mrowl
12/21/2003, 01:05 PM
this should be VERY easy.

Harry Beanbag
12/21/2003, 03:19 PM
You're right...Godfather.

Joe
12/21/2003, 03:30 PM
This is actually very hard. I absolutely love LotR, but because it's the flavor of the decade makes me wary to pick it. Indiana Jones and Star Wars are some badass movies for the ages.

Fred Garvin
12/21/2003, 03:38 PM
I want to fight the person who checked "Back to the Future".

Boarder
12/21/2003, 04:21 PM
Not easy at all. Star Wars by a nose over LOTR. A very small nose. Tiny, in fact.

mrowl
12/21/2003, 04:36 PM
I guess I should have classified which Star Wars trilogy. And I don't think Star Wars is even close.

Boarder
12/21/2003, 04:50 PM
I guess I should have classified which Star Wars trilogy. And I don't think Star Wars is even close.

Since the newer Star Wars trilogy is an abomination to the real Star Wars trilogy, there was no need to specify.

The original Star Wars had that specialness to it. Kind of like the 2000 OU season. It'll be impossible to recreate.

Frozen Sooner
12/21/2003, 05:37 PM
Those who did not choose Indiana Jones chose....poorly.

scotplum
12/21/2003, 05:47 PM

Agreed.

Fred Garvin
12/21/2003, 05:47 PM
The Temple of Doom brought the average down like Return of the Jedi does for Star Wars.

There are no weak links in the LOTR trilogy.

scotplum
12/21/2003, 05:53 PM
The Temple of Doom brought the average down like Return of the Jedi does for Star Wars.

There are no weak links in the LOTR trilogy.

Hard to argue with that. The Temple of Doom wasn't quite on par with 1 and 3 and LOTR is pretty consistent through all 3. I'll have to say that Indiana Jones will get more play time on my DVD hence my selection.

SoonerInKCMO
12/21/2003, 05:55 PM
I want to fight the person who checked "Back to the Future".

Bring it, Bubba!

:)

Fred Garvin
12/21/2003, 07:16 PM
What's the halfway point between KC and Tulsa?

Big Red Ron
12/21/2003, 08:14 PM
PEOPLE!!!

IT'S THE F'ING GODFATHER

proud gonzo
12/21/2003, 08:28 PM
ok, the matrix AS A TRILOGY wasn't THAT great, Back to the Future might have a chance if you only meant the FIRST ONE (because 2 and 3 sucked). As much as I love the ORIGINAL star wars trilogy its chance is shot to hell by episodes one and two, for a few simple reasons: 1) Jake Lloyd should die 2)Hayden Christiensen is a whinybitch 3) "Attack of the Clones", i mean come on, that's a very small step away from "Send in the Clones". and 4) JAR JAR.
Why would I want the mafia when i could have the Fellowship? You CANNOT get more badass than that.

So the only tough choice is Indiana Jones vs. The Lord of the Rings.
True, Indiana Jones has some major points in its favor--Junior, Sean Connery, short round (you remember, Data from the Goonies--driving the car w/ blocks on his feet?), the snakes, the whip, the hat. And don't forget John Rhys-Davies
howEVER, the stupid screaming blonde (kate capshaw) in the second movie (the one with the monkey brains and no nazis) takes Indiana Jones from the running. (plus they're making a fourth one, so it will soon be a quadrillogy.)

RedstickSooner
12/21/2003, 08:48 PM

We bought the DVD boxed set the moment it came out.

We sold it in less than a week.

We had a hard time sitting through any of 'em -- it hadn't stood the test of time at all. That, or they just weren't films with any enjoyable nuggets to rediscover later. What you saw is what you saw -- and that's all you'll ever see.

The original Star Wars trilogy was true magic, and of a sort that'll never be recovered. Each film didn't just raise the bar for special effects -- it changed on a fundamental level what we thought was possible with special effects.

I remember waiting six hours in line with my dad as a little kid to catch Return of the Jedi. Thanks to modern policies of pre-selling tickets, you don't get that any more (standing in line just to buy tickets to a later showing, as some folks did for Phantom Menace and Loads of Bobafett's Dad, is just plain stupid) Hence, we'll never recapture the same sort of excitement that we did with the original Star Wars trilogy.

Which, it's worth mentioning, was merely the middle part of a nine-part series. It annoys the crap out of me that Lucas has tried so hard to act as if he never had any intention of doing episodes 7-9. Then again, maybe I should be thankful he doesn't plan to do them now.

