PDA

View Full Version : ISO SQL tut

oupride
6/17/2006, 11:45 PM
Not sure where to ask about SQL. Thought this would be best to try here. I want to learn SQL this summer and my time is limited as I am working 2 jobs. What is the most expediant and efficient way to learn it? Can anyone recommend a method or tutorial online? Thank you in advance.

Vaevictis
6/17/2006, 11:51 PM
Go download posgresql (better standards compliance) or mysql (more widely used). Read documentation. Apply.

You might also consider downloading the developer version of oracle, but it's *much* heavier-weight than those two, and you're likely to spend more time learning Oracle than SQL compared to posgresql or mysql. (not that this is a bad thing, but you probably want to start by learning SQL first)

sooner n houston
6/17/2006, 11:51 PM
I had to learn it last summer for my job. Just do a search for "sql tutorial" or "learn SQL". Lots of good stuff out there.

Al Gore
6/17/2006, 11:53 PM
Have you tried hookers????

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2006, 11:54 PM
What exactly is SQL? has to do with databases right?

Vaevictis
6/17/2006, 11:55 PM
I would also comment that if you're running Windows, you might want to skip posgresql, as in my experience MySQL has better win32 support.

But read the documentation at both sites; they both have pretty good documentation that will get you started, and one will sometimes cover a topic better than the other.

Vaevictis
6/17/2006, 11:58 PM
What exactly is SQL? has to do with databases right?

It's essentially a standardized language for managing and retreiving data within databases.

In theory, if you write standards compliant SQL, you can swap out SQL compliant databases -- Oracle, MS SQL, Infobase, MySQL, PosgreSQL, etc -- transparently.

At the lower levels, it's very similar to english and very inuitive.

SELECT column1_data FROM table_name WHERE column2_data = 'VALUE';

Pretty straight forward.

oupride
6/18/2006, 11:34 PM
I wanted to say thank you all for the great info you gave to me. BOOMER SOONER!!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/19/2006, 12:22 AM
the easiest and cheapest way is to download sql server express and winsql...