PDA

View Full Version : About OUr coach, THE MAN...

goingoneight
6/13/2006, 08:05 PM
I have noticed despite the rapid turnarounds Bob Stoops is known for and proven at OU, people still disrespect him. Websites call him a crock, a fake, a cheater. Some say he never gets his players to the next level, etc.

I'm starting to think that in his whole 7 1/2 years as an HC, people are only looking to one game he lost which happened--

1. In a National Championship (I guess all bad coaches can get into an MNC game)
2. Against what was supposedly "God's Team" SUC
3. And to add, his whipping toy Texass beat the SUC one year later.

Have they forgotten he's beaten the biggest football program in the USA five times in a row under a damn-good coach? Have they forgotten his days as a DC for Florida??? Have they forgotten him beating Bobby Bowden-- one of the greatest (definitely the winningest) coach of all time in CFL??? What about the three conference titles in the toughest conference (you know it is) to win a conference title???

Name one coach, if you will... ONE COACH who could turn around what we had in 1998 to make a National Titleist. Or one who could take that mess of a situation in 2005 (note: toughest schedule ever, played a MNC titleist on the road, injuries, most true freshmen starting in the country = inexperience, first year QB, injured key RB AD...) and beat a potential BCS candidate???

Figure that one out and I'll tell you why Stoops has the brightest future of all college football coaches OUt there. No matter WHO beats him.

What do you all think? Even some Hook 'em 's will agree this is getting a little ridiculous people downing him outside of Oklahoma.

birddog
6/13/2006, 08:08 PM
do you have a specific link or something?

goingoneight
6/13/2006, 08:16 PM
Well, not yet... I just figured someone else might have heard it. It's been on Fox Southwest a few times where they kindly refer to him as a "choke," and the usual other sites and people proclaiming he'd be lost without Texas HS ball. I don't recall K-State score or UF scores being so Tejas.
I'll find a few and get back to you, I just figured people were already hearing this stuff.

oumartin
6/13/2006, 08:17 PM
ask NickZep his feelings on Stoops..
Nick?
Nick?

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 08:35 PM
this is a suspicous post in my opinion. "turnarounds" (plural?), and i've never seen Stoops called a crook or a cheater on any of the other team boards i read....which are many.

to say OU under Stoops hasn't put players in the NFL is a joke.

snp
6/13/2006, 09:13 PM
No, I haven't. I've found that most people have the utmost respect for him and place him the top tier of coaches.

-----------------END THREAD HERE-----------------

CatfishSooner
6/13/2006, 10:50 PM
Stoops is the MAN...

soonervegas
6/14/2006, 10:01 AM
I found the link where he found all this negative "Bob" stuff:

www.hornfans.com

tnobis60
6/14/2006, 10:49 AM
As a horn and a regular on hornfans, I don't think anyone has any disrespect for Stoops, in fact, I think most hornfans think Stoops is a good coach and a good recruiter. (except the occasional blind hater). I think Stoops is a more than solid coach. Now, of course I like seeing his team lose, but that is beside the point. He carries himself well, and is well spoken in supporting the program, plus he wins.

I don't know where the original poster got his info, but my experience has been the opposite

Sonner magic923
6/14/2006, 11:20 AM
ya stoops for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheGodfather889
6/14/2006, 01:05 PM
It's a known fact of why people disrespect Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma football program. The last 5 years OU has been really good. They've been one of the best programs in the country and people hate that. People will jump on OU even if they play badly and still win! USC gets it. Texas is new to this so they'll get it soon. It's just how it is. The general college football fans who are fans of teams that really don't win anything hate the big boys of college football and their coaches.

Partial Qualifier
6/14/2006, 01:06 PM
As a horn and a regular on hornfans, I don't think anyone has any disrespect for Stoops, in fact, I think most hornfans think Stoops is a good coach and a good recruiter. (except the occasional blind hater). I think Stoops is a more than solid coach. Now, of course I like seeing his team lose, but that is beside the point. He carries himself well, and is well spoken in supporting the program, plus he wins.

I don't know where the original poster got his info, but my experience has been the opposite

c'mon Tommy, are you serious?? I mean he's been the focal point of disrespect on taht board for 6 years now. Expected, because we're bitter rivals of course, but I think you're going a little overboard. Those guys HATE Stoops.

