PDA

View Full Version : Pay off the national debt instantly?

slickdawg
6/14/2006, 10:56 AM
Sell Puerto Rico to the Chinese for $10 trillion.

OUDoc
6/14/2006, 10:58 AM
Why not texas?

slickdawg
6/14/2006, 10:59 AM
It's too important for the US. A large portion of our defense infrastructure is
manufactured there. then there is oil......

NormanPride
6/14/2006, 11:00 AM
Getting rid of Aggies, Whorns, and Technerds forever > *

MiccoMacey
6/14/2006, 11:02 AM
manufactured there. then there is oil......

I still like the trade off.

mdklatt
6/14/2006, 11:08 AM
manufactured there. then there is at least half of our football team...

Fixed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/14/2006, 11:13 AM
What's in it for us to pay off our National Debt?

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:15 AM
Nevermind the fact that we consider China a rival at best, and a potential enemy at worst. Do you really want to give them the opportunity to build, say, a major naval base in the Carribean?

jeremy885
6/14/2006, 11:29 AM

131 billion a year in interest payments.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:37 AM
131 billion a year in interest payments.

Representing about 10% of all federal receipts.

(in case you're not paying attention, that represents a 10% permanent, across the board tax cut just waiting to happen.)

slickdawg
6/14/2006, 11:38 AM

Over $100 billion a year in interest alone

Plus there's no reason taxes can't be lowered then, as we are debt free.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 11:39 AM
Representing about 10% of all federal receipts.

I don't know about you but where I live people don't take percentages as payments for anything. They are however very happy to take money as payment.

slickdawg
6/14/2006, 11:40 AM
Nevermind the fact that we consider China a rival at best, and a potential enemy at worst. Do you really want to give them the opportunity to build, say, a major naval base in the Carribean?

We can nuke just as hard and often as they can nuke us. Why worry?
The Chinese Navy is not, nor will ever be a match for the US Navy.

Beef
6/14/2006, 11:42 AM
I would just be happy to see a race of Chinese-Puerto Rican hotties. Them would be some damn fine tacos.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:46 AM
We can nuke just as hard and often as they can nuke us. Why worry?
The Chinese Navy is not, nor will ever be a match for the US Navy.

1. Who said anything about nukes?
2. If we assume that they are hostile, a Chinese naval base essentially right off of our coast requires that we keep forces in a position to respond to them. Over time, this fact alone will cost us at least the ten trillion you're talking about getting out of Puerto Rico.

Seriously, why do you think Kennedy went to bat over Cuba? We simply cannot permit another superpower to build up military force like that so close to our own borders.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 11:47 AM
don't we currently let the Chinese use some Naval facilities and ports in CA?

IB4OU2
6/14/2006, 11:47 AM
I would just be happy to see a race of Chinese-Puerto Rican hotties. Them would be some damn fine tacos.

Yep, but you'd be hungry within an hour after eating a few....

slickdawg
6/14/2006, 11:52 AM
1. Who said anything about nukes?
2. If we assume that they are hostile, a Chinese naval base essentially right off of our coast requires that we keep forces in a position to respond to them. Over time, this fact alone will cost us at least the ten trillion you're talking about getting out of Puerto Rico.

Seriously, why do you think Kennedy went to bat over Cuba? We simply cannot permit another superpower to build up military force like that so close to our own borders.

That was the height of the cold war days, the McCarthy era, the "evil
commies". Our successful demoinstrations of nukes ensured they won't be
used again.

We may as well settle the debt with them, I forget how many of our trillions
in debt they OWN.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:52 AM
don't we currently let the Chinese use some Naval facilities and ports in CA?

I don't know, but even if it is, it's not the same. If we don't like what they're doing, we kick them out. It's our sovereign soil, and our right to do so. You sell Puerto Rico to China, you don't have that ability except by force.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 11:53 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you at all

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:55 AM
That was the height of the cold war days, the McCarthy era, the "evil commies". Our successful demoinstrations of nukes ensured they won't be used again.

And that's relevant because? That doesn't change the fact that we can't afford to have another superpower (which China is likely to be in 20-30 years) building a powerbase so close to our home.

We may as well settle the debt with them, I forget how many of our trillions in debt they OWN.

I agree. But pay them with land holdings in the Pacific, if you must pay with land holdings, or pay them in cash. Don't pay them with land holdings in the western hemisphere.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 11:57 AM
I say that we pay them with surface rights in Alaska.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 11:59 AM
I would probably be fine with paying them by selling them ground-based armaments -- tanks, artillery, small arms, etc.

If we make sure to maintain naval and air superiority, it won't mean much if they try to use them against us.

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 12:00 PM
And Ninnekah, OK. They can have it.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2006, 12:38 PM
And that's relevant because? That doesn't change the fact that we can't afford to have another superpower (which China is likely to be in 20-30 years) building a powerbase so close to our home.

Um, they're pretty much there already. Economically they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Vaevictis
6/14/2006, 01:38 PM
Um, they're pretty much there already. Economically they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Matter of opinion. I require that a superpower have, you know, a superpower military. China doesn't (yet).

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 01:39 PM
China could beat us by surrendering.

toast
6/14/2006, 01:41 PM
We'll never go to war against China, Wal-Mart wouldn't let us.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/14/2006, 02:50 PM
131 billion a year in interest payments.Why is it you think the US hasn't paid off the National Debt yet, to prevent those interest costs from accruing?