PDA

View Full Version : Prepping spare ribs for smoking-kinda

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 09:19 AM
Are there any parts that I need to remove before cooking the ribs?

Mjcpr
6/15/2006, 09:23 AM
You need to peel off the membrane.

Fuh real.

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:29 AM
If I slow smoke ribs, I never remove the membrane.

If I just grill (relatively quick) some baby back ribs, then I remove the membrane.

Sooner in Tampa
6/15/2006, 09:30 AM

Fuh real.Do they make a tool for that?

Mjcpr
6/15/2006, 09:31 AM
AB says to take it off, so does Norm.

:)

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:31 AM

Fuh real.

This recipe courtesy of Buffalo Bill.

:les:PUT THE FU*KING LOTION IN THE BASKET!!!!!!!!

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 09:32 AM
Do they make a tool for that?

yes. fingers.

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 09:35 AM
:les: STOP TRYING TO RUIN MY AWESOME THREAD!!!

Pat is the only helper so far, thatks Pat. And Newbomb, thanks goes to him as well.

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:35 AM
I like to smoke the ribs so tender, you actually need the membrane to somewhat hold them together.

Mjcpr
6/15/2006, 09:36 AM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say DON'T use a rub, so I'm guessing a rub is important too.

Mmmmm, rub.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:39 AM
I like to rub it.

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:39 AM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say DON'T use a rub, so I'm guessing a rub is important too.

Mmmmm, rub.

no doubt.

I put a dry rub on the ribs AT LEAST 24 hours before smoking the ribs. It kind of turns into a wet marinade after sitting in the fridge. Then I sprinkle some more seasoning on them before smoking them.

Sooner in Tampa
6/15/2006, 09:41 AM

Mmmmm, rub.Me thinks that Pat is a Master Rubber :D

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 09:41 AM
I had heard someone say to cut the tips off or something.

Here's how I cook mine. I soak in apple juice and a can of cherry coke with crushed garlic, cayenne and other flavors overnight. I then add some apple cider vinegar a few hours before throwing on the grill. I then dry off ribs, put a dry rub of black pepper, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, sometimes garlic powder and sometimes cavenders. I use a smoke box thingy with hickory and mesquite chips in it and place on burner ( I only have a propane grill). I place ribs on left side of grill and turn right burner on.

It takes about 2-3 hours and they have been very tender and juicy in the past but should I take off the top bone thingy that runs perpindicular to the ribs?

nmsoonergirl
6/15/2006, 09:42 AM
http://http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/1450/buttrubgrande7gy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I love this stuff.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 09:42 AM
i use a marinade for my ribs, then put them in the oven for a couple hours reallllllllllll low, then smoke them

never tried removing the membrane

question for you rib cookers, do you cook them as intact racks? or do you cut them into individual ribs?

Mjcpr
6/15/2006, 09:43 AM
Propane grill?

Oh, I thought you said you were smoking them on a grill......my bad.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 09:43 AM

Here's how I cook mine. I soak in apple juice and a can of cherry coke with crushed garlic, cayenne and other flavors overnight. I then add some apple cider vinegar a few hours before throwing on the grill. I then dry off ribs, put a dry rub of black pepper, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, sometimes garlic powder and sometimes cavenders. I use a smoke box thingy with hickory and mesquite chips in it and place on burner ( I only have a propane grill). I place ribs on left side of grill and turn right burner on.

It takes about 2-3 hours and they have been very tender and juicy in the past but should I take off the top bone thingy that runs perpindicular to the ribs?

I'm gonna hire you to come up and be my rib bitch during football season. You can watch my TV and drink all the beer you want if you cook the ribs.

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:45 AM
should I take off the top bone thingy that runs perpindicular to the ribs?

yeah - I think some do this to make a nice looking "rectangular" rack of ribs. I say why waste the stuff.

1stTimeCaller
Well, I do what I can do with what I got. I turn one burner on low and put the woodchip box over the burner to provide the smoke. It's not perfect but it works.

I preheat the box in the oven at 500 degrees for about 20 minutes to ensure that the wood chips smoke.

