PDA

View Full Version : Hey math/statistics wizards

85Sooner
6/13/2006, 01:56 PM
What is the formula for finding our the number of possible outcomes given a certain number of variables.

Ie:

Variables 1,2,3

answer 4

Ike
6/13/2006, 02:02 PM
ummm, you need to give more information.

in other words are you asking what are the number of possible ways to take n things some number of times?

because in the example you give, you leave out 3 possible outcomes:

anyway, these are called combinations when the order doesn't matter, and the formula for the number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time is:

C_n,r=n!/(r!*(n-r)!)

If the order does matter, then you are asking for permutations, in which case the number of permutations of n objects taken r at a time is equal to:

nPr=n!/(n-r)!

<edit> so, based on your example, you have asked then "how many combinations of the numbers 1, 2, and 3 exist that contain more than one number, for which the answer would be

C_3,2 + C_3,3 = 3!/(2!*1!) + 3!/3! = 3+1

Widescreen
6/13/2006, 02:03 PM
And while we're at it, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Toosie Pop?

OUinFLA
6/13/2006, 02:09 PM
oh, oh, oh.........
how many posts on SO does it take to make you realize you waste a lot of time on the internet?

Widescreen
6/13/2006, 02:12 PM

SCOUT
6/13/2006, 02:14 PM

in other words are you asking what are the number of possible ways to take n things some number of times?

anyway, these are called combinations when the order doesn't matter, and the formula for the number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time is:

C_n,r=n!/(r!*(n-r)!)

If the order does matter, then you are asking for permutations, in which case the number of permutations of n objects taken r at a time is equal to:

nPr=n!/(n-r)!

<edit> so, based on your example, you have asked then "how many combinations of the numbers 1, 2, and 3 exist that contain more than one number, for which the answer would be

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was going to say.:cool:

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/13/2006, 02:21 PM
Math is hard.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2006, 02:23 PM
Who's Math?

Hamhock
6/13/2006, 02:29 PM

C_n,r=n!/(r!*(n-r)!)

nPr=n!/(n-r)!

I was gonna say: Nerd!!

Oldnslo
6/13/2006, 04:57 PM
What happened to N (squared)?

I both read and didn't understand Ike's reply. I just have a vague and distant memory of the formula.

85Sooner
6/13/2006, 05:02 PM
Thank you, now that rings a bell!

OCUDad
6/13/2006, 05:20 PM
I both read and didn't understand Ike's reply.Funny -- neither did Ike. :D