PDA

View Full Version : How do I get on that list that blocks telemarketers?

GDC
6/19/2006, 07:50 PM
Those ****ers are driving me crazy.:mad:

Soonerpsycho
6/19/2006, 07:58 PM
https://www.donotcall.gov

Cam
6/19/2006, 08:00 PM
Then they'll sell your number to the non-profit groups. We've gotten more calls since we got on the list.

GDC
6/19/2006, 08:01 PM
https://www.donotcall.gov

Thanks!

GDC
6/19/2006, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, so should I or not?

SoonerBorn68
6/19/2006, 08:03 PM
I got rid of my home phone & went strictly to cell & haven't had any problems. :D

Cam
6/19/2006, 08:04 PM
Just ask them to supress your number when they call. Once you ask, they have a legal obligation to take you off their calling list.

Be nice about it though, or you'll get scheduled for numerous call backs. Don't ask me how I know that. :O

Vaevictis
6/19/2006, 08:09 PM
Don't forget to ask for a copy of their do not call policy.

GDC
6/19/2006, 08:14 PM
I got rid of my home phone & went strictly to cell & haven't had any problems. :D

The only reason I got a land line was my Tivo, and I made the mistake of going ahead and installing a phone since I had the line anyway.

mdklatt
6/19/2006, 08:50 PM

I don't think I get any more NPO calls than before, but even if I do the lack of telemarketer calls more than makes up for it.

Although it was fun calling back the one guy who kept leaving messages about consolidating my credit bills:

Me: Hi, I'm returning your call about consolidating my credit card bills?

Telemarketer: Great! If you can tell me how much you owe and over what period you'd like to pay that off we can get started.

Me: $50, and I'd like to pay that off over at least six months.

Telemarketer: You want to consolidate $50? Come on, be serious.

Me: I am being serious. You said you could help me.

Telemarketer: Quit jerking me around.

Me: THEN QUIT LEAVING THREE MESSAGES ON MY MACHINE EVERY DAY MOTHER****ER!

Good times....

SoonerStud615
6/19/2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah it seems almost every week i get numerous calls from charities wanting something or another...

GottaHavePride
6/19/2006, 09:52 PM
Get a TeleZapper. You can find them at Wal-Mart. You just run your phone line through it and it will eliminate all the computer-generated calls. (A lot of places use a computer to auto-dial so the person doesn't have to do it, they just hit a button to dial the next one in the database.)

Anyway, it works by exploiting lazy programmers. Those computers are programmed to delete a number from the database if it gets one of those "number disconnected" automated messages. But it recognizes those by the three tones at the beginning of the recording. In fact, the programming is so basic it only listens for the first of the three tones. So all the TeleZapper does is play that tone every time you pick up the phone. After a while, nearly everyone that calls you will have deleted your phone number.

Seriously, it works - my parents got one and they only ever get calls from the policemen and firefighters, because they hand-dial the numbers.

mdklatt
6/19/2006, 09:56 PM
There must be a list of losers who have nothing better to do than answer phone surveys, because I'm definitely on that. :O

However, I think I'm single-handedly responsible for determining the play lists of all local Citadel stations. Anybody have any requests?

mdklatt
6/19/2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah it seems almost every week i get numerous calls from charities wanting something or another...

The nerve of a charity, expecting something for nothing. :D