1stTimeCaller
I'm gonna hire you to come up and be my rib bitch during football season. You can watch my TV and drink all the beer you want if you cook the ribs.

deal

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 09:46 AM
might be fun to have a "rib cookoff" at one of the tailgates, would have to do it for a nite kickoff.....but everybody brings a couple racks, and cooks them however it is they normally cook them

the winner, judged by whoever......gets a free beer from Dean

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:46 AM
question for you rib cookers, do you cook them as intact racks? or do you cut them into individual ribs?

I smoke the rack intact for three hours. Then cut it in half, and wrap the halves in foil for a couple hours or so.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 09:50 AM
my boss cooks them, and then has a pan full of bbq sauce sitting on the grill, he cuts them into individual ribs and then lets them sit in the sauce on the grill......they're pretty damn good that way

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 09:50 AM
I'm going to have to try 1TC's apple juice and Coke marinade sometime.

...without the gas grill though. :D

IB4OU2
6/15/2006, 09:53 AM
I'm going to have to try 1TC's apple juice and Coke marinade sometime.

...without the gas though. :D

Oh, you'll get the gas........:D

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 09:54 AM
Do spare ribs have a membrane? I guess they do. I have only smoked baby backs and I will remove the membrane from now on when I make them. I think that a paring knife is the tool of choice for membrane removal.

achiro
6/15/2006, 09:55 AM
Boil the ribs until they are about to fall off the bone, then follow your recipe(including the apple juice overnight stuff) but don't cook as long on the grill(or just smoke them) They will be the most tender ribs you've ever had. In fact be careful or the meat will fall off into the fire which of course is not good.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 09:57 AM
i dont care for the boiled method, i think once you've done that, they dont hodl a rub or marinade as well as they do when they're raw

Mjcpr
6/15/2006, 09:58 AM
i dont care for the boiled method, i think once you've done that, they dont hodl a rub or marinade as well as they do when they're raw
I miss achiro.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 09:59 AM
I miss achiro.

heh,

well he wass on the list......pffft "doctor"

Boarder
6/15/2006, 09:59 AM
If you boil them, your ribs should get up and punch you.

Remove the membrane. It's gross. take a paring knife and pull up an edge of it. Then take a paper towel and get a hold of it. you will then have a kung fu grip that will make it easy to pull off.

Cutting the top part off is called "St Louis Style". it just makes them more uniform. You still cook the tops and chop them into squares or something. I do that about 25% of the time. It's no big deal one way of the other.

Definitely take the membrane off.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 10:00 AM
Propane grill?

Oh, I thought you said you were smoking them on a grill......my bad.

:norm: BBQ nOOb

achiro
6/15/2006, 10:16 AM
I tell him to boil them because he's not really smoking them.
Also I know several successful smoke champs that boil whether they admit it or not.;)
I do agree with the rub thing though, you pretty much are stuck with a wet rub but again he's planning on grilling them. IMO a wet rub is better for the grill.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 10:25 AM
IMO a wet rub is better in the bedroom.

:eek:

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 10:28 AM
I've done the boiling thing once. I then decided that meat of any kind should never be boiled.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2006, 10:28 AM
might be fun to have a "rib cookoff" at one of the tailgates, would have to do it for a nite kickoff.....but everybody brings a couple racks, and cooks them however it is they normally cook them

the winner, judged by whoever......gets a free beer from Dean

First game is a night Game!!!!

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 10:29 AM
and I'm not really grilling them. I'm using indirect heat and a smoke thingy. It's not as good as a true smoker but 1000x better than boiling. IMO.

phead903
6/15/2006, 10:40 AM
Ok - here's my recipe for ribs...

Soak overnight (at least 8 hours) in a brine of water, pickling salt and molasses. Then pat them dry, apply your rub of choice (I make my own with brown sugar, Old Bay, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne) and wrap in foil. Referigerate for another 8 hours or so. Unwrap the ribs, place on a smoker ( I use an electric Brinkman with apple or hickory wood) for about 4 - 6 hours. When you can wriggle the bones and the meat is starting to pull away then they are done. Let them rest for a few minutes, then get your grub on!

It's not a quick way to ribs, but they sure are tasty!!

achiro
6/15/2006, 10:44 AM
and I'm not really grilling them. I'm using indirect heat and a smoke thingy. It's not as good as a true smoker but 1000x better than boiling. IMO.
The boiling isn't about flavor, its about tenderness. You still do the overnight in the apple juice and other marinades for flavor. I'm telling you, you will thank me.;)

BudSooner
6/15/2006, 10:48 AM
For smoking properly on a wood smoker take off the brisket(the top section of the rib...really it's just personal preference but its easier to cut thru when done cooking not to mention there is alot of waste, so if you can get them without the brisket by all means go ahead and get them)dry rub the ribs and put them in the fridge overnight(or two in my case)till the morning of cooking.

