PDA

View Full Version : The Open looks like it could get really ugly for some

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 11:10 AM
The deadly combination of a breakdown in mechanics and poor decision making.. the classic recipe for athleticus chokeitupus.

Okay, if Lid says it was a choke job, I believe him. I mean.....who would know better than a ut fan about choke jobs, right? :D

sooneron
6/20/2006, 12:31 PM
direct quote from my pops who was with the Mickelson group all 4 days: " He played the last hole like his brain stopped working". he also said Phil's errant tee ball on 18 was at least 40 yards off line from his target.

I like Watson as well....but Tom had the reputation of not being able to finish a major/questionable late round judgement early in his career.....jus' sayin.
I had purchased beer in that tent not 24 hours earlier!:D The tee shot was WAY off. Bones should be taken to task for not tackling him. From the angle he had, he could have pitched out to the cross path (81 yds out), gotten a drop and prolly landed it close enough for par. His second shot was the worst decision. I think he was fried at that point and thought he could recover any way he wanted. Since he had just done that recently. There's a time to not tempt fate and he did it.
Everyone walking off the course looked like they were fried.

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 12:57 PM
I had purchased beer in that tent not 24 hours earlier!:D The tee shot was WAY off. Bones should be taken to task for not tackling him. From the angle he had, he could have pitched out to the cross path (81 yds out), gotten a drop and prolly landed it close enough for par. His second shot was the worst decision. I think he was fried at that point and thought he could recover any way he wanted. Since he had just done that recently. There's a time to not tempt fate and he did it.
Everyone walking off the course looked like they were fried.

he did hit a couple great recovery shots on 1 and one of the late holes deep in the back nine after hitting those big foul balls off the tee....so he prolly thought he could do it. pops said the worst thing happened to him was the ball bounced back towards the fairway off the tent in a place where his lie was in the matted grass and was sitting up enough that he thought he could pull off the big right to left fade he tried to hit.....where (like you say)....if he's got no shot he plays smart and for par/bogey

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usopen06/news/story?id=2492378

Report: Caddie defends Lefty's use of driver on 18

Phil Mickelson has been criticized for hitting driver on the 18th hole in Sunday's final round of the U.S. Open, but Lefty's caddie told the New York Post that there was never any consideration of hitting 4-wood instead.

AP Photo/Chuck Burton
Mickelson's implosion on 18 will be the enduring memory of the 2006 U.S. Open.
"There was never even a consideration about hitting anything but driver," Jim "Bones" Mackay told the newspaper. "Phil hits his 4-wood no more than about 240 yards. A 4-wood into a 10- to 15-mile-per-hour wind uphill is going to go about 225 yards. There was no possible way to hit 4-wood long enough to reach the dogleg if he missed the fairway."

Mickelson went for a par that would have won at Winged Foot, but wound up with a double bogey that made Geoff Ogilvy the first Australian to win the U.S. Open in 25 years. Mickelson's tee shot on the 18th went so far left that it clattered through the trees by a hospitality tent, into the trampled rough. Instead of playing out to the fairway and trying to get par he went after the green and hit a tree, the ball advancing only 25 yards.

The third shot sailed left of the green and buried in the bunker, plugged so badly that Mickelson had no chance to get close to the flag because the green ran away from him. He blasted out and through the green, into more rough, then chipped back 8 feet past the hole before making the last putt to close with double bogey.

Mackay told the Post that Mickelson kept hitting driver Sunday because it gave him the best chance to get the ball on the green, and said that he and Mickelson were aware of Ogilvy's progress ahead of them.

"We saw Ogilvy hit his second shot and were guessing that he hadn't put it on the green because he didn't look thrilled with it and we never heard the crowd roar," Mackay told the newspaper. "With [Colin Montgomerie], we heard from TV guys that he had a 10-foot putt for a five, and 60 seconds later we heard the crowd groan.

"So we knew that 4-over was going to win the tournament, and Phil was not playing for a tie."

Afterward, Mickelson handled the loss with poise, even calling himself "an idiot," but MacKay told the Post that Mickelson took the loss hard.

"I talked to him for about 15 seconds afterward. I don't think he's doing well at all. It was absolutely devastating."

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:17 PM
Like I said, there were "reasons" he did what he did. Just didn't work out. I bet he puts that 2nd shot on the green, or just off it 8 out of 10 times.

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:18 PM
how big is your wood for Mickelson?

sooneron
6/20/2006, 01:18 PM
he did hit a couple great recovery shots on 1 and one of the late holes deep in the back nine after hitting those big foul balls off the tee....so he prolly thought he could do it. pops said the worst thing happened to him was the ball bounced back towards the fairway off the tent in a place where his lie was in the matted grass and was sitting up enough that he thought he could pull off the big right to left fade he tried to hit.....where (like you say)....if he's got no shot he plays smart and for par/bogey
I saw one of the euro dudes hit one from there on Saturday and he managed to get it about 50 yards out in front of the slope of the green. I believe he made bogey.

