PDA

View Full Version : What is this "World Cup" I keep hearing about?

OU4LIFE
6/14/2006, 03:47 PM
Anyone?

Is it something that will protect the worlds nether regions from a cosmic fastball?

Hamhock
6/14/2006, 03:48 PM
No idea.

walkoffsooner
6/14/2006, 04:24 PM
about like paper rock game

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2006, 04:26 PM
i know one thing, you cant put water......or any other liquid in it

cup.....pffftt.......

SicEmBaylor
6/14/2006, 04:27 PM
It has to do with some candy-*** European sport that no self-respecting American man would ever participate in or even watch.

You'd be well advised to stay away.

bri
6/14/2006, 04:29 PM
It's like golf, only boringer. :D

King Crimson
6/14/2006, 04:35 PM
it's like even more commie than John Kerry and Al Gore and wearing sandals. (like that would be possible).

GottaHavePride
6/14/2006, 05:04 PM
What's wrong with sandals? I'm wearing sandals.

;)

C&CDean
6/14/2006, 05:05 PM
What's wrong with sandals? I'm wearing sandals.

;)

You answered your own question.

Scott D
6/14/2006, 05:07 PM
It's wronger than trying to saw off ol Gus because your FIL screwed up

OU4LIFE
6/14/2006, 05:24 PM
it's like even more commie than John Kerry and Al Gore and wearing sandals. (like that would be possible).

wearing sandals while playing golf......

Shamrock
6/14/2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone?

Is it something that will protect the worlds nether regions from a cosmic fastball?
If someone put a gun to your head and said you'd have to choose between World Cup or WNBA, then you'd say .... "Shoot me."

rebmus
6/14/2006, 07:00 PM
the "world cup" was the only cup big enuff for my "johnson" when i played ball.

VeeJay
6/14/2006, 07:09 PM
Several soccer melees are supposed to be at some swanky new stadium about 20 miles outside of Cologne, Germany.

The travel section in my local paper Sunday had an article on Cologne, referring to it as a "fashionable town full or partiers and a vibrant gay night life."

Well, it's also a city on the Rhine River dating back to 1200 AD full of heterosexual whorehouses and beer gardens and a gigantic cathedral (Dom). Not that I would know any of this firsthand.

lefty
6/14/2006, 07:15 PM
That's easy. It's the "Cup O' the World."

VeeJay
6/14/2006, 07:30 PM
Uh Oh. Mayhem Already. (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1224662,00.html)

Soccer fan:
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1416661.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz

TUSooner
6/14/2006, 08:30 PM
How about wearing sandals WITH SOX. :eek:

HskrGrl
6/14/2006, 10:00 PM
Uh Oh. Mayhem Already. (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1224662,00.html)

Soccer fan:
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1416661.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Something I noticed from that article... The game was 90 minutes long (or could of been longer I guess) and the final score was 1-0!! WTF! I think I would rather watch Gigli than that crap!

Octavian
6/14/2006, 10:12 PM
Pete Fiutak from CFN.com

Republicans, democrats, liberals, conservatives, gays, bible thumpers, black, white, Hispanic, men, women, children, cats, dogs … we’re all united as one America on this one issue: soccer sucks.

Let me guess, your soccer hooligan co-workers fired out a “you just don’t understand” line at you when it comes to the World Cup. That’s the last bastion of the desperate when it comes to sports arguments. We do understand. Nothing happens for 86 minutes, and then, once in a while, someone gets to take a shot on a goal that’s as big as Arkansas.

I still want to know exactly what makes the sport so great, and no one can explain it properly. Ask me why American football is the best sport in the world and I can go on for 25 minutes about the intricacies of each position, the combination of violence, speed, athleticism, skills, the style of the game with the ability for something huge to happen on every snap of the ball, and the pacing with a nice flow with pauses in between the action allowing just enough time to analyze, second guess, and look forward to the next play without coming to a screeching halt. We get soccer, we just don’t like it.

I’m guessing you’ve also gotten the “it’s the biggest thing in the rest of the world” whine. Whatever. Tell the rest of the World Cup entrants (other than Germany) to get a real gross national product and then call me. Just because a lot of people prefer something, that doesn’t make it right. A billion Chinese people still use chopsticks.

Go to any remote part of the world that has a TV and you’ll find a Friends rerun. We do entertainment better than anyone else, and we know good sports from bad. There’s a reason football is America’s most popular sport; we know better.

Look, if you’re into soccer, knock yourself out. Everyone likes what they like. Just quit beating us over the head because we don’t buy into the boredom.

Amen.

silverwheels
6/14/2006, 10:39 PM
Generic "soccer sucks" comment...

AllAboutThe'O'
6/15/2006, 12:17 AM
Where's that guy that posted a few times earlier this year that bashed anyone who dared knock soccer? I think he lived in Spain.

silverwheels
6/15/2006, 12:22 AM
Where's that guy that posted a few times earlier this year that bashed anyone who dared knock soccer? I think he lived in Spain.

I live in Oklahoma City, actually...

AllAboutThe'O'
6/15/2006, 12:27 AM
Found him. Palermo10, whose location was Madrid.