PDA

View Full Version : Congress may do something right for a change

jeremy885
6/15/2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/14810601.htm

I knew some states did this (offer in-state tuition to illegals) but I didn't know texas did until yesterday. Why I'm ****ed is because my wife is got accepted to the music school at UNT and they won't consider her to be an in-state resident until October (a year after she arrived), even though we were married in 2004 and I've lived in texas since April 2005. Funny thing is that we appealed it by saying if she was allowed to come to the US after we were married (she didn't have to go through the whole immigration thing), then she would have been here for the year and the in-state thing wouldn't be an issue. We were told be her advisor that it probably won't work though. Student loan debt here I come :mad:

Sad thing is if I would have flown her to Mexico and sneaked her across the border, then UNT would have to accept her as an in-state resident no questions asked. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
6/15/2006, 04:40 PM
Music school at UNT? Nice. What degree will she be working on?

jeremy885
6/15/2006, 04:47 PM
Whatever is associated with opera.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 05:07 PM
Sad thing is if I would have flown her to Mexico and sneaked her across the border, then UNT would have to accept her as an in-state resident no questions asked. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it pays to do things illegally. Let that be a lesson to you.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 05:10 PM
Whatever is associated with opera.

Way to stay up with what is important in you wife's life. :D

Opera sounds pretty cool. She must have a great voice. I understand that music programs can be amazingly competitive.

slickdawg
6/15/2006, 05:16 PM

Opera sounds pretty cool. She must have a great voice. I understand that music programs can be amazingly competitive.

Sheeeeeit. If they don't play Lynyrd Skynyrd it' ain't no "music" school.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/15/2006, 05:22 PM
Sheeeeeit. If they don't play Roger Miller it' ain't no "music" school.fixed

GottaHavePride
6/15/2006, 05:31 PM

Not just schools - jobs are crazy hard to come by right now. the upside (at least for me) is that the people with the jobs right now are getting realy old - probably be a high turnover rate for the good jobs within the next 10-15 years.

Jeremy, she doing masters level or doctoral level? I'm guessing masters, because most singers don't care if they have the doctorate - they'd rather have the pro experience. There are always exceptions, though.

You can tell her OU's about to try to pull off The Magic Flute this fall - last I heard we haven't cast a Queen of the Night yet. ;)

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 05:37 PM
Not just schools - jobs are crazy hard to come by right now. the upside (at least for me) is that the people with the jobs right now are getting realy old - probably be a high turnover rate for the good jobs within the next 10-15 years.

I spoke with a few of the music grad student at U Chicago when I was there. The talked about how freaking competitive they all were with each other. It did not sound fun. They all had to go through a program that was immensely competitive, the program lasted like six to eight years (for Ph.D) and their starting pay was paltry for the few jobs out there. Music people do it for the love I guess.

GottaHavePride
6/15/2006, 05:47 PM
I spoke with a few of the music grad student at U Chicago when I was there. The talked about how freaking competitive they all were with each other. It did not sound fun. They all had to go through a program that was immensely competitive, the program lasted like six to eight years (for Ph.D) and their starting pay was paltry for the few jobs out there. Music people do it for the love I guess.

More or less. For me, I could get a doctorate in 3 years or less if I can get accepted into a program. The good jobs, though, don't care what degree you have - they just care if you can play. I can play - I just have to get lucky on an audition now. Oh, and wait for some jobs to actually open.

Scott D
6/15/2006, 07:19 PM
unless this story is about them impeaching themselves and declaring career politicians as criminals on par with murderers and rapists they aren't doing the right thing yet.

jeremy885
6/15/2006, 09:16 PM
It determines on how they view her transcript on what she can take. She's trying for the graduate program, but may have to go for a second bachelors.

She got a part for one of their summer performances but due to the out-of-state thing it would cost $1500 for two classes instead $600, so it will be a no go.

It's a pretty competitive school and she made it with probational status, so she'll have to audition again next spring.

How the hell would I know what the degree is called? I'm an Accountant for Christ sakes ;) .