Harrison Ford should get some retroactive awards for the dialogue he contributed to the original trilogy. Lucas should hire him for episode 3 -- assuming it isn't too late to save that one :D

crawfish
12/21/2003, 08:49 PM
Indiana Jones isn't a trilogy, it's a series. A trilogy has a single storyline.

In fact, in another year it'll be even LESS a trilogy.

mrowl
12/21/2003, 11:38 PM
lol, no votes for Matrix, I thought there would be one of you out there.

ultimatesooner1
12/22/2003, 12:07 AM
PEOPLE!!!

IT'S THE F'ING GODFATHER

I'll 2nd that

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/22/2003, 12:16 AM
Godfather III = Rocky V = Batman III to present = Superman III and IV

Shouda quit while they were ahead

afs
12/22/2003, 12:17 AM
just wait until the 3rd Dumb and Dumber movie is completed. then you'll see the best trilogy EVAR!

Blue
12/22/2003, 12:18 AM
PEOPLE!!!

IT'S THE F'ING GODFATHER

I thought the third one sucked? Haven't seen it, just asking.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/22/2003, 12:19 AM
= Karate Kid III

Blue
12/22/2003, 12:24 AM
=The Evening Star

What? It was totally not better than Terms of Endearment. Whatever!

Joe
12/22/2003, 01:59 AM
OK, after seeing The Return of the King, the answer was a little bit simpler. The wife and I wanted to cry when it was over. (but I didn't, Humpers)

mrowl
12/22/2003, 09:41 AM
my wife cried at like 3 different times in ROTK... I think I cried 5. :D

Soonerborn03
12/22/2003, 10:41 AM
Where's the slot for the Die Hard Trilogy? It wouldn't hang up there with the Godfather movies but if Back To The Future is up there then I think Die Hard could be.

scotplum
12/22/2003, 10:51 AM
Okay, I was wondering if people wanted to cry at the end of Return of the King (it was certainly drawn up for that effect). For whatever reason I wasn't wrapped up in it like that. I won't go into it any furthur for those that have yet to see it though.

C&CDean
12/22/2003, 11:21 AM
1. Father, Son, & Holy Ghost
2. Larry, Curly, & Mo
3. Manny, Mo, and Jack
4. Three Blind Mice
5. My Three Sons
6. Three Little Pigs
7. Dahm Triplets

Howzit
12/22/2003, 11:26 AM
Bud, Barry,and Bob.

Pricetag
12/22/2003, 11:33 AM
It's a really tough choice between Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and LOTR. I haven't yet seen Return of the King, but if that film is of the same quality as the first two (and I've heard it's even better), it is definitely worthy of consideration with Lucas' two franchises.

I picked Star Wars, though, probably because I was a kid when they came out, and they completely captivated me. It's probably not fair to LOTR, but the original Star Wars trilogy will always be my favorite.

SoonerInKCMO
12/22/2003, 04:06 PM
What's the halfway point between KC and Tulsa?

Heh... A little north of Carthage on US-71. Maybe I'll go a little more than halfway so we can stage the fight at the Precious Moments chapel. The little old ladies there wouldn't know WTF was going on.

Fred Garvin
12/22/2003, 04:56 PM
It's a pretty busy time of year. Plus, I wouldn't want you to have to explain to your family why you look like a giant bruise.

I'll get back to you mid-January.

Thanks.

Al Gore
12/22/2003, 10:09 PM
Monty Python?????

bri
12/22/2003, 10:23 PM
Right now, I'm going with LOtR. But as soon as Dean Cameron makes a third Ski School movie, my vote changes. :D

Boomerbrad
12/23/2003, 11:39 AM
What about Police Academy??? :mad: :p :mad: :p :mad:

Penguin
12/23/2003, 05:09 PM
http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~luiese/poster/back-future.jpg

XingTheRubicon
12/24/2003, 09:57 AM
Any movie where someone has their brother killed in
row boat in mid Hail, Mary..............well they've got
my vote.

bri
12/24/2003, 11:41 AM
If they had stopped at 3, I'd be willing to give Jaws an honorable mention vote. But Jaws: The Revenge is just unforgivable. :(

Big Red Ron
12/24/2003, 04:41 PM
I guess, I'm in the minority but I thought the first Lord of the Rings sucked ***, just before I fell asleep!

