PDA

View Full Version : Great Anti-Soccer American

Okla-homey
6/19/2006, 06:52 AM
I know a guy who's father was in charge of high school athletics in Alabama and refused to sign-off on officially sanctioning boys soccer in Alabama high schools in 1981.

Coach Burgess believed soccer was a communist plot to take down America and would lead to the wussification of American boys.

As an aside, he didn't mind if HS girls played soccer.

I think he should have a postage stamp or something.

SoonerInKCMO
6/19/2006, 07:45 AM
Something with a tagline of "Alabama - Leading the nation in retards since 1981"?

TUSooner
6/19/2006, 08:31 AM
The stamp could feature an "actual size" photo of the guy's brain,

or at least his narrow mind.

Okla-homey
6/19/2006, 08:38 AM
Coach Burgess believed team sports played on fields which did not involve players wearing protective equipment were suspect.

royalfan5
6/19/2006, 08:41 AM
Coach Burgess believed team sports played on fields which did not involve players wearing protective equipment were suspect.
Did he hate Rugby too?

Pricetag
6/19/2006, 08:46 AM
I played six seasons of soccer as a kid, and a few more of indoor as an adult. I forgot to wear my shin guards to practice one time, and I got kicked. I never forgot them again.

Osce0la
6/19/2006, 09:08 AM
I read somewhere a few years ago that there are more soccer injuries per year in the US than there are football.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 09:10 AM
Coach Burgess probably felt that 'coloreds' didn't belong on the same sports fields/gyms as 'the good ol' boys' too I bet.

Okla-homey
6/19/2006, 09:24 AM
Coach Burgess probably felt that 'coloreds' didn't belong on the same sports fields/gyms as 'the good ol' boys' too I bet.

Not at all. In fact, he was influential in convincing the Bear to accept blacks on his team.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/19/2006, 09:31 AM
I'm thinking those "header" shots in soccer are pure madness. (maybe should be banned)

usmc-sooner
6/19/2006, 09:34 AM
I'm not much of a soccer fan, my school didn't have it either, but to ban it seems a little overboard.

these guys that play soccer run their buts off, it's like being in a sprint for an hour.

slickdawg
6/19/2006, 09:35 AM
You know why they can't solve murders in Alabama?

No dental records and all of the DNA matches.

:D

Stanley1
6/19/2006, 09:37 AM
I read somewhere a few years ago that there are more soccer injuries per year in the US than there are football.

Is that counting all the fake-*** injuries where they fall down for no reason other than to get a foul called?

Scott D
6/19/2006, 10:15 AM
Is that counting all the fake-*** injuries where they fall down for no reason other than to get a foul called?

no moreso than going on the 30 day DL with a hangnail.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:10 PM

So not only did he not like soccer, he didn't know anything about it either! Hooray for ignorance!

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 01:16 PM
So, after all the hype, the USA and Italy ended up in a 1-1 tie?

And you people wonder why I hate that ****ing game.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:23 PM

Because you don't watch it? Because you don't know the rules? Because you think that the only excitement in a game is scoring? Throw us a bone.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 01:24 PM
Because you don't watch it? Because you don't know the rules? Because you think that the only excitement in a game is scoring? Throw us a bone.

How about because in two games they've scored 1 goal and are on the verge of goin' 0'fer in the win column. Why get emotionally invested in a team that perpetually dissappoints? That's what the Cubs are for.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:29 PM
How about because in two games they've scored 1 goal and are on the verge of goin' 0'fer in the win column. Why get emotionally invested in a team that perpetually dissappoints? That's what the Cubs are for.

Perpetually disappoints? I'll go ahead and mark you down in the "doesn't have a clue" column.

GottaHavePride
6/19/2006, 01:34 PM
Heh. For our world cup teams, qualifying at all still counts as "exceeding expectations".

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 01:37 PM
The fact that we were in either the toughest or 2nd toughest group this year doesn't have anything to do with our poor performance, either. But someone who doesn't follow soccer wouldn't know anything about that.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 01:42 PM

Look nimmy, I used to coach the freaking game. I've got a kid who's quite the soccer stud. I know the rules.

Here's the deal. These guys go out there, leave their guts all over the field, and it ends in a 1-1 tie. That's not kissing your sister. That's getting butt-****ed by your daddy. No thanks.

Soccer sucks. The World Cup sucks. The whole scoring system sucks. Europeans suck. The refereeing sucks. It all sucks.

