PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling at its best

MiccoMacey
6/18/2006, 11:48 AM
Don't know if anyone's talked about this much...

We play four teams in September, and then we have an off-week before Texas. Texas plays five teams and does not get a break before our game (although it could easily be argued that playing Sam Houston State on September 30th at home is a break).

Can you imagine how much coaching Bob Stoops and staff can do in two whole weeks, having watched Texas "A" game against Ohio State?

I like our chances even more now. :)

Bevo-Stevo
6/18/2006, 12:17 PM
Can you imagine how much coaching Bob Stoops and staff can do in two whole weeks, having watched Texas "A" game against Ohio State?

Perhaps even as much as Pete Carroll did last year when he had 6 weeks....perhaps Stoops and Co. can even do more.:rolleyes: The posts over here concerning this year's Texas-ou game are getting beyond ridiculous. The one on the other thread about being excited because, Texas is apparently "losing everyone on Defense and their entire offensive line," takes the cake however. Texas 27-ou 10. Have a good one.

yermom
6/18/2006, 12:22 PM
good luck with that

no VY, no win in Dallas

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/18/2006, 12:26 PM
Perhaps even as much as Pete Carroll did last year when he had 6 weeks....perhaps Stoops and Co. can even do more.:rolleyes: The posts over here concerning this year's Texas-ou game are getting beyond ridiculous. The one on the other thread about being excited because, Texas is apparently "losing everyone on Defense and their entire offensive line," takes the cake however. Texas 27-ou 10. Have a good one.

Im sure you saw my post on that thread and how I feel about UT's defense. However, just mentioned above you don't have black Jesus anymore

OU-17
UT-10

Dances with Possums
6/18/2006, 12:39 PM
Last year at this time you guys were saying that "Black Jesus" couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

sooner n houston
6/18/2006, 12:49 PM
Last year at this time you guys were saying that "Black Jesus" couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

And he couldn't! How many points did he have vs OU going into last year? Thats what I thought!

oumartin
6/18/2006, 12:50 PM
it took Texas playing against a broken AD, rookie quarterback, make shift offensive line, very unexperienced secondary, & chuck long to beat OU last year.

Flagstaffsooner
6/18/2006, 01:16 PM
Why don't you gawdamned whorns crawl back into your hole and STFU.

Bevo-Stevo
6/18/2006, 01:32 PM
Why don't you gawdamned whorns crawl back into your hole and STFU

Newsflash.....it's gonna get worse for you after Oct. 7th. Learn to deal with it.

Flagstaffsooner
6/18/2006, 01:39 PM
Newsflash.....it's gonna get worse for you after Oct. 7th. Learn to deal with it.Like hell, bevo breath. What are you going to do, throw Pony McCoy at us?:D

MiccoMacey
6/18/2006, 02:15 PM
Perhaps even as much as Pete Carroll did last year when he had 6 weeks....perhaps Stoops and Co. can even do more.:rolleyes:

Yes, except Bob Stoops and Company have a proven track record against Texas that Pete Carroll doesn't have. Especially when given an extra week to prepare (actually three weeks as we "play" Middle tennessee State the week before). As for "doing more", take away VY last year in the Rose Bowl and you had no offense. I like our chances even more now.

The posts over here concerning this year's Texas-ou game are getting beyond ridiculous. The one on the other thread about being excited because, Texas is apparently "losing everyone on Defense and their entire offensive line," takes the cake however. Texas 27-ou 10. Have a good one.

Wasn't me who made that statement. But I do like who we have returning, and minus a few unanswered questions here and there (which all teams have right now) we match up well.

This game will be reminiscent of 2001 where defense decides who wins...and, again, I like our chances.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/18/2006, 02:45 PM
our main advantage over texas has and will always be the early season scheduling.

The Consumate Showman
6/18/2006, 02:54 PM
I concur with jkm and oumartin. Texass should have won last year. I'll admit it, I wasn't confident at all last year when we went to Dallas. This year is much, MUCH different, though. What amazes me is that the Whorn fans CANNOT realize that AD only ran the ball 4 times for, what was it, 4 yards....and we had a red-shirt frosh QB in his, third ?, game. If we go back and look at these OU-UT games, there haven'e been just a hell of a lot of red-shirt frosh QB's to claim victory.