My highlight was telling S Jones to just pick it up after he hit a squirelly third shot to that green that was about 1 ft from the hole. Steve started to act like he was picking it up whilst looking at me and smiling. Good guy.

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:21 PM
Like I said, there were "reasons" he did what he did. Just didn't work out. I bet he puts that 2nd shot on the green, or just off it 8 out of 10 times.
are you not going to admit it was stupid? even Phil said so geez.
punch it out, make a save or a bogey. either way you're still in it.

do not try to cut a 3 iron from the hay, with a tree 30 yeards in front of you, form 200 yards, with the lead on the 72nd hole.:)

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:23 PM
how big is your wood for Mickelson?

Huge. ;)

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:23 PM
and yes by my spelling I am drunk.

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 01:25 PM
i heard some of that on the radio yesterday....but, it dodges the issue that sooneron makes above. OK, let's say the best play is driver? he still drove it 45+ yards off line....bouncing it off sooneron's favorite beer tent. and THEN....you don't play to win. you play to NOT LOSE.

the other thing: given the way Phil was driving the ball (and inconsistancy off the tee has always been a part of his game)....programming a no-option like that (the yardage diff b/ween driver and 4 wood) into your 14 clubs that you can't make a safe play to doglegs...sounds like a preparation error to me. and, no doubt, it's indicative of less players carrying long irons and newer bag configuarations with utility clubs a 3 wedge systems and such.

don't get me wrong, Bones and Phil Mickelson know a lot more about playing golf than i ever will....but that doesn't mean they can't make mistakes or be in a position that the bag doesn't have an answer for.

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2006, 01:27 PM
So his caddy who makes a ton of money by working with Mickelson, defended him??? Get outta here.

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 01:27 PM

he advanced the ball 25 yards. :rolleyes:

sooneron
6/20/2006, 01:28 PM
i heard some of that on the radio yesterday....but, it dodges the issue that sooneron makes above. OK, let's say the best play is driver? he still drove it 45+ yards off line....bouncing it off sooneron's favorite beer tent. and THEN....you don't play to win. you play to NOT LOSE.

the other thing: given the way Phil was driving the ball (and inconsistancy off the tee has always been a part of his game)....programming a no-option like that (the yardage diff b/ween driver and 4 wood) into your 14 clubs that you can't make a safe play to doglegs...sounds like a preparation error to me. and, no doubt, it's indicative of less players carrying long irons and newer bag configuarations with utility clubs a 3 wedge systems and such.

don't get me wrong, Bones and Phil Mickelson know a lot more about playing golf than i ever will....but that doesn't mean they can't make mistakes or be in a position that the bag doesn't have an answer for.
Does anyone know if he was using the shorter driver or the regularly long one? I never heard it mentioned.

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:30 PM
he advanced the ball 25 yards. :rolleyes:

It hit a tree. Not like he didn't hit the ball solid. You probably couldn't throw a ball into that tree from 15 yards, and he accidentally hits a ball into it. Like I said, 8 or 9 out of 10 times, he hits that shot just fine. It just ended up being that one or two times he couldn't.

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:32 PM
It hit a tree. Not like he didn't hit the ball solid. You probably couldn't throw a ball into that tree from 15 yards, and he accidentally hits a ball into it. Like I said, 8 or 9 out of 10 times, he hits that shot just fine. It just ended up being that one or two times he couldn't.
dude, he hit the tree because he didn't hit the ball solid.

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know if he was using the shorter driver or the regularly long one? I never heard it mentioned.

I think it was his regular long one, but I'm not sure. The other driver is the "cut" driver, and he wasn't trying to cut on this hole I don't believe.

Another thing for some of you to keep in mind. While Phil hadn't been hitting fairways all day, he also wasn't missing by a bunch. I don't remember for sure, but I can't think of a time he was in the 2nd cut of primary rough on Sunday, and if he was, it was just once, maybe twice. In fact, alot of his misses were either in that first short cut of rough, or maybe a foot or two into in the first primary cut. Not like he was missing badly all day.

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:33 PM
dude, he hit the tree because he didn't hit the ball solid.

There is a difference between hitting it solid, and "overcutting" it. Had it not hit the tree, it would have traveled a long ways, like it was intended to. That is solid.

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:34 PM
I think it was his regular long one, but I'm not sure. The other driver is the "cut" driver, and he wasn't trying to cut on this hole I don't believe.

Another thing for some of you to keep in mind. While Phil hadn't been hitting fairways all day, he also wasn't missing by a bunch. I don't remember for sure, but I can't think of a time he was in the 2nd cut of primary rough on Sunday, and if he was, it was just once, maybe twice. In fact, alot of his misses were either in that first short cut of rough, or maybe a foot or two into in the first primary cut. Not like he was missing badly all day.
he said he went to his bread and butter shot off the tee on 18, which is a baby cut. it was a big baby.