And I got your bone right here.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 01:42 PM
Perpetually disappoints? I'll go ahead and mark you down in the "doesn't have a clue" column.

Alright "perpetually" was a poor choice of words. Back in '94 I remember the hype surrounding the World Cup and how it was finally going to become mainstream in the States. Didn't happen. I remember the egg they laid in '98 in France. I remember them looking good in 2002 and once again the "Soccer is going to take off in the U.S." talk started again. Now we're in 2006 and they're one game away from going home. I hope they win. I really do, but to be honest I really tire of hearing how soccer is gaining in popularity and is on its way to becoming a mainstream sport. It's cool that you watch it and that you enjoy it, I love hockey and probably feel the same way about it that some of you do about soccer, but I for one don't have any far-fetched notions that the NHL will ever become the dominant sport here in the U.S.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:44 PM
Czech Republic - 2nd in the world behind Brazil.
Italy - 3 time World Cup champions.

First time the USA has "not lost" a World Cup match on European soil.
Quarter Finalists in 2002.

Freakin losers.

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 01:46 PM
I've never seen anyone say or predict that soccer was going to "take off in the U.S." on here.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:47 PM
Alright "perpetually" was a poor choice of words. Back in '94 I remember the hype surrounding the World Cup and how it was finally going to become mainstream in the States. Didn't happen. I remember the egg they laid in '98 in France. I remember them looking good in 2002 and once again the "Soccer is going to take off in the U.S." talk started again. Now we're in 2006 and they're one game away from going home. I hope they win. I really do, but to be honest I really tire of hearing how soccer is gaining in popularity and is on its way to becoming a mainstream sport. It's cool that you watch it and that you enjoy it, I love hockey and probably feel the same way about it that some of you do about soccer, but I for one don't have any far-fetched notions that the NHL will ever become the dominant sport here in the U.S.

There's no way soccer will supplant football, basketball, or baseball as a "mainstream" sport in the U.S. But that doesn't make our World Cup team "underacheivers". Quite the contrary, in fact.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:51 PM
Look nimmy, I used to coach the freaking game. I've got a kid who's quite the soccer stud. I know the rules.

Here's the deal. These guys go out there, leave their guts all over the field, and it ends in a 1-1 tie. That's not kissing your sister. That's getting butt-****ed by your daddy. No thanks.

Soccer sucks. The World Cup sucks. The whole scoring system sucks. Europeans suck. The refereeing sucks. It all sucks.

And I got your bone right here.

Perhaps you know the rules of the game, but you obviously don't know the rules of the World Cup and/or strategy involved.

If you think holding a 3 time World Cup champion to a 1-1 tie with 9 players on the field is "getting butt-****ed by your daddy" then come on over 'cause I want some of that.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Europe in general sucks.

Fixed.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 01:58 PM
There's no way soccer will supplant football, basketball, or baseball as a "mainstream" sport in the U.S. But that doesn't make our World Cup team "underacheivers". Quite the contrary, in fact.

What are the realistic expectations for the U.S. National Team? I'll admit I don't have my finger on the pulse of the soccer world, but seems to me that the attitude is that we'd be happy to get out of the first round. Am I wrong?

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:02 PM
Perhaps you know the rules of the game, but you obviously don't know the rules of the World Cup and/or strategy involved.

If you think holding a 3 time World Cup champion to a 1-1 tie with 9 players on the field is "getting butt-****ed by your daddy" then come on over 'cause I want some of that.

2 words. Shoot. Out.

And why did we only have 9 on the field? That's right, cause the officiating sucks. Why? Cause those **********s hate America. Why? Because we're trying to play their little homo game. Why? Cause some kids can't hit a baseball, or ain't willing to stick their head into a pile, or can't dribble without bouncing the ball off their feet. Why? Genetics? Who the hell knows?

It's a suck game. That is all.

Yeah great. We hung tough. BFD. Let's get this POS over with.

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 02:04 PM
Stoop Dawg, there's no sense in arguing with Dean. He's like the bald, goatee'd omniscient omnipresence of the South Oval. He knows everything and he's always right.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:05 PM
2 words. Shoot. Out.

Which is exactly what happens after the 2nd round.

I think Americans just can't wrap their head around anything more complex than a double-elimination tournament (and that's pushing it).

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 02:06 PM
Which is exactly what happens after the 2nd round.