Anyway, on Oct. 7th, if AD is running at 100% and we have beat AFLAC, the whorns will be going down in Dallas, get used to that Bevo-AZZ....

Octavian
6/18/2006, 02:59 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about A&M's schedule.

Embarrassingly easy non-conference and only have to leave their home state twice.

Sep 2 Sat The Citadel (College Station)

Sep 9 Sat Louisiana-Lafayette (College Station)

Sep 16 Sat vs. Army (Alamodome)

Sep 23 Sat Louisiana Tech (College Station)

Sep 30 Sat Texas Tech * (College Station)

Oct 7 Sat @ Kansas * (Lawrence, Kan.)

Oct 14 Sat Missouri * (College Station)

Oct 21 Sat @ Oklahoma State * (Stillwater, Okla.)

Oct 28 Sat @ Baylor * (Waco)

Nov 4 Sat Oklahoma * (College Station)

Nov 11 Sat Nebraska * (College Station)

Nov 24 Fri @ Texas * (Austin, Texas)

With a little bit of luck they could be undefeated when we visit them in early November.

goingoneight
6/18/2006, 03:35 PM

Note his 2003 and 2004 season... And then read about the second coming... That's the Black Jesus rep. He had a great OL in 2005 and stood farther under center than most pocket passers, so I'm still not sold on his passing game yet. But I wasn't sold on Nate Hybl's either, and last I heard he was the only Stoops QB healthy enough to compete in the NFL. Surprises, surprises...

goingoneight
6/18/2006, 03:43 PM
it took Texas playing against a broken AD, rookie quarterback, make shift offensive line, very unexperienced secondary, & chuck long to beat OU last year.

Need I mention the No. 2 team in the country versus an unranked OU team??? A 4-0 team versus a 2-2 team??? I'll admit the only reason I went to the RRS last year was for support of a bruised Sooner team, but I will give no excuses to sloppy tackling and butter-fingered recievers and backs this season. You grab some, you miss some... but you don't let oppurtunity after oppurtunity after oppurtunity after oppurtunity to complete or intercept a ball. This problem slowed to nearly non-existent later in 2005 and the young players were truly the strengths of OUr team at the tail end of the season. We've seen just a hint of what this young crew can do, now under the Stoops eye, we've got Star-power in AD, and plenty of strength to back him up. I'll say aside the BIG OL ???, OU 2006 could either resemble the 2000 team, or the 2002 team. The 2002 team only because we only had a few "key" players who were like AD. Ones who cost us a BCS bowl in the event of their untimely exit (from the game).

goingoneight
6/18/2006, 03:57 PM
Newsflash.....it's gonna get worse for you after Oct. 7th. Learn to deal with it.

I can't imagine how listening to sore losers is gonna be worse than delusional whorns...

The Consumate Showman
6/18/2006, 09:02 PM
I can't imagine how listening to sore losers is gonna be worse than delusional whorns...

Git 'Em Eight!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

snp
6/18/2006, 10:48 PM
A&M OOC Schedule

While the rest of that schedule is a joke, I can't fault anyone for playing one of military schools. Those guys should play Hawaii, San Diego State, and every other cool school out there. If anyone deserves it, it's those dudes.

And what the hell is with The Citadel appearing everywhere? Do they have pictures of every AD naked with a 12 year old asian boy or what.

Newsflash.....baseless predictions aren't news.

Hella Sideburns
6/19/2006, 01:25 AM

Are you kidding me? Listening to "i know we lost by 50 points, but if we score that touchdown in the first quarter the game is totally different" over and over is inifinitely worse. Have you not been around here after our past RRS victories?

Octavian
6/19/2006, 01:53 AM
...I can't fault anyone for playing one of military schools. Those guys should play Hawaii, San Diego State, and every other cool school out there. If anyone deserves it, it's those dudes.

they have the best intelligence gathering abilities in the world....they can fish out a jihadi radical in a rat-hole from thousands of miles away...

surely they got the memo that neither College Station or San Antonio is some exotic resort.

