PDA

View Full Version : Chicago advice

OKLA21FAN
6/14/2006, 07:50 AM
So i am spending a couple of weeks in Chicago around the first half of July. Other than the obvious choices (Navy Pier, Wrigley Field, Sears Tower stuff) do any of you have some 'must see' things to do there?

IB4OU2
6/14/2006, 07:59 AM
My wife loved this place-

http://www.artic.edu/aic/index.php

BoogercountySooner
6/14/2006, 07:59 AM
Lots of Museums
Get a handgun and ride the El

etouffee
6/14/2006, 08:38 AM
2 things I always make a point to do in Chicago:

Eat at Brazzaz (http://www.brazzaz.com/). Same concept as Fogo de Chao but better.

In the extremely unlikely event that you are a collector and/or smoker of fine tobacco pipes, be sure to visit the Iwan Ries shop. ( I'm still in the doghouse over the bill from my last visit.:()

SoonerAcesUp
6/14/2006, 08:56 AM
I didn't get a chance to go there when I was there last fall but a friend of mine went to "The Second City" comedy club. They do improv comedy there and it's where many people from the good days of Saturday Night Live got their start in comedy. He said it was a great show and well worth the trip. The House of Blues is another great place to go. There's usually always some big name that is playing there.

IronSooner
6/14/2006, 09:07 AM
I went a couple years ago in July I think...they have an Air and Water show that's pretty cool - boats and stunt planes. I went up in the Hancock building right next to the lake and the planes flew about the same level as I was standing...great view of it all.

etouffee
6/14/2006, 09:07 AM
oh crap, i forgot to mention my favorite thing of all to do there: go to Buddy Guy's Legends.

sooneron
6/14/2006, 09:27 AM
Skip Bayless' brother supposedly has a good restaurant there...

1stTimeCaller
6/14/2006, 09:28 AM
see if they have a WalMart and if it's different than the ones around here.

King Crimson
6/14/2006, 09:29 AM
Skip Bayless' brother supposedly has a good restaurant there...

i think he's got more than one now. the first one is called Frontera.

BajaOklahoma
6/14/2006, 10:10 AM
Topolobampo is Rick's second restaurant. Topo requires reservations, Frontera does for 5 or more.
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaurants/geninfo.html
Links to make reservations, menus.

Rhino
6/14/2006, 12:58 PM
For a Molly Murphy's-type feel, try Ed Debevic's (http://featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/c-Ed_DebevicAns.shtml?E+scstore+debevic).

As for what to do:
Sneak into Wrigley Field through a maintenance entrance while the field crew is working. Don't even go near Comiskey Park. Then, try to sneak into Soldier Field, get caught twice, then just go up some elevator to a suite and hang out in there a while. Then, go the United Center and plead with a security guard to let you see the inside of the arena, which will probably have Ice Capades stuff all over. Then, go to Sears Tower and frown upon the admission price. Instead, go up the elevators on the business side for free. This especially works if you're in town to see OU play Notre Dame and you're in shorts, an OU shirt and hat and everyone else is in a suit and tie. If someone tells you that you're on the wrong side of the building, tell them, "No, I have a meeting up here, dude."

That's what I'd do.

Ike
6/14/2006, 01:48 PM
The Taste of Chicago will probably be going on when you arrive. It's worth it to check it out on at least one of the days.

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 02:26 PM
see if they have a WalMart and if it's different than the ones around here.

Actually, it is pretty landlocked. There are Wal-Marts, but mostly out in the burbs. Compare the Walgreens and CVS' instead. :D

BeetDigger
6/14/2006, 02:28 PM
To answer the question posed by the thread: Field Museum, Museum of Science and Insdustry, Aquarium and (my fave) the Institute of Art. They are all free on certain days (they used to be anyway). Sears Tower seems like a waste to me, but some folks like it.

Ike
6/14/2006, 02:50 PM
Actually, it is pretty landlocked. There are Wal-Marts, but mostly out in the burbs. Compare the Walgreens and CVS' instead. :D

there aren't a whole lot of wallyworlds in the burbs. Mostly targets instead.

GDC
6/14/2006, 02:51 PM
It was all downhill once Peter Cetera left.

OKLA21FAN
6/14/2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all

C&CDean
6/14/2006, 03:18 PM
oh crap, i forgot to mention my favorite thing of all to do there: go to Buddy Guy's Legends.

Winner.

Walk around downtown (Michigan Ave., State St., etc.), check out the groovy architecture, have a dog or gyro. Then go to Buddy's joint and drink heavily/get your face rocked off. That's how I roll when in Chicago.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/14/2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, muhfuggas!

etouffee
6/14/2006, 03:56 PM
Then go to Buddy's joint and drink heavily/get your face rocked off. That's how I roll when in Chicago.Last time we went, buddy was there (hanging out, not playing) and we got to take our picture with him and got him to autograph a cd for us. Dat was teh shiz.

C&CDean
6/14/2006, 04:02 PM
Last time we went, buddy was there (hanging out, not playing) and we got to take our picture with him and got him to autograph a cd for us. Dat was teh shiz.

There's a thread somewhere about my last trip to BG's. Good times....

Mjcpr
6/14/2006, 04:04 PM
Is that where you watched last night's NBA Finals game?