PDA

View Full Version : My wife was tryin' to tell me you can suck on pennies...

SoonerBK
6/19/2006, 10:15 AM
when intoxicated, and still pass a sobriety test. She believed this because a guy we know who went on to become a state trooper told her this.

She was wrong, but it is good to know she will believe anything someone tells her.

A breathalyzer test on a New York man pulled over for drunk driving July 9 showed he had twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood despite the fact that he was caught sucking on pennies during the procedure, police say. 'I'm assuming the man must have in his mind some type of an urban legend,' Lt. Donald Foster told WDIV-TV. He's correct. It's widely believed that sucking on a penny causes a chemical reaction that will fool a breathalyzer, but, as was clearly demonstrated in this case, it doesn't.

scaldeddawg
6/19/2006, 10:20 AM
I too tried this a while ago. Didn't work either. 0.12

colleyvillesooner
6/19/2006, 10:22 AM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/breath.asp

Jimminy Crimson
6/19/2006, 10:24 AM
I knew I read the title wrong, b/c I know for sure a wife isn't telling you that you can suck on..........

:texan: heh

mdklatt
6/19/2006, 10:26 AM
it is good to know she will believe anything someone tells her

http://www.sporks-r-us.com/story/2003/10/31/34555/746

You're welcome. :texan:

slickdawg
6/19/2006, 10:56 AM
You won't beat the breathalyzers, no matter what, period.

Osce0la
6/19/2006, 10:56 AM

"I think it removes the last shade of doubt that fellatio is actually a healthy act," said Dr. A.J. Kramer of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, who was not involved in the research. "I am surprised by these findings, but am also excited that the researchers may have discovered a relatively easy way to talk my wife into giving me h*** every night."
:eek:

Osce0la
6/19/2006, 10:57 AM
You won't beat the breathalyzers, no matter what, period.
Regardless, it still doesn't help when you fall over trying to walk in a straight line...

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 11:12 AM
No copycat thread yet? This place is struggling.

GottaHavePride
6/19/2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Mythbusters tested a whole lot of these myths already. none of them work. About the only thing that might throw it off is mouthwash that contains alcohol. But then it just gives such a ridiculously high reading that they'll draw blood and test it that way.

The thing that might actually help is if you decline the breathalyzer and ask for a blood test - much smaller margin for error, but you're banking on the chance that the won't have someone on-site to do the blood test, so by the time they get someone there that can draw blood you might have sobered up enough to squeak by.

Penguin
6/19/2006, 12:15 PM
She was wrong, but it is good to know she will believe anything someone tells her.

I know what you mean. I work with a girl who believes everything her boyfriend tells her. She is convinced that professional athletes throw games just so that a playoff series will go to 7 games. I sure wish that was true during the last World Series. :rolleyes:

She also believes that a police department won't hire you if you are too smart. There are also other nuggets of wisdom she has shared with us, but that's all I can remember for now.

Next, I'm sure she'll tell me that when a guy gets horny, he has to have sex right then or else he may die. :D

Damn! Why couldn't I find a girl like that?

Osce0la
6/19/2006, 12:39 PM
I know what you mean. I work with a girl who believes everything her boyfriend tells her.
When my wife and I were dating I told her that all the chicken at chinese restaraunts was really duck...I thought she knew that I wasn't serious until I heard her telling one of her friends about it (who actually believed it as well). Good times...heh. :D

SoonerBK
6/19/2006, 01:09 PM
I actually think what the dude really said was not pennies...but another word that could be confused with pennies. It was before we were together. She admitted that she was trashed when the dude told her this. I think what really happened was that he was throwing out a line to see if she would bite on it so to speak.

SoonerBK
6/20/2006, 08:19 AM

For the record, I let her read this last night and she completely bought it.:)

oumartin
6/20/2006, 08:22 AM
quite sure if you refuse a breathalyzer you automatically lose your liscense.

slickdawg
6/20/2006, 08:45 AM

You will in Mississippi. Additionally, the officer can call and get a warrant
from a judge to obtain a blood sample for BAC. You only hope at that
point is that by the time you get to the hospital, you are back under .08

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/20/2006, 09:46 AM

i thought in oklahoma it was if you refused the alcohol test, you lost your license. you still had your choice of which test to take (blood or breathalyzer).

hurricane'bone
6/20/2006, 10:04 AM
I heard that it won't help you on a breathalizer, but will help cover up the smell on your breath, so if you get to a checkpoint...you might get to the other side.

mdklatt
6/20/2006, 10:08 AM
I heard that it won't help you on a breathalizer, but will help cover up the smell on your breath, so if you go through a checkpoint you might make it through.

But then wouldn't the cop just be suspicious of somebody who had copper breath?

That's like people who think they can hide evidence of taking a crap by spraying some air freshner or turning on the fan, but by doing either one you're all but admitting what you did.

Norm In Norman
6/20/2006, 10:44 AM
Just think of all the nasty assed hands that have touched those pennies. There is no way I would stick a penny in my mouth.

Of course I don't drink and drive either, so i guess if you are stupid enough to do one you are stupid enough to do the other.

sooneron
6/20/2006, 12:33 PM
Who is this Penny and is she hawt??