PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bowl Question

MamaMia
6/16/2006, 07:36 PM
Is it going to be televised, and if so, when?

RooseveltRoughRider
6/16/2006, 09:45 PM
I doubt it...It's not very popular in Texas. Very few of the top Texas prospects even play in it.

Sooner24
6/16/2006, 10:13 PM
Tomorrow will be my 25th or so Oil Bowl.

Big Red Ron
6/16/2006, 10:18 PM
Tomorrow will be my 25th or so Oil Bowl.Time to change your screen name? ;)

Big Red Ron
6/16/2006, 10:18 PM
I doubt it...It's not very popular in Texas. Very few of the top Texas prospects even play in it.:rolleyes:

Sooner24
6/16/2006, 10:32 PM
Sooner25thorso........................Hmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm................kinda catchy.

:D

swardboy
6/17/2006, 06:45 AM
I miss ou63ut134inarow, who became ou64ut145inarow, who became sapulpasooner....or something like that.

Texas Golfer
6/17/2006, 09:05 AM
Huh?;)

AllAboutThe'O'
6/18/2006, 09:57 PM
Tomorrow will be my 25th or so Oil Bowl.
The only Oil Bowl I attended was back in 2002. Took me forever to find the stadium (yes, I found out then that it wasn't on the Midwestern State campus), so I had to break down and do what I try not to do: stop at a local business and ask for directions to the stadium.
I believe Larry Birdine played in that game, but Texas handled the Oklahoma team something like 24-7.
I'll also remember that day for another reason: It was the day that (then Cardinals pitcher) Darryl Kile died in his Chicago hotel room. Not a Cardinal fan by any means, but I was on I-40 between Shawnee and OKC on my way to Wichita Falls and almost ran off the road when I heard that news.

Ruuuuuufus
6/18/2006, 10:50 PM
I think Jeremy Beal was the only player there thats going to Texas or Oklahoma. It used to attract alot of talent, but now it's mostly just non D-1 (or any level of college for that matter) kids that get into shoving matches and act like idiots.

Sooner24
6/18/2006, 11:47 PM
I think Jeremy Beal was the only player there thats going to Texas or Oklahoma. It used to attract alot of talent, but now it's mostly just non D-1 (or any level of college for that matter) kids that get into shoving matches and act like idiots.

Texas blanks Oklahoma 17-0 in Oil Bowl
By Zach Duncan/Times Record News
June 17, 2006

Carrolton Creekview’s Jeremy Beal was recognized as the defensive most valuable player of Saturday night’s Oil Bowl all-star football game.

The Oklahoma signee wreaked havoc against the state he will soon call home, making seven tackles, one-and-a-half sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

But the truth is, any one of three Texas defenders could have received the honor during Texas’ 17-0 whipping in front of an all-time low of 4,800 fans at Memorial Stadium.

Try Garland’s Tim Crosby, who picked off two passes. Or Plano’s Kinzey Joiner, whose 18-yard fumble return gave the home team a two-touchdown advantage.

In a game marred by nine personal fouls and 216 yards’ worth of penalties, Texas’ defense, headed by the ringleader Beal, was worth the price of admission.

"Defense feeds off of emotion, and that’s what we did," said Beal, referring to the game’s venomous late hits and scuffles. "We kicked their (tail). Did they have over 100 yards? I don’t even think so."

It was Texas’ 13th shutout against Oklahoma in the game’s 69-year history, with the last one coming 10 years ago. Texas leads the series 43-17.

Oklahoma’s offense was restricted to 89 yards. The team completed only three passes and was held to 1.8 yards per rush.
The defensive unit recovered two of the five fumbles it forced, generated five sacks and had three different Oklahoma quarterbacks scrambling for their lives.

"That defense was impressive — they were fun to watch," Texas coach Shawn Pratt said. "We knew our front seven would be pretty hard to block."

Euless Trinity’s Dimitri Nance earned offensive MVP honors, rushing for 108 yards on 19 carries and adding another 22 yards on two receptions.

His 130 yards were 60 percent of Texas’ total offense (216 yards) and more than Oklahoma’s entire team. But the Lone Star State didn’t need any offense, not with the way its defense was playing.

With the score tied at 0-0, Crosby (SMU) intercepted Randy Palmer’s first pass of the second half at Oklahoma’s 34-yard line for his second pick-off.

Seven plays later, Flower Mound quarterback Nick Stephens (Tennessee) hooked up with Denton Ryan’s Justin Fenty for a 12-yard touchdown midway through the third quarter.

"When your defense plays like this, your offense just has to be smart and take care of the football," Pratt said. "We took advantage of those opportunities."

Texas didn’t even depend on its offense to score the game’s second touchdown four minutes later.

Oklahoma quarterback Tanner Robertson coughed up the football deep it its territory, and Joiner (Mary-Hardin Baylor) scooped up the loose ball, sprinting 18 yards for the touchdown and a 14-0 lead.

McKinney North kicker Blake Baublits added a 35-yard field goal late in the fourth quarter, ending an eight-minute Texas drive.

