PDA

View Full Version : TEXAS SPRING GAME

RooseveltRoughRider
6/19/2006, 09:00 PM
Found this on YouTube..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c5UMxMDTKOg&search=texas%20longhorns

goingoneight
6/19/2006, 09:25 PM
Awful short game... intimidating that they didn't make ONE mistake... :rolleyes:

BASSooner
6/19/2006, 09:27 PM
the defense that jevan went up against, looked like nothing compared to ours in the spring game, cant say anything what c mccoy went up against, only saw about 2 plays

Octavian
6/19/2006, 09:41 PM
where's Vince?

MiccoMacey
6/19/2006, 10:00 PM
Glad to see Jordan Shipley out there. I hate to see anyone, even a horn, injured.

AzianSooner
6/19/2006, 10:15 PM
According to the script, Whorns looked very solid and balance accross the board.

Again, I can't wait till Oct to see AD run all over Whors defense.

The Consumate Showman
6/19/2006, 10:27 PM
OMG. Are you kidding me? You are posting HIGHLIGHTS of the UT spring game on a sooner message board???????? Wow. That's pretty damn lame, even for a whorn......

RooseveltRoughRider
6/19/2006, 10:52 PM
Is it lamer than you making THAT comment after you obviously clicked on it to see what was in it? :rolleyes:

Yes, this is a Sooner board...and tell me what game 99.9% of you are looking forward to? So why would you NOt wanna see some clips?

goingoneight
6/19/2006, 10:59 PM
I didn't necessarily want it on OUr board, but for those who don't blindly judge opponents, its a good first look at 'em I guess...

leavingthezoo
6/20/2006, 09:44 AM
Is it lamer than you making THAT comment after you obviously clicked on it to see what was in it? :rolleyes:

well, i didn't click it. i'd like to keep my retinas.

Soonerman08
6/20/2006, 10:31 AM
well, i didn't click it. i'd like to keep my retinas.

From the looks of things, I would say that our defense played more solid overall than theirs. Especially our run defense, but of course people will accuse me of being bias. :rolleyes: Our linebacking corps and defensive line is seriously going to be the deciding factor this year with the RRS. Our improved secondary play will help out quite a bit, but it will prob. be the fact that there is so much pressure being generated up front in the trenches that Sneed or McCoy is going to be on his back most of the game. Now I am waiting to hear from the Whorns how great their offensive line is.....blah blah blah. Sorry guys, but they won't be able to stop Birdine, Ah You, Thibodeaux, or Williams. McCoy, Pendleton, and Granger should be fine anchors for the line, and with Latimer and Alexander it's probably going to be just as good if not better than how last years unit developed as far as stopping the run. I look forward to Reggie and DJ to continue to improve as corners, but Smith will have quite a few interceptions. He's the best looking cornerback we've had since Strait.

The Consumate Showman
6/20/2006, 11:11 AM

Yes, this is a Sooner board...and tell me what game 99.9% of you are looking forward to? So why would you NOt wanna see some clips?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't click on your link to watch it. Why would I. It's not too hard to decipher that what you posted was purely highlights (otherwise, why would you post it).

And for your, and other whorn fans on here, clarification, I believe most Sooner fans are looking forward to the Fiesta Bowl against probably the team that will kick your azzes royally before we get the chance (tOsU). Other than that, I am most looking forward to playing Tech in Norman.

The RRS just won't have as much excitement this year because, you know, after we put up about 35 at half and ole Colt and Jevan count for about 6, you gurls in Austin will be singin' the blues.....AGAIN.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 11:25 AM
Our linebacking corps and defensive line is seriously going to be the deciding factor this year with the RRS. Our improved secondary play will help out quite a bit, but it will prob. be the fact that there is so much pressure being generated up front in the trenches that Sneed or McCoy is going to be on his back most of the game. Now I am waiting to hear from the Whorns how great their offensive line is.....blah blah blah. Sorry guys, but they won't be able to stop Birdine, Ah You, Thibodeaux, or Williams.
You're underestimating our O line. The UT O line is top 5 without a doubt and we have the talent to run screens and draws if your DEs pin their ears back. I think the UT QBs will have time back there. I will admit OU always has a stout run defense no matter what the circumstances though. And if our green QBs turn the ball over, it's moot anyway.