I think Americans just can't wrap their head around anything more complex than a double-elimination tournament (and that's pushing it).

Ain't that the truth. I still struggle with the College World Series set up.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:08 PM
What are the realistic expectations for the U.S. National Team? I'll admit I don't have my finger on the pulse of the soccer world, but seems to me that the attitude is that we'd be happy to get out of the first round. Am I wrong?

In this World Cup, given the group we're in? Yes, I think making it out of the first round would be an accomplishment. If we traded groups with England (for example) then not making it to the 2nd round would be disappointing.

Just like any sport, it's not just about W's and L's, it's about who you played and how well you played (when it comes to expectations, that is).

At least they don't all play one game then *vote* on the winner like some other post-seasons! ;)

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:09 PM
Stoop Dawg, there's no sense in arguing with Dean. He's like the bald, goatee'd omniscient omnipresence of the South Oval. He knows everything and he's always right.

Dude, there's a reason why you'll never win this particular argument. It's because you're wrong. If you like soccer, that's cool. But it's like Chinese Checkers. Only the geeks who are into CC like it. And it's hella boring.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/19/2006, 02:09 PM
I just have a problem with any sport where there isn't a winner and tie is considered a huge moment for a team. Not too mention, at least in hockey, every so often someone just gets the ever lasting **** knocked out of them. Seemingly you can get ejected in soccer for accidently touching someone's feet. If they ever start a No Rules Soccer league, give me a call

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 02:11 PM
In this World Cup, given the group we're in? Yes, I think making it out of the first round would be an accomplishment. If we traded groups with England (for example) then not making it to the 2nd round would be disappointing.

Just like any sport, it's not just about W's and L's, it's about who you played and how well you played (when it comes to expectations, that is).

At least they don't all play one game then *vote* on the winner like some other post-seasons! ;)

Why isn't the U.S. elite? Why after all these decades, with all the money we have, can't we do better than that attitude?

Stoop Dawg

Bald, maybe. Omnipresent, definitely. Always right, nah.

Dean's a good guy, he just needs some guidance from time to time.

silverwheels
Dude, there's a reason why you'll never win this particular argument. It's because you're wrong. If you like soccer, that's cool. But it's like Chinese Checkers. Only the geeks who are into CC like it. And it's hella boring.

Like I said, Dean's the master. Just look at this post. I'm surprised I've been able to breathe my whole life to stay alive.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:13 PM
Like I said, Dean's the master. Just look at this post. I'm surprised I've been able to breathe my whole life to stay alive.

That can always be remedied.

silverwheels
Why isn't the U.S. elite? Why after all these decades, with all the money we have, can't we do better than that attitude?

The problem is with people like you (no offense) who don't like the sport. There's tons of you in this country. The people with the money love football, baseball, and basketball, therefore the better athletes choose to play football, baseball, and basketball. That's the way it's been and probably the way it always will be.

JohnnyMack
That can always be remedied.

Yeah, keep it up and :dean:'ll treat you like a lab puppy. One shot, one kill.

Meanie.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:14 PM
The problem is with people like you (no offense) who don't like the sport. There's tons of you in this country. The people with the money love football, baseball, and basketball, therefore the better athletes choose to play football, baseball, and basketball. That's the way it's been and probably the way it always will be.

Let's ****ing hope so.

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 02:15 PM
I live in OKC if Dean wants to go footballer-huntin'. :D

royalfan5
We put a man on the moon, and juice in boxes, I see no reason why we can't string together the 15 or so guys needed to win this thing.

JohnnyMack

But we can excel in so many olympic sports, even if we're not winning, we're right there. In all the United States we can't scrape up 15 or so d00ds that can kick some soccer ***?

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 02:16 PM
We put a man on the moon, and juice in boxes, I see no reason why we can't string together the 15 or so guys needed to win this thing.

:les:Get outta my head!!!!!!!!!!

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:17 PM
I live in OKC if Dean wants to go footballer-huntin'. :D

Then come pick up a galdamned puppy!! And I'll have my 16 year old soccer stud school yo azz.

Actually, he is quitting this year and focusing more on football/basketball. His daddy loves him. Even more now.

royalfan5
6/19/2006, 02:17 PM
:les:Get outta my head!!!!!!!!!!
sorry:O

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:18 PM

Well, I have my opinions, but they're just opinions.

1. US-born athletes gravitate towards the "elite" American sports (football, basketball). And why not? There's much more money to be made there.

