PDA

View Full Version : President of North Dakota U rips the NCAA a new one...

OklahomaTuba
6/13/2006, 08:20 AM
This is greatness. While long, its very much worth the time to read it.

To begin with, you asserted that any use of American Indian images or nicknames was hostile and abusive. Later you changed this to hostile or abusive – as if this were meaningful in some way. Some of your initial rhetoric actually encompassed nicknames derived from any race or ethnic group. Many of us heard Myles Brand in a radio interview say that “Fighting Irish” was not a problem nickname because (his words) it was really about leprechauns and not real people. Really?

We explained that we have a beautiful logo designed by a respected American Indian artist and that we use the nickname with consummate respect – expecting and getting respect for the Sioux culture from our fans. We pointed out that we do not do tomahawk chops, we do not have white guys painted up like Indians, and our fans do not do Indian chants.

In an amazing display of organizational arrogance, Walter Harrison, in answer to the following direct question at a recent news conference:

“Are there incidents the NCAA has recorded where it (UND) appears to be hostile and abusive?” he said, obviously ducking the question entirely:

“Today’s decision was to review whether the staff’s original decision was the right one. We tried to confine ourselves to that. We believe the use of the Fighting Sioux and the mascots [he is apparently still unaware that we do not have one] and imagery [ours was designed by an American Indian] that represents (sic) are hostile and abusive and we don’t believe the University has made a case to the contrary.” [emphasis added]

Evidence? What evidence? Courts tend to dismiss hearsay and to demand and rely on real evidence.

We invited you to come and see for yourself and you refused.

We now have your letter of May 15 in which you make reference to “substantial evidence,” but nowhere in the letter is this evidence described. In lieu of evidence, you simply cite “staff review,” apparently of hearsay testimony by various local and national groups. Most of these simply assert that they are opposed to any use of nicknames anywhere by anybody at any time.

The fundamental irrationality of calling what we do hostile and abusive – on the basis of no basis at all – and then saying that a white guy in war paint, carrying a flaming spear while riding a horse into a stadium, leading fans in a tomahawk chop while singing an Indian chant is okay should be obvious to any jury. Any who try to swallow this convoluted logic will choke on it.

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/logoappeal/openletter_6-07-06.html

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 08:26 AM
The guy makes sense to me, therefore the NCAA will ignore him.

MamaMia
6/13/2006, 08:27 AM
In the spirit of respecting a persons freedom of sexual preference and religion, I think the NCAA should not allow the words Gay and Lord to be used for any football stadium.

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 08:32 AM
Fighting Sioux and our logo are registered trademarks. The Federal Trademark Act of 1946 prohibits the registration of any mark that:

Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute.

The fact that our mark is registered would seem to rule out “hostility and abuse,” as well.

You'd think this would be a good point.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/13/2006, 08:33 AM
The University of Oklahoma Gay Lords...I like it! ;)

Now we need a logo of a feudal lord with some stereotypical show of gayness (NTTAWWT)...

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 08:36 AM
I like this letter!

Imagine a scenario in which we bow to the NCAA and remove every vestige of our connection to our traditional nickname, and we earn the right to host one of the exempted schools, say Florida State, in a championship game. Your policy would allow Florida State to come into town with its logo and nickname proudly displayed, led by someone who paints himself up like an Indian “on the warpath” and carries a flaming spear. He could ride into our stadium on a horse and lead FSU fans in a tomahawk chop and an Indian chant. This, while our fans, then the obvious victims of an unfair and irrational policy, seethe in rightful anger.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/13/2006, 08:56 AM
Screw the NCAA Fightin' Sioux! Keep your name!

Hockey season is the only time you'll be sweating it. Just stick some generic "NCAA Illegal Name" sign over your uniforms and logos and you're gold!

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2006, 10:03 AM
The NCAA may force them to change the name.

To the rest of us, they'll always be the Fighting Sioux.

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 10:06 AM
The NCAA may force them to change the name.

To the rest of us, they'll always be the Fighting Sioux.
Couldn't they just change to the "Fighting Sue" or "Su" or "Soooo"?

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2006, 10:07 AM
the Fightin' Pig Sooie.

Or not.

IB4OU2
6/13/2006, 10:32 AM

Fighting Sue Bees?

http://www.suebee.com/images/home/SueBee_simple5_03.gif

toast
6/13/2006, 10:34 AM
In a related story, North Dakota is now under investigation by the NCAA for rules violations...

seriously though, he does have some very valid points but as OUDoc said the NCAA will ignore them.

MamaMia
6/13/2006, 10:36 AM
In a related story, North Dakota is now under investigation by the NCAA for rules violations...

seriously though, he does have some very valid points but as OUDoc said the NCAA will ignore them.Are they really, or are you just joshin'?

toast
6/13/2006, 10:45 AM
Not that I'm aware of, just kidding around.

Osce0la
6/13/2006, 10:51 AM
"Fighting Sue" as in Lawsuit? I'd take this one to court. He makes some very valid points (all while taking shots at FSU for being able to have their name removed from the list). In all honesty, if we can have our names removed from the list of NCAA crap, I don't see why this school wouldn't be able to.

Tear Down This Wall
6/13/2006, 11:01 AM
The NCAA is full of crap on this one. If this goes to court, they'll get whipped. There's a body of law known as association law. Broken down in it's simplest form, the courts don't allow associations to have one set of standard for one member and a separate standard for another member. In the name of Led Zeppelin, the NCAA will be Trampled Under Foot in UND decided to go to court.

SoonerInFla
6/13/2006, 11:06 AM

That might offend Sue!

swardboy
6/13/2006, 11:45 AM
Someone propose to UND to change their name to the "Siouxners"....that'll fix it....wait,

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 11:50 AM
Don't get them started on the poor animal stereotypes perpetuated by certain teams' mascots. ;)

OUstudent4life
6/13/2006, 11:58 AM
Don't get them started on the poor animal stereotypes perpetuated by certain teams' mascots. ;)

Like horsepigs, and their love of mohawks?

OUDoc
6/13/2006, 12:01 PM
Like horsepigs, and their love of mohawks?
Can we turn ourselves in and get them banned?
I'm not a horsepig, but they offend me.

slickdawg
6/13/2006, 12:04 PM
the Fightin' Pig Sooie.

Or not.

Wait until the spinless PC cowards say that Arkansas' mascot insults the
muslims, and needs to be changed.

Ike
6/13/2006, 12:10 PM
no organization ever deserved a beatdown as much as the NCAA....

Cam
6/13/2006, 10:33 PM
I say the over/under is 2 years before this is a reality.

mdklatt
6/13/2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.suebee.com/images/home/SueBee_simple5_03.gif

Wrong state. Sue Bee is based in Iowa.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2006, 12:10 AM
I enjoy North Dakota's "**** off dip ****" response to the NCAA. :D