PDA

View Full Version : RUDY meets RUDY

slickdawg
6/16/2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/14463477.htm

Allen OK as the other 'Rudy'
There is one "Rudy" story that everyone knows, the one told in movie form about the feisty but scrawny Notre Dame walk-on football player who gets in for the last few plays of his last college game and sacks the quarterback.

Then there is the other Rudy story that not enough people know, the one about the Georgia Tech quarterback who became a football footnote because he was taken down by a 5-foot-6, 165-pound defensive end.

There's Dan "Rudy" Ruettiger, who parlayed a 27-second Notre Dame football career into a multi-million dollar industry complete with motivational speaking engagements, books and the 1993 movie "Rudy" that can make even the most jaded of jocks cry into their sweatbands.

Then there's Rudy Allen, whose post-football plan brought him home to Columbus as the human resources manager for barbecue grill manufacturer Char-Broil.

"He's the real Rudy," Allen said of Ruettiger. "I'm the other Rudy."

They haven't seen each other since their bodies collided and their lives intersected in Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 8, 1975, when the Fighting Irish beat Allen's Tech team 24-3. But Allen hopes they will meet again on June 13, when Ruettiger comes to the RiverCenter to speak at the Celebration of Sports Excellence ceremony that honors the Ledger-Enquirer's All-Bi-City athletes and coaches.

John Hargrove, the event chairman, thought it would be fun to bring the two men together again. There's even been some talk of trying to get ESPN to feature the reunion.

"Maybe it's destined to happen," said Allen, a Kendrick High School grad who shared the starting quarterback job at Georgia Tech his last two seasons there.

It's fair to say that Rudy No. 1 owes a portion of his fame to the other Rudy. Without that sack, there wouldn't have been much to separate Ruettiger's story of perseverance from those of any other Division I walk-on athlete. Without the sack, there probably wouldn't have been interest from Hollywood. Without his takedown of Allen, there wouldn't have been a penultimate scene for actor Sean Astin to play out.

"Rudy" remains a part of the HBO rotation and the sack serves as a triumph of determination.

Ruettiger grew up dreaming of playing for Notre Dame, but had to raise his grades in junior college to get in. He spent two seasons getting beaten up on the practice field before coach Dan Devine put him in as the clock ticked down against Georgia Tech.

Ruettiger went in at right defensive end, replacing future NFL first-round pick Ross Browner and lining up opposite of Tech backup tackle Jay Garrett. The Yellow Jackets had time for one last play, a desperation pass.

As the other Rudy dropped back to pass, Rudy No. 1 beat Garrett off the ball. Rudy No. 2 never saw him coming and never received a block from his halfback.

After the 6-foot-4 Allen went down, the 5-foot-6 Ruettiger went up on the shoulders of his teammates, who carried him off the field.

Those who know Allen's role in the Rudy tale wonder how he could've been dropped by someone so physically unimposing.

"My story, if anybody wants to believe it or not, is that my line had gotten beaten to a pulp and somebody threw one of those 'lookout blocks,' " Allen said.

"Everybody says, 'Look out!' "

Without that moment, who knows how things might have turned out for Notre Dame Rudy after college? Thanks to that one sack, Ruettiger remains in high demand as a public speaker and has delivered his motivational message to audiences from Italy to Australia.

Meanwhile, the other Rudy explains health insurance and benefits packages to new Char-Broil employees.

But don't think for a moment that Georgia Tech Rudy harbors any jealousy about Notre Dame Rudy's fame or fortune.

"I've seen the movie," Allen said. "It's a tremendous story with a tremendous punchline. I'm happy for the guy. He had a lifelong dream and he lived it. It's a testimony of dreaming and being able to achieve your dreams.

"I'm sure this thing has grown beyond his wildest dreams. I am proud of the fact that I could be a part of it."

On the surface, they couldn't be any more different. Notre Dame Rudy lives in Las Vegas and operates Rudy International, which offers corporate training, a "Rudy Club" and an online store. Georgia Tech Rudy enjoys the slower pace of Columbus and the comfort of a job he enjoys. His "Rudy Club" includes his sons -- Rudy III and Justin.