Get the fire super hot and let the coals turn to ash, add chips or chunks(I use chunks due to better heat and longevity of the cooking time..no need to add more chips or charcoal)position the ribs at the far end of the smoker(if you have an upright smoker stand them on their ends and tie the ends together with roast string-which can be had at your local grocer, then stand upright in center...remember to invert halfway thru cooking time)every so 45 minutes to an hour spray a light mist of apple juice or apple cider on both front and back of the ribs(Cider is good if your using pecan chunks)at the end of the cooking cycle...approx 1 1/2 hr before being done you might add a little coating of bbq sauce just to add some zing to the ribs.

C&CDean
6/15/2006, 10:51 AM
The boiling isn't about flavor, its about tenderness. You still do the overnight in the apple juice and other marinades for flavor. I'm telling you, you will thank me.;)

OK. Here's the real deal. I either baked/boiled my ribs for 25 years or so before cooking on the smoker or grill. Yes, they were tender.

Then, SB and Norm showed me the light. I use a rub, and slow smoke them now for about 3 hours, wrap them in foil and return to the smoker 2 hours, then out of the foil for about 20 minutes.

The difference between slow-smoked ribs and boiled first is so dramatic you can't even call them the same thing. Like SB said, your ribs should jump right up and jack-slap you if you drop them into boiling water.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 11:00 AM
my problem is that i get the smoker too hot, too much wood i guess, and they turn out a little oversmoked

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:03 AM
that's why you wrap them for most of the cooking process.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 11:04 AM
well thats something i havent tried, do you vent the foil at all? or wrap it tight?

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:06 AM
wrap it tight.

C&CDean
6/15/2006, 11:07 AM
well thats something i havent tried, do you vent the foil at all? or wrap it tight?

Supa tight.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:10 AM
I leave them exposed anywhere form 1 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the wood I am using, hickory is VERY stout tasting to me, so I wrap them much sooner than with pecan plum or apple. Then I just throw some charcoal on once they are wrapped to keep the temp where I want it.

Never had a complaint.

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 11:11 AM
Bruce says that your ribs taste like chicken livers.

just sayin'

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:13 AM
I'd spek you if I could.

achiro
6/15/2006, 11:20 AM
OK. Here's the real deal. I either baked/boiled my ribs for 25 years or so before cooking on the smoker or grill. Yes, they were tender.

Then, SB and Norm showed me the light. I use a rub, and slow smoke them now for about 3 hours, wrap them in foil and return to the smoker 2 hours, then out of the foil for about 20 minutes.

The difference between slow-smoked ribs and boiled first is so dramatic you can't even call them the same thing. Like SB said, your ribs should jump right up and jack-slap you if you drop them into boiling water.
I agree. Itc is not smokig the ribs though. Oh he SAYS he is but he's using a freaking propane grill. I still say boil them for that.:D

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2006, 11:23 AM
I am learning a lot from this thread.

Plus - mmmm, ribs...

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2006, 11:23 AM
ok, so courtesy of SB, i have some pecan wood and a few pieces of peach

i think i'll get a rack or two and try the foil wrap method this weekend

do you put the sauce on while its in the foil? or after?

JohnnyMack
6/15/2006, 11:24 AM
Why don't you fu*kers put a recipe together for us lazy people to use?

C&CDean
6/15/2006, 11:24 AM
ok, so courtesy of SB, i have some pecan wood and a few pieces of peach

i think i'll get a rack or two and try the foil wrap method this weekend

do you put the sauce on while its in the foil? or after?

sauce? You ****in' hillbilly.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/15/2006, 11:26 AM
sauce? You ****in' hillbilly.

Dean's making me make laughing noises out loud today...

jk the sooner fan
yeah i already said i dont use a rub......but i can

Mjcpr
The most I could devote to it is about 5-6 hours, tops.

BudSooner
6/15/2006, 11:29 AM
ROFL!!