Aggy filled out a schedule that'd make Bill Snyder blush.

Sooner in Tampa
6/19/2006, 06:13 AM
The posts over here concerning this year's Texas-ou game are getting beyond ridiculous. The one on the other thread about being excited because, Texas is apparently "losing everyone on Defense and their entire offensive line," takes the cake however. Texas 27-ou 10. Have a good one.

Heres an idea...GO THE F**K AWAY if you find our posts so ridiculous!!!! It is OUr board afterall...uterasfan!

Tear Down This Wall
6/19/2006, 09:47 AM
Sam Houston State? What...Abilene Christian wasn't available?

Soonerman08
6/19/2006, 12:38 PM
Need I mention the No. 2 team in the country versus an unranked OU team??? A 4-0 team versus a 2-2 team??? I'll admit the only reason I went to the RRS last year was for support of a bruised Sooner team, but I will give no excuses to sloppy tackling and butter-fingered recievers and backs this season. You grab some, you miss some... but you don't let oppurtunity after oppurtunity after oppurtunity after oppurtunity to complete or intercept a ball. This problem slowed to nearly non-existent later in 2005 and the young players were truly the strengths of OUr team at the tail end of the season. We've seen just a hint of what this young crew can do, now under the Stoops eye, we've got Star-power in AD, and plenty of strength to back him up. I'll say aside the BIG OL ???, OU 2006 could either resemble the 2000 team, or the 2002 team. The 2002 team only because we only had a few "key" players who were like AD. Ones who cost us a BCS bowl in the event of their untimely exit (from the game).

Ones who cost us a BCS bowl???? We won the Rose Bowl that season.

WestAustinSooner
6/19/2006, 02:51 PM
BevoStevo:

Don't think their are too many experts picking Texas to win Oct. 7. If you think Texas will score 27 points on our defense with a freshman quarterback (is Jammal Charles invisible?) then you are dumber than a box of rocks.

Six out of the last eight to OU? You're going to need some Vagisil!

Luthor
6/19/2006, 03:21 PM

And it will take Texas playing against a healthy AD who will have to carry the ball 55 times, a QB who thinks he's a MLB, a still make-shift OL, a defensive backfield with virtually the same players as last year, & a brand new OC to beat OU this year.

The Consumate Showman
6/19/2006, 06:08 PM
And it will take Texas playing against a healthy AD who will have to carry the ball 55 times, a QB who thinks he's a MLB, a still make-shift OL, a defensive backfield with virtually the same players as last year, & a brand new OC to beat OU this year.

Well let's see:

UT can't stop AD at 100%, Bomar MLB?, we've got four games to work out the kinks in our new and much improved OL, prepare to meet UT's new nightmare on D, Reggie Smith, and KW did a pretty good job in the HB I thought......:) ;) :P

Bevo-Stevo
6/19/2006, 06:45 PM
our new and much improved OL

This is a joke, right? If not, thank you for proving my point from my earlier post.

MiccoMacey
6/19/2006, 09:26 PM
Uhmmm, they will be new and improved compared to the ones you saw last year.

We don't have our two proven stars, but overall we've got more people with more real game time and experience coming back than we did October of last year.

The Consumate Showman
6/19/2006, 10:36 PM
This is a joke, right? If not, thank you for proving my point from my earlier post.

That's right retard. We have Chris Messner who will anchor our OL this year, Jon Cooper at center who, if he hadn't broke his ankle @ Tech, would have started for about half the season last year, Braxton who has size, ability, and a lot of game time from last year, Dukezilla- ditto with Braxton, JD Quinn who started several games last year, Brian Simmons, possibly the next Jammal Brown type converted OL for us (if he's not hurt that bad), and about 5 more that could contribute as well (2 JUCO). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we'll be a top 5 OL unit, but don't put us out of the top 15. You never know Bevo-Breath, UT might get into some trouble after tOsU roughs your guys around this year.

Here's my point, we could have a great OL this year and you guys could have a sucky one. Injuries, injuries, injuries.......you just never know......

