PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Taxes (hotels, rental cars, etc.)

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 09:52 AM
Okay, I'm going on a business trip tomorrow to Houston. I've got a rental car and a hotel room for five days. Here is the miscellaneous tax information for renting a car in Dallas:

TEXAS PROPERTY TAX & LIC FEES $ 8.75 USD
AIRPORT ACCESS FEE $ 27.63 USD
ARENA TAX $ 12.44 USD
SALES TAX $ 28.88 USD

Here is the hotel tax rate in Houston:

Taxes: Sales of 17.00% per room per night is not included in the rate.

I'm always telling people to watch who you elect. Arlington hotel taxes will probably equal or exceed 17% since the city gave billionaire Jerry Jones the promise to pay for half of his new stadium. Sad.

jeremy885
6/13/2006, 09:56 AM
Isn't the point of these taxes to tax mainly people who don't live in the jurisdiction?

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 09:59 AM
Yes. And, even those who live or work in the jurisdiction. For example, my business is in Dallas County, but I'm not exempt from the miscellaneous taxes - even though politicians pitch these type of taxes as something visitors will pay.

Anyway, not a bitch post, just for information. Sad information.

Mjcpr
6/13/2006, 10:01 AM
THAT'S WHY I HATE THAT ****ING STATE, ALWAYS TRYING TO SCREW SOMEBODY!!!! IF I LIVED THERE, I'D MOVE!!! :texan:

hurricane'bone
6/13/2006, 10:02 AM
When I had a car rental in Phoenix, the percentage breakdown was:

15.1% - General Tax
o 5.6% - State Tax
o 0.7% – County Tax
o 3.8% - City Tax
o 5.0% - DMV Pass
3.25% - County Surcharge (stadium tax)
11.1% - Concession Airport Charge

Plus like 20 extra bucks a day since I'm under 25.

Hamhock
6/13/2006, 10:06 AM
THAT'S WHY I HATE THAT ****ING STATE, ALWAYS TRYING TO SCREW SOMEBODY!!!! IF I LIVED THERE, I'D MOVE!!! :texan:

But think of all the money you save on car insurance!! :texan:

IronSooner
6/13/2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah renting a car under 25 sucks...a lot of places won't do it unless you're married, in the military or work for some sort of corporation. Fortunately being a grad student counts. Taxes on rental cars are outrageous. "Just $20 a day" = $50.

mrowl
6/13/2006, 10:07 AM
FYI, the arlington hotel rate is 15.00%, after a 2% increase was added for the stadium.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 10:18 AM
FYI, the arlington hotel rate is 15.00%, after a 2% increase was added for the stadium.

Pretty close.

As to renting under 25, I'm plenty over 25, but understand that 25 is the magic age for male drivers in insurance company actuarial work. So, I'm guessing the inder 25 thing is to keep their insurance rates lower.

I don't mind living in Texas. I've lived in Texas and I've lived in Oklahoma. Both have affordable housing. Texas has a better job market and no state income tax. Yes, there is a property tax, but it's fully refundable on your federal return, so it ends up being a wash.

I'm just pointing out the various miscellaneous taxes local politicians put on people. All of this is business related, so it will be tax deductible, but I can imagine that folks taking family vacations get hit with this and prolly don't like it much.

picasso
6/13/2006, 10:26 AM
when I used to do art shows in Dallas I would get an update from the state auditor on new tax requirments. I'm talking about 10 page books in which one would need translation.:mad:

what is the tax on Spanktravision?

Hamhock
6/13/2006, 10:29 AM
Pretty close.

As to renting under 25, I'm plenty over 25, but understand that 25 is the magic age for male drivers in insurance company actuarial work. So, I'm guessing the inder 25 thing is to keep their insurance rates lower.

I don't mind living in Texas. I've lived in Texas and I've lived in Oklahoma. Both have affordable housing. Texas has a better job market and no state income tax. Yes, there is a property tax, but it's fully refundable on your federal return, so it ends up being a wash.

I'm just pointing out the various miscellaneous taxes local politicians put on people. All of this is business related, so it will be tax deductible, but I can imagine that folks taking family vacations get hit with this and prolly don't like it much.

I hate to be picky, but this isn't true. Real Estate taxes are deductible on your return, but since they are a tax DEDUCTION and not a tax CREDIT, they are not refunded 100%, but only to the extent of your federal tax rate. For example, if you pay $10,000 of property tax, and you pay 30% in taxes, you the property taxes save you $3,000, not $10,000.

i think ;)

jeremy885
6/13/2006, 10:42 AM
I hate to be picky, but this isn't true. Real Estate taxes are deductible on your return, but since they are a tax DEDUCTION and not a tax CREDIT, they are not refunded 100%, but only to the extent of your federal tax rate. For example, if you pay $10,000 of property tax, and you pay 30% in taxes, you the property taxes save you $3,000, not $10,000.

i think ;)

State income taxes are a deduction and not a credit either, so the effect is the same if you get to itemize.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 10:55 AM
State income taxes are a deduction and not a credit either, so the effect is the same if you get to itemize.

I agree, and I think that's what I said.

Taxman71
6/13/2006, 11:18 AM
Someone report this thread to Skull:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71149

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 11:28 AM
This is different. Skull wasn't carrying proof of insurance.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/13/2006, 11:34 AM
But Houston sure has a nice new baseball park, spanking new football stadium and brand new basketball arenas.

I bet they have the youngest average stadium age for the three major sports of all cities that have 3 major sports. Heck, probably younger than any other city that only has 2 major sports.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 11:37 AM
I've been to the new football and baseball stadiums in Houston, but not the basketball arena.

hurricane'bone
6/13/2006, 11:43 AM
But Houston sure has a nice new baseball park, spanking new football stadium and brand new basketball arenas.

I bet they have the youngest average stadium age for the three major sports of all cities that have 3 major sports. Heck, probably younger than any other city that only has 2 major sports.

Pittsburgh or Detroit might come close.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/13/2006, 11:47 AM
You should go. Since you're helping pay for it.

It's nice.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/13/2006, 11:53 AM
Pittsburgh or Detroit might come close.
The palace was around in the 80s. Pittsburgh's two stadiums opened in 2001 so that's close.