Ruettiger's football career lasted 27 seconds and produced one memorable play. Allen's included a scholarship, four productive seasons and a shot a pro football career that didn't pan out because of diabetes-related complications that caused him to leave the Chicago Bears' training camp.

It wasn't all bad, though.

"At least I got to meet Walter Payton," Allen said.

For all of their obvious contrasts, it's interesting to compare Rudy No. 1 and Rudy No. 2 now.

While people pay Notre Dame Rudy as much as $25,000 a pop to hear his message of perseverance, Georgia Tech Rudy spreads a message of faith for free as an associate minister at Revelation Baptist Church.

"Though we're in different lines of work, both of us have the distinct opportunity to motivate and affect many, many lives," said Allen, whose father, two brothers and sister also heeded the call to ministry.

Notre Dame Rudy uses the story of his sack to show people what they can achieve. Georgia Tech Rudy sometimes uses God's storybook to help people get up after they've been knocked down.

Maybe the two Rudys aren't so different after all.

Sooner in Tampa
6/16/2006, 11:01 AM
Dude...it's Friday, can we just have the cliffnotes?

slickdawg
6/16/2006, 11:02 AM
no.

:D

Sooner in Tampa
6/16/2006, 11:07 AM
no.

:D:mad:
Fine

I just won't read your post then. :mad:

;)

6/16/2006, 11:11 AM
Notre Dame Rudy was in town for a game a couple years ago. After visiting with him for a few minutes, I realized I didn't care much for the guy.

85Sooner
6/16/2006, 11:40 AM
Notre Dame Rudy was in town for a game a couple years ago. After visiting with him for a few minutes, I realized I didn't care much for the guy.

But was a great story in any case.

BeetDigger
6/16/2006, 11:54 AM

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4089/nd11re.gif

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/16/2006, 11:59 AM
Dude...it's Friday, can we just have the cliffnotes?

Ok. here's the important part....

Notre Dame Rudy uses the story of his sack to show people what they can achieve.

I dont know why anyone wants to pay $25K to know about Rudys sack but thats just me....:D

OUDoc
6/16/2006, 12:38 PM
I dont know why anyone wants to pay $25K to know about Rudys sack but thats just me....:D
They made a whole movie about his sack. No one will do one about mine. :(

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/16/2006, 12:46 PM
They made a whole movie about his sack. No one will do one about mine. :(

They'd be nuts to make a movie about anybodys sack. I dont care how inspirational it is... Sorry. Couldnt resist

Scott D
6/16/2006, 12:55 PM
I'd be content if ND Rudy fell into a coma and never woke up.

soonerhubs
6/16/2006, 01:06 PM
I'd be content if ND Rudy fell into a coma and never woke up.
From the clips I've seen he doesn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed. Was I wrong?

slickdawg
6/16/2006, 01:09 PM
From the clips I've seen he doesn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed. Was I wrong?

Well, lets see, 1/2 of the movie, he's agonizing about not making the
grades at a JUCO, much less Notre Dame, so no, he's a few bricks
short of a load.

NTTAWWT

Scott D
6/16/2006, 02:24 PM

I doubt it...I just didn't want to come across with how I really felt which would be along the lines of 'I wouldn't lose any sleep if he got hit by a bus and was killed instantly.' as to not offend anyone whom may have had a relative lost that way.

Widescreen
6/16/2006, 02:53 PM
My favorite Rockne line:

When the breaks are beating the boys, win just one for the Digger.

http://www.allamericanspeakers.com/sportspeakers/photos/Digger_Phelps.jpg

Rockne must have been a big ND basketball fan.

OUDoc
6/16/2006, 03:02 PM
Check out how many definitions there are for "breaks".
http://www.onelook.com/?w=breaks&ls=a

OUDoc
6/16/2006, 04:23 PM
It's a lot.

6/16/2006, 04:25 PM
Man, you weren't kidding. Who knew?

I can start my weekend now.

StoopTroup
6/16/2006, 04:26 PM
How Touching.

Widescreen
6/16/2006, 04:35 PM
Check out how many definitions there are for "breaks".
http://www.onelook.com/?w=breaks&ls=a
I think they missed some. For example:

Breakback (adj) The state of being currently ghey.