The matchup I think will turn the game in the Longhorns' favor (all things remaining equal - meaning no discernable turnover margin or huge special teams plays) will be our front 7 vs. your O line. I think you'll be chagrined to see how Bomar is on HIS back quite often once again.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 11:48 AM
In 2006, Texas will have the same problem it had from 2000-2005: Mack Brown/Greg Davis actually having to coach. Even with Vince Young, they only beat us once, and mainly because our secondary was shoddy for a season and AD was out. In 2006, it looks as though Bob actually will play corners at corner and AD is healthy. Even with the crappy O-line we had last year, dude went for 1,000+ yards.

As I've stated before, Texas' 2005 win will be a silent fart in the history of the Bob v. Mack series.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Well, I'm not going to convince anyone over here that Mack and GD are great coaches. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out this year. Like I said, I like the matchup of our D vs. your O. Should be a low scoring affair. Remember, OU has scored only one TD each of the past two years vs. UT. Gone is Carl Reese at DC (the spread game had passed him by). I would also submit that I think UT is deeper across the board and can hold up to potential injuries in key positions early in the season better than OU (you know injuries always play into it).

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 12:12 PM
UT can be as deep as an off shore drilling rig. Take Vince away in 2005, and they were horse hockey. In three years, they passed successfully on us only once - when we threw a tailback out at corner. And, they only defensed the run great against us once - when Adrian Peterson was sitting on the sideline.

In the Rose Bowl, Leinhart completed 73% of his passes for 365 yards, White ran for 124 yards, Bush ran for 82 yards and caught another 95 yards worth of passes, Jarrett 10 catches for 121 yards. Vince Young accounted for 84% of Texas' offense and 22 points in TDs and conversions.

So, Texas' D is hardly anything to fear. On the other side of the ball, the vast majority of your offense is gone. Under Stoops, we've held Applewhite, Simms, Mock, and Young in check.

2005 was an anomoly...a silent fart, if you will, of a season.

SoonersEnFuego
6/20/2006, 12:24 PM
...and tell me what game 99.9% of you are looking forward to?

Oregon? Washington? I give up.

:twinkies: Hook 'em :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 12:35 PM
Take Vince away in 2005, and they were horse hockey.
Our D was ranked 10th overall last year and 8th in scoring defense. I think the #7 overall NFL draft pick and Thorpe winner Huff (as well as the entire D) might beg to differ with you. I also think our OL which everyone said was one of the top 2 in the country last season and led UT to the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the country would also disagree (we had 2,500 rushing yards last year by guys NOT named Vince). I understand your need to think we were a one man team, but the facts don't support you.

Oh, and we've blocked more kicks than any team in the country over the past several years.

And, they only defensed the run great against us once - when Adrian Peterson was sitting on the sideline.
Yet, you only scored one TD in the '04 game. Interesting. And that was with a Heisman winning QB back there, something you definitely don't have at this point.

In the Rose Bowl, Leinhart completed 73% of his passes for 365 yards, White ran for 124 yards, Bush ran for 82 yards and caught another 95 yards worth of passes.
You really want to compare OU and USC? Might be a little dangerous comparison for you. Bomar won't do what Leinart did. OU's OL is not near what USC's was. Dwayne Jarrett was and is the best WR in the country. Lendale White was a horse behind that OL. Many were calling that USC offense with 2 Heisman winners the best in college football history. OU's offense is not on that level.

We'll see if last year was an aberration or a changing of the guard in the Big XII South. I'm sure we'll argue about it until Oct. 7th but we'll just have to wait and see. I can tell you one thing for sure, OU doesn't scare UT or the UT coaches anymore. And the pressure will be on Stoops this year.

TheGodfather889
6/20/2006, 12:48 PM
I think we talk way too much about Texas on here.

TheGodfather889
6/20/2006, 12:50 PM
OU doesn't scare UT or the UT coaches anymore.
So you're admitting that Texas was afraid of OU?

RooseveltRoughRider
6/20/2006, 12:52 PM
TAKE VINCE AWAY AND WHAT?????

Let me explain something to you.
Againt OU last year Vince Young rushed for 45 yards and ran for ZERO TOUCHDOWNS!!!

OU lost because Rhett Bomar completed 12 of 33 passes
OU lost because they cant win without Peterson, and when they DID this year it was barely, or in Overtime. Even to Baylor..