RooseveltRoughRider
6/19/2006, 10:59 PM
While the rest of that schedule is a joke, I can't fault anyone for playing one of military schools. Those guys should play Hawaii, San Diego State, and every other cool school out there. If anyone deserves it, it's those dudes..

Those Cadets have not done anything yet..and technically they are not even in the military yet. And when they DO become a part of the REAL military they will be Officers...they havent earned anything yet in my opinion. They are livin' the good life right now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/20/2006, 12:42 AM
with regard to our OL, some have drank the koolaid and think it will be awesome, while others (read fans of other schools) think its going to be a bloodbath. the truth as it unfolds this season will be somewhere in the middle.

in the OU spread offense, it isn't necessary to have a solidified, talented OL to succeed. in the I, however, it is.

next year, i see us as a mediocre I team with big play ability. pokey state would be a great example of what i mean by this. its either 3 and out or take it to the house, but nothing sustained. this puts a ton of pressure on your defense as a premium is put on field position.

where the big improvement might lie is in the spread. as the effectiveness of this offense is based on a ton of factors of which the OL is a small part. factors like WR route running, WR YAC, selling misdirection, speed and quality of QB decision making, winning the 1 on 1 running back matchups play just as much of a factor in determining the success of the offense. most of these factors i see trending up with the biggest question mark being whether peterson can become a spread back.

bs you say? lets look at recent history. in 2001, we had a veteran OL that was decimated by injuries forcing a ton of freshman into the lineup. our offense was anemic as crap because of poor WR play, slow decision making, a bad OL, etc. this was even more apparent when the field shrank. however, that O showed flashes when the QB decision making improved under white.

in 2002, we started a much, much younger OL but were 10x more effective as an offense. we almost had a 2000 yard rusher and this with mark clayton hobbled with a knee injury most of the year. what was the difference? scheme, decision making, and WR play - all improved...

snp
6/20/2006, 01:09 AM
Those Cadets have not done anything yet..and technically they are not even in the military yet. And when they DO become a part of the REAL military they will be Officers...they havent earned anything yet in my opinion. They are livin' the good life right now.

:rolleyes: Anyone who forgoes the best 4-5 best years of their life in order to get their butts kicked for 4 years, and then go and join up with the military gets mucho respect.

Living the good life, yea. You ever talked to a cadet? They'd much rather be at a state school.

SleestakSooner
6/20/2006, 02:24 AM
As we used to say in the Navy... "Don't call me sir! I work for a living!"

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2006, 04:08 AM
Do you want to know what the coolest thing about horn fans is? Me too, so if you have any ideas send them to me because everytime i think of horns the only thing that comes to mind is Uber ******s.

Soonerwolf
6/20/2006, 06:35 AM

Last year on offense it was Bomar minus AD facing a very good defense. This year, it is your freshman (true or RS) vs. a very good OU defense. Let's see if UT can score in double digits, much less actually dream of a lopsided victory.

We have Stoops, you have a VY-less Brown. You deal with it !!!!!

RooseveltRoughRider
6/20/2006, 08:50 AM
As we used to say in the Navy... "Don't call me sir! I work for a living!"
My thoughts exactly...we say the same thing in the Army. They are giving up the best 4 or 5 years of their lives so they can spend a career watching enlisted soldiers work..lol

And yes I have talked to a cadet, when I was at Fort Hood we used to go to West Point and train them for 2 weeks. Contrary to popular belief a Cadet had no authority and is lower than the lowest private..that is until they get their butter bars after graduation.

1stTimeCaller
6/20/2006, 09:13 AM
My thoughts exactly...we say the same thing in the Army. They are giving up the best 4 or 5 years of their lives so they can spend a career watching enlisted soldiers work..lol

And yes I have talked to a cadet, when I was at Fort Hood we used to go to West Point and train them for 2 weeks. Contrary to popular belief a Cadet had no authority and is lower than the lowest private..that is until they get their butter bars after graduation.

