PDA

View Full Version : People with a first name for a last name

royalfan5
6/14/2006, 03:25 PM
It's commonly thought here in the Upper Plains that you shouldn't trust a person with a first name for a last name eg, Josh Bobb, or Charles James. I was just curious if this piece of "wisdom" had spread beyond my area.

Hamhock
6/14/2006, 03:28 PM
100% agree

Johnny Mack

:D

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 03:36 PM
and people that have any of their names that are terms for female genitals.

Hamhock
6/14/2006, 03:37 PM
and people that have any of their names that are terms for female genitals.

Mulva?

OUinFLA
6/14/2006, 06:36 PM
My last name is more common as a first name.
When I give it, the usual response is a "are you stupid" look and the question...... "and your last name?"

My first name is common as a last name.
Most tend to reverse the two.

Once the phone company did that in my listing. That was back when you paid money to "not be listed".
I just left it as it was and when anyone called for Mr. "First Name". I knew it was a solicitor and just replied " He's dead, good-bye".

lefty
6/14/2006, 06:40 PM
I used to work for a guy named Donald David. The running joke was to try and guess how someone would screw it up. He routinely brought in junk mail with all sorts of ways that people had messed it up. And good times were had by all.

Rogue
6/14/2006, 06:47 PM
Never heard that bit o' wisdom.

Newbomb Turk
6/14/2006, 06:49 PM
Never heard that bit o' wisdom.

Me neither - and I grew up in the Upper Plains.

lefty
6/14/2006, 06:55 PM
My last name is more common as a first name.
When I give it, the usual response is a "are you stupid" look and the question...... "and your last name?"

My first name is common as a last name.
Most tend to reverse the two.

Once the phone company did that in my listing. That was back when you paid money to "not be listed".
I just left it as it was and when anyone called for Mr. "First Name". I knew it was a solicitor and just replied " He's dead, good-bye".

My wife kept her real name when we married. Now, it is not unusual to have some call, and when I answer say "Good evening Mr. (insert wife's last name here). I can then honestly say, "Sorry, nobody here by that name." She does the same when referred to as Mrs. (insert my last name here). Always hilarious.

rebmus
6/14/2006, 06:59 PM
i served in the army with a john dewayne george... 3 first names. i always thought that was strange.

good guy, but strange name

lefty
6/14/2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry to do a bit of a threadjack royalfan, but not sorry enough to do it anyway. Many years ago a friend and I had a commercial window washing company (the two of us). We had contracts with all of the Safeways and Arbys in the Tulsa metro. In addition, we would pick up other storefronts as we did our routes. We wanted a cool name and chose "Hobart and Jackson." Neither of use was Hobart or Jackson. We didn't have a checking account (for tax reasons:D ). When we would go to the issuing bank to cash said check, they would always ask for identification. I would show my driver's license and my partner would show his. Invariably we would be asked who Hobart and Jackson were. We would, of course, respond" "Why it is us!" The looks on the tellers faces were always to be treasured. It was not always easy to cash the checks, but we always did.

SoonerInKCMO
6/14/2006, 07:11 PM
i served in the army with a john dewayne george... 3 first names. i always thought that was strange.

good guy, but strange name

Nothin' wrong with three first names.

booomer
6/14/2006, 07:15 PM
I'm one of those people that has what's typically a first name as a last name.....

lefty
6/14/2006, 07:25 PM
I guess I have all sorts of "names" stories. In any event, my first name was quite uncommon when I was a kid. As such, I never met anyone with the same first name. It wasn't until I was almost 50 that I ever stood face to face with someone with the same name as mine. It was confusing. It has become a bit more common of late. Still haven't met anyone else, however.

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 08:52 PM
I knew a guy in business school whose first and middle names were both Roy. The guy was smart as hell and is still on Wall Street making a fortune selling debt derivitives.

Roy Roy Williams

walkoffsooner
6/14/2006, 09:00 PM
I work with Alan Curtis Terry.You can trust him with your billfold or wife.

Jimminy Crimson
6/14/2006, 09:12 PM
I hate you. :mad:

AlbqSooner
6/14/2006, 09:35 PM
I guess I have all sorts of "names" stories. In any event, my first name was quite uncommon when I was a kid. As such, I never met anyone with the same first name. It wasn't until I was almost 50 that I ever stood face to face with someone with the same name as mine. It was confusing. It has become a bit more common of late. Still haven't met anyone else, however.
At Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, there is a viewing site overlooking the "Moccasin Bend" of the Tennessee River. Atop the mountain at that site is a large stone with a large brass plaque listing the names of the Tennessee soldiers who died in that battle. My name, First, Middle and Last is on that plaque. Pretty eerie feeling to read that.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/14/2006, 09:42 PM
Well I went to high school with a guy named William Williamson

good times...

OUinFLA
6/14/2006, 09:56 PM
Major Major Major Major

lefty
6/14/2006, 10:07 PM
At Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, there is a viewing site overlooking the "Moccasin Bend" of the Tennessee River. Atop the mountain at that site is a large stone with a large brass plaque listing the names of the Tennessee soldiers who died in that battle. My name, First, Middle and Last is on that plaque. Pretty eerie feeling to read that.

Well, to continue the threadjack, your feeling of "eerieness" leads to questions I have been considering for a long time. I seems to me, (no empirical evidence to back it up), a person's name has some kind of effect on how he/she perceives of him/herself. I named my daughter after my grandmother. My daughter is only the second person in the world (as far as we know) that has ever had this name. That she is the only person who will ever have that name makes her feel special, but also all alone. As we all know, being "special" is not always a positive when one is a teenager. She seems at times to resent her name. It is always mispronounced, misspelled, and always questioned. I keep trying to convince her that in the long run she will be happy that she, and only she, will have her name. That reasoning doesn't make her particularly content. My question has to do with the extent to which one wants to be easily identified or one wants to be easily anonymous. Any thoughts?

KC//CRIMSON
6/14/2006, 10:13 PM
Ricky Bobby

olevetonahill
6/14/2006, 11:35 PM
I have been called " *******bastarddelux " does that count ?