OU lost because they did not rush or pass for 100 yards..that has nothing to do with Vince.

OU lost because they gave up 200+ on the ground and in the Air.

OU lost because they did not capitalize on the TWELVE penalties thrown against Texas to OU's six.

OU lost because Bomar ran 12 times for 9 yards.

Assuming that the only reason Texas won is because of Vince is crazy.
They would have won anyway. Vince scored 74 points in 2005...thats 8% of the record 652 points scored by the team.

All the people that scored in the 2005 game are still on the team. So this Vince was everything in the RRS is crazy..

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 01:21 PM
So you're admitting that Texas was afraid of OU?
We played tight in that 5 year span for sure. Maybe scared isn't the right word. Seems like we felt too much pressure to win in those games and our players and coaching staff were too conservative. OU had a great run during those years too. Seems like that aura is gone now along with our conservative game planning. Just my opinion.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 01:35 PM
Huff? His team wins one game in the four years he's there and he's supposed to be the standard? Hardly. Nate Hybl beat him, Jason White beat him twice. He played in one winning game against a redshirt freshman QB.

In bringing up '04, you simply prove my point for me. Texas couldn't throw against us, and they couldn't stop Adrian Peterson to control the ball...and, of couse, Vince's fumbles.

So, again, I extend the Silent Fart Memorial Award Trophy to all 'Horn fans as the most appropriate gesture for the 2005 game:

http://www.champcarfan.com/zero/farttrophy.gif

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 02:02 PM
Huff? His team wins one game in the four years he's there and he's supposed to be the standard? Hardly. Nate Hybl beat him, Jason White beat him twice. He played in one winning game against a redshirt freshman QB.
He also won at the Shoe and won against Leinart in LA (he helped stuff Lendale White on that 4th down play in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl that won us a national title). Why don't you ask the Thorpe Award committee, Jim Tressel, Bob Stoops or Pete Carroll if Huff is the real deal (or Al Davis for that matter) and I think you'll get a different and more objective answer.

In bringing up '04, you simply prove my point for me. Texas couldn't throw against us, and they couldn't stop Adrian Peterson to control the ball...and, of couse, Vince's fumbles.
You had a much better OL in '04 yet you still only scored a single TD with all those things in your favor. I bet you wish you had Jamaal Brown back.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 02:07 PM
All I have to do is look and see UT's 1-3 record against OU to see what Huff can do against an experience QB.

Adrian Peterson went for 1,000+ behind a below average line. A few cracks here and there next year with even an average line will be all he need to get 1,500+ again - with about 225 of that coming against Texas again.

TheGodfather889
6/20/2006, 02:11 PM
I bet you wish you had Jamaal Brown back.
Jammal Brown actually became the dominant player that he was mostly from coaching. Jammal came to OU as a defensive lineman that wasn't good enough to play the position so he was moved over to the offensive line. He was coached very well by Kevin Wilson.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 02:13 PM
with about 225 of that coming against Texas again.
You wish. :D Again, this OU OL is not the '04 OU OL. Nor is our defense the same.

Of course, that's assuming Peterson can stay healthy until October this year.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 02:15 PM
TAKE VINCE AWAY AND WHAT?????

Let me explain something to you.
Againt OU last year Vince Young rushed for 45 yards and ran for ZERO TOUCHDOWNS!!!

OU lost because Rhett Bomar completed 12 of 33 passes
OU lost because they cant win without Peterson, and when they DID this year it was barely, or in Overtime. Even to Baylor..

OU lost because they did not rush or pass for 100 yards..that has nothing to do with Vince.

OU lost because they gave up 200+ on the ground and in the Air.

OU lost because they did not capitalize on the TWELVE penalties thrown against Texas to OU's six.

OU lost because Bomar ran 12 times for 9 yards.

Assuming that the only reason Texas won is because of Vince is crazy.
They would have won anyway. Vince scored 74 points in 2005...thats 8% of the record 652 points scored by the team.

All the people that scored in the 2005 game are still on the team. So this Vince was everything in the RRS is crazy..

You continue to make my points. And, since there were only two points made, maybe you can follow along again:

2005 was a silent fart because (a) our secondary was thin, and (b) AD was injured. Nearly all of your points relate to those points.

