PDA

View Full Version : The OBNDD...

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 10:53 AM
...is making life impossible for Oklahoma dentists. I dont know if they are doing the same to the Oklahoma physicians, but would like to hear from you guys on this board. According to the letter we recieved today in the mail, some Oklahoma politician, with way too much time on his hands, introduced and got passed, a new law; no doubt to get himself some campaign funds.

I realize that we have had a drug problem since the beginning of time but to expect dentists to police the problem or face serious and possible career ending sanctions if one druggie is missed, is totally ridiculous.

So now, along with having to deal with some uneducated power loving, anti-Christ of a Dental Board director, Oklahoma dentists now have to check a "secured website" that the Oklahoma Board of Narcotics will provide on each and every patient on a monthly basis before they can write a lousy perscription.

The economy is so bad in Oklahoma that the university really should take a hint from other states who have closed their dental schools because they have way too many dentists in their state. We have almost twice as many as we need per capita, so its hard enough for them to make a living here in that field. Its really getting to the point of making it too time consuming and financially straining to practice here in Oklahoma.

It looks as if we may have to move. We are already staying open 9.5 hours which is an extra hour for us, just to meet the rising taxes. We cant stay open any longer than that to do drug taking research, and we sure as heck cant afford anymore help.

StoopTroup
6/17/2006, 10:55 AM
Money isn't everything. ;)

Mom...how in the heck are the new ones making it?

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 10:57 AM
Money isn't everything. ;)

Mom...how in the heck are the new ones making it?

Money is everything when you have bills to pay and mouths to feed. We have so many fellow Sooner dentists who are moving out of state. Tons of people we know left years ago. Theres only about 10% of Mikes class, which was 34 students who are still left here in Oklahoma. The university is graduating alot more per year now. Boren has to have that money.

They arent, unless they have a dentist relative who can afford to retire, with a practice they can take over.

OUDoc
6/17/2006, 11:09 AM
I was told by OBNDD's chief agent last month that the website (at least the one he told us about) was a database of people who've filled narcotics prescriptions. That way you can check to see if someone suspicious is getting narcotics from more than one doctor at a time. He never mentioned that you had to check it everytime. Nor that it was up and running just yet.

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 11:28 AM
I was told by OBNDD's chief agent last month that the website (at least the one he told us about) was a database of people who've filled narcotics prescriptions. That way you can check to see if someone suspicious is getting narcotics from more than one doctor at a time. He never mentioned that you had to check it every time. Nor that it was up and running just yet.The dental board is telling dentists that they could face serious sanctions if they write a prescription to someone who just got a prescription. According to our office neighbor, who use to be on the board, a dentist is now expected to research and to know if the person who they just treated was given narcotic medication that month for whatever reason. The Medical Board is not as vile as the Dental Board, because the powers that be for physicians are adequately educated to make judgments. The person running the dental board over compensates for her lack of education by attacking gnat-like crap with baseball bats to make herself look important. The actual board only meets a few days a year so she is not monitored. I guarantee, shes loving this news, so she has more ammunition to attack with. She may of even paid a lobbyist to help get it passed.

What if a person was told he needed a root canal and was given medication he never took for whatever reason? Two days later, this fellow wants an anonymous second opinion, thinking he may just need a filling, so he makes an appointment with another clinic. The opinion may not be so anonymous if dentist #2's staff looks him up and sees that he was just over at the golfing buddies clinic two days ago and was got some Tylenol c Codeine. Here goes his right to a completely unbias second opinion if dentist #2 calls his or her pal across the street.

StoopTroup
6/17/2006, 11:28 AM
Money is everything when you have bills to pay and mouths to feed. We have so many fellow Sooner dentists who are moving out of state. Tons of people we know left years ago. Theres only about 10% of Mikes class, which was 34 students who are still left here in Oklahoma. The university is graduating alot more per year now. Boren has to have that money.

They arent, unless they have a dentist relative who can afford to retire, with a practice they can take over.
Easy Mom...

I was just kidding about the money...lol.

I have a BIL who quit Med School pretty much over the same problems.

To be a Doctor or a Dentist...your going to have to incur some huge long term debt. By the time your out of debt...life will have you back in debt again...

So...

Money isn't everything. You have to enjoy what you do. The real question is...would you do what you do each day even if you had to take the bus to get to your own business? The small town Docs and Dentists must really feel it.

