PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks and patriotism

Widescreen
6/17/2006, 02:49 PM
"The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism," Maines resumes, through gritted teeth. "Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country… I don't see why people care about patriotism."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/06/15/bmdixie15.xml

She can leave now. Permanently. :mad:

Cue the anti-american apologists...

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2006, 02:55 PM
Well, say what you will about being against the war. I don't mind someone who is, but she should have known that her audience wasn't exactly going to welcome those comments.

This, however, is flat out over the line in my book. She is DEAD to me.

I know a relative of hers in Texas pretty well, and he doesn't come right out and air his family's dirty laundry with me or anyone else but you get the impression from talking to him that she's definitely NOT in her family's good graces.

mdklatt
6/17/2006, 02:59 PM
she should have known that her audience wasn't exactly going to welcome those comments

Seriously. I guess she's trying to appeal to all three of her fans in France. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

mdklatt
6/17/2006, 03:02 PM
Early concerns about the premature demise of the Chicks' career subsided when the furiously unapologetic single Not Ready to Make Nice became the most downloaded track on iTunes, despite a lack of radio airplay. Then the album went to number one on the Billboard 200 after selling half a million copies in the week after its release in America last month. It looks set to be their first UK top 10 album this Sunday.

Maybe she knows what she's doing after all....

NYSooner1355
6/17/2006, 03:02 PM
she sounds like an idiot...but I also didn't read the whole thing

the only thing I can think of is she is mistaking Patriotism with Nationalism,

what is ironic to me is that now both times she has made her comments/actions out of the country (or to a European country or entity)

NYSooner1355
6/17/2006, 03:03 PM
Maybe she knows what she's doing after all....

yeah, didn't think of that...maybe it is the Ann Coulter-method of advertising your product

mdklatt
6/17/2006, 03:08 PM
what is ironic to me is that now both times she has made her comments/actions out of the country (or to a European country or entity)

That's not irony, that's marketing.

Octavian
6/17/2006, 03:14 PM
You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country...

XTR hates Tulsa.

Prolly likes the Dixie Chicks too.

and soccer.

BoomerJack
6/17/2006, 04:05 PM
That comment evokes memories of the line that Karl Malden as Omar Bradley said to George C. Scott as George Patton in "Patton": "George, you just don't know when to shut up!"

I guess they're hoping that it will induce C&W fans to stage more Dixie Chicks CD burning rallies as long as the participants pay full retail for the discs.

VeeJay
6/17/2006, 05:25 PM
Regardless of the hatred, Natalie is just another'n in a long line of celebrities who feel self important enough to spout their controversial views. It's expected. No big deal. The thing that's unusual is the hatred for American patriotism usually doesn't come from the ranks of country music.

I suppose she's decided there's around 40% of the population that's with her on the I Hate Bush bandwagon, so there's the likelihood that 40% are gonna be instant fans, regardless of whether they've ever listened to country music or not. She's rolling the dice.

Maybe The Chicks can get the "God Hates Fags" folks to tour with them.

soonerscuba
6/17/2006, 05:37 PM
Regardless of the hatred, Natalie is just another'n in a long line of celebrities who feel self important enough to spout their controversial views.

Uh, questioning the Iraq war is far from controversial, in fact it is down right mainstream at this point. It is a slippery slope that she should have kept quiet. Nationalism and Patriotism are called by prospective. I love America, but I am not proud of it by default. I did not choose to be a citizen, I would say be proud of it's accomplishments, but being proud of the entity simply because you were lucky enough to be born there is kinda stupid in my opinion.

BudSooner
6/17/2006, 05:49 PM
Hey Natalie....those people from Lane Bryant called and said to get your *** back to work. :D

Widescreen
6/17/2006, 07:22 PM
Uh, questioning the Iraq war is far from controversial, in fact it is down right mainstream at this point. It is a slippery slope that she should have kept quiet. Nationalism and Patriotism are called by prospective. I love America, but I am not proud of it by default. I did not choose to be a citizen, I would say be proud of it's accomplishments, but being proud of the entity simply because you were lucky enough to be born there is kinda stupid in my opinion.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apologist #1. Who's next?

soonerscuba
6/17/2006, 07:34 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apologist #1. Who's next?

If by apologist, you mean pro 1st amendment, then yes. FWIW, I could give two ****s about the Dixie Chicks, I just like watching f'in hillbillies get all up in arms about it.

Widescreen
6/17/2006, 08:33 PM
I'm pro 1st amendment too. But it works both ways. She can spew her crap about our country and I can tell her to go stick it up her arse and find somewhere else to live. I suspect that you find patriotism stupid too, which is your right.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2006, 09:40 PM
Nataline Maines is short, fat, and ugly; however, the 2 sisters are pretty HAWT!! :twinkies: :twinkies:

Octavian
6/18/2006, 12:16 AM
you're only a real patriot if you put an American flag on your back car window after 9/11.

the other pinkos hate Jesus and puppies.