Fugue
6/20/2006, 01:35 PM
There is a difference between hitting it solid, and "overcutting" it. Had it not hit the tree, it would have traveled a long ways, like it was intended to. That is solid.

true, if it doesn't hit the tree, it kills somebody 90 degrees to the left. :D

Stanley1
6/20/2006, 01:36 PM
he said he went to his bread and butter shot off the tee on 18, which is a baby cut. it was a big baby.

Ah, that I hadn't heard. Just assumed it was the regular driver.

He mis-hit the hell out of it, thats for sure.

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:37 PM
dude, the deal in golf is you pick a shot you're going to try and in order to pull it off it has to be hit solidly or flush. especially if you're trying a bender. he hit the tree because he pushed it or mis-hit it. which ain't solid.:D

maybe he was busy looking at the skirts in the beer tent?

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:38 PM
I read where Phil is replacing Rick Smith and Dave Pelz with SuperSooner.

TexasLidig8r
6/20/2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/chokevikings-tice.gif

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 01:43 PM

you are supposed to try and not hit the trees....so, because you've appealed to the logically unassailable position that it "hit a tree" and then toss in "accidentally"....you elevate his chances from "8" to "8 or 9" times out of ten? that's absurd.

you are working way to hard for something that really isn't there...what you are saying is based on assertion and speculation.

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 01:45 PM
I read where Phil is replacing Rick Smith and Dave Pelz with SuperSooner.

he better go buy a copy of Hogan's Five Essentials quickfast, or else SuperSooner will drop a ton science on his lazy ***.

(though, i dig the 5 essentials)

picasso
6/20/2006, 01:48 PM
he better go buy a copy of Hogan's Five Essentials quickfast, or else SuperSooner will drop a ton science on his lazy ***.

(though, i dig the 5 essentials)
me too and those illustrations in it are top notch. I used that book for a speech class presentation in college. of course my grip sucks.

Scott D
6/20/2006, 02:15 PM
that's because you wouldn't listen to Bruce.

picasso
6/20/2006, 03:10 PM
heh.

King Crimson
6/20/2006, 03:35 PM
of course my grip sucks.

i don't think Uncle Ben would like that too much....since he tells you to practice gripping the club like half an hour a day for a couple weeks before even looking at Chapter 2.

:D

picasso
6/20/2006, 03:47 PM
i don't think Uncle Ben would like that too much....since he tells you to practice gripping the club like half an hour a day for a couple weeks before even looking at Chapter 2.

:D
did he not struggle as a pro before switching to a weaker grip and playing a slight draw?

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 03:59 PM
Guys, Phil's meltdown is like so last weekend....

sooneron
6/20/2006, 04:03 PM
I seriously thought that Dean's post would be the one where he would be locking the faggy golf thread.

C&CDean
6/20/2006, 04:24 PM
Oh, OK. I can do that.

C&CDean
6/21/2006, 03:19 PM
This thread may continue....

bri
6/21/2006, 03:21 PM
I blame Phil's poor shot selection on Chuck Long.

C&CDean
6/21/2006, 03:22 PM
I blame it on the midgets with "phil sucks" painted on their collective asses.

bri
6/21/2006, 03:24 PM
Heh, nice thread synergy...:D

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 03:25 PM
CHOKE!!!!!

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1175/phil8af.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/21/2006, 03:26 PM
:les: THEY'RE LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!

toast
6/21/2006, 03:27 PM
I blame Phil's poor shot selection on Chuck Long.

nope, if it had been CL's fault then every message board user would have known the club selection and outcome way before it happened. ;)

King Crimson
6/21/2006, 03:30 PM
nope, if it had been CL's fault then every message board user would have known the club selection and outcome way before it happened. ;)

if you watched the TV coverage it wasn't too far off from that....

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 03:31 PM

No, if CL was in charge, Phil would have run the ball right down the middle. Then when he got to the green, he would refuse to use his putter.

toast
6/21/2006, 03:32 PM
yeah, I thought about putting "wait a minute..." at the end but couldn't pull the trigger.

C&CDean
6/21/2006, 04:00 PM
:les: THEY'RE LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!

Little people with little asses. That say "phil choked."

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 04:07 PM
Thought this thread was locked?

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2006, 04:12 PM
Thought this thread was locked?

It was. Keep up.

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 04:16 PM
It was. Keep up.

Thats what she said.

I got nuffin'.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/21/2006, 04:27 PM
Little people with little asses. That say "phil choked."

Their little asses looks like two little hams under a napkin.

:meat:

Stanley1
6/21/2006, 04:31 PM
What'd you say CVS? :mad: :)

C&CDean
6/21/2006, 04:31 PM
Somebody remind me again why I reopened this POS.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/21/2006, 04:35 PM
Somebody remind me again why I reopened this POS.

Mmm, ham...

C&CDean
6/21/2006, 04:46 PM
No, it was more like hairy....