1stTimeCaller
6/15/2006, 11:29 AM
not once have I said that I was smoking or bbqing them. Now, there isn't much difference between what I'm doing and smoking them although that small difference is huge. I'm using indirect heat and smoke from hickory and mesquite to cook the ribs. I'm just using a propane grill as that's what I have to work with.

I also wasn't asking advice on how to cook them as I only have one way, the propane grill.

Carry on my wayward son. ;)

Newbomb Turk
6/15/2006, 11:30 AM
Dean's method is the way to go.

It's basically a 3-2-1 method.

3 hours bare
2 hours wrapped in foil - I double wrap mine in heavy duty foil.
1 hour bare again. You can put some sauce on them at the end if you like em that way.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2006, 11:37 AM
no sauce, sauce is served on the side after they are done.

BeetDigger
6/15/2006, 11:47 AM
no sauce, sauce is reserved for the after dinner sex.

:eek:

JohnnyMack
6/16/2006, 10:43 AM
Where in Tulsa has the best ribs to buy?

Mjcpr
6/16/2006, 10:52 AM

Is that a sentence?

1stTimeCaller
6/16/2006, 10:52 AM
maybe in the Spanish language.

GottaHavePride
6/16/2006, 10:56 AM

http://www.hogsfly.com/

JohnnyMack
6/16/2006, 10:59 AM
I hate this place.

BeetDigger
6/16/2006, 11:00 AM
Is that a sentence?

Yes, 5-15 in medium security.

Zbird
6/16/2006, 10:33 PM

but should I take off the top bone thingy that runs perpindicular to the ribs?

Don't be handlin the "Bone thingy" without surgical gloves, and don't even think about cuttin' off the tips.

:D

Boarder
6/17/2006, 04:54 PM
Here's the 3-2-1 Method all laid out for you. It's from the Virtual Weber Bullet message board, which is an ultimately great board for BBQ tips.

Rub your ribs down the night before. Use your favorite rub..they are a dime a dozen. Wrap in Saran and let sit overnight in fridge.

Unwrap, prepare your smoker fire and then add the ribs. Just before adding to the pit, sprinkle with more rub. Add your smoke wood at this point. To 90% of the consuming public, smoke is smoke, so your choice of smoke wood is not a real issue at this point. Use whatever is free. Use chunks if you are using a charcoal fire and there is no need to soak.

Cook for 3 hours, basting after 2 hours. I use a very simple baste...3 parts citrus juice, 2 parts oil and 1 part vinegar. You can use whatever you want.

At the 3 hour mark, take the ribs off the smoker. Make sure to maintain your fire for the next several minutes. At this point you are going to foil your ribs. So, timeout for a discussion on foiling......

Many purists/traditionalists insist that foiling is a "crutch" and really not needed. That is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I am in pursuit of the BEST ribs and after 25 years and several hundred thousand racks of ribs prepared about 2 dozen different ways, I have concluded that foiling is needed to turn out the BEST ribs.

The general public wants falling off the bone tenderness. Now, we all know that a rib is overdone if the meat falls off the bones, but do you really want to try and convince someone that their favorite rib is too tender? Of course not..you would be laughed at. So, the best way to get that tenderness is to wrap your ribs in foil.

Enough on that!

So, lay out a large sheet of foil and place your rack on it...one per sheet of foil. Use REYNOLDS Heavy Duty foil...the other brands are mere jokes. Once the rack is on the foil, sprinkle with brown sugar or honey. Then use your mop sauce to moisten so the sugar melts. Wrap tightly and then back to the smoker.

Cook another 2 1/2 hours...don't do anything with the foiled ribs during this time.

You should now be at the 5 1/2 hr. mark of your cook. Take the ribs out of the foil and apply your favorite sauce. You can also go with a dry rib. That is my persoanl choice but I also make available at least 3 or 4 different sauces at the table....sweet, hot, mustard, vinegar, etc.

If you want a dry rib, then sprinkle more of your rub onto the meat after taking them out of the foil. If you want sauce, then slather with sauce.

Place the ribs back into the smoker for another 30 minutes and you are finally done.

This technique is pure timing! Don't expect to get it correct the first time. Here are the variables.......

Temp.....225º for a solid 6 hours. This will NOT work if your temps are all over the map.

Weight of the ribs....I use 2 1/4 lb. racks of loin backs(technically NOT baby backs but close enough). These come from Sam's Club and are great because they are NOT tumbled and injected. If your rack weighs more or less than that, the timing will need to be adjusted.