Widescreen
6/18/2006, 01:04 AM
you're only a real patriot if you put an American flag on your back car window after 9/11.

the other pinkos hate Jesus and puppies.
Glad to see you've come to your senses.

;)

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:09 AM
I don't see why people care about patriotism.

Yeah, I can't imagine why Americans would be patriotic 5 years after being attacked and in the middle of a war. Can't f'kn understand this at all.

XingTheRubicon
6/18/2006, 01:14 AM
XTR hates Tulsa.

Prolly likes the Dixie Chicks too.

and soccer.

Incorrect on every point.

Scott D
6/18/2006, 01:16 AM
I'm trying to remember when I've cared what Natalie Maines has had to say....oh that's right, never. Boy you dirty libz and dirty neos need to get some thicker skin ;)

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine why Americans would be patriotic 5 years after being attacked and in the middle of a war. Can't f'kn understand this at all.

Americans should be patriotic.

Republican politicians who constantly say "we" should STFU.

But they won't. The flag is under attack.....like Christmas.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:19 AM
Incorrect on every point.

dood...I dont wanna none of you.....

I saw how poor 1TC got abused and I'm not about to get an Oklahoma City map pulled out on me during a victory celebration ;)

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:21 AM
Americans should be patriotic.

Republican politicians who constantly say "we" should STFU.

But they won't. The flag is under attack.....like Christmas.

Its only under attack by people like you, and the people we are fighting overseas.

Not good company IMO.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/47072.jpg

SoonerBorn68
6/18/2006, 01:25 AM
I kinda like Dixin Chicks. I'll bet you're all gay. ;)

XingTheRubicon
6/18/2006, 01:32 AM
dood...I dont wanna none of you.....

I saw how poor 1TC got abused and I'm not about to get an Oklahoma City map pulled out on me during a victory celebration ;)

All in good fun, some get their panties in a wad.

However, as far as the Dixie Chicks are concerned, NM needs to quit while she's behind. I thought it was kinda sad how she got attacked by some after her first dumb*ss remark, but this latest one is just plain idiocy.

I wish her publicist would remind her that she is a chubby, skank entertainer.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:36 AM
Its only under attack by people like you, and the people we are fighting overseas.

Not good company IMO.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/47072.jpg

"under attack" by "people like me"....

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7812/fox3fv.png (http://imageshack.us)

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:43 AM
Nice fark. Of course its not an actual photo like I provided, but the real world is hard to see for some I guess.

Always fun to see a leftist start with the facist comments. Its so ironic, yet fun at the same time.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:44 AM
....it was kinda sad how she got attacked by some after her first dumb*ss remark, but this latest one is just plain idiocy...

agreed.

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:46 AM
All in good fun, some get their panties in a wad.

However, as far as the Dixie Chicks are concerned, NM needs to quit while she's behind. I thought it was kinda sad how she got attacked by some after her first dumb*ss remark, but this latest one is just plain idiocy.

I wish her publicist would remind her that she is a chubby, skank entertainer.

Don't start putting down Oct's hero, you might just get called a nazi!

;)

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:46 AM
Always fun to see a leftist start with the facist comments. Its so ironic, yet fun at the same time.

I hate Christmas and Easter.

but not black or poor people.

be scared.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 01:50 AM
....Oct's hero...

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8791/reagan30vg.gif (http://imageshack.us)

SoonerBorn68
6/18/2006, 01:50 AM

be scared.

Well, that made my list a little shorter this year. :D

...and clear out your PM's. :mad:

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:51 AM

be scared.

The unborn blacks and poor people are, no doubt.

Yet the terrorists are cheering...

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2006, 01:55 AM
If you two weren't serious this would be pure comedy. ;)
I'm having trouble choosing sides.

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 01:57 AM
Just sit back and let it happen Sic, just let it happen.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 02:00 AM
...and clear out your PM's. :mad:

done. ;)

...the terrorists are cheering...

if I was a good patriot like you maybe I'd understand half the junk you spew...

Octavian
6/18/2006, 02:02 AM
Just sit back and let it happen Sic, just let it happen.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3862/flanders37qb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 02:08 AM
done. ;)

if I was a good patriot like you maybe I'd understand half the junk you spew...

I'll use fewer large words for you then.

Octavian
6/18/2006, 02:12 AM
I'll use fewer large words...

that's rich.

SoonerBorn68
6/18/2006, 02:15 AM
that's rich.

Then you'd hate it. :D

OklahomaTuba
6/18/2006, 02:18 AM
Well, only nazis are rich, and use large words. ;)

Octavian
6/18/2006, 02:19 AM
Then you'd hate it. :D

okay...that was funny.

wrong and misguided....but funny.