"If you’re going to have turnovers, you’re going to probably lose the ballgame," Oklahoma coach Pat McGrew said. "Turnovers were the key to the game."

Coweta’s Mike Bryan (Tulsa) led Oklahoma with eight tackles, and Putnam City’s Leotist Gordon made a highlight-reel interception in a fine defensive effort overshadowed by Texas’ performance.

It looked like possibly only one score would lead to a victory after a scoreless first half.

Texas drove 80 yards on its opening possession, with Nance gaining 66 yards on the ground. The drive stalled at Oklahoma’s 10-yard line, and three unsportsmanlike penalties backed Texas up 45 yards.

Both teams struggled to move the ball, each failing to convert a 4-and-1 in the opposition’s territory. The teams totaled twice as many personal fouls (five) than completions (two) in the first two quarters.

Staff sports writer Zach Duncan can be reached weekdays after 4 p.m. by calling 720-3470 or 1-800-627-1646. Or e-mail him at duncanz(at)timesrecordnews.com.

RedstickSooner
6/20/2006, 11:08 AM
The fun thing about watching high school football is the offense. This game sounds like a nightmare. 216 yards of offense on one side, 89 yards on the other? Yuck. Ironic that the highest offensive output happened to match the games penalty yardage total.

I like the idea of some of these state rivalry games 'n such, but they sure don't seem to be doing very well of late. Are there any other high school all-star games that are doing well, aside from the Army all-star game?

The Consumate Showman
6/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Anyone read the DO article on the oil bowl? I read it this morning and it talked about okie light signee Myron Mckinney going up against OU's Beal. Sounds like Jeremy got the best of him for the most part.

The Consumate Showman
6/20/2006, 11:18 AM
The fun thing about watching high school football is the offense. This game sounds like a nightmare. 216 yards of offense on one side, 89 yards on the other? Yuck. Ironic that the highest offensive output happened to match the games penalty yardage total.

I like the idea of some of these state rivalry games 'n such, but they sure don't seem to be doing very well of late. Are there any other high school all-star games that are doing well, aside from the Army all-star game?

I don't know if you're familiar with the Seminole area of Oklahoma, but I'm from a small town called Konawa about 25 miles South of Seminole and when I was in Junior High and Konawa was actually decent, we had several of our guys play in the Wrangler Bowl. It was usually a pretty good, intense game and all of the kids got after it and put their hearts into it becasue they were always the kids that weren't going on to college and it was literally their last game.

Don't know if they still have it, though.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/20/2006, 06:46 PM
Eufaula's got a pretty good all-star football game usually held the third Saturday in May, the Iron Bowl. They've had it for over 20 years. I've been to all but one of the Iron Bowls since 2001. It pits some of the top players in eastern Oklahoma in an East vs. West format.

Sooner24
6/20/2006, 06:47 PM
I always considered Konawa in the Ada area.

Big John
6/20/2006, 06:55 PM
Texas blanks Oklahoma 17-0 in Oil Bowl
By Zach Duncan/Times Record News
June 17, 2006

The Oklahoma signee wreaked havoc against the state he will soon call home, making seven tackles, one-and-a-half sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

I've never understood the half-sacks. Is that when a defender forces the quarterback to slide or dive while in the backfield, or is it when two defenders are making an assisted sack?

The Consumate Showman
6/20/2006, 11:37 PM
I always considered Konawa in the Ada area.

Yeah, we are in the Ada area, but our players always went to the Wrangler Bowl with guys from teams our size up to the size of Seminole basically. Ada was too big of a school. (about class A to 3A)

Ada players usually go to some other Bowl game that I never can remember the name of....

BTW, Where are you from Sooner24?

royalfan5
6/21/2006, 08:23 AM
I've never understood the half-sacks. Is that when a defender forces the quarterback to slide or dive while in the backfield, or is it when two defenders are making an assisted sack?
It's two defenders, just like an assisted tackle is.

humblesooner
6/21/2006, 08:27 AM

It is when two tacklers equally make the sack.
I think, but am not sure, that if three players are equally involved, they credit each with a half sack, also.

Big John
6/21/2006, 08:53 AM
It is when two tacklers equally make the sack.
I think, but am not sure, that if three players are equally involved, they credit each with a half sack, also.
I guess that's how someone can end up with 46 and a three-fouths sacks;)

Sooner24
6/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, we are in the Ada area, but our players always went to the Wrangler Bowl with guys from teams our size up to the size of Seminole basically. Ada was too big of a school. (about class A to 3A)

Ada players usually go to some other Bowl game that I never can remember the name of....

BTW, Where are you from Sooner24?

Ardmore, but my grandparents lived in Ada for over 40 years.

King Crimson
6/21/2006, 05:10 PM
i'm going to guess that Mike Bryan from Coweta is a family member of Sooner great Ricky Bryan? also from Coweta...

Sooner24
6/21/2006, 06:56 PM
Son.

He played against Ardmore in the playoffs.