The Godfather is getting old, like dated and stuff but it is a better trilogy than the others. Not that the others are bad but better than, Brando, Pacino, DeNero, Kahn, Garcia, etc....??? Uhmmm NO!

Penguin
12/24/2003, 04:58 PM
Highlander

The first one was good, but they got really fruity with the other 2.

batonrougesooner
12/24/2003, 08:00 PM
I think I'll get out my Godfather box set and watch it tonight.

Godfather wins, hands down. End of thread.

76soonergrad
12/24/2003, 08:50 PM
The Lord of The Rings is classic & eternal.
The rest is pop culture.

SoonerBBall
12/24/2003, 10:35 PM
I talked with a friend on this one, and for me, it is very simple.

Best Trilogys of all time (in order):
1) Star Wars
2) Lord of the Rings

Best Adaptation Trilogy of all time:
1) Lord of the Rings

Star Wars is superior for the simple fact that it was all Lucas' ideas. I love LOTR as much as anybody else and will gladly hurt anyone who would like to suggest they aren't genius, but Peter Jackson, while directing a nearly flawless set of movies, inherited a great story. Besides, the special effects in Star Wars are still cool today, if George would've had today's technology to make the original trilogy, no-one would even be blinking an eye at LOTR.

Joe
12/24/2003, 11:42 PM
if George would've had today's technology to make the original trilogy, no-one would even be blinking an eye at LOTR.

Umm, dude...the new trilogy? No amount of technology can save that pos. Great piece of work right there.

Fred Garvin
12/25/2003, 10:59 AM
I'm a Star Wars fan from waaaay back. As a 9 year old, I walked to the movie theater almost every day to watch the afternoon matinee. I've seen each of the original trilogy over 100 times.

That said, the Star Wars trilogy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LOTR. They are worlds apart in every aspect. Lucas was more concerned about what characters would make good toys, and he totally went overboard with it. Jackson is a master story teller for whom Lucas isn't fit to be a butler.

LOTR may be too complicated for anyone under the age of 8, and for them Star Wars would be a good primer to get them ready for what I consider to be movie making art, the LOTR trilogy.

GDC
12/25/2003, 10:17 PM
What about Terminator, Mad Max, Die Hard, El Mariachi? They at least deserve consideration. I also can't believe on this board no one nominated Evil Dead.

LOTR is the obvious winner, mainly because Godfather III was not very good.

Pricetag
12/26/2003, 05:31 PM
That said, the Star Wars trilogy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LOTR. They are worlds apart in every aspect. Lucas was more concerned about what characters would make good toys, and he totally went overboard with it. Jackson is a master story teller for whom Lucas isn't fit to be a butler.

Poppycock. Indiana Jones, another of Lucas' brainchildren, is up on this list. Did you ever see Willow? All great stories, all Lucas ideas.

I think the reason so many people are so thrilled with the LOTR trilogy is that the movies did such a fine job of putting what they had imagined from the books up on the screen. The credit should go to Tolkien here, IMO.

Fred Garvin
12/26/2003, 09:08 PM
And thankfully, Lucas didn't direct any of the Indiana Jones movies, or Indy probably would have had a cute, furry little sidekick instead of Sean Connery. The Sean Connery doll just wouldn't have been as marketable.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/27/2003, 02:10 AM
Poppycock. Indiana Jones, another of Lucas' brainchildren, is up on this list. Did you ever see Willow? All great stories, all Lucas ideas.

I think the reason so many people are so thrilled with the LOTR trilogy is that the movies did such a fine job of putting what they had imagined from the books up on the screen. The credit should go to Tolkien here, IMO.

Both the Books and the movies are masterpieces.

You should not discredit Jackson for having a great story to work with.

If it's so easy to make a movie with a good story, then why do so many book adaptations suck?

In actuality, I would bet that the more detailed the book, the harder it is to make it into a movie. So many things that work well in books don't translate very well to the screen...

Jackson did a superb job.

However, you are right... the source material for the LOTR movies is a HUGE part of all the hub ub.

Doesn't discredit what Jackson was able to pull off, though.

As for Lucas... One word:

Howardtheduck

Blue
12/27/2003, 03:06 AM
Do you guys think reading the books after watching the movies would take away from them?

