PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereos - Music System ?

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2006, 10:56 AM
Reading the old geezer thread (which brought back fond memories) made me wonder... how many of you good, gentle f'in' hillbillies have a tricked up, super cool, mondo, XM Satellite radio, 6 disc cd player, mega gigged out speaker system in your car?

If you drive long distances every day, I can see the point... but in urbanville here, where hopefully, you don't have to drive long distances, what's the point? Don't you listen to 2 or 3 favorite radio stations.. for example, the Ticket then when they go to their 8 consecutive minutes of commercials and crap, you switch over to ESPN.. or if both are crap, then you listen to a CD for awhile.

What's the point of having access to a bajillion stations if you only listen to a few during any one trip?

soonerbrat
6/15/2006, 10:58 AM
i have a 6-CD changer..it came with my car..but i never use it, i just use my iPod. when i'm in my mom's escalade, i do enjoy the satellite radio though..can listen to lots of sports and stand up comedy and stuff

Stanley1
6/15/2006, 11:05 AM
I didn't change the radio/cd player that came stock, but I do have two 10's and two amps in my trunk.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:07 AM
I used to be into that when I was younger, I've graduated to the home arena now.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2006, 11:08 AM
I didn't change the radio/cd player that came stock, but I do have two 10's and two amps in my trunk.

Change the head unit ASAP. World of difference.

And is one of those Amps running your door speakers?

Bump, bump-bump
That's the sound of the fifteens while they're hitting in my trunk

King Crimson
6/15/2006, 11:08 AM
all i know is that when you and yer buddy (who's expertise in such matters is usually more a product of hillbilly bravado than actual skill or experience).....are putting in your new car stereo in the driveway.....if you aren't wearing a sweaty concert t-shirt (from glory days of yore) and consuming 16 oz. Bud "tallboys"....you should not expect a high level of success.

BudSooner
6/15/2006, 11:11 AM
Pffffft, satellite radio...cd changers.
Here's just one thing you need to know.....8-TRACK baby.

that is all.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2006, 11:16 AM
iPod + FM Transmitter = Happy Me

oumartin
6/15/2006, 11:29 AM
I'm not into trickin out the rides anymore, i just wish all vehicles came with EQ's so you could back out the freakin' midrange. Most cars have decent systems if you could tweek on them a bit.

ultimatesooner1
6/15/2006, 11:39 AM
I have an aftermarket cd player because the factory cd player quit playing cds at 45k miles. my buddy threw a small amp and a couple of 6x9s behind the seat when he put it in. I also have a direct wire for a mp3 player coming out of the dash

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 11:44 AM
If you drive long distances every day, I can see the point... but in urbanville here, where hopefully, you don't have to drive long distances, what's the point? Don't you listen to 2 or 3 favorite radio stations.. for example, the Ticket then when they go to their 8 consecutive minutes of commercials and crap, you switch over to ESPN.. or if both are crap, then you listen to a CD for awhile.

Pretty much concur, except for the Ticket part. I'm not sure what they talk about on there other than it isn't very interesting whatever it is. It is THE last resort. But given that ESPN radio is really commercials with an occasional fill-in of sports talk, then those last resort opportunities occur more frequently than I like.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2006, 11:46 AM
Pretty much concur, except for the Ticket part. I'm not sure what they talk about on there other than it isn't very interesting whatever it is. It is THE last resort. But given that ESPN radio is really commercials with an occasional fill-in of sports talk, then those last resort opportunities occur more frequently than I like.

You're wrong about the Ticket. I thought just like that when I started listening. Then gave it a chance and now love it. You get all the sports info you need, with talk show host opinions piped in as well. Plus alot of off the wall stuff that keeps the listener interested, because basically the four main shows all talk about the same thing. It's not one of the highest rated sports talk shows in America for nothing. People that live here and then move around, myself included, miss the Ticket alot.

Stanley1
6/15/2006, 11:48 AM
Change the head unit ASAP. World of difference.

And is one of those Amps running your door speakers?

Bump, bump-bump
That's the sound of the fifteens while they're hitting in my trunk

I checked into getting a new head unit when I bought the car. The Honda radio/cd player is pretty weird though. The "kit" for a new deck goes into that space below the radio/ac, where the navigation goes if you get it. I think they said I'd lose my dual ac control too.

Yeah, small amp hooked to door speakers. Need to replace those speakers, as they are blown, or near blown. Don't sound horrible though.

nmsoonergirl
6/15/2006, 11:50 AM
I definitely don't have fancy speakers, but I do have a 6 disc changer and sirius satelite radio (and a car thingy for my ipod, but I don't use that very much). Driving around town, I just listen to the radio. I got the Sirius because I drive to Norman or Colorado Springs at least once a month, and being able to listen to NPR while I'm driving makes things much nicer--after a while I find I even get bored listening to my CDs.
The IPOD is for the gym mostly, and at home, I mostly listen to Rhapsody on the computer.

LilSooner
6/15/2006, 11:50 AM
I am starting to wish I had XM in my car now. I finally broke down and bought an IPOD so I just leave that in the car now when I head out BFE. Which has started to be every day now.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 11:52 AM
You're wrong about the Ticket. I thought just like that when I started listening. Then gave it a chance and now love it. You get all the sports info you need, with talk show host opinions piped in as well. Plus alot of off the wall stuff that keeps the listener interested, because basically the four main shows all talk about the same thing. It's not one of the highest rated sports talk shows in America for nothing. People that live here and then move around, myself included, miss the Ticket alot.

It's that "off the wall stuff" that I don't care for. The ESPN affiliate in Seattle was THE BEST sports talk radio I have ever, ever heard. In spite of the fact that they had the Fatulous Sports Babe (blob) on there locally when I was there. I'm in the car for a total of 20 minutes each day anyway so it really doesn't matter.

StoopTroup
6/15/2006, 11:53 AM
http://www.drunkcow.com/content/1682.html

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2006, 11:58 AM
I checked into getting a new head unit when I bought the car. The Honda radio/cd player is pretty weird though. The "kit" for a new deck goes into that space below the radio/ac, where the navigation goes if you get it. I think they said I'd lose my dual ac control too.

Yeah, small amp hooked to door speakers. Need to replace those speakers, as they are blown, or near blown. Don't sound horrible though.

Let me know if you need help getting anything installed.

GottaHavePride
6/15/2006, 12:15 PM
My car is old and had no CD capabilities when I got it. So we put an Alpine CD player in it. It has been much happier since then. I won't do anything else to it, though, because I'd prefer just to get a different car.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 12:18 PM

Stan you're icy hot.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2383/icyhotstuntaz1wx.jpg

Taxman71
6/15/2006, 01:37 PM
I just dug out my old box of cassettes that I haven't looked at in about 15 years. There was damn fine music back in the 80's.