2. It's tough to dig yourself up out of a hole. The US has a reputation of being a mid-level team. How do you recruit to a mid-level team? (See: OSU)

3. As Dean alluded to, the rest of the world seems to enjoy the US not dominating soccer. We don't get the "calls" or the "draws", IMO.

4. It doesn't make sense to "buy" World Cup (e.g. buy a bunch of high-calibre players from other countries). How would you get a return on that investment in the US? Would it create a sense of national pride if we did it? I doubt it.

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 02:18 PM
But we can excel in so many olympic sports, even if we're not winning, we're right there. In all the United States we can't scrape up 15 or so d00ds that can kick some soccer ***?

Well, we'd have to scrape them up and send them to Europe to play club soccer since the MLS sucks.

royalfan5
6/19/2006, 02:19 PM
Well, we'd have to scrape them up and send them to Europe to play club soccer since the MLS sucks.
What if we started recruiting people from other countries to play for us. I'm sure we can outspend the Braizlians and Agrentines.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 02:20 PM
4. It doesn't make sense to "buy" World Cup (e.g. buy a bunch of high-calibre players from other countries). How would you get a return on that investment in the US? Would it create a sense of national pride if we did it? I doubt it.

I'd buy that Wheaties box!!!!!!!!! ;)

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 02:21 PM
Then come pick up a galdamned puppy!! And I'll have my 16 year old soccer stud school yo azz.

Actually, he is quitting this year and focusing more on football/basketball. His daddy loves him. Even more now.

He probably could school me. I haven't played competitively since I was about his age.

Look, I would have loved to have played football/basketball growing up. But I'm part Asian, which means I'm short and wouldn't be able to play either sport (though I do kick *** every now and then in b-ball pick-up games). So I grew up playing soccer and I grew to love it. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/19/2006, 02:22 PM
Well, Soccer also seems like OsU behaves about wrestling...they stopped a civil war in Africa because of this crap. Which brings up the question, how ignorant and crazy are you to fight for no damm good reason but quit just because your guys are kicking a soccer ball. The rest of the world is bat **** crazy!

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 02:23 PM
What if we started recruiting people from other countries to play for us. I'm sure we can outspend the Braizlians and Agrentines.

They'd have to become citizens, too.

*queue illegal immigrants thread.*

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:23 PM

Exacltly.

Why are other countries finally starting to compete in olympic basketball? Because their players play in the NBA.

None of our soccer players play in European leagues.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:24 PM
He probably could school me. I haven't played competitively since I was about his age.

Look, I would have loved to have played football/basketball growing up. But I'm part Asian, which means I'm short and wouldn't be able to play either sport (though I do kick *** every now and then in b-ball pick-up games). So I grew up playing soccer and I grew to love it. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Nothing's wrong with it. I love hunting. Lots of people think it's pointless. And boring. I don't expect you to get an erection over the World Trap & Skeet Championships, don't expect me to get one over soccer.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:29 PM

Although the US market contributes very little, David Beckham's salary is an estimated $37.4 million a year. Only about $10 million of that is related to playing football at Real Madrid.

Most of his salary comes from endorsements with Vodaphone ($1.8 million), Rage Software ($2.7 million), Japanese TV ($500,000), Police Sunglasses ($1.8 million), Pepsi ($3.6 million), Adidas ($5.4 million), Gillette ($7.5 million) and others. An auto dealer paid him $18 million last year to go on a 10-day tour of Asia promoting its cars.

http://www.beckhamwatch.com/beckham-facts.html

royalfan5
6/19/2006, 02:29 PM
They'd have to become citizens, too.

*queue illegal immigrants thread.*
I'm sure we could swing 15 soccer players, considering how many Latin American baseball playes we let in.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:31 PM
Nothing's wrong with it. I love hunting. Lots of people think it's pointless. And boring. I don't expect you to get an erection over the World Trap & Skeet Championships, don't expect me to get one over soccer.

See, the thing is, hunting really *is* pointless. And boring.

Unless you're hunting with Dick Cheney, that is.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:44 PM

Heh. Of course you've never been to the woods with Dean either.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 02:48 PM
No, but I've seen Deliverance.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 02:49 PM
Squeal like a pig, boy.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/19/2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know, that deer jerky my friend gives me could argue against your pointless ;)

IB4OU2
6/19/2006, 02:54 PM

The point is harvesting your own healthy wild game for table fair instead of having someone else kill some cornfed cow raised in a stockyard for you.

and btw, Dick's a skilled hunter, that head shot saved alot of lawyer meat.

