even call my parents, who were on a plane flying away from me freaked me out even more. All I wanted was a bit of sympathy. Thanks for not letting me down.

Oh please. B. O. O. H. O. O.

I've been sideways, backwards, and upside down so many times I can't even remember. **** happens. Just stay off your phone while driving young lady. Your little brother being scared cause mom's not around is not a reason to kill yourself or somebody else.

Here's what you do. Next time there's a good rain, or some ice, go find a giant parking lot with no cars in it. Get yourself all sideways and work on correcting your slide. Steer into it. Get comfortable with the feeling, and when it happens on the road, you can deal with it (cause it really ain't a big deal - UNLESS YOU GET SIDEWAYS CAUSE YOU'RE TALKING ON A GALDANGED CELL PHONE!!!!

And remember honey, we love you and are only being ugly cause we care.

achiro
6/20/2006, 04:26 PM
Ah hell, I can talk on a cell phone, hold a drink, change a cd, and eat a quarter pounder at the same damn time while driving 85 passing all you slow old farts...and I've never been in a wreck of any kind.:texan:

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 04:30 PM
Ah hell, I can talk on a cell phone, hold a drink, change a cd, and eat a quarter pounder at the same damn time while driving 85 passing all you slow old farts...and I've never been in a wreck of any kind.:texan:

I got high on crack, drank 3 forty ounces, smoked some weed and drove 8 hours through the night and didn't get in an accident . . . oh, and I hadn't slept in 3 days before that.

achiro
6/20/2006, 04:34 PM
Ive NEVER gotten into an accident, or even come close,
You said you've been driving 2 whole years? Thats good odds.

but definintely, without a doubt, it was completely due to my bad driving that the truck I was driving swerved all over the road.
Actually in this case, yes it was completely your fault. Wet roads, you slow down, you don't hit the gas too hard going around a corner. You also make sure your tires are in decent shape. Don't blame it on the road. The poor road did nothing to you. You didn't even offer it an umbrella so it ended up all wet.

I also know, without a doubt, that none of you have EVER had a mishap while driving that was due to road conditions.
Nope and knock on wood I won't be in the way when someone like you is driving around the next wet corner. ;)

And to think that I couldnt even call my parents, who were on a plane flying away from me freaked me out even more. All I wanted was a bit of sympathy. Thanks for not letting me down.
Aren't you an adult?

mrowl
6/20/2006, 04:55 PM
you should have gotten a ticket.

http://www.mopo.ca/hello/1907759/1024/cheap-headset-2005.06.26-09.07.40.jpg

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/20/2006, 04:59 PM
I usually just cross my legs and tap my feet until I can get to a rest stop.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2006, 05:04 PM
Thank you. It just really scared me to see how close I came to sitting in a ditch, especially since nothing like that has ever happened to me before.

I think this is a metaphor story personally...I mean, I think she almost got some lovin personally and it scared her ;) :D :D

Hoosier Dynasty
6/20/2006, 05:52 PM
Moral of the story: 14 y/o's should not be driving cars.

starclassic tama
6/20/2006, 05:57 PM
haha oh man talk about thread backfiring