PDA

View Full Version : Interview Follow-up Advice

Boomhauer
6/13/2006, 07:23 AM
As some of you know last Wednesday I went in for an interview with the Athletic Director at a local school. He told me that he had a couple of more guys to interview (I dont know when he was to interview them) and then he would call. I followed up with a "thank you" email and he responded on Friday that he will keep me up to date on the progress. My question is: When is the appropriate time to call and see where they are at on their search for this position? I don't want to bug him but at the same time I don't want to NOT BE NOTIFIED if I didn't get the job.

What do you guys think?

BoomerJack
6/13/2006, 07:27 AM
I suggest you follow up no sooner than June 26. That's over 2 & 1/2 weeks since your interview.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/13/2006, 08:05 AM
Did he say when he would be making a decision? I think it is good that you immediately followed up with the thank you email. He knows you are interested in the job.

Boomhauer
6/13/2006, 08:17 AM
He did not say when he would be making a dicision. He told me that he would interview a couple more guys then make a decision on who is to go in front of the education board for an interview. I am kicking myself for not asking if he had a timetable to conclude the athletic interviews!!!!

etouffee
6/13/2006, 08:51 AM
contact him and tell him you need some idea of the decision timeline because you have another opportunity but his is the one you prefer. he'll either give you the timeline or tell you to take the other opportunity. that way you'll know you're still in the running or out.

BajaOklahoma
6/13/2006, 08:54 AM
And I would go back and delete from this board the specific info about the job you applied for - do you really want him to find this and figure out it was you?

Partial Qualifier
6/13/2006, 09:11 AM
Dont email back anymore - call him every 4 days or so, to let him know you're "still interested in the job". Just leave it at that. If he doesn't answer, leave a voicemail and check again in a few days.

tbl
6/13/2006, 09:19 AM
but don't over-leave voicemails... The 4 days rule is a pretty good one.

Boomhauer
6/13/2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys and gals....if I don't hear from him in the next couple of days then I will check back with him on Thursday.

picasso
6/13/2006, 09:50 AM
good luck!

JohnnyMack
6/13/2006, 09:52 AM
I suggest a laser sighted sniper rifle, some late night phone calls and a ghillie suit.

walkoffsooner
6/13/2006, 10:01 AM
I suggest a laser sighted sniper rifle, some late night phone calls and a ghillie suit.
Make him give you the job. They like aggressive people in that job.

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2006, 10:05 AM
Or...

Suggest a time to meet in a dark alley sometime this week.

Then get one of your buddies to meet him there. Make sure he brings a pipe. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/13/2006, 10:17 AM
Call his wife.

Partial Qualifier
6/13/2006, 10:23 AM
On second thought, call him back right now and tell him you'll "See his *** on Monday morning" and you'll have your "****ing tools"

And showcase your customer service skills by adding something like "these ****ers, they gotta buy"

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/13/2006, 10:25 AM
'...and I'll bring my shoes...so I'll have them...'

toast
6/13/2006, 10:27 AM
Call him and confirm that the job includes boy's locker room duty, that should help tremendously. YWIA.

picasso
6/13/2006, 10:29 AM
oh man.

RacerX
6/13/2006, 11:11 AM
7 days.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/13/2006, 11:27 AM
How about if he waits six weeks to call? He could tell he found his number while Ihe was cleaning out his wallet, He can't remember where they met. He can ask him what he looks like and then ask him if they ****ed. How about that? Would that be money?

Jimminy Crimson
6/13/2006, 11:32 AM
How about if he waits six weeks to call? He could tell he found his number while Ihe was cleaning out his wallet, He can't remember where they met. He can ask him what he looks like and then ask him if they ****ed. How about that? Would that be money?

Seriously, who cleans out their wallet? :confused:

toast
6/13/2006, 12:14 PM
Seriously, who cleans out their wallet? :confused:

My wife and kids take care of that on a regular basis. :(

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/13/2006, 12:19 PM
Don't worry. He'll call. Why wouldn't he?

walkoffsooner
6/13/2006, 12:25 PM
Did someone with big boob's apply also?:D

Jimminy Crimson
6/13/2006, 12:36 PM
My wife and kids take care of that on a regular basis. :(

You're not kidding! :eddie:

Boomhauer
6/13/2006, 11:58 PM

That is what I keep telling myself!

Boomhauer
6/13/2006, 11:58 PM
Did someone with big boob's apply also?:D

If she did I want to be her assistant!!!!!!

Okla-homey
6/14/2006, 05:26 AM
I'm gonna shoot straight with you. Based entirely on what you've posted about the interviewer's post-interview comments and the time which has lapsed since, I'm afraid you're not really "in the hunt" for this job.

I say that based on personal experience and that of people close to me which has taught me that if an interviewee is the leading candidate or even really competitive for the gig, the guy interviewing can usually find a discrete way to communicate that fact.

OTOH, when the interviewee gets the "thanks for playing, we're gonna see a few more guys, don't call us, we'll call you" stuff from the interviewer, it usually means either a) the interviewee did well, but the interviewer has his wife's cousin in mind for the job -or- b) they are going to hire from inside and the interview is merely a facade to give the appearance of objectivity to the board.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake.