PDA

View Full Version : How come Sunday...

mdklatt
6/16/2006, 05:33 PM
is the first day of the week in Western (i.e. Christian) societies? Shouldn't it be the seventh and last day? It is in Latin America, if my HS Spanish book is to be believed.

:confused:

Hatfield
6/16/2006, 05:39 PM
wasp god is an arrogant god that demands his day come first or something.

i don't know i got nuthin

Sooner24
6/16/2006, 06:11 PM
How come Sunday is fathers day?

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/16/2006, 06:18 PM
is the first day of the week in Western (i.e. Christian) societies? Shouldn't it be the seventh and last day? It is in Latin America, if my HS Spanish book is to be believed.

:confused:

I think it used to be the last day when it was only the Jewish Sabbath.

I think the Christians changed it to the first day of the week in honor of the Resurrection.

I'm probably not remembering that right, but I'm thinking that's why.

scaldeddawg
6/16/2006, 06:23 PM
Maybe someone who's a Seventh Day Adventist can chime in? Maybe?

Just don't know.

SicEmBaylor
6/16/2006, 06:48 PM
I've never accepted Sunday as the first day of the week. Say what you will for whatever reason you want, but to SicEmBaylor the first day of the week is Monday.

Newbomb Turk
6/16/2006, 08:02 PM
Look at a calendar - Sunday comes first.

Duh.

StoopTroup
6/16/2006, 08:07 PM
Why would you ask such a question after 5pm on a Friday?

usmc-sooner
6/16/2006, 08:11 PM
NFL Football that is why

MamaMia
6/16/2006, 08:15 PM
The Sabbath is the seventh day of the religious week and Sunday is the first day of the calander week.

Newbomb Turk
6/16/2006, 08:15 PM
NFL Football that is why

ooh - that's the best answer I've seen so far.

GottaHavePride
6/16/2006, 11:20 PM
Sunday used to be the last day of the week, putting the Sabbath at the end of the week, but whichever Roman emperor it was that converted to Christianity made Sunday (the sun's day) the first day of the week. It was easier to convert the sun-god worshipers - who were a large denomination at the time - and assimilate them into Christianity. He didn't care what religion the Romans were so long as it was all the same one, making them easier to govern.

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2006, 02:23 AM
Sunday used to be the last day of the week, putting the Sabbath at the end of the week, but whichever Roman emperor it was that converted to Christianity made Sunday (the sun's day) the first day of the week. It was easier to convert the sun-god worshipers - who were a large denomination at the time - and assimilate them into Christianity. He didn't care what religion the Romans were so long as it was all the same one, making them easier to govern.

Constantine I

Okla-homey
6/17/2006, 06:55 AM
For the record, the Talmudic/Biblical Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and continues until sundown on Saturday.

Most Christians celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday in order to commemorate Christ's resurrection which occured sometime on Saturday night and became known to His followers on Sunday morning. This Sunday sabbath observance has thus been incorporated into Christian doctrine.

Some of my Roman Catholic friends who know they'll be unable to attend Sunday morning Mass go to Mass early on Saturday evenings which is considered a Sunday Mass attendance by the Church per the above.

Our Seventh Day Adventist friends prefer to observe the Sabbath on Saturday per the Talmudic/Biblical tradition.

I personally don't think our Lord cares much when believers keep the Sabbath, as long as they do so.

King Crimson
6/17/2006, 06:57 AM
I've never accepted Sunday as the first day of the week. Say what you will for whatever reason you want, but to SicEmBaylor the first day of the week is Monday.

this is about where i'm at.

yermom
6/17/2006, 08:33 AM
as long as i don't have to work on either day, i'm fine :P