Stoop Dawg
6/19/2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but corn-fed cow is deeee-licious and so much easier to get!

IB4OU2
6/19/2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, but corn-fed cow is deeee-licious and so much easier to get!

So are venison backstraps cooked over a camp fire with some fried potatoes w/onions, pinto beans, biscuits and your favorite drink. :)

Scott D
6/19/2006, 03:26 PM

but yet the World Cup this year is drawing higher ratings on ESPN and ABC than the NHL ever did in any of the years they were on there.

Look, I like hockey as much if not more than you, but you're talking out of your *** about soccer.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 03:29 PM

Romario plays for the Miami franchise in the MLS....rumor is in 2 years or so David Beckham will come to the US to play in the MLS......allegedly it was rumored the NY Red Bulls offered Ronaldo a 10 year contract for $120 million to come to the MLS next year.

In the 'original' pro league in the 70s/80s Pele played for the New York franchise.

1stTimeCaller
6/19/2006, 03:30 PM
is the World Cup this year beating the Stanley Cup in ratings this year?

Scott D
6/19/2006, 03:31 PM

yes.

JohnnyMack
Look, I like hockey as much if not more than you, but you're talking out of your *** about soccer.

Whadda ya mean?

SoonerInKCMO
Romario plays for the Miami franchise in the MLS....rumor is in 2 years or so David Beckham will come to the US to play in the MLS......allegedly it was rumored the NY Red Bulls offered Ronaldo a 10 year contract for $120 million to come to the MLS next year.

In the 'original' pro league in the 70s/80s Pele played for the New York franchise.

I wonder how much they'd give me - I'm about as chubby and out of shape as Ronaldo.

1stTimeCaller
6/19/2006, 03:32 PM
good. JohnnyMack sure can pick a loser. ;)

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 03:32 PM
The lockout in hockey that lasted a long time probably didn't help their ratings for this year. I love hockey, but I'm never home to watch the games, so it's not my fault. Go Oilers, though.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 03:33 PM
good. JohnnyMack sure can pick a loser. ;)

You didn't have to say yes when I asked you to Prom.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 03:39 PM
Whadda ya mean?

While there are plenty of individuals whom remain closed minded on the subject of soccer, the facts are that more people are playing than were playing even 10 years ago. More games are televised than even 5 years ago. While the league as a whole is struggling, the MLS is gaining ground. More schools have varsity teams than 10 years ago (college and high school).

Hockey's growth in the USA is along the same groundswell lines, but it like Soccer is handicapped by the 'If Americans didn't invent it, it can't be any good...must be communist..etc.' thought process. 90% of people who claim to absolutely hate hockey have never gone to a game in person. 90% of people who hate soccer hate it because they're mostly condititioned to hate it.

Right now, based on television ratings and participation, soccer is well ahead of hockey right now in this country, and that's just a fact. I've played both, I enjoy both, and I'm mainly better at soccer than hockey because I am not the strongest of skaters. I also enjoy the tactical beauty of both games, and I really dislike the things that create stoppages in play. Both sports are at their most beautiful when it's constant action and movement that isn't marred by whistles. It's something that baseball, basketball, and especially football will never have in that regard.

And you should know by now, that I'd defend hockey just as strongly as I'm defending soccer now.

1stTimeCaller
6/19/2006, 03:42 PM
You didn't have to say yes when I asked you to Prom.

but I'm sure glad that I did.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 03:45 PM
Right now, based on television ratings and participation, soccer is well ahead of hockey right now in this country, and that's just a fact.

I blame ESPN. ****ing scumbag **********s should have their Bristol HQ taken out with a couple of 500 lb. bombs.

If hockey isn't hampered by the lockout a new television contract and the fact that two small market clubs made the finals I really don't think we're having this discussion. I think if the Rangers were playing the Coyotes or if the Red Wings (snicker, giggle, point) were playing the Flyers you'd see better ratings. Small market Canadian teams don't help ratings.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 03:48 PM
I blame ESPN. ****ing scumbag **********s should have their Bristol HQ taken out with a couple of 500 lb. bombs.

If hockey isn't hampered by the lockout a new television contract and the fact that two small market clubs made the finals I really don't think we're having this discussion. I think if the Rangers were playing the Coyotes or if the Red Wings (snicker, giggle, point) were playing the Flyers you'd see better ratings. Small market Canadian teams don't help ratings.

