PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day gift ideas

IronSooner
6/14/2006, 09:08 AM
Anybody got any? I'm clueless this year.

etouffee
6/14/2006, 09:11 AM
you don't have to get me anything. i'm not really your dad, i was just messin with ya.

6/14/2006, 09:12 AM
Buy him a puppy.

Actually, Father's Day is pretty easy. Most dads appreciate a phone call or visit, and they don't want you to BUY anything for them. Maybe you can do some chores for him.

IronSooner
6/14/2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah I used to go the "spend time with" route, but that's a little harder being a couple states away. Best I can do now is a phone call and maybe getting an undocumented worker to do some chores in my place.

nmsoonergirl
6/14/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm getting my dad a fancy smancy Santoku knife and a cast iron dutch oven. Father's day is always harder for me than mother's day because you pretty much lose the flowers option.

Unless you are lid's kid...;)

MamaMia
6/14/2006, 09:50 AM
OU football type books are always a good gift.

Taxman71
6/14/2006, 10:06 AM
I'm getting my dad a dutch oven.

TMI!!!

sooneron
6/14/2006, 10:09 AM
How about Trophy Club tickets to the US Open? heh

Soonrboy
6/14/2006, 10:10 AM
I told my wife I wanted her to hire some body to do the yard a couple of times. Yes!!!!!!!

IB4OU2
6/14/2006, 11:22 AM
I just want to play a round of golf and not have to grill something on Sunday, but this Sunday we have to attend a freaking wedding in Norman. :(

NormanPride
6/14/2006, 11:25 AM
Liquor. YWIA.

King Crimson
6/14/2006, 11:25 AM
I'm getting my dad a fancy smancy Santoku knife and a cast iron dutch oven. Father's day is always harder for me than mother's day because you pretty much lose the flowers option.

Unless you are lid's kid...;)

score for dad. what brand of santoku....i've got my eye on a Global santoku once i get an extra 100$ to throw around on something i really don't need.

got my dad a book about Oklahoma golf course architect Perry Maxwell. Southern Hills, Prarie Dunes, Colonial....and is among the VERY FEW architects allowed to tinker with Augusta National....and even rebuild some greens.

Mjcpr
6/14/2006, 11:26 AM
I just want to play a round of golf and not have to grill something on Sunday, but this Sunday we have to attend a freaking wedding in Norman. :(

If you can't weasel out of a wedding on Father's Day, when can you?

IB4OU2
6/14/2006, 11:34 AM
If you can't weasel out of a wedding on Father's Day, when can you?

It's my nephews wedding, why they scheduled it on Fathers Day I'll never know.

nmsoonergirl
6/14/2006, 11:34 AM
score for dad. what brand of santoku....i've got my eye on a Global santoku once i get an extra 100$ to throw around on something i really don't need.

I'll prolly go with the global. Bought him a Wustof Chef's knife a few years ago, so I thought maybe a different brand for the santoku.
Or, do you think it'd be better to stick to one brand?

NormanPride
6/14/2006, 11:37 AM
I'll prolly go with the global. Bought him a Wustof Chef's knife a few years ago, so I thought maybe a different brand for the santoku.
Or, do you think it'd be better to stick to one brand?

Personally, I like sets of things. But I'm weird like that. If he's not picky, it shouldn't matter. It just irks me when I see different brands of utensils in a drawer.

King Crimson
6/14/2006, 11:40 AM
Wusthof is a great company (much better than Henckels--the extent that people OVERPAY for Henckels mid-line stuff at department stores all across this great land of ours....is amazing to me*)....but i 'd get the Global: japanese knife, japanese company. plus, the Globals are wicked cool looking, ya know?

*and if you don't get those German bad boys professionally wheel-sharpened once a year or so....once the edge is gone you might as well forget it unless you are a wizard with a steel sharpener.

edit: i can mos def see Pride's logic, as well.

nmsoonergirl
6/14/2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, our knife sharpening guy moved to the west side of town a few months ago (meaning he might as well have moved to California, cause we go to the west side about once every 3 years...). Our grocery store says they will sharpen knives, but I'm skeptical. the Mr. needs to get his Wustof's sharpened in the next few months.

King Crimson
6/14/2006, 11:53 AM
one thing you might try is going to a quality restaurant (between lunch and dinner service) and ask the chef or kitchen manager who they use as a cutlery service (if they do)....and you could get a name/number from them.

i'd be leary of the grocery store, as well.