OK, since I ramble so damn much, here is a quick step-by-step....

Rub night before.
Smoke at 225º for 3 hours.
Baste after 2 hours.
Wrap in foil at the 3 hour mark.
Cook another 2 1/2 hours.
Remove from foil and place back into smoker for the last 30 minutes.

Best of luck to ya!

Stogie

Newbomb Turk
6/17/2006, 05:03 PM
I use a very simple baste...3 parts citrus juice, 2 parts oil and 1 part vinegar. You can use whatever you want.

Boarder - do you use this type of baste? If so, what kind of citrus juice and what kind of oil. I use a similar 3-2-1 method, but I don't baste my ribs.

Boarder
6/17/2006, 05:12 PM
I personally usually use a mix of the rub, apple juice, and a litle bbq sauce. Or, just apple juice.

And definitely try them as dry every so often. When you go to sauce them after 5 1/2 hours, just put on more rub (instead of sauce). It's really good if you use a rub with sugar in it. They're amazing.

Most people will use orange juice if they're using citrus.

Newbomb Turk
6/17/2006, 05:16 PM
Interesting. I never re-season my ribs once they hit the smoker. However, they are pretty heavily seasoned, or marinated before I start. I use a mixture of all kinds of seasonings plus lots of brown sugar.

Boarder
6/17/2006, 05:22 PM
Interesting. I never re-season my ribs once they hit the smoker. However, they are pretty heavily seasoned, or marinated before I start. I use a mixture of all kinds of seasonings plus lots of brown sugar.
I never did either. I was very happy with the results. The sugar in the rub almost gets a candy coating. Not really, but you get the drift. If you like sweet bbq, it's cool. I do it that way maybe 30% of the time.

Boarder
6/17/2006, 05:25 PM
Oh, and for brown sugar, try something called "Brownulated sugar". It has the brown sugar taste, but doesn't clump. I got some from MySpicer.com (a great place to buy bulk spices) and it's really cool. Keep the rub from clumping up.

Newbomb Turk
6/17/2006, 05:25 PM
thanks for the tips - I'm going to try some of these things next time I make ribs. That just may be next weekend.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2006, 03:15 PM
i must say that i took the afternoon off.....and that i'm now in the "foil" stage

and they're smelling pretty damn good

thanks to boarder for the pecan and peach wood.....

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 03:16 PM
He must've been down around your area buying a car.

:D

Boarder
6/29/2006, 04:04 PM
i must say that i took the afternoon off.....and that i'm now in the "foil" stage

and they're smelling pretty damn good

thanks to boarder for the pecan and peach wood.....
I hope you like them...you should, they're usually awesome.

Thank Dean for the wood. :D

uh huh huh huh huh

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2006, 04:07 PM
i only left them on for 2 hours without the foil.....i'm using one of those brinkman smokers so they seem to cook a little quicker

thanks for the wood dean (that sounds so naughty)

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 04:08 PM
So you people give wood to each other all across the country?

Must be nice to be in the clique!!!

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2006, 04:09 PM
pipe down minion......

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2006, 05:47 PM
ok, so im sold on this 3-2-1 method.......

best ribs i've ever made and i can improve on them.......

Boarder
6/29/2006, 10:06 PM
That dude who wrote all of the 3-2-1 method out definitely knos what he's doing. Glad they turned out. Last time I did ribs I bought a case of them at Sam's. I cooked them all and FoodSavered them in whole slabs. So, when I want some ribs (for the time being), I just thaw them out and heat them up. they taste like they just came off them smoker.

It's really a good idea to keep a cooking log so you can a)recreate the good recipes again and b)don't repeat your mistakes. It's a bit nerdy, but hey...we're all a part of a message board, so we're already pretty nerdy.

jk the sooner fan
6/29/2006, 10:10 PM
well next time i'm going to start off with less wood on those coils, a smaller fire, go slower....the meat fell off the bones quite easily.....the only part i didnt do was the brown sugar and honey.......next time i wont forget that part

Boarder
6/29/2006, 10:14 PM
Dude, if you liked them without the brown sugar (i never have used the honey), it'll blow your mind with them.

Newbomb Turk
6/30/2006, 07:19 AM
Dean's method is the way to go.

