PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with Capel

CtheB
6/13/2006, 08:07 AM
Had an opportunity to spend 15 minutes with Capel at a charity golf tournament yesterday, and came away very impressed. Betts and Klein were also there and wanted to provide you some soundbites (paraphrased):

Regarding recruits leaving: "I don't want anyone at OU that may not want to be at OU."

Regarding underclassmen: "I cannot comment on how recruiting is going, especially with regards to underclassmen, but let's just say we're doing very well (with a snicker)."

Regarding AJ's development at the point: "Has been hurt since he came on campus, and just came back to full health last week, but haven't had much time to spend with him."

Longar's development: "He's got talent, but we've got to get him in shape."

Nate Carter: "Nate's going to have a big year. We've got some ways to get him in a position to let him do what he does best."

On OSU: "It's always healthy to have the rivalry, and even better when your rival is very good. I understand the Bedlam rivalry, and the rivalry with Texas, and compare it to my days at Duke (with Carolina), so the atmosphere is something I am used to."

Regarding Bobby Maze, because he signed after May 15, he is still open to other schools, and can reneg his letter of intent; however, Capel believes that he will be on campus this fall, and compete for the point. (At least this is what I recall.)

Nothing really big, other than this. Capel handles himself with a tremendous amount of poise for someone that is so young, and has so much pressure and responsibility. Betts and Klein are class acts as well. This guy deserves all that has come to him, and deserves our support to contribute to his success. He also seems to have a great balance of humble confidence when he speaks, which I think is a great attribute for a coach. There's little arrogance in his tone. Next year will be tough, but I have a feeling the team he puts on the court is going to be very very competitive, and win their fair share.

On an aside, the guy is huge. Hard to believe he ran the point at Duke.

I now know why Joe C hired him.

Newbomb Turk
6/13/2006, 11:49 AM
Did you tell him how you and oumartin ran Kelvin off? ;)

Good stuff - hope he's right about Nate.

Thanks for posting this.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
6/13/2006, 01:07 PM
Agreed.

Great stuff. Thanks.

NormanPride
6/13/2006, 01:19 PM
:les: HE SAID THE "B" WORD!!

;) I like this guy, b-word not withstanding.

oumartin
6/13/2006, 02:20 PM
Newbomb, just take Capels words and use them.
I don't want anyone at OU that doesn't wanna be here.

Calling Kelvin Sampson

Newbomb Turk
6/13/2006, 03:06 PM
Newbomb, just take Capels words and use them.
I don't want anyone at OU that doesn't wanna be here.

Calling Kelvin Sampson

I agree about that. I just like to get a dig in on you whenever the opportunity presents itself. :D

oumartin
6/13/2006, 03:08 PM
go ahead and kick me when i'm down...
start kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 04:05 PM
On an aside, the guy is huge. Hard to believe he ran the point at Duke.

yeah, i saw a pic of him in action maybe at Insider someone has as a sig....and Coach JC is a bit bigger than he was then....but JC sr. is a pretty big guy. it may just be the way of things.