Simply not true. Most cadets are placed into Platoon Leader positions during training with active units inbetween their Jr and Sr. years. A Platoon Leader always has more authority than the Platoon Sergeant.

anyhoo, this discussion isn't for the football board.

RedstickSooner
6/20/2006, 10:35 AM
A Platoon Leader always has more authority than the Platoon Sergeant.

True, but the Sergeant usually knows what he's doing :D

anyhoo, this discussion isn't for the football board.

Good point, tho' the offseason does seem to breed these trainwreck esoteric arguments, for whatever reason. At this point I long for summer scrimmage reports -- which is kinda sad.

goingoneight
6/20/2006, 10:53 AM
Ones who cost us a BCS bowl???? We won the Rose Bowl that season.

That was a "what if" reference... Surely you understand the difference between a healthy AD and an injured AD makes for a team. Note: the "key players" part... I know we went to the Rose Bowl... I almost got to go if that means anything... The point, as stated above is key players, in the event of their injury/loss, can cost us a BCS Bowl.

Sooner95
6/20/2006, 11:18 AM
I'll agree with others here, I knew we wouldnt do well against Texass last yr, we simply just were not very good. Texass was loaded, and playing well, kudos to them ect..I was happy having whooped their asses 5 yrs straight.

This yr? Well, I for one am Not sold on Bohmar yet. Depending on who you talk to, or read...he is either the 2nd coming or will be avg at best. Going to depend alot on this kid. He hasn't exactly gotten off to a great start off-field wise. With the OL and AD in the backfield tho, his job could not be easier. If he can't get it done, then he sux.

In comparing the 2 teams schedules leading up to the big game, We will know how good the Sooners are by then. Couple of PAC10 games, Huskies and road game at Oregon will prove to be good tests. We could be 4-0 after them, but its going to depend on Bohmar and how well he runs that offense. AD cannot do it alone.

Looking at Tex schedule, N Tex, Rice and Sam Houston..hard to get much weaker than that..plus ISU, to open conf play for them, would have to do a little research on them. I do not see Texass beating Ohio st...noway. That team will not forget last yr, and are much better.

Its really hard to predict what will happen, cuz as we ALL know, this series has given us some great games when one of the teas was horrible. And blowouts when it was supposed to be good.

Right now, I will take the Sooners, Texass has simply lost alot, will they rebuild by then? we shall see..

TexasLidig8r
6/20/2006, 11:43 AM
I do not see Texass beating Ohio st...noway. That team will not forget last yr, and are much better.

Its really hard to predict what will happen, cuz as we ALL know, this series has given us some great games when one of the teams was horrible. And blowouts when it was supposed to be good.

Many good points except the Ohio State point. OSU (the real not the Whataburger costume wearin' pretenders) lost 9 of 11 starters including their entire linebacking trio who were all drafted very highly. They lost a big playmaker on offense (the domestic abuser, Santonio Holmes) and Texas contained Ginn, Jr. last year.

IF OSU is better, it will be more toward the end of the year. I like our chances against the real OSU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/20/2006, 12:10 PM
They lost a big playmaker on offense (the domestic abuser, Santonio Holmes) and Texas contained Ginn, Jr. last year.

yeah, but this is a contract year for ginn ;)

Herr Scholz
6/20/2006, 12:11 PM
With the OL and AD in the backfield tho, his job could not be easier. If he can't get it done, then he sux.
Some would say your OL might still not protect him very well.

I do not see Texass beating Ohio st...noway. That team will not forget last yr, and are much better.
No, they're not much better. You don't lose your whole defense, including the entire starting backfield and LB corp, and start a bunch of bunch of Freshmen and get better. However, if they win in Austin, they'll be in the Fiesta Bowl. They get Michigan and Penn St. in Columbus.

Right now, I will take the Sooners, Texass has simply lost alot, will they rebuild by then? we shall see..
14 returning starters is a pretty solid foundation for the team if you ask me. OU has just as many question marks as Texas (safety, OL and QB still).

OUstud
6/20/2006, 12:33 PM
All I know is that there better be no damn puke orange on OU's side this year. Anyone who sold their tickets because we weren't any good to Whorn should have their ticket privileges revoked.