It's basically a 3-2-1 method.

3 hours bare
2 hours wrapped in foil - I double wrap mine in heavy duty foil.
1 hour bare again. You can put some sauce on them at the end if you like em that way.

That dude who wrote all of the 3-2-1 method out definitely knos what he's doing.

It's really a good idea to keep a cooking log.

Why thank you. ;)

oh - and I keep a 3-ring binder with recipes (mostly grilling). I make notes on each recipe as I perfect it. :O

Newbomb Turk
7/1/2006, 08:30 PM
I make some pretty good 3-2-1 ribs, but I think I will make Boarder style ribs on Monday.

Full report to follow.

Boarder
7/1/2006, 11:16 PM
I rarely, if ever, do brisket, but I'm going to do two of them tomorrow (brisket flats). Somewhat of a 3-2-1. You smoke them until they reach 160, then foil them with the brown sugar/juice on them. Put them back on the smoker until they are 195-200. Then unfoil and put them back for 20-30 minutes just to get a little bark on the outside. I'll be using Dean pecan and Big Green Egg lump charcoal. Should be outstanding.

When they're done, you can scrape the fat from the one side with your knife and slice away. I'll try to post pics. Of the brisket, not of me eating it.

Boarder
7/1/2006, 11:18 PM
They're in the fridge right now with rub on them, btw. If you don't know they're out there, you have to get some 2 gallon Freezer Ziploc bags. They rule for marinating. Just get the generic store brand.

Boarder
7/2/2006, 05:32 PM
OK, I forgot about taking pictures until I had it cut and packaged. Here's what it made (minus a pound of sliced for dinner tonight that's not in the picture):

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/4526/brisket07060ep.th.jpg (http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brisket07060ep.jpg)

4 pound packages Foodsavered and ready for the freezer, about a pound of chopped (also going to the freezer), and one pound or so for dinner tonight.

Here's the brisket close up:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4981/brisket0706close0nm.th.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brisket0706close0nm.jpg)

Fair smoke ring...taste was outstanding. Great bark. Tender. Somewhat juicy. I dug it.

After I pulled the brisket, since I still had some fire left, I put on some beans:

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/4967/beans4vh.th.jpg (http://img414.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beans4vh.jpg)

I went to Farmer's Market yesterday and got some zucchini so I'm about to slice it, olive oil it, and put it on the grill for a bit when the beans get done. Should be a nice dinner. :D :meat:

Newbomb Turk
7/2/2006, 09:30 PM
man, that looks good Boarder.

I bought some baby back ribs for tomorrow. Going to make some beans and grill corn on the cob too. I'm used to making a full rack of regular pork ribs, so I'm still not sure how long to smoke the baby backs. I'll just wing it.

Boarder
7/2/2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks! It tasted good, too. :D Good seasoned pecan straight off the farm is just impossible to beat.

I have never had that good of luck with baby backs, but generally, they take about the same amount. When you cut spares down St Louis style they're about the same size, just not as curved.

Good luck with it. This was my July 4th cook, since I didn't want to be stuck on Tuesday tending the smoker.

The squash was good, too. There wasn't much smoke taste, which was good.

The lump worked really well, btw. It was hotter than regular and I couldn't keep it down under 240 very well. It seemed to work, though. It lit really easy except for it popping like a shotgun and scaring the crap out of me.

I'll probably stick with Kingsford. I always know what I'm getting with it.

jk the sooner fan
7/2/2006, 10:17 PM
Boarder, i've got a huge pork tenderloin thats been sitting in the freezer for awhile, its not seasoned or anything.....no idea what to do with it

hell maybe i'll ship it up to you and dean to smoke for the first tailgate

Newbomb Turk
7/3/2006, 03:11 PM
Boarder, i've got a huge pork tenderloin thats been sitting in the freezer for awhile, its not seasoned or anything.....no idea what to do with it

hell maybe i'll ship it up to you and dean to smoke for the first tailgate

Even though pork tenderloin is a good cut of meat, I've found that a pork shoulder/pork butt/Boston butt is better for the smoker. The cheaper cut of pork has more fat in it, which will basically disolve into the meat when it is slow cooked. Makes great pulled pork.

My babyback ribs are on the smoker right now, nearing the end of the "3" stage in the 3-2-1 method.

