PDA

View Full Version : I golfed for the first time in my life yesterday

usmc-sooner
6/17/2006, 12:34 PM
I shot 70 over 9 holes. I was wondering how much it would cost to get a my clubs and bag and all the stuff to keep playing. The stuff in the clubhouse was pretty expensive.

Really all I used was a driver, a 3 wood, a P wedge and a putter. I had fun. I played with a guy who golfed in college and he was trying to help me when he wasn't laughing. I think I like this game.

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2006, 12:40 PM
You're screwed dude. You will dump stupid sums of money into chasing that little white ball. Go to a consignment shop or a used golf club dealer. There are good deals to be had.

Where do you live?

Cam
6/17/2006, 12:46 PM
No kidding man, you are in trouble.

Ask your buddies if they've got any extra clubs. Golfsmith and TGW.com have used clubs for sale. I'd check into getting those and taking some lessons.

Jimminy Crimson
6/17/2006, 12:59 PM
If this is your first go at golf, I suggest going to Golfsmith or Edwin Watts or Golf Galaxy or TGW or Play it Again Sports and getting a set of nice used clubs. Much better quality than a new set of cheap clubs.

Also, you can get some nice full sets at estate sales in ritzy titsy areas for not too much. :O

Before you start golfing too much and developing a swing. Get at least a 30 min lesson so you can get a proper motion going before you go to the range and develop any bad habits. heh.

One more thing, buy X-OUT balls! :D

BoogercountySooner
6/17/2006, 01:04 PM
Fore!!:D

Cam
6/17/2006, 01:07 PM
Rock Bottom Golf (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/irons-ironsets.html) has some pretty darn good prices on full sets.

King Crimson
6/17/2006, 01:12 PM
agreed with others above, a playable set of starter clubs can be had for not too much these days.

and remember: grip, alignment, posture, swing plane. and PRACTICE your short game and putting.

Newbomb Turk
6/17/2006, 01:12 PM
I agree with what the other guys are saying. I'd buy decent used clubs.

I've never had a lesson in my life, but I would suggest one for someone just starting.

Newbomb Turk
6/17/2006, 01:14 PM
PRACTICE your short game and putting.

No doubt there. Everyone goes to the range and hammers away with the driver. About 6-7 years ago, I spent a bunch of time just practicing with a couple wedges and a shag bag. Really lowered my scores.

King Crimson
6/17/2006, 01:18 PM
No doubt there. Everyone goes to the range and hammers away with the driver. About 6-7 years ago, I spent a bunch of time just practicing with a couple wedges and a shag bag. Really lowered my scores.

the other thing is it's FREE 99% of the time. when you buy a bucket/bag of range balls take em to the chipping area/practice green and use em a couple times before going over to the practice tee Golf is expensive as it is.....use yer brain.

and practicing sand shots is key. most average players spend their whole life in fear of bunkers...and a little practice is all you need to be adequate.

fadada1
6/17/2006, 02:39 PM
best advice:

take 2 weeks off, then quit.

i'm in it for life, i'm afraid. it's a viscious, hateful game... and i love it.

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2006, 02:57 PM
I miss playing golf. I sucked at it like you wouldn't believe, but there's something soooo dmaned relaxing about being out there on the course all day with a good cigar and being chased down by the beer wagon girls.

fadada1
6/17/2006, 03:00 PM
...and being chased down by the beer wagon girls.i think you're confusing "chased down" with "escaping from":D

King Crimson
6/17/2006, 03:00 PM
best advice:

take 2 weeks off, then quit.

i'm in it for life, i'm afraid. it's a viscious, hateful game... and i love it.

i tried to quit in high school after the OK 5A state tournament. there are other things you should be worrying about when yer 18....not swing plane and mechanics.

didn't work.

fadada1
6/17/2006, 03:38 PM
i tried to quit in high school after the OK 5A state tournament. there are other things you should be worrying about when yer 18....not swing plane and mechanics.

didn't work.
i quit for about 1 1/2 years during my navy stint. eventually it comes back and haunts you.

King Crimson
6/17/2006, 04:10 PM
i quit for about 1 1/2 years during my navy stint. eventually it comes back and haunts you.

i didn't play for 2 years and played with my dad at Jimmie Austin and i was 2 under after 3. ended up shooting about 80 but that was that.

usmc-sooner
6/17/2006, 04:13 PM
well I was on my way to shooting a 140 if we had gone 18 holes.

swardboy
6/17/2006, 04:15 PM
Just remember this little stat: 90% of your shots will be within 100 yards of the green....don't go for length.

walkoffsooner
6/17/2006, 08:35 PM
It's like trying meth once.I think

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2006, 09:22 PM
i didn't play for 2 years and played with my dad at Jimmie Austin and i was 2 under after 3. ended up shooting about 80 but that was that.

That's how it re-hooks ya. I didn't play for 6 months, then shot an 89 at Cowboys in Grapevine. Haven't sniffed 89 since. :O

SoonerObsession
6/17/2006, 10:38 PM
I'm excited for you USMC-Sooner. It's a great game that you can never learn to appreciate till you've played it a while. I started when I was 15 and never played competitively, but I have learned on my own to play pretty well. If you truly give this sport a try, the small improvements you make from week to week will keep you hungry for more. You will have trouble sleeping some nights because you will be thinking about a new tip you just learned and how you can't wait to practice it. In the beginning all it takes is one sound swing improvement to help you gain 10-12 strokes. Then a little later on you will learn something else that improves your game another 5 strokes. From time to time you will regress and become frustrated, but stick with it and you will love the process. It's kind of tough to make great improvements when you get to the stage where I'm at. I'm able to shoot in the 70's, with some bad days still in the low 80's. But I have reached the point where the only thing that will help me break 70 is more golf. I can't afford more golf. I'm lucky if I get to play 2 or 3 times a month. I work two jobs so time is an issue as well. But I still love this game and hopefully when I retire I might be able to play more and maybe I can shoot that 69 I've always dreamed of. My best advice to you is swing with good tempo and hit the ball in the center of the club face. Don't swing hard until you are able to do this with regularity. A slow swing that makes center contact is going to benefit you better than vein-popping hack that is off center of the club face.