2006 - experienced secondary for OU, AD healthy for OU, Vince Young takes his 1-2 record versus OU to Tennessee. Result - SEE OU-Texas series 2000-2004.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 02:15 PM
Jammal Brown actually became the dominant player that he was mostly from coaching. Jammal came to OU as a defensive lineman that wasn't good enough to play the position so he was moved over to the offensive line. He was coached very well by Kevin Wilson.
Too bad Wilson couldn't hang onto those other 10 OL guys. Might have coached them up too. Now, your OL is a huge question mark. Maybe the talent is there but not the experience or depth.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 02:19 PM
2006 - experienced secondary for OU, AD healthy for OU, Vince Young takes his 1-2 record versus OU to Tennessee. Result - SEE OU-Texas series 2000-2004.
A) Correct me if I'm wrong but your safeties are not proven commodities.

B) How do you know Peterson will be healthy against us with your OL? If Stoops runs him into the ground again, his AD nickname will be for "Always Disabled".

C) I don't think it was Vince last year planting your QB into the Cotton Bowl turf. They'll be back to reacquaint themselves with Mr. Happy Feet.

TheGodfather889
6/20/2006, 02:24 PM
Too bad Wilson couldn't hang onto those other 10 OL guys. Might have coached them up too. Now, your OL is a huge question mark. Maybe the talent is there but not the experience or depth.
Akim Millington and Brandon Keith were quitters OU doesn't need them. The future for the young kids like George "The Duke" Robinson,Branndon Braxton,Jon Cooper,Ben Barresi and Sherrone Moore is extremely bright. Even though Chris Messner will be starting this year he's a senior so I'm excluding him. But in 2 or 3 years I think OU will have one of the best offensive lines in the country.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2006, 02:32 PM
(a) The safeties are experienced with Lewis Baker, Nic Harris, and Darien Williams returning. At corner, Reggie Smith and D.J. Wolfe return. All have starting experience.

(b) Peterson didn't end the season injured and was healthy in the spring. You hope he's injured again against UT, but it's unlikely. And, behind a suspect offensive line, he still rushed for 1,000+ last year. With even the slightest of improvement on the O-line, he'll do well again, probably in the 1,500-1,750 yard range.

(c) Young accounted for three TDs versus OU's young secondary in 2005. Things will be different for a brand new UT QB facing a now seasoned secondary - and, of couse, C.J. Ah You and Larry Birdine crashing down from the wings. Add to that senior LBs Zach Latimer and Rufus Alexander and Texas' 2006 version of Chance Mock will have a monumental struggle.

Again, 2005 Silent Fart Trophy...yours to keep. If there's a DVD of the Silent Fart Season, buy it. You'll need to October 8th.

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 02:53 PM
(a) The safeties are experienced with Lewis Baker, Nic Harris, and Darien Williams returning. At corner, Reggie Smith and D.J. Wolfe return. All have starting experience.
I stand corrected. I thought the safety position was still in flux.

(b) Peterson didn't end the season injured and was healthy in the spring. You hope he's injured again against UT, but it's unlikely.
I never wish for an injury. I want OU to be at full strength when UT wins. Now, I've heard some Sooner fans wish for UT injuries, but I'm not like that.

Also, how can you say "it's unlikely" Peterson won't get dinged up behind an inexperienced line? That's hopeful thinking on your part.

And, behind a suspect offensive line, he still rushed for 1,000+ last year. With even the slightest of improvement on the O-line, he'll do well again, probably in the 1,500-1,750 yard range.
That sounds about right. He won't be getting 225 vs. UT though. I can guarantee that.

(c) Young accounted for three TDs versus OU's young secondary in 2005. Things will be different for a brand new UT QB facing a now seasoned secondary - and, of couse, C.J. Ah You and Larry Birdine crashing down from the wings. Add to that senior LBs Zach Latimer and Rufus Alexander and Texas' 2006 version of Chance Mock will have a monumental struggle.
Our QB can just hand it off it to Jamaal Charles on a draw and he'll take it 80 yards up the gut through all 3 of your LBs again.

TexasLidig8r
6/20/2006, 03:12 PM
Again, 2005 Silent Fart Trophy...yours to keep. If there's a DVD of the Silent Fart Season, buy it. You'll need to October 8th.

I much prefer this trophy though... :D

http://www.waterford.com/images/product_thumbnail/7836665410sm.jpg

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 03:26 PM
WTF? I guess I need to spend more time on the football board. Say goodnight whorns.