PDA

View Full Version : AD and Bomar on Maxwell Award Watch List

tnraider1
6/15/2006, 08:24 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted. I guess people were paying more attention to Bomar than we thought. Way to go guys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2484583

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson and quarterback Rhett Bomar are on the 60-player watch list for the Maxwell Award, which was announced Wednesday.

The 70-year-old award is presented annually to college football's top player. Peterson was a finalist for the award as a freshman in 2004 and appeared on last year's watch list as well. He's rushed for 3,033 yards in two seasons with the Sooners.

Bomar set Oklahoma freshman records for completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns last season and was named the offensive most valuable player of the Holiday Bowl, in which the Sooners beat Oregon 17-14.

Oklahoma has produced two Maxwell winners -- Tommy McDonald in 1952 and Jason White in 2004.

Also on the watch list is Norman High School product Zac Taylor, the starting quarterback at Nebraska.

GDC
6/15/2006, 09:01 AM
Where's Rufus?

BASSooner
6/15/2006, 09:39 AM
eh im not bummed for rufus not being on the maxwell watch list. I just hope he gets that butkus trophy.

Octavian
6/15/2006, 10:52 AM
Oklahoma has produced two Maxwell winners -- Tommy McDonald in 1952 and Jason White in 2004.

I think McDonald's was in 56.

Octavian
6/15/2006, 10:53 AM
oh, yeah...good job you two :O

Snrfn4ever08
6/15/2006, 11:25 AM
if bomar even plays close to the level of a maxwell candidate, we'll be unstoppable.

BOOMER SOONER

OUfan7
6/15/2006, 07:09 PM
Should be fun to watch. Hellacious 1-2 punch!!!

CatfishSooner
6/15/2006, 08:39 PM
Go AD and Bomar!!!!

snp
6/15/2006, 10:32 PM
Chuck Long won it in '85 as well.

Texas Golfer
6/16/2006, 09:24 AM
Congratulations, AD and Rhett, and good luck.

Herr Scholz
6/16/2006, 10:14 AM
Interesting. 10 TDs and 10 INTs warrants a Maxwell nomination now. Who knew?

Does anyone seriously think Bomar belongs on that list?

Scott D
6/16/2006, 10:16 AM
settle down Herr, it's just a 'watch list' not a 'finalists list'. It holds about as much merit as any other preseason list.

swardboy
6/16/2006, 11:17 AM
Help me here...I can't think of a freshman starting at QB before. My OU memories are better long-term than, say '90's or late '80's....aside from maybe Holloway. But he wasn't going for passing yards really.

GDC
6/16/2006, 11:19 AM
That's exactly the kind of whorn post this board would be better off without.

Herr Scholz
6/16/2006, 11:23 AM
That's exactly the kind of whorn post this board would be better off without.
Answer the question. Do you honestly believe he belongs on that list? Do you think anyone but a Sooner fan would answer yes to that question?

GDC
6/16/2006, 11:29 AM
**** the Maxwell, Bomar wins the Heisman if AD doesn't.

tnraider1
6/16/2006, 12:46 PM
Answer the question. Do you honestly believe he belongs on that list? Do you think anyone but a Sooner fan would answer yes to that question?

Going by his numbers from last year, the answer is no.

Going by his potential for this year, I would say yes. Apparently it's not just Sooner fans who think this. Somehow I doubt that the "Maxwell Award Committee" is composed of nothing but Oklahoma Alumni. This kid has some skills, and you'll get a first hand look at them this year.

soonerhubs
6/16/2006, 12:50 PM
**** the Maxwell, Bomar wins the Heisman if AD doesn't.
GDC hit the nail right on the head. Give him flack but he's bound to give Texas's D some hell this year.

Herr you just worry about getting your QB ready to take his first snap.

oumartin
6/16/2006, 01:03 PM
wheres kelly and inglesias?

Octavian
6/16/2006, 02:23 PM

Apparently the people who composed the list say yes.

If people only choose to remember the SportCenter highlights from early in the year and discount the factual progress of Bomar late in the year...ok.

He's the returning bowl MVP on a team who's being ranked in the Top5 by most preseason publications.

I've seen crazier stuff.

chbrew09
6/16/2006, 03:36 PM
yeah...this is good

Herr Scholz
6/16/2006, 04:17 PM
GDC hit the nail right on the head. Give him flack but he's bound to give Texas's D some hell this year.
Did he learn to throw from the prone position?

Herr you just worry about getting your QB ready to take his first snap.
You're right, I guess I've been slacking off in my offseason coaching. Better whip those two into shape! ;)

OUfan7
6/17/2006, 09:16 AM
Come on Herr, was'nt Chrissy on a few preseason list's before he squatted in the endzone and whizzed on himself when "Superman" hit him like a Patriot Missile???

Texas Golfer
6/17/2006, 09:47 AM

Apparently. Maybe after he torches UT with 500 passing yards this year, you will think he belongs on the list, too. :D

goingoneight
6/18/2006, 04:20 PM

www.soonerscooter.com Watch the "rising stars" video and the Holiday Bowl video and you'll see Bomar is indeed THE MAN under center this season. His only interception in the HB was thrown into double coverage and the reciever bobbled it up. Your team would be wise not to take him so lightly in 2006...

You're right, I guess I've been slacking off in my offseason coaching. Better whip those two into shape! ;)

Good point.

soonerhubs
6/18/2006, 04:44 PM

Heh! That first line is just good ole classic smack talk that I laughed at. The other line? Well coach... Get'er done! :) ;)