I decided long ago to stay away from the Medical Field as the future seemed to hold many of the problems you are describing. I feel your pain. I really do. I just hate to think that we have to close our schools in order to fix what is wrong.

Politicians suck.

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 12:03 PM
Easy Mom...

I was just kidding about the money...lol.

I have a BIL who quit Med School pretty much over the same problems.

To be a Doctor or a Dentist...your going to have to incur some huge long term debt. By the time your out of debt...life will have you back in debt again...

So...

Money isn't everything. You have to enjoy what you do. The real question is...would you do what you do each day even if you had to take the bus to get to your own business? The small town Docs and Dentists must really feel it.

I decided long ago to stay away from the Medical Field as the future seemed to hold many of the problems you are describing. I feel your pain. I really do. I just hate to think that we have to close our schools in order to fix what is wrong.

Politicians suck.I knew you were kidding. I'm just pouting. :)

My husband really does love what he does. He wanted to be a dentist since he was a little boy and use to hang out at ole Doc Bensons for many years when he was growing up. He slept in a truck most nights working the oil fields in the summer and during school vacations to pay for dental school. I waited tables at the Mont and cleaned Norman office buildings at night to help pay for some of our books, tuition and living expenses. It still took us 3 years to pay my student loan off and an additional 12 years to pay off his student loan.

He would be a dentist even if he had to take the bus, but the cost involved is so much more that we ever imagined. Its just that each year it takes a bigger percentage than before, and now this. We just dont have any extra time to be drug agents. We may have to do like many others and pack up and leave Oklahoma for Nevada or Arizona, where the dental business is thriving. That really sucks because I would really miss Owen Field...and some of my kids.

BajaOklahoma
6/17/2006, 12:05 PM
Question though, is the site going to say how much of what was picked up?
If I get 10 Vicodin vs 20 or 30 on the first of the month, that would make a difference in what you would be willing to write. Also, what about the person who gets 30 tabs at the end of the motnh, is it going to show the previous month too?
What about Oncology patients? Do they get a special notation on their file?
What about the patient who has a reaction to one Rx? Can you note that on the website?
Does the site keep a record of your checking on a patient?

It's not a bad idea though for both physicians and dentists. Could we add in the pharmacists too?

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 12:13 PM
Question though, is the site going to say how much of what was picked up?
If I get 10 Vicodin vs 20 or 30 on the first of the month, that would make a difference in what you would be willing to write. Also, what about the person who gets 30 tabs at the end of the motnh, is it going to show the previous month too?
What about Oncology patients? Do they get a special notation on their file?
What about the patient who has a reaction to one Rx? Can you note that on the website?
Does the site keep a record of your checking on a patient?

It's not a bad idea though for both physicians and dentists. Could we add in the pharmacists too?

It will be an ongoing record, and yes it will say how much medication was picked up. You will be able, and if you are a dentist, be expected, to search for information dating back for however long the record on a citizen/patient has been documented. From what I understand, the information is obtained from pharmacy records.

Whether the person has a chronic condition or not will not be on the record, so if they want to keep the specifics private...then oh well, tough luck. The dentist and whoever else may need a full explanation as to why they are on whatever major meds. Just saying that they take them wont be good enough anymore if they want a prescription for say like...having their wisdom teeth cut out.

yermom
6/17/2006, 04:19 PM
why not just put this at the source of the drugs?

if they are checking pharmacy records you could just go to like 3 dentists in the same day, then go to 3 different pharmacies

1stTimeCaller
6/17/2006, 04:38 PM
What about suing the Board or the State on the basis of the 'unfunded mandate' that the State's get all riled up about when the Fed Gov't passes new legislation? I'm not an attorney but I watched Boston Legal a few months ago...

StoopTroup
6/17/2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Mom...

My teeth hurt.

Can I get a script of Loritab? ;)

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Mom...

My teeth hurt.

Can I get a script of Loritab? ;)Wouldnt you rather have my home made spaghetti dinner and some nice cold Murphy's Stout? :D

MamaMia
6/17/2006, 05:55 PM
What about suing the Board or the State on the basis of the 'unfunded mandate' that the State's get all riled up about when the Fed Gov't passes new legislation? I'm not an attorney but I watched Boston Legal a few months ago...I'd be game...........after we move. :P

Okla-homey
6/17/2006, 06:07 PM
That's our legislature for you. Smiting a gnat with a sledgehammer. I would imagine 'drugseekers' don't go to dentists for their drug of choice.