Newbomb Turk
7/3/2006, 05:34 PM
I have never had that good of luck with baby backs, but generally, they take about the same amount.

Not true - after 2 hours in the foil, I could barely get them out of the foil. They were falling apart.

I did 2 hours bare and 2 hours in the foil. They are finishing right now with the rub on top for about 1/2 hour.

85Sooner
7/3/2006, 06:32 PM
when you cook the whole rack it cooks more evenly I always remove the membrane with the tool I got in 1951....my fingers....I have made my own dry rub & I have also marinated the ribs, just depends on the person. As someone else said it is kinda wet after the dry rub has been on for about 24 hrs.When I do the dry rub I wrap them tightly in clear wrap.I also now use a weber gas grill and do the indirect heat & put the chips in my homemade foil pan right over the flame & it does a great job.

Newbomb Turk
7/3/2006, 06:42 PM
Well - the babybacks were fall apart tender - very good. The one thing I did different this time was to re-season the ribs a few times.

I used the same thing I usually dry-rub my ribs with - brown sugar, Lawrys, black pepper and rib spice.

The only problem I had with them was that they were a bit salty. I may do the same thing next time, minus the Lawrys. I liked the sweet taste re-seasoning with brown sugar gave them.

85Sooner
7/3/2006, 06:44 PM
Above post posted by a coworker. I wasn't born in 51

Newbomb Turk
7/3/2006, 06:47 PM
Above post posted by a coworker. I wasn't born in 51

You were born earlier?

IB4OU2
7/4/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm smoking 2 racks of ribs this morning, I started about 7:45 am, I will be basting and covering them at 10:45 for 2.5 hours then I'll take the foil off at about 1:15 baste and let them cook for another hour. That's pretty much the way I've always done it..and I've alway made some pretty good ribs. Hoppy 4th hillbillies.....:)

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 09:33 AM
I'm wanting to buy a smoker - can anyone make a recommendation?

I'd like a decent-sized unit, enough to do 2 racks of ribs at once. But I don't really want to spend over $400-$500. A grill/smoker combo unit doesn't appeal to me at this point.

The prices seem to vary widely and I'm gettin' cornfused :confused: would somebody please set me straight?

OU4LIFE
8/18/2008, 10:25 AM
find a welder and build your own, you won't be disappointed. Mine is made out of 1/2 thick steel pipe about 2ft in diameter, I kid you not, once you get the heat up to where you want it, it will hold temperature for more than an hour with no tending, and it takes less fuel.

DO NOT but a cheapy thin steel model, it will disintegrate within a year and you'll be buying another one.

also if you like to set it and forget it, my mom has a CookShack that works really well, and they are made in Ok.

good luck

sooneron
8/18/2008, 10:41 AM
Everyone here should know that I will be hitting New Zion in Huntsville next Thursday. FTW!!!

OU4LIFE
8/18/2008, 10:56 AM
Burn HIM....he's a witch

soonerinabilene
8/18/2008, 11:02 AM
How often do you plan on using it? Because Academy has some that are decent for just a few times a year that are around $200-300. If you are planning on using it a lot more than that, or getting into bigger things like a turkey at thanksgiving or multiple briskets, use 4life's advice.

sooneron
8/18/2008, 11:20 AM
Burn HIM....he's a witch

Have you EVER had their Q? It rawks!

BTW, I am planning on getting a better quality smoker in the future and have been pretty happy with my cheapo smoker from Lowe's.
I go through more wood, but it regulates temps pretty darn well. I just need to check every half hour or 45 min. Which, isn't so bad as it keeps me out of the house and off toddler duty.

C&CDean
8/18/2008, 02:15 PM
I'm wanting to buy a smoker - can anyone make a recommendation?

I'd like a decent-sized unit, enough to do 2 racks of ribs at once. But I don't really want to spend over $400-$500. A grill/smoker combo unit doesn't appeal to me at this point.

The prices seem to vary widely and I'm gettin' cornfused :confused: would somebody please set me straight?

There is only one smoker out there to buy. The Weber Smoky Mountain. End of discussion.

I've had gas smokers, wood smokers, and even an electric. I've tried everything out there. Soonerboarder turned me on to the WSM, and I've smoked nothing but perfect ribs, brisket, chicken, wild turkey, salmon, sausages, and fatties ever since.

