PDA

View Full Version : Washington, D.C.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:02 AM
a) Driving there isn't so bad (except for the driving through Oklahoma part). Tennessee is a long assed state.
b) 3 days in town isn't long enough to see everything, especially when 1 of those days is spent in Alexandria and Mount Vernon.
c) The Air and Space Museum kicks ***. It also has the largest scariest fastest McDonalds I've ever seen.
d) i can only assume Dean was there, but I didn't see him.
e) The food there wasn't anything to write home about. I never did get a feel for what I was supposed to eat there. I assumed fish, but the fish I ate wasn't all that good.
f) THANK GOD FOR PORTABLE DVD PLAYERS! The boy watched about 20 movies in the car.
g) I used to like my stepdad. I'm not so sure now. I think I spent too long with him.
e) There is no e).
f) or f) either.
g) People are way nicer in Oklahoma than DC/Virginia.
h) So in front of the White House I see a group of about 7 or 8 people wearing longhorn gear. Of course, i'm wearing my OU cap. So being a good Sooner, I walk into the middle of them and flash the upside down horns. One of them says something about buying his shirt at a garage sale or something. Another one notices my hat and says "Who won the National Championship last year?" to which I replied "Yeah, once every 30 years or so is pretty good, I guess." To which they never replied.
i) I saw ONE dude in DC wearing a sooner cap. When passing by I said "Boomer" to which he replied "Hi". Don't do that.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 09:05 AM
Heh. I was in Santa Clarita, CA while you were there. Damn near as far away as I could be. The luck of the Norm....

yermom
6/19/2006, 09:07 AM
when were you at the Air and Space museum?

i was at the one at Dulles on Saturday in the early afternoon

and you left out the inflated prices at the McDonalds, that's how they are so fast :P

picasso
6/19/2006, 09:08 AM
driving there isn't bad as long as you don't get lost when you get there.:eek:

crawfish
6/19/2006, 09:09 AM
Why didn't you come by and say hi?

Of course, I wasn't in D.C., but you could've came by anyway.

BeetDigger
6/19/2006, 09:16 AM
Tennessee may be a long state, but the eastern part is pretty nice to drive through. Don't know that I would want the car to break down in that area however.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:17 AM
when were you at the Air and Space museum?

i was at the one at Dulles on Saturday in the early afternoon

and you left out the inflated prices at the McDonalds, that's how they are so fast :P
Wednesday morning. It was packed. We didnt' spend nearly enough time there. After lunch I ran in real fast to take a picture of the kitty hawk (which is something I had hoped to see) and then we moved on to something else. Or at least I think it was the kitty hawk.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:17 AM
I was in DC this weekend but did not see you. You should have hollered.
I was looking for you too.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:18 AM
Why didn't you come by and say hi?

Of course, I wasn't in D.C., but you could've came by anyway.
I can't help if I'm an *** hole.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:19 AM
Tennessee may be a long state, but the eastern part is pretty nice to drive through. Don't know that I would want the car to break down in that area however.
It really was pretty nice. Going through Virginia wasn't that bad either.

i don't think I've ever seen so many cops as in those two states.

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 09:23 AM
driving there isn't bad as long as you don't get lost when you get there.:eek:
We had reservations at Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria. Keep in mind we stayed in Alexandria, about 6 miles from the old part (where the resturant was). We left 35 minutes early and were 10 minutes late for our reservations. What sucks is if you are on the interstate and get off on the wrong exit, you can't just cross the interstate and get back on the other way because there probably isn't any sort of ramp. Also it's hard to get your bearings when the streets are going all willy nilly. We almost called onstar to get help, but we finally figured it out.

picasso
6/19/2006, 09:26 AM
We had reservations at Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria. Keep in mind we stayed in Alexandria, about 6 miles from the old part (where the resturant was). We left 35 minutes early and were 10 minutes late for our reservations. What sucks is if you are on the interstate and get off on the wrong exit, you can't just cross the interstate and get back on the other way because there probably isn't any sort of ramp. Also it's hard to get your bearings when the streets are going all willy nilly. We almost called onstar to get help, but we finally figured it out.
no no dude. I"m talking about D.C. in the hood! where the Metro runs through. that part. don't get lost there.

did you checkout King street and the torpedo factory?

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 10:02 AM
no no dude. I"m talking about D.C. in the hood! where the Metro runs through. that part. don't get lost there.

did you checkout King street and the torpedo factory?
We walked by it but didn't have enough time to stop. i figured it was your type of place though. Actually we ate at a place right beside it. The food was expensive and not very good. The salad bar was awesome though. For some reason they had caviar on the salad bar. I hate caviar, especially probably cheap caviar.

Boy, i really went off on a tangent.

And we stayed out of the hood as much as possible. In fact, around 4 every day we started heading back to the hotel. I did see a guy taking a bath in one of the restrooms by the vietnam wall. It wasn't something I want to see again.

picasso
6/19/2006, 10:05 AM
We walked by it but didn't have enough time to stop. i figured it was your type of place though. Actually we ate at a place right beside it. The food was expensive and not very good. The salad bar was awesome though. For some reason they had caviar on the salad bar. I hate caviar, especially probably cheap caviar.

Boy, i really went off on a tangent.

And we stayed out of the hood as much as possible. In fact, around 4 every day we started heading back to the hotel. I did see a guy taking a bath in one of the restrooms by the vietnam wall. It wasn't something I want to see again.
did you wade across the reflecting pool and do your best Forrest Gump impression?
you art to be the in November when the blue norther is blowing about 20 miles an hours. yikes!

OklahomaTuba
6/19/2006, 10:28 AM
I'll be spending the 4th in DC, across the street from the White House.

Soonrboy
6/19/2006, 10:52 AM
We're heading to NY tomorrow, driving down to DC to do the same sort of stuff. I made my kids pick 12 videos yesterday to play in the car.

I'm excited. Glad you had a good time.

BeetDigger
6/19/2006, 10:52 AM
Norm - how old is the boy? DC is a great place for a boy, regardless of his age. You should have the boy make up a trip report for you on the things he saw. We do this with our daughter when we go places. She draws a picture and/or writes a story about what she saw. It's a way to keep the acedemics in place during the summer. We don't make it too heavy, just something to keep the mind active.

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2006, 10:53 AM
It really was pretty nice. Going through Virginia wasn't that bad either.

i don't think I've ever seen so many cops as in those two states.

that drive thru the smokies and then in to western virginia is one of the prettiest drives i've ever taken

Norm In Norman
6/19/2006, 10:59 AM
Norm - how old is the boy? DC is a great place for a boy, regardless of his age. You should have the boy make up a trip report for you on the things he saw. We do this with our daughter when we go places. She draws a picture and/or writes a story about what she saw. It's a way to keep the acedemics in place during the summer. We don't make it too heavy, just something to keep the mind active.
5. He loved it. Also we got a new camera and let him be in charge of the old one, which made it even better for him. i'll have to post some of his pictures.