PDA

View Full Version : Michael Thompson

MiccoMacey
6/14/2006, 06:55 PM
I've been watching the 2000 season and just finished the NC game aginst FSU when it struck me that MT was, I believe, a freshman that season.

How bad-a$$ would he have been, and how much more could he have brought to our teams if he hadn't been injured?

He had some absolutely great plays for us, and I wish we could have seen him play for three more years. I bet he'd rival Derrick Strait as one of our better cover corners ever.

BTW, when I saw him catch the throw on the fake punt against 'Bama in 2003 I nearly cried like a school girl. It was sooo good to see him back on the field.

TheGodfather889
6/14/2006, 08:15 PM
It was very unfortunate that Michael Thompson had injury problems. He was on his way to becoming a star here.

sendbaht
6/14/2006, 08:18 PM
I will always hold a place for this young man in my sport heart.
I really wish he could have played more, but.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2006, 08:25 PM
i work with his sister, they're great people....

oumartin
6/14/2006, 08:26 PM
don't ever forget that strip he had against the Texas wide receiver.. It was freakin' awesome!!!!!!!

LoyalFan
6/14/2006, 09:19 PM
Can someone tell us where he is now and how/what he's doing in life?
Did he finish a degree?
In short, is he OK? Hope so.

LF

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2006, 09:44 PM
he works for wells fargo, and has his degree, he's doing well

olevetonahill
6/14/2006, 09:54 PM
Didnt Bob Stoops keep him on scholly ?
The dude was an OU stud . I wish him the best.;)

oumartin
6/14/2006, 10:19 PM
yeah, i'm sure bob kept him on scholly. that bob has a heart of gold.
i miss the first 5 years of bobs program.

picasso
6/14/2006, 10:22 PM
you sure? I saw him a few weeks ago on tv working for the Tulsa PD. some kind of office detective type work.

I rode the elevator with him and D Strait at the hotel in KC in 2000. good kids.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2006, 10:46 PM
ok, well he DID work for wells fargo

his sister got moved to our other building, so i havent talked to her as of late, so its possible he's doing something else

she took my OU helmet home with her last christmas and got him to autograph it for me

Big John
6/15/2006, 08:28 AM
I've been watching the 2000 season and just finished the NC game against FSU when it struck me that MT was, I believe, a freshman that season.
Thompson was a sophomore that season. He played as a true freshman in 1999. He received a medical red shirt after getting into the car accident which may have been the reason you thought he was a freshman that season.

MiccoMacey
6/15/2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I just know he'd have been a great one.

Glad to hear he's doing fine working for the Tulsa Police Department while working for Wells Fargo doing office detective type work. ;)

SkipTracer
6/16/2006, 06:58 AM
I remember the fine treatment he recieved from the Poke fans........bastages:mad:

CtheB
6/16/2006, 07:30 AM
During that 2000 season, he progressed so much. If I remember correctly, his progress is what allowed Woolfolk to be moves around a little bit in pass coverage. And the game he had against FSU was darn near perfect. By that time, Strait had developed a rep as a cover corner, and nearly everything that game went to Thompson's side.

Seriously...Strait, Woolfolk, Thompson, Thatcher, Everage and, of course, TRRW, with a little dash of Ontei. When you talk Dback talent at the college level, I'm not sure it gets any better than that, especially with MStoops coaching the position. We still haven't matched it.

GDC
6/16/2006, 09:01 AM
Always makes me think of Andre Johnson and what might have been.

picasso
6/16/2006, 06:38 PM
Thompson gets beat on a short post in KC in 2000 and promptly strips the ball.
we were freaking hawks that year, offense and defense.

also, I'm 100% positive I saw him on the local news. he now works for the Tulsa PD.

starclassic tama
6/17/2006, 01:56 AM
Always makes me think of Andre Johnson and what might have been.

which andre johnson?

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/17/2006, 05:58 AM
the one that got into the car wreck with keith stanberry and never played for OU again.