You can buy one on-line for about $200+ or so. Sometimes Ace Hardware in Moore will have them in stock.

I smoked 3 racks of pork spare ribs, 2 racks of baby backs, and 10 Slovacek Jalapeno Sausages yesterday. With the little racks to stand up the ribs, they all fit fine.

I always follow the 3-2-1 method - except I've modified it a little. I turn the heat down a little and do heavy smoke for about 3.75 hours, then wrap then in foil and leave the heat down for about 2.5 hours. Then, if I want them wet, I'll slap some sauce on them and put them on the grill to crisp them up. If I want them dry, I just take them out of the foil and serve. They just firm enough to hold together if you pick up the whole rack, but if you shake it a little, they start to fall apart. Gooooood stuff.

Hamhock
8/18/2008, 02:19 PM
i refuse to post in a thread started by 1TC since ya'll killed him.

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 04:18 PM
There is only one smoker out there to buy. The Weber Smoky Mountain. End of discussion.

I've had gas smokers, wood smokers, and even an electric. I've tried everything out there. Soonerboarder turned me on to the WSM, and I've smoked nothing but perfect ribs, brisket, chicken, wild turkey, salmon, sausages, and fatties ever since.

You can buy one on-line for about $200+ or so. Sometimes Ace Hardware in Moore will have them in stock.

I smoked 3 racks of pork spare ribs, 2 racks of baby backs, and 10 Slovacek Jalapeno Sausages yesterday. With the little racks to stand up the ribs, they all fit fine.

I always follow the 3-2-1 method - except I've modified it a little. I turn the heat down a little and do heavy smoke for about 3.75 hours, then wrap then in foil and leave the heat down for about 2.5 hours. Then, if I want them wet, I'll slap some sauce on them and put them on the grill to crisp them up. If I want them dry, I just take them out of the foil and serve. They just firm enough to hold together if you pick up the whole rack, but if you shake it a little, they start to fall apart. Gooooood stuff.

ummm that's exactly, precisely what I needed. Thanks Dean!

colleyvillesooner
8/18/2008, 04:26 PM
Dean - 1
OU4LIFE - Still hairy

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 04:38 PM
the little racks to stand up the ribs

Dean, you're talking about these meat stander-uppers?

http://store.weber.com/img/ecom/product/306406_lg.jpg

Partial Qualifier
8/18/2008, 04:40 PM
Dean - 1
OU4LIFE - Still hairy

well.. 4life's suggestion was good but I'd probably screw it up if I tried to weld it myself.

NormanPride
8/18/2008, 05:15 PM
No, his suggestion is bad and he should feel bad.

OU4LIFE
8/19/2008, 08:58 AM
I do feel bad.

But since I already have a 600 pound smoker in my back yard, I don't think i'll be running out to buy a weber anytime soon.

I guess I'll just have to stick with my sucky-*** smoker for a while.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/OU4LIFE_2007/smokerarea.jpg

C&CDean
8/19/2008, 09:03 AM
Dean, you're talking about these meat stander-uppers?

http://store.weber.com/img/ecom/product/306406_lg.jpg

gigzactly.

I've got two of them (one for each cooking surface) and they work great.

C&CDean
8/19/2008, 09:06 AM
I do feel bad.

But since I already have a 600 pound smoker in my back yard, I don't think i'll be running out to buy a weber anytime soon.

I guess I'll just have to stick with my sucky-*** smoker for a while.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/OU4LIFE_2007/smokerarea.jpg

Meh.

Go to the big smoking contests. Everybody has their Smokezillas and Frankensmokers and all kinds of cool, creative smokers they've built. But if you watch them, they have about 3-4 WSM in the back to actually do the cooking, then they transfer the meat to their really cool smoker for show. Why? Cause the WSM is a superior smoker in every way.

I think the big smokers are cool, but unless you've got the time to stand in front of it for 5-8 hours to monitor the heat/smoke, etc., and want to be adding wood/coal all the time, go with the WSM.

colleyvillesooner
8/19/2008, 09:11 AM
DEAOWN3D!!

sooneron
8/19/2008, 09:36 AM
kiss ***

Sooner in Tampa
7/19/2010, 07:55 AM
Threads like this belong in the Hall of Fame...DOH...we don't have one :(

picasso
7/19/2010, 09:08 AM
http://www.primalgrill.org/index.asp