Fred Garvin
12/27/2003, 05:46 AM
No, I think it would make you appreciate more what an incredible job Jackson did on the films.

mosoon
12/27/2003, 08:05 AM
Ewoks killed Star Wars. Singing stuffed bears . . . pulease!

Godfather III killed Godfather. Sucky, suck suck.

1. LOTR - No signing bears.

2. Resevoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction.

3. Clerks, Mall Rats, Dogma

4. Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women and Children First

Big Red Ron
12/27/2003, 12:03 PM
Ewoks killed Star Wars. Singing stuffed bears . . . pulease!

Godfather III killed Godfather. Sucky, suck suck.

1. LOTR - No signing bears.

2. Resevoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction.

4. Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women and Children First

LOTR I = visual xanax. I was asleep within 30 minutes. ;)

SouthFortySooner
12/27/2003, 07:27 PM
The Last Picture Show
Texasville
Duane's Depressed by Larry McMurtry

GDC
12/27/2003, 07:48 PM
The Last Picture Show
Texasville
Duane's Depressed by Larry McMurtry

Dead's Man Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove

Ike
9/8/2006, 02:33 AM
When I saw this thread, I was thinking more along the lines of books than movies...so in that light, the best trilogy is, IMHO:
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

All 5 books of it.

Desert Sapper
9/8/2006, 03:03 AM
When I saw this thread, I was thinking more along the lines of books than movies...so in that light, the best trilogy is, IMHO:

All 5 books of it.

It...is...alive...

Nothing like a thread from three years ago to spice things up.

I agree. Doug Adams did some awesome comedic work in those books.

Octavian
9/8/2006, 04:04 AM
The Lord of The Rings is classic & eternal.
The rest is pop culture.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1463/rdhb7.png (http://imageshack.us)

...the Star Wars trilogy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LOTR.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4424/dviv4.png (http://imageshack.us)

Octavian
9/8/2006, 04:08 AM
nuthin' like talkin sci-fi smack at 4 in the morning to a couple of guys that don't post anymore :O

Desert Sapper
9/8/2006, 04:59 AM
http://www.seomoz.org/images/post_images/hitchhikers.jpg

Come on...what can compete with a series that begins with the Earth's destruction to make way for an intergalactic superhighway?

RacerX
9/8/2006, 06:20 AM
Kevin Smith's adaptation of the LOTR trilogy on Leno was nice.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2006, 06:42 AM
Godfather III = Rocky V = Batman III to present = Superman III and IV

Shouda quit while they were ahead

yeah i sorta agree with you, GF3 was weak,........but, the strength of the two before it makes me vote for The Godfather - hands down

if they had made a "weekend at bernie's 3".....i would have had a tougher time with this....

crawfish
9/8/2006, 07:29 AM
Indiana Jones isn't a trilogy, it's a series. A trilogy has a single storyline.

In fact, in another year it'll be even LESS a trilogy.

A year, heh. They're still talking about when they'll start to film this one.

Hatfield
9/8/2006, 07:35 AM
Since the newer Star Wars trilogy is an abomination to the real Star Wars trilogy, there was no need to specify.

The original Star Wars had that specialness to it. Kind of like the 2000 OU season. It'll be impossible to recreate.

this is a perfect explanation

1stTimeCaller
9/8/2006, 08:30 AM
:les: I WANNA VOTE FOR POLICE ACADEMY!!!

GottaHavePride
9/8/2006, 08:49 AM

All 5 books of it.

Heh. If you're going that route I think Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy would be a pretty good dark horse candidate.

Pricetag
9/8/2006, 09:05 AM
Do you guys think reading the books after watching the movies would take away from them?
Not at all. You get an expansion on a story you already love without any of the anger/disappointment of stuff that was in the book, but not in the movie.

I remember when Fellowship first came out and we were talking about it at work. My boss said it sucked, and somebody asked him why. He just held up his arms and said, "Tom Bombadil."

yermom
9/8/2006, 10:01 AM
me and a friend were talking Star Wars vs. LotR the other night

i think LotR is as close as this generation could get to another Star Wars, but i think it didn't/can't take over the culture like Star Wars did because of how fast Peter Jackson did them and released them

imagine letting each of those movies settle in for 3 years with toy, game and DVD sales before releasing another one.

i think LotR was probably a better collection of movies, but they didn't have the impact that Star Wars did.

Pricetag
9/8/2006, 10:13 AM
Good point. The time in between was a huge factor. I remember what a huge moment it was in Jedi when Leia thawed Han out. He had been frozen for three years.