Bettman dropped the ball on the ESPN thing. He and the owners should have gone into negotiations knowing they needed to kiss ABC/ESPN's ***. The lockout season programming proved that ESPN would be just fine without hockey, however I'm not sold on OLN and I think the NHL is going to need ESPN within 2 years. At this point I don't think the Rangers, Red Wings, Avalanche, Stars, Flyers, or Kings could have helped the ratings this year.

BajaOklahoma
6/19/2006, 04:01 PM
Scott D is my hero. :)

IB4OU2
6/19/2006, 04:13 PM
Scott D is my hero. :)

He's allright, except for that "soccer enthusiast" part. ;)

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 04:14 PM
Bettman dropped the ball on the ESPN thing. He and the owners should have gone into negotiations knowing they needed to kiss ABC/ESPN's ***. The lockout season programming proved that ESPN would be just fine without hockey, however I'm not sold on OLN and I think the NHL is going to need ESPN within 2 years. At this point I don't think the Rangers, Red Wings, Avalanche, Stars, Flyers, or Kings could have helped the ratings this year.

Bettman is the lynchpin in this whole thing unravelling the way it did I agree, but I think that with an ESPN/Big Market team in the finals combo, the NHL would look better than you think. Just my opinion though.

Pricetag
6/19/2006, 04:28 PM
So, after all the hype, the USA and Italy ended up in a 1-1 tie?

I've never been a big fan of ties, either. It seems like if you're going to have a competition, there ought to be a winner and a loser.

But I don't think a lack of a win/loss decision negates the excitement and intrigue that this game had. And if the United States had come out on the losing end of a shoot out or something, it would have been a real shame.

C&CDean
6/19/2006, 04:41 PM
While there are plenty of individuals whom remain closed minded on the subject of soccer, the facts are that more people are playing than were playing even 10 years ago. More games are televised than even 5 years ago. While the league as a whole is struggling, the MLS is gaining ground. More schools have varsity teams than 10 years ago (college and high school).

Hockey's growth in the USA is along the same groundswell lines, but it like Soccer is handicapped by the 'If Americans didn't invent it, it can't be any good...must be communist..etc.' thought process. 90% of people who claim to absolutely hate hockey have never gone to a game in person. 90% of people who hate soccer hate it because they're mostly condititioned to hate it.

Right now, based on television ratings and participation, soccer is well ahead of hockey right now in this country, and that's just a fact. I've played both, I enjoy both, and I'm mainly better at soccer than hockey because I am not the strongest of skaters. I also enjoy the tactical beauty of both games, and I really dislike the things that create stoppages in play. Both sports are at their most beautiful when it's constant action and movement that isn't marred by whistles. It's something that baseball, basketball, and especially football will never have in that regard.

And you should know by now, that I'd defend hockey just as strongly as I'm defending soccer now.

Dude, just because I don't like the game doesn't mean I'm "close minded" about it.

But the rest of your diatribe is kinda weak. Tactical beauty? Beautiful? Sorry, but a perfectly executed corner kick that a diving forward masterfully heads into the goal past a diving defender will never match a bottom of the 9th, 2 out, 2 strike, game 7 of the World Series, walkoff homerun - or strikeout. Or a no time on the clock, last second hail mary pass completed for a TD when your team is down by 6 in the NC game. Or a .1 second off-balance 3 pointer for the NC.

Sorry. It won't.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 04:43 PM
I'll take Pisani's shorthanded breakaway goal on the road in overtime to stave off elimination over any goal you can show me from this year's world cup.

silverwheels
6/19/2006, 04:45 PM
Everyone has his/her own opinion. Which is good, because if we all had the same opinion then it'd get pretty boring around here.

JohnnyMack
6/19/2006, 04:45 PM
Everyone has his/her own opinion. Which is good, because if we all had the same opinion then it'd get pretty boring around here.

Yup.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 07:30 PM
Dude, just because I don't like the game doesn't mean I'm "close minded" about it.

But the rest of your diatribe is kinda weak. Tactical beauty? Beautiful? Sorry, but a perfectly executed corner kick that a diving forward masterfully heads into the goal past a diving defender will never match a bottom of the 9th, 2 out, 2 strike, game 7 of the World Series, walkoff homerun - or strikeout. Or a no time on the clock, last second hail mary pass completed for a TD when your team is down by 6 in the NC game. Or a .1 second off-balance 3 pointer for the NC.