And they've forgotten what a healthy Adrian Peterson is like :)

tnobis60
6/14/2006, 01:27 PM
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4245395&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

No, i don't think i am going overboard. Considering that we are bitter rivals, and we hate each other, the fact is a lot of the posts in this thread about stoops are positive. Of course there are negative ones, but that is to be expected from bitter rivals, but i say there are just as many positive ones as negative ones.

caphorns
6/14/2006, 01:47 PM
Most people think BS is a great motivator and possibly a defensive genius. He is clearly an excellent talent evaluator and an exceptional leader. He is unquestionably a very successful football coach. But he comes off as an @sshole personally and runs an extremely demanding system. He also does not appear to have much sensitivity toward player injuries and the like. To which I would say - who cares? He wins. Until proven otherwise, you'd be foolish not to list him as one of the top coaches in the game.

Octavian
6/14/2006, 02:23 PM
But he comes off as an @sshole personally and runs an extremely demanding system. He also does not appear to have much sensitivity toward player injuries and the like.

He's a leader. period.

He's not a running a kindergarten camp. His style and approach are consistent.

You won't see him dancing around during practices w/ his pink iPod or turning the reigns of his program over to the personality of one individual player. I like that in my football coach.

AzianSooner
6/14/2006, 02:30 PM
I think he should push his players to kick texass's asssssssres years after years.

TheGodfather889
6/14/2006, 03:22 PM
But he comes off as an @sshole personally and runs an extremely demanding system. He also does not appear to have much sensitivity toward player injuries and the like.
He just demands to win. He's not an *******. But he runs a tough system because he wants to win so badly. He has alot of pressure to win because of the expectations for the program and that huge salary he has. He really does care for his players alot but he demands alot from them too. Finally, I keep hearing about him playing players who have injuries and shouldn't be playing. Which players is everyone talking about? Adrian Peterson?

oumartin
6/14/2006, 03:38 PM
he's wasn't brought in to run a f****** church camp. he was brought in to win football games and he has done his job (cept that one time)

caphorns
6/14/2006, 04:18 PM
You guys are basically just confirming the same thing I just said.

On the flip side of thinking this is the best way to win, keep in mind that every top program has a tough guy like Stoops or should. They just aren't always the HC. You can win a NC without having a tough guy piloting the ship. But you almost always need somebody to push these kids. I really think Stoops old staff had a nicer mix of guys - particularly with Mangino/Leach at OC than the current staff. That helped counterbalance some of this stuff. But it's all a matter of personal style.

I agree with you guys completely that Stoops abilities should not be discounted given his very succesfull track record.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/14/2006, 05:33 PM
Have they forgotten he's beaten the biggest football program in the USA five times in a row under a damn-good coach?

Who are you referring to? I know you can't be referring to the whorns, so who is it?

goingoneight
6/14/2006, 07:53 PM
Who are you referring to? I know you can't be referring to the whorns, so who is it?

I'd call a guy who rebuilds an empire (rather I like it or not) after a 35 year drought a good coach, Vince or no Vince...

SoonerJLB
6/15/2006, 03:56 PM
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4245395&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

No, i don't think i am going overboard. Considering that we are bitter rivals, and we hate each other, the fact is a lot of the posts in this thread about stoops are positive. Of course there are negative ones, but that is to be expected from bitter rivals, but i say there are just as many positive ones as negative ones.

A couple of years ago, half of posters of hornfans.com where wanting to get rid of Mack and hire (1) Bob Stoops or (2) Mike Stoops. I actually remember threads titled "How much will it take to hire Bob Stoops as our coach" or something like that. There were actually horn posters debating how much Bob Stoops had left on his contract and what different bonus incentives were viable etc. It was pretty funny and very "Gator" like.

goingoneight
6/15/2006, 07:07 PM
A couple of years ago, half of posters of hornfans.com where wanting to get rid of Mack and hire (1) Bob Stoops or (2) Mike Stoops. I actually remember threads titled "How much will it take to hire Bob Stoops as our coach" or something like that. There were actually horn posters debating how much Bob Stoops had left on his contract and what different bonus incentives were viable etc. It was pretty funny and very "Gator" like.

I get that the program may offer more money, but why would Bob want to coach Hook 'em ??? I mean, he said several times before that he enjoyed following Switzer Ball and OU tradition. I find it hard to believe that he would embrace fans who cuss him OUt when all he's done is walked through the tunnel. Just like Royal, when you stand on the opposite side of the rivalry as an HC, you don't turn back. Besides, he makes more money than the governor! :eek: To have A+ facilities, great tradition, an adoring public, and a rich recruiting base (Oklahoma and Texas), why turn your back??? That would be like Mack coming back to OU after Ricky's Heisman in 1998, and Bob Stoops whooping his *** at OU. There, you have a bad situation, and ****ed off fans... ON BOTH SIDES.