NormanPride
9/8/2006, 10:31 AM
Heh. If you're going that route I think Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy would be a pretty good dark horse candidate.

Arthur C. Clarke's RAMA series? No love?

Oh, and what about the Blade trilogy? That one kicks a lot of ***. :D

GDC
9/8/2006, 10:40 AM
There's a foreign movie trilogy about drug dealers and other lowlifes in Copenhagen, the first one is called Pusher. It's kind of like Pulp Fiction, I recommend it if you can handle subtitles.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 10:49 AM
me and a friend were talking Star Wars vs. LotR the other night

i think LotR is as close as this generation could get to another Star Wars, but i think it didn't/can't take over the culture like Star Wars did because of how fast Peter Jackson did them and released them

imagine letting each of those movies settle in for 3 years with toy, game and DVD sales before releasing another one.

i think LotR was probably a better collection of movies, but they didn't have the impact that Star Wars did.

Don't forget that everyone was speculating what would happen in the next one as opposed to knowing what would happen in the LotR movies.

The sheer number of books that were written between Star Wars and Empire or Empire and Jedi that just got crap wrong was unbelievable. Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster was flat-out contradicted by Jedi.

stoopified
9/8/2006, 11:00 AM
Those who did not choose Indiana Jones chose....poorly.I heard that Frozen....Mike.

yermom
9/8/2006, 11:02 AM
of course you are talking about a pretty small percentage of people that actually read the books

it's not like most people read that genre, or at all ;)

heck, i only got through half of The Two Towers

OUstudent4life
9/8/2006, 11:12 AM
I refuse to recognize Godfather III as a part of the trilogy.

However, since I and II alone could kick the rear of the rest of those films, I'll still vote for it :D.

OUstudent4life
9/8/2006, 11:15 AM
Randall would be so, so sad with the way the voting is going.

All it was, was a bunch of people walking, three movies of people walking to a ******* volcano.

GDC
9/8/2006, 11:31 AM
Some other trilogies that might have been included, sorry for repeats.

Eastwood/Leone "spaghetti westerns"
Mad Max
Alien
Evil Dead
Terminator
Romero's original Dead trilogy

NormanPride
9/8/2006, 11:43 AM
I thought Evil Dead had one movie made twice and then a sequal?

sooner_born_1960
9/8/2006, 11:50 AM

Texas
Kansas State
Nebraska

Okieflyer
9/8/2006, 12:24 PM
But wouldn't Star Wars be a sextuplogy? ;)

I would have to go LotR!:D

Pricetag
9/8/2006, 01:33 PM
Don't forget that everyone was speculating what would happen in the next one as opposed to knowing what would happen in the LotR movies.

The sheer number of books that were written between Star Wars and Empire or Empire and Jedi that just got crap wrong was unbelievable. Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster was flat-out contradicted by Jedi.
Whoo boy. I read that thing about 20 years after the fact, and it just blew my mind how far off that guy was from what Lucas was thinking.

I'm assuming when you say "contradicted," you're talking about Luke's love interest for Leia, no?

Splinter didn't even hold up past Empire, if you ask me.

Vader, shot by a blaster? Leia duelling Vader with Luke's lightsaber and not being killed almost instantly? Luke owning Vader in a duel after recovering the weapon from Leia? Yikes.

mdklatt
9/8/2006, 01:38 PM

Jedi is way, way, way better than Temple of Doom.

mdklatt
9/8/2006, 01:42 PM

Even Kevin Smith admits that Mall Rats succs.

yermom
9/8/2006, 02:01 PM
Even Kevin Smith admits that Mall Rats succs.

Mallrats isn't up to the others, but it's still pretty good

that KID IS ON THE ESCALATOR AGAIN!

RacerX
9/8/2006, 03:20 PM
The 3-d poster gag was great.

What a stupid fad that was.

Octavian
9/8/2006, 03:22 PM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4089/untitleddr7.png (http://imageshack.us)

Best villain entrance evar

besides Shredder of course ;)

Pricetag
9/8/2006, 03:55 PM
I know you have been inconvenienced. . .

BudSooner
9/10/2006, 04:50 PM
The terminator series hands down, Ahnuld was badass even when he was torn the **** up!

there does need to be another "The Fly" movie though, you know.. complete the story but this time make it about some chick- "The Fly III:Yo mama is a maggot!!"