Sorry. It won't.

that's a difference of opinion..you look at the hail mary to see if it'll be caught, I look at the hail mary to see if the defensive backs have good positioning and leverage from the snap of the ball until the end of the result of the play.

Stanley1
6/19/2006, 07:33 PM
that's a difference of opinion..you look at the hail mary to see if it'll be caught, I look at the hail mary to see if the defensive backs have good positioning and leverage from the snap of the ball until the end of the result of the play.

I've said this before, but I love defensive sporting events. I love a well played 2-1 baseball game, or the way Kelvin would slow the OU/KU games down and win 62-59, or the defensive battle in the RRS the year TRRW made "the play".

That said.....every single game in soccer is that way, so it isn't "special".

Scott D
6/19/2006, 07:36 PM
I've said this before, but I love defensive sporting events. I love a well played 2-1 baseball game, or the way Kelvin would slow the OU/KU games down and win 62-59, or the defensive battle in the RRS the year TRRW made "the play".

That said.....every single game in soccer is that way, so it isn't "special".

yeah, that's why in the past 5 days there have been 2 games that were 4-0 and another one that was a come from behind 3-1 game today, not to mention the 6-0 game earlier in the week.

GDC
6/19/2006, 07:47 PM
How did he feel about volleyball?

Jerk
6/19/2006, 08:49 PM
hmm....I played soccer for 4-5 years and I grew up to be a right-wing gun nut.

jrsooner
6/19/2006, 08:53 PM
But the rest of your diatribe is kinda weak. Tactical beauty? Beautiful? Sorry, but a perfectly executed corner kick that a diving forward masterfully heads into the goal past a diving defender will never match a bottom of the 9th, 2 out, 2 strike, game 7 of the World Series, walkoff homerun - or strikeout. Or a no time on the clock, last second hail mary pass completed for a TD when your team is down by 6 in the NC game. Or a .1 second off-balance 3 pointer for the NC.Do they actually keep score in soccer??? Down here the big thing was not to keep score to save the little psychees of the kids. I'd die before I become a "Soccer dad/mom" - TKD, Softball, etc. that's okay, but definately not soccer. :)

Cam
6/19/2006, 09:30 PM
Saturday's USA/Italy game had an over night 5.2 rating. Average for the tournament is around a 2.0 rating on ESPN/ABC. Univision was at 2.6 for the first 8 games. Not sure what they're at thru the 2nd round of games.

During the NHL playoffs, OLN is averaging a 0.4 rating (1st 2 rounds).

To put that into perspective, the average tv rating for the 2002 Japan/S. Korea World Cup was 0.6. Keep in mind that all of the games were shown live at 2, 3, 4, 5 o'clock in the morning. Not exactly prime time viewing... To be fair, it is OLN for crying out loud. Not many people even know the have OLN, much less watch it.

Opening day match ratings from Nielson Media Research:

The opening game of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where Germany defeated Cost Rica, 4 to 2, had an average of 1.4 million U.S. viewers on ESPN2 and 2.1 million viewers on Univision. ESPN2 had 1.7 million viewers compared to Univision’s 1.9 million for game 2, as Ecuador triumphed over Poland 1 to 0.

Taken from this. (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/14832432.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_sports)

Game 1 of the Cup finals, broadcast on OLN (the Outdoor Life Network), was outdrawn by women's college softball.

Game 2, also on OLN, was a ratings loser to a rained-out ESPN baseball game that never started.

Game 3, shown on NBC, lost its time slot in the Los Angeles market -- a region that includes two NHL franchises -- to reruns of I Love Lucy.

The NHL has noone to blame but themselves IMO. Baseball is "Americas game" and look what the strike did to it. Did they really think hockey would survive a lockout with minimal dropout?

usmc-sooner
6/19/2006, 09:34 PM
I don't like soccer or hockey, hockey is just bigger more manly men playing soccer on ice and fighting every now and then.

But a lot of this is where I grew no true Oklahoman in the 80's was watching soccer or hockey.:D

GottaHavePride
6/19/2006, 10:02 PM
I don't like soccer or hockey, hockey is just bigger more manly men playing soccer on ice and fighting every now and then.

They're not really bigger, the pads just make it look like they're bigger. ;)

Oh, and Cam:

Saturday's USA/Italy game had an over night 5.2 rating. Average for the tournament is around a 2.0 rating on ESPN/ABC. Univision was at 2.6 for the first 8 games. Not sure what they're at thru the 2nd round of games.

During the NHL playoffs, OLN is averaging a 0.4 rating (1st 2 rounds).

Another thing to keep in mind is that OLN's ratings are in the evening. Prime time when everyone's at home to watch. The World Cup games are daytime tv when everyone's supposed to be at work. Ratings like that during the day are pretty good pwnage.

usmc-sooner
6/19/2006, 10:05 PM
They're not really bigger, the pads just make it look like they're bigger. ;)

I don't really know enough about either sport, just not my cup of tea.

I do know that every now and then we'd play soccer in the Marine Corps for PT and all that running kicks your butt.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 10:07 PM
I don't really know enough about either sport, just not my cup of tea.

I do know that every now and then we'd play soccer in the Marine Corps for PT and all that running kicks your butt.

your native bretheren from north of the border are embarrassed for you ;)

usmc-sooner
6/19/2006, 10:20 PM
your native bretheren from north of the border are embarrassed for you ;)

everyone North of the Mason-Dixon is dead to me..

:D

Boarder
6/19/2006, 10:21 PM
Czech Republic - 2nd in the world behind Brazil.
Italy - 3 time World Cup champions.

First time the USA has "not lost" a World Cup match on European soil.
Quarter Finalists in 2002.

Freakin losers.

You get excited about having a team "not lose" a game for the first time ever? Where are your season tickets at Boone located? How orange are you?

49r
6/19/2006, 10:33 PM
I've actually been thinking a bit about why soccer isn't more popular in the US, and this thought occurred to me.

The networks don't like to broadcast it. It's the only sport that dosen't have built in commercial breaks. The US broadcasters can't make a profit televising this sport due to the fact that the play is continuous for 45 minutes. Therefore, few people even have the chance to watch it on a regular basis. If folks can't watch the game, how the hell are they supposed to fall in love with it?

Will this ever change? Maybe with HDTV, they can figure out a way to sell in-game advertising and make the game profitable to televise. But I'm not holding my breath.

Scott D
6/19/2006, 11:22 PM
49er, every match has been in HD so far this World Cup...ironic eh..especially since ABC carries at least 1 game a day.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/19/2006, 11:32 PM
Did i just hear on ESPN that USA has exactly one shot on goal!!! Please tell me that we don't suck that bad ;)

silverwheels
6/20/2006, 12:42 AM
Did i just hear on ESPN that USA has exactly one shot on goal!!! Please tell me that we don't suck that bad ;)

It's not that we suck, it's just that there are other good teams in our group; one of whom has already proven that they are 3 goals better than us.

snp
6/20/2006, 01:39 AM
I've actually been thinking a bit about why soccer isn't more popular in the US, and this thought occurred to me.

There isn't just on reason; there's several. But us soccer guys are getting sick of going over it every time a soccer thread shows up.

Speaking of which, whuddup soccer crew. :cool:

silverwheels
6/20/2006, 01:43 AM
Speaking of which, whuddup soccer crew. :cool:

What it do.

I'm going to have to miss all the games tomorrow, but yahoo! is my friend.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2006, 03:35 AM
Yeah but one shot on goal, Isn't that like running for the Triple Crown but not bringing a horse...I mean hell at least miss wide right or something

Stoop Dawg
6/20/2006, 11:38 AM
If ESPN is reporting that we've only had one shot on goal in two games then they are complete morons. We had at least 10 in the first half of the Italy game. Our offense was very aggressive in that game, until the ref started tossing our players out of the game.

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 11:40 AM
Y'all are missing the difference between 'shot' and 'shot on goal'.

Scott D
6/20/2006, 11:41 AM
there's a difference between shots, and shots on goal.

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2006, 11:41 AM
Is there an echo in here? :D

GottaHavePride
6/20/2006, 11:45 AM
Yes, according to FIFA's world cup site we've had 14 shots, and one shot on goal. In other words, we've shot 14 times, but only one of those was on-target and saved by the opposing goalie. The other thirteen were "wide right".

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2006, 12:08 PM
Good because I was like surely that can't be right, I suck but i am sure we could have missed one goal against even Brazil if we put together a Moderator SO team ;)

Stoop Dawg
6/20/2006, 12:53 PM
there's a difference between shots, and shots on goal.

IMO, there